|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Mercadian Masques (MMQ)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
You may return three Islands you control to their owner's hand rather than pay Thwart's mana cost.
Counter target spell.
3 weeks ago
Changing to all your Island s to Snow-Covered Island s is a good idea, if you want to keep the Extraplanar Lens . I don't think it's good enough, though. It costs you a land to imprint when it comes in, meaning it is fundamentally a source of card advantage. And, especially if you're the only one benefiting from Extraplanar Lens due to snow shenanigans, it has a massive target on its face and will usually be removed fast. That has been my experience with the card -- if yours is different, disregard this part of my comment.
With regard to the cutting of mass removal, I think it is an idea in the right direction. However, I think removal in general isn't a bad idea. I think you should be buying time in the early game until your general comes down, trying to avoid getting killed. Spot removal like Winds of Rebuke , Chain of Vapor , Cyclonic Rift , Rapid Hybridization and Reality Shift are all worth considering. Bounce has an interesting bonus in that it often wastes an opponent's turn to recast whatever you bounced. Most of these spells are less mana than Nevinyrral's Disk , All Is Dust , etc., which means they shouldn't compete with casting your general too often. Theoretically, you'd turn 1 - 2.5 ramp, turn 3 - 4 ramp/remove, turn 5+ cast general and try to win. Notice that this brings up one of the issues with mono-blue: removal, at least in a permanent sense like Swords to Plowshares , is relatively hard to come by.
With regard to cuts, I think it's worth thinking of the tutors as 'Wild Cards.' Tutors act as any combo piece they can fetch -- for instance, Muddle the Mixture can be thought of as a slower copy of either Isochron Scepter OR Dramatic Reversal . Seeing the tutors in this light helps show that you only really need to run one or two loops, as drawing the 'second part' of the combo becomes more and more likely with more and more tutors.
If you want to run the Dramatic Scepter combo, I suggest cutting a bunch of the Palinchron loops. Palinchron is a huge spell to cast, meaning it is difficult to cast. Running Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal and another infinite-mana combo (I suggest Grand Architect with Pili-Pala or Basalt Monolith with Rings of Brighthearth ) is likely enough, and all these combos are less mana intense than the Palinchron loops.
Cuts I suggest are as follows:
- Thwart : Both costs on this card are prohibitive. Leaving four mana up in order to hardcast it means using four less mana on your turn, which can leave a major dent in your available resources. Returning three Island s is the antithesis of ramp, and sets you way back.
- Rite of Replication : Unless I am missing something, this is in the deck for value. However, it is nine mana to cast in a way that is better than Stunt Double , and because tokens stop existing when they're bounced, the creature it makes is less durable than other Clone effects. Rite of Replication is a good card, but I don't think it is good enough to make it in a cEDH deck.
- Heartstone : This is a card I'm not sure either way about. Once you make infinite mana, its cost-reducing effect is irrelevant; before, it may be worse than just a Ponder or Preordain . Depending on how often you want to use a non-combo win, it may be worth cutting. Playtesting will iron this out.
- Swiftfoot Boots : I don't think you need both this AND Lightning Greaves . I think Lightning Greaves is straight better, if only because it costs no mana to equip.
- Darksteel Forge : By the time you've gotten to nine-mana, you should be threatening to win the game any turn. If this is meant to make your blockers better-off in combat, Propaganda is a straight better choice.
- Treasure Mage : If you take my advise and go with combo pieces with lower costs, this card won't fetch enough to justify its inclusion.
- Alloy Myr : In this list, Alloy Myr is just a worse Silver Myr .
- Ring of Three Wishes : The tutors I suggested are much cheaper than this card. Five mana to cast and five to activate is too much, most of the time; you'd be better off with Whir of Invention , which has the added bonus of being instant-speed.
6 months ago
1) Replaced Thwart with Force of Will for 0 cost hard-counterspell, as the first is ideal when Stasis in play, but in other circumstances returning 3 island to my hand would put me too much behind in the following turns.
3) Done some changes to the boardwipe section. As much as I love Fumigate for the extra lifegain effect, I'd rather have a different result than simply destroying creatures (already achieved through Supreme Verdict or some of the choices provided by Cleansing Nova and Austere Command ): the choice fell on Terminus , as the bottom of the library is a worst place than the graveyard for decks lacking tutoring, plus it can deal with indestructible creatures; the miracle casting cost is of course a plus in a deck that can control what it is being drawn next. Also, Planar Cleansing was too much of a drawback for me and the casting cost has to be considered: I find Cyclonic Rift a much better alternative to set back the opponents.
9 months ago
I've always found both quite good to be able to replay tapped islands and keep the lock on while acting as counterspell (Daze is not a hard one, but against a stasis deck is not that common for the opponent to have an extra mana to spend).
11 months ago
Continuing from above...
Given Bruna's high CMC you're usually tapped out after casting her. I'd recommend some of the cards below to ensure you get to attack with her next turn.
All the above have alternate ways to cast them even when you're tapped out.
I'd replace all the lands that enters the battlefield tapped with those that enters untapped.
Cavern of Souls ensures Bruna can't be countered.
Hallowed Fountain will be reprinted soon along with the other fetches so it's timely to grab one for cheap!
You can also consider the relevant Panoramas. Bant Panorama and Esper Panorama fetch both island and plains. It's slightly more versatile than Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds as the former an be tapped for and crafted only when we need that colored source. The trade off is of course the activation cost.
Hope you find my suggestions useful!
11 months ago
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 4 | 7 COMMENTS | 207 VIEWS
Feel free to give suggestions too if Esper is your thing.
You're absolutely right about the heavy reliance on Tatyova as the main card draw engine. I've very little protection for her though (only a handful of Counterspells and Sylvan Safekeeper as the main protector). With a good draw, this deck threatens to win on turns 4/5, or even as early as turn 3 so I didn't invest heavily in her protection.
In the unfortunate event she gets removed, I'd continue ramping and the next time I cast her, will be the turn I try to combo off for the win.
You're right that Hurricane and Squall Line are double-edged weapons and I do take damage from them too. Glacial Chasm is my protection against cases whereby I've less HP than opponents. The lifegain from Tatyova helps alot and more often than not, I'd have the most HP in the group (unless there're dedicated life gain decks around).
I've considered Mana Breach before but it fits better in a control archetype whereas this deck is combo based. Very often, I can cast 10-20 spells a turn while comboing off and Breach would actually hamper this as it'd return all my lands to my hand, stopping the combo (e.g. I'd have no more lands to untap via Turnabout).
Horn of Greed is an interesting card. It could be a redundancy for my commander if she gets removed too often and becomes too expensive to recast. Good suggestion, I'd try to grab hold of one!
You're absolutely right that Words of Wind doesn't allow us to target which permanent gets returned, however my aim is to return as many permanents as possible within the same turn. Opponents' mana base will be severely crippled once they start to return several lands per turn as most of them can only lay 1 land each turn. Most opponents would scoop up once this lock is established.
For the land ramp spells, all spells are under consideration as I try to find the best ones for the deck. I'd really like to try out Philoctetes's pet card Pir's Whim and some of those you've suggested above. Please keep the suggestions coming!
Speaking of Carpet of Flowers, I do have mono-blue players in my play groups so it's a possible include. It's under my KIV list atm. I do try to make the deck as generic as possible, being able to handle most decks without having to swap cards in and out depending on match up.
As for Stroke of Genius vs Blue Sun's Zenith, both have their merits and it boils down to personal preference. I just prefer Stroke's base cost of over Blue's . In times when I want to mill my opponents, I agree that Blur is better likely you rightly pointed out. Cheers!
I've opted to go with a Spellslinger build so am keeping the deck very creature-lite.
This deck doesn't have any "infinite combo" per say and I must say I probably use the words loosely for convenience sake.
Unfortunately, I don't stay in Germany though, else I'd love to meet up for games too. You may want to use the Playtest function that tappedout offers to try this deck out. Hopefully you can draw into an explosive hand and get addicted to this deck as much as I do!
Thank you once again for your suggestions. It is obvious you've put in serious thoughts about each of them and I appreciate it alot!
1 year ago
I'm not sure Vesuva combos with Arixmethes because it enters the battlefield as the copy and would then also have slumber counters. Other than for the combo, the alternate casting cost cards like Thwart require a strong emphasis on lands with the island type. Since Breeding Pool, and Tropical Island are the only duals in GU, I'd rather have more basics than Vesuva. Thanks for the input SenseiRamen!
1 year ago
Here's a list of real cards I suggested:
Green Creature Tutors
Blue Artifact Tutors
Here is a list of cards I also think would do well:
Life from the Loam (Replace Tatyova triggers with this, and you get a very... weird game, I suggest you run Buried Ruin, Haunted Fengraf, etc. for a more desired effect.) I honestly am unsure if this is worth it, but it is an effect I would like you to see if you want or not.
1 year ago
Thwartheb je gelijk in, maar je kan meestal genoeg recuren
Vanmiddag bedacht ik me orecies hetzelfde met Song of the Dryads dus die gaan vervangen worden
Ior Ruin Expedition is inderdaad niet heel denderend maar voorde early game start wel prima, maar als ik er zo over nadenk is ramp op die plek dan beter
En Storm Cauldron staat er maar 1x in. Misschien omdat hij meerdere tags heeft? Maar dat hebben wel meerdere.
Thnx voor het meedenken!
Thwart occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%