Creature — Goblin Pirate
, Sacrifice Fanatical Firebrand: It deals 1 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.
Printings View all
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Fanatical Firebrand occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.37%
Fanatical Firebrand Discussion
2 months ago
You miss Devastating Summons. I've been playing this deck also in major tournaments, and this combo Summons + Whacker is the main kill of the deck. I would not play less than 3 Summons.
As you splash black, you have a all-indicated companion to play : Lurrus of the Dream-Den.
Your land choice are not the best clearly. I would recommend to play Auntie's Hovel, Blood Crypt and Blackcleave Cliffs alongside basic mountains. For budget issue, replace cliffs by your Unclaimed Territory why not, but do not play Dragonskull Summit because you have many non-mountain lands.
I am unsure about Munitions Expert and Light Up the Stage. The expert is situational and needs conditions, while the sorcery spell is not triggered before combat so it slows down our main plan. Since we play black, I wonder me if a Thoughtseize effect would not be better for not being disrupted in our game plan which allows at our opponent to play. The question would be Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek ?
Finally, I am happy to see no Burning-Tree Emissary as they are bad with Goblin Bushwhacker. In my opinion, they are great when we play Manamorphose to fix mana issue as well as digging for the combo.
In sideboard, I think that you want some Fatal Push to defend yourself against Kor Firewalker etc, Thoughtseize effect against combo, some graveyard answers like Nihil Spellbomb which can be recast with Lurrus, some anti-Chalice of the Void like Smash to Smithereens.
I will start with a list like that : (18 lands) 4 Auntie's hovel, 4 Blood crypt, 4 Blackcleave cliffs, 2 Bloodstained mire, 4 Mountains. // (28 creatures) 4 Goblin guide, 4 Foundry street denizen, 4 Mogg fanatic, 4 SPike jester, 4 Legion loyalist, 8 Bushwhackers. // (14 spells) 4 Lightning bolt, 4 Goblin grenade, 3 Devastating summons, 3 Inquisition of Kozilek or Thoughtseize (meta call). // Sideboard: Lurrus of the dream-den, 4 Fatal push, 2 Thoughtseize, 4 Nihil spellbomb, 4 Smash to smithereens.
I hope I would help you fellow goblin ! What do you think about all that ? :)
2 months ago
Updated list with newer print cards:
Castle Embereth comes in over a basic mountain;
Added maybeboard goodies:
2 months ago
Birthing Pod can't be played in this color combo due to it having Green Phyrexian mana, but consider adding these:
Deflecting Swat, for protection/interaction
Ignore that, and run Mass Hysteria
3 months ago
Looks good! I might sub Mogg Fanatic or Fanatical Firebrand for Stormblood Berserker to stay on theme. Also, I'm not sure if you're going to get a ton of value off of Harness the Storm, given that this deck wants to win fast. You might playtest Cavalcade of Calamity or Guttersnipe instead - both are good budget options and both pair nicely with Chandra's Spitfire.
3 months ago
Hi Spell_Slam. You made some great points about your suggested cards. I've had to think quite about each pick to decide if my current selection of cards is better for each one you recommended. Here are my thoughts:
- Sanctum of Ugin is a very narrow tutor with very specific conditions and a very specific set of cards it can find. I currently run the following four tutors that can find any card: Demonic Tutor, Gamble, Rune-Scarred Demon, and Vampiric Tutor. I think these are better choices for a tutor slot.
- I agree with you on Bedevil. It's already in the deck :)
- For "enablers" (cards that help you cast your commander), I prefer straight up guaranteed damage on a card to the repeatable but also conditional damage that Retreat to Hagra offers. The same thinking applies to Bitterblossom. In particular, I've deliberately built my version to be as fast as possible (the MTG concept of tempo is in play here). So I'm wary of waiting a turn for anything to happen with these cards. Considering I only need one point of damage to an opponent to cast my commander, I'd rather cast a card that can immediately enable Rakdos, Lord of Riots to hit the field.
- What's interesting about Bloodgift Demon is that it does multiple things but does those things worse than other cards. Realistically, I'm not going to give an opponent a card for 1 damage to them, so of course I'll be drawing the cards. Thus, in terms of drawing cards it reads "3BB: draw a card next turn and take 1 point of damage". Which doesn't sound that great. Obviously it's also a flying creature and therefore can get the damage needed for our commander. But so can Fanatical Firebrand but it's just 1 mana. For these reasons, I had a hard time justifying Bloodgift Demon in the deck (I've previously played it so I have experience with it). I'm not saying "I'm right" here, just that I've found tjhe deck to be much smoother with low-cmc enablers and high-cmc finishers. The midrange costs of 4, 5, 6 mana are tough slots to fill and REALLY need to justify themselves. This is also the thinking behind me leaving Solemn Simulacrum on the sidelines.
- Regarding Wheel of Fortune and Reforge the Soul, I definitely get what you're saying. I can't say you're wrong at all. For me, this comes down to personal preference. I can't tell you how bad it feels to draw 7 and get not much of anything I need while giving my opponents 21 cards to choose from. I'd rather let my opponents do the work to draw their own cards rather than hand them answers to my board state.
Thanks for your comments. I'm definitely open to further discussion about your suggestions. In particular, if you can recommend cards I might remove to put in the cards you suggested, I think that would help facilitate future discussion. It's find that it's easy to suggest cards but much harder to suggest specific swaps, as often the swap doesn't look so good once you realize what's coming out of the deck.
3 months ago
Maybe something like Cathartic Reunion would be decent to help run through the library if just the Discovery / Dispersal aren't enough, ditch any bum draws, and even help fuel an escaped Kroxa if necessary. Maybe cut down on some of the Fanatical Firebrand and Murderous Rider for them?
4 months ago
Yeah, it does. Funny thing, though, if you win before that turn ends, then you essentially just got a free turn. It's the same idea as Prime Time using Summoner's Pact on turn 2. If you'd like a walkthrough of the combo: Solemnity prevents counters from being placed on creatures. Fanatical Firebrand sacrifices itself to deal 1 damage to any target. Luminous Broodmoth would rez it with a flying counter on it, except it doesn't get a counter because Solemnity. SO: T3, Solemnity. Not a very useful card in Pioneer, and unlikely to be targeted if you have bigger threats on the table. T4, Fanatical Firebrand, then Chance for Glory. Now, you have two parts of the combo set up, and an extra turn. Extra turn, cast Luminous Broodmoth. Then, sacrifice Firebrand, dealing 1 damage to your opponent's face. Broodmoth brings it back because it doesn't have flying, but then the counter is not placed on it because of Solemnity, so you sacrifice the Firebrand again. Keep saccing and rezzing the Firebrand until your opponent is dead. You win the game because your opponent is dead, and because the game ended, the "lose the game" trigger from Chance for Glory never resolves.