Return target creature from your graveyard to your hand. Cipher (Then you may exile this spell card encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player, its controller may play a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.)
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Midnight Recovery Discussion
11 months ago
1) I was in the Addams Family (the musical) and I still love it.
2) Kindred Discovery , Vanquisher's Banner , Metallic Mimic , Curious Obsession , and some cipher spells (good ones include Last Thoughts , Mental Vapors , Midnight Recovery , Stolen Identity , and Undercity Plague ).
1 year ago
Creatures: Rakdos, Lord of Riots makes you jump through hoops to cast, then only really benefits creatures which you are light on. Although I love the flavor, it may be an upgrade target. Something like Vial Smasher the Fierce or Sire Of Insanity could keep the flavor but give better long term results.
Speaking of your creatures, over 90% cost 4+. You will need defense if unable to stay below suspicion. Which brings me to removal... Most of it is targeted or sorcery. In the colors where you will make each opponent angry, you NEED the flexibility to remove when needed. Or the very least, remove everything (board wipe) to buy time, ie: Damnation, Blasphemous Act... cards like that will keep the board clear till you can play the big X spells FTW. Midnight Recovery only targets your grave, which will most likely not have a target. Possibly Animate Dead or Beacon of Unrest would be a better fit. Sadistic Sacrament will, at best, anger 1 opponent. Most likely the 1 who is the most ahead. Why turn that chair? Secondly, Stitch Together also only works for your grave, which will most likely be creature light given ~17% of your build are creatures in the grave. Cut or Killing Wave may be options? Artifacts are heavily reliant on a creature. There are several card slots that could be utilized to better punish opponents here. Enchantments: Wound Reflection and Stolen Strategy are amazing! The other 2 feel narrow only because they rely on you having creatures. A single board wipe, removal spell, etc will render these cards worthless. Lastly, lands... this is a controversial topic I typically do not comment on via TO. I'll remain brief, but currently with a avg CMC of 3.63 and most of your spells costing 4+ or are X spells 37 lands feels low. 39 may be better. Although fetches don't add to much in EDH, they do offer choice and remove dead land draws later. More dual options could be helpful too. Lastly Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffers, Command Tower, Tainted Peak & Badlands are just to name a few. In closing, I love what this build is trying to do. Playing the player is very next level, even though it creates fast enemies. Preparing for the backlash that comes with being 'that player' will increase both win and fun. Believe me. You may not win every game, but you'll have a great time seeing everyone squirm. Keep up the dirty work. There is always the most filthy of them all... Suicide Rakdos. :)
1 year ago
Okay. This is an intriguing one.
I have an excessively casual build sort of like this in modern.
So step one here is definitely ciphers. Call of the Nightwing creates a few good blockers. Last Thoughts draws some cards, where Mental Vapors hates a little. Midnight Recovery is epic after a wrath. And, finally, Undercity Plague can be a downright scourge.
Also worth considering- Triton Shorestalker.
Sorry I can't be more help but that's kinda what I got.
2 years ago
Hey there! This deck looks pretty solid already, and I don't know how much I can help - it's already in great shape. Here's a few suggestions:
- Grisly Spectacle is a little expensive for an EDH removal spell, but it accomplishes two tasks at once, which can be very valuable.
- Cyclonic Rift is one of the best EDH board wipes in existence, and belongs in pretty much every Blue deck ever.
- Sire of Stagnation can get out of hand pretty quickly with all of the card draw and mill it provides.
- Counterspell also belongs in pretty much every Blue deck ever due to its extreme efficiency and versatility.
- Wrexial, the Risen Deep doesn't mill by itself, but takes heavy advantage of the mill effects in your deck.
- Sepulchral Primordial for the same reason as above.
- Whispersilk Cloak can protect your commander and ensure his attacks connect.
- Whispering Madness is sneakily a mill card, forcing your opponents to draw and discard repeatedly.
- Windfall also has the same effect.
- Same with Jace's Archivist.
- Undead Alchemist also causes some serious mill stuff.
- There's basically no reason not to run Command Tower.
- Bojuka Bog turns off any graveyard shenanigans your opponents have going on.
If you're looking for cards to cut, I'd start with:
- Illusionist's Bracers doesn't do what you want it to do; Mirko Vosk's ability is a triggered ability, not an activated ability.
- I don't know how full your graveyard usually gets, so Psychic Spiral seems a little bad.
- Dimir Keyrune is too expensive for its effect.
- Same with Midnight Recovery.
- Same with Dimir Doppelganger.
- Same with Mindshrieker.
- Same with Riddlekeeper.
- Same with Dimir Cutpurse.
In any case, hope this helps!
2 years ago
Maybe a Mirrorworks for some more artifacts to equip? Use that with Lashwrithe late game could be a win condition. Also either a Disturbing Plot or a Midnight Recovery for your 'enter the battlefield' creatures or the ones that activate when they die.
3 years ago
Sygg, River Cutthroat Deserves a place in the deck because of all of the unblockable.
Thassa, God of the Sea also deserves a place in the deck because of all of the blue symbols that would be in play.
Changes I would consider:
3 years ago
Whereas I agree for the most part on the while drop the ciphering thing, I believe Paranoid Delusions and Midnight Recovery could stay. Especially because, if you have an unblockable creature, why not mill them or get a grave return? Also if you follow the advice and add more removal (which I also agree with), Eternal Thirst is a nice enchantment which will make a creature grow and will work as miller or blocker. Plus lifegain.
As for big butt creatures, look to the wall creature type. Wall of Frost would be great for example.
3 years ago
Oh, that was what you meant, nice point:) I've replaced Memory Plunder with Undercity Plague. The deck is already running Stolen Identity;). I know it's going to be cast multiple times, but i think Shadow Slice is too weak to make the cut. For Midnight Recovery the deck got Animate Dead and Necromancy and since we don't really have a totally game-changing creature, we'll stick to just the two already included ones which can also target the enemy graveyard:) For Last Thoughts i think Sleeper's Robe, Helm of the Ghastlord, Mask of Riddles, Bident of Thassa, Sword of Fire and Ice, Curiosity and Coastal Piracy already do the job fine - Thanks you for the nice suggestions!