|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield, its controller draws a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Kavu Lair Discussion
1 month ago
I adore Trostani, Selesnya's Voice as a commander. This was one of my own first "good" commander decks and can be made very powerful on a pretty low budget. I'll name off some of the best cards for the deck here.
Phyrexian Processor: This is just stupid good. Wait until you have 8 open mana and your commander in play. Cast this card, and once it resolves pay almost all of your life into it (leave just enough not to get burnt out at instant speed, just in case). Then immediately activate the ability, generating a massive token and gaining back all the life you just spent instantly. You now have access to a 30+/30+ token that you can populate or generate a new one from the artifact every turn, gaining you a ton of life as well. Congrats, you pretty much can't die to combat damage except from commanders anymore.
Angelic Accord / Crested Sunmare : Gain life from something, make a token with a nice keyword at the end of the turn and gain extra life. Populate that token during your opponent's turn to gain more life, and get another token from this card at the end of that turn as well. This should churn out about 2 good tokens between each of your turns not including what you get from populating, quickly getting out of hand.
Darien, King of Kjeldor: Whenever you get hit, you get that many tokens. Whenever you make tokens, you gain life equal to their toughness. You now can not take damage unless it kills you in a single hit, and people running into you anyways gains you tokens.
Storm Herd: I'm usually in the camp of "Go tall tokens" with Trostani, but this card is the exception. Nothing ends a game like 40+ flying tokens and doubling your life total.
Aetherflux Reservoir: It's a good idea to have a backup win strategy, especially if you have any turbo-fog or other pillow fort decks in your meta. Pay 50 life to kill an opponent if very doable with Trostani.
Ajani Goldmane: Gaining a couple life isn't a threat. Making your tokens bigger and vigilant is situationally good, but isn't why we're here. Getting to 6 loyalty ang generating a token that's power and toughness fluxuates with your life total means you get to double your life total and the power/toughness of all these tokens every time you populate. Just try to fly under the radar before that.
Rootborn Defenses: Get an extra populate trigger, but more importantly save yourself from a board wipe. Keep your big tokens in play, and kill everyone in a single shot while the shields are down.
1 month ago
Hi there, awesome deck and a great inspiration for my maybe-board!
I found a couple things missing in your list that i was curious about:
Kavu Lair is symmetrical, but not really when you’re playing omnath ..
Do you know of Three Visits?
And Primal Vigor?
the new Circuitous Route from GRN?
I’m sure your list is impossibly tight, but these options i think merit at least consideration if you didn’t know of them yet.
Either way +1. If you happen to be able to glance at my new list. It could use some help :)
2 months ago
For an example of a static ability, lets say Darkest Hour and Crovax, Ascendant Hero enter the battlefield at the same time, possibly as the result of a Genesis Wave. Crovax's ability immediately starts apply to himself (as he isn't white), making him a 3/3. There is no period of time in which he's a 4/4, so Kavu Lair would not trigger off him entering.
3 months ago
I am not sure what to cut for these suggestions. Pathbreaker Ibex Colossal Majesty Zendikar Resurgent Elemental Bond Kavu Lair Whisperwood Elemental Temur Sabertooth &Rowensince you are going all in on Forests.
3 months ago
Kavu Lair (I hate giving opponents cards), Wood Elves (love that you can use the forest immediately, and doesn't die as easily, but 1 mana is just better in my opinion), Sakura-Tribe Elder (for similar reasons!), Caldera Hellion (Useful, but 5 mana is a lot for a sweeper in comparison to Rolling Earthquake, Electrickery, Pyroclasm, or Sweltering Suns) would be my drops for the dorks.
8 months ago
Wurms are the best! I run a Saskia Wurms list. To maximize your wurms though, you need to majorly increase your ramp. Start with the usual suspects of Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Rampant Growth, Nature's Lore, Skyshroud Claim, Explosive Vegetation, and Ranger's Path. You're cmc is over 5 right now, so you want as much mana as possible!
I'd also add some more draw. Elemental Bond & Triumph of Ferocity should both draw you plenty of cards. Kavu Lair is another choice, and since it helps other people the table may be more likely to let it stick around. Its not my first choice, but Overwhelming Instinct is so wurm-flavor heavy that it should be considered for that art alone.
From your maybe like Lurking Predators is great, and Zendikar Resurgent will help a lot with mana and draw. I also like Evolutionary Leap for when board-wipes hit. But definitely start with more ramp!!
9 months ago
Okay so I can tell you're a relative novice, since most of the cards you use are recent, so here are my thoughts as a long-time player.
1) mana concerns. You have a LOT of dorks, but that's not exactly optimal. In commander, there tend to be a lot of board wipes (example: Wrath of God). This just throws your gameplan to the wind. Try some rocks and ramp. Sol Ring, Exploration, Burgeoning, Worn Powerstone, Hedron Archive, Cultivate, Traverse the Outlands, Skyshroud Claim, and Emerald Medallion are good examples.
2) flavor. Lots of big things, but not a lot of really good things. Wurmcoil Engine, Blightsteel Colossus, Archetype of Endurance provides some much-needed resistance to removal, Mossbridge Troll to just surprise kill an opponent, Siege Behemoth to power through chump-blocking, Steel Hellkite for removal, Thunderfoot Baloth, and if you want a little out-there synergy, Beacon Behemoth, Paleoloth, and Spearbreaker Behemoth are all pretty cool.
3) draw. Or lack thereof. All right there isn't that much to suggest here (it's green, for heaven's sake). But Soul of the Harvest, Zendikar Resurgent, Elemental Bond, maybe Kavu Lair: all good options. For some burst draw, it doesn't get much better than Soul's Majesty and Rishkar's Expertise. Others include Mouth / Feed and Shamanic Revelation.
So yeah, that's most of what I got, other than Prowling Serpopard. Against Todd's blue deck.
10 months ago
TheDeckMaker2300: I actually have a huge update coming to the deck next Friday. I'm adding 19 cards to the deck.
- Huatli, Radiant Champion: Flavor and she's my favorite planeswalker.
- Zetalpa, Primal Dawn: Zetalpa is a primal and is a must.
- Frilled Deathspitter: Deals 2 damage to the face.
- Ghalta, Primal Hunger: Ghalta is a primal and is a must.
- Etali, Primal Storm: Etali is a primal and is a must.
- Farseek: Not a RIX card, but I want to change around my ramp cards.
- Spoils of Victory: Not a RIX card, but I want to change around my ramp cards.
- Nature's Lore: Not a RIX card, but I want to change around my ramp cards.
- Kavu Lair: A cheaper Garruk's Packleader.
- Forerunner of the Empire: Enrage trigger and tutor.
- Polyraptor: A great enrage card.
- Pyrohemia: Enrage trigger.
- Siegehorn Ceratops: A 2 drop that gets huge fast.
- Zacama, Primal Calamity: A huge 9/9 with amazing abilities! A great commander too.
- Trapjaw Tyrant: Enrage creature that's removal.
- Wayward Swordtooth: A nice 5/5 that acts as mana ramp.
- Silverclad Ferocidons: A nice enrage creature that's removal.
- Raging Regisaur: A okay enrage enabler, but is a 4 drop.
- Knight of the Stampede: A huge reducer on a creature.