Creature — Goblin
When Munitions Expert enters the battlefield, you may have it deal damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the number of Goblins you control.
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Munitions Expert Discussion
4 months ago
5 months ago
You miss Devastating Summons. I've been playing this deck also in major tournaments, and this combo Summons + Whacker is the main kill of the deck. I would not play less than 3 Summons.
As you splash black, you have a all-indicated companion to play : Lurrus of the Dream-Den.
Your land choice are not the best clearly. I would recommend to play Auntie's Hovel, Blood Crypt and Blackcleave Cliffs alongside basic mountains. For budget issue, replace cliffs by your Unclaimed Territory why not, but do not play Dragonskull Summit because you have many non-mountain lands.
I am unsure about Munitions Expert and Light Up the Stage. The expert is situational and needs conditions, while the sorcery spell is not triggered before combat so it slows down our main plan. Since we play black, I wonder me if a Thoughtseize effect would not be better for not being disrupted in our game plan which allows at our opponent to play. The question would be Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek ?
Finally, I am happy to see no Burning-Tree Emissary as they are bad with Goblin Bushwhacker. In my opinion, they are great when we play Manamorphose to fix mana issue as well as digging for the combo.
In sideboard, I think that you want some Fatal Push to defend yourself against Kor Firewalker etc, Thoughtseize effect against combo, some graveyard answers like Nihil Spellbomb which can be recast with Lurrus, some anti-Chalice of the Void like Smash to Smithereens.
I will start with a list like that : (18 lands) 4 Auntie's hovel, 4 Blood crypt, 4 Blackcleave cliffs, 2 Bloodstained mire, 4 Mountains. // (28 creatures) 4 Goblin guide, 4 Foundry street denizen, 4 Mogg fanatic, 4 SPike jester, 4 Legion loyalist, 8 Bushwhackers. // (14 spells) 4 Lightning bolt, 4 Goblin grenade, 3 Devastating summons, 3 Inquisition of Kozilek or Thoughtseize (meta call). // Sideboard: Lurrus of the dream-den, 4 Fatal push, 2 Thoughtseize, 4 Nihil spellbomb, 4 Smash to smithereens.
I hope I would help you fellow goblin ! What do you think about all that ? :)
6 months ago
Awesome build, always wanted to try her out myself. Have you ever considered running Munitions Expert at all? His synergy w/ Wort's ability is pretty high, and its great for extra removal.
8 months ago
To remove: Aggressive Mammoth, Byway Courier Chittering Witch, Footlight Fiend,Gluttonous Troll,Gruul Spellbreaker, Judith, the Scourge Diva,Keeper of Fables, Ogre Siegebreaker, Primordial Wurm, Rapacious Dragon, Rubblebelt Rioters, Sengir Vampire, Spark Reaper, Sphinx of the Guildpact, Spikewheel Acrobat, Vindictive Vampire, Woodland Champion, Zhur-Taa Goblin
To add: Eternal Witness,Squee, the Immortal,Zulaport Cutthroat, Vexing Shusher, Goblin Matron, Munitions Expert, Krenko, Mob Boss, Warteye Witch, Sling-Gang Lieutenant, Goblin Trashmaster, Putrid Goblin, Dockside Extortionist, Arasta of the Endless Web, Creakwood Liege,Dragonlair Spider, Viscera Seer, Ayara, First of Locthwain, Pitiless Plunderer, Poison-Tip Archer, Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Deathrite Shaman
11 months ago
- Not sure what your budget is but here are cards I would recommend:
- For starts Id get black in your board it helps a lot beacuse: Sling-Gang Lieutenant and Munitions Expert are amazing
- I would put in 1 (max 2) Krenko, Mob Boss when it lands it accelerates hard
- Goblin Ringleader a play set is 1$ and helps the deck a lot.
- Pashalik Mons can help the deck for when your small goblins die, I would run 1
- Goblin Warchief seems amazing
- Goblin Matron lets you find the perfect goblin always
- Goblin Chieftain typically lords (+1/+1 to a creature type) is an auto 4 of. However if you are more mid-range comboy then dont have as many
- Mogg War Marshal the echo seems really bad at first but then you have death triggers which is free damage so its good id have 4
- Goblin Piledriver Gets very big and blue creatures cannot block it, and cannot be targeted by blue bounce spells. (can still be countered though :( )
- Goblin Cratermaker is a goblin that is cheap removal
- Skirk Prospector lets you play big goblins sooner. Can also synergize well with cards being there is the death trigger. You could swing for 10 then sac 10 goblins draining them for 10, which kills them with 10 power on the board.
- Mogg Fanatic is a oldy but goody, Its worth considering 1.
- Tarfire if you want to be memey this technically counts as a goblin (which means you can search for it as if it was a goblin even though its an instant).
- Aether Vial is a big money card but sooooo much fun
- Auntie's Hovel helps your mana base and so does Cavern of Souls id play 4 of each with unlimited money
- Bloodstained Mire is great it filters and can find Blood Crypt I would then run 4 mountains and one swamp. You want to run about 22 lands here no less then 21. Generally for deck construction going below 19 lands is a bad idea (minus a few combo decks, but they run a lot of blue filter cards).
- Blood Moon is a funny card to run
- Goblin Chainwhirler can be fun as well
- If artifacts are a problem then play Goblin Trashmaster
- Black also gets you Earwig Squad
- Another way to build it would be like this: OmniGoblin which is a combo kinda deck
1 year ago
Liking this! Not too sold on sword of the paruns though. Thoughts on more rocks like Talisman of Resilience ?
1 year ago
I was thinking of old krenko, from back when I was still mucking about with goblin lists.
Run some tests with spike jester and see if you like it there- I've played it in the past and its fine. Not amazing, just fine. Jund Hackblade is similar, but more conditional, and Goblin Deathraiders is bad. Thats the multicolour goblins covered- its quite unexciting. Mad Auntie is a lord that doesn't offer evasion, and is therefore better as any of the red lords, but might be worth it in a hyper-budget list.
Auntie's Snitch and Squee, Goblin Nabob are an interesting card advantage engine (which is hated out by the same cards as dredge), but can make for a fun Zombie Infestation list. Stinkdrinker Bandit would be good if enough good goblin rogues existed. Warren Weirding is an interesting hybrid removal/token spell, but still sub-par.
With the meta up in the air as far as competitive modern goes, I don't feel too confident getting more specific than 'playtest'.
Stoneforge means plans for a t3 Batterskull are a must, as well as a plan for Ensnaring Bridge (hence me looking at Angrath's Rampage or Rakdos Charm ), but past that just playtest and see what you like. See if any rakdos burn lists show up on a metagame site for you to pinch the sideboard/spells from.
1 year ago
In terms of budget lands, Graven Cairns is cheap because of multiple printings, and fixes both ways instantly. Foreboding ruins, dragonskull and a couple of these will run fine, even if it doesn't leave space for Ghost Quarter and friends.
When assessing lands its also worth looking at hate cards too- Blood Moon , Ghost Quarter , Field of Ruin etc. Mono red ignores them almost entirely, while the more colour requirements your deck has the more they are punished by them.
That said, Black/red offers a lot in terms of sideboard.
From Thoughtseize / Duress to Kolaghan's Command / Rakdos Charm , tech like Rain of Gore / Everlasting Torment and kill spells like Angrath's Rampage , Dreadbore and Terminate , there are a whole suite of tools that become available. If your meta calls for those tools it can be completely worth it.
In terms of strategy, that toolbox lets you take it to the midgame more consistently. If your idea of goblins is activating krenko, black red is where you want to be, because it can keep him on the field. If you want to rush as fast as possible, the question is whether Munitions Expert and the sideboard tools is good enough to be worth it. Siege as a 4 drop is more suited to a midrange 'value' goblins, which likes saccing goblins for direct damage- but its not the same deck.