|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Common|
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Jace vs Vraska (DDM)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Destroy target nonartifact creature. Its controller puts a number of cards equal to that creature's power from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Grisly Spectacle Discussion
3 days ago
Great deck NeLshawn! I would also recommend Grisly Spectacle. It's a flexible Instant destroy spell that, used right, can mill your opponent a lot (Fraying Sanity is EACH end step, so it will trigger if you use Grisly Spectacle on an opponent's turn. I personally think you need more Fraying Sanitys because they will double all of your mill effects. Fleet Swallower has a high mana cost but is frankly quite great - if you attack once, you can mill your opponents of half their library EVEN if they have a card that says "Destroy target attacking creature", because the ability will still trigger.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Yahenni is a good candidate for a budget deck. Some thoughts.
Gift of Orzhova counts as both black and white, so its out of your color identity (unless your group has house rules about hybrid cards).
30 lands is very, very low. Your 6cc and up cards are going to have a huge problem being cast reliably. Your mana acceleration isn't strong enough to make up for it with only two sources, one of which costs 6 itself. Several more lands and even basic things like Mind Stone, Charcoal Diamond, and Fellwar Stone will make a huge improvement.
Phyrexian Reclamation is a casual edh all-star. You always want to have creatures to keep Yaheeni safe. Palace Siege is really decent too, and Reassembling Skeleton brings itself back to be sac'ed again.
1 month ago
Grisly Spectacle could help you mill extremely well. Jace, Memory Adept has a ton of synergy here and could be very useful. I highly recommend these cards because they'll work great in this deck. I have these cards, and I think I'll head over to FNM and give this deck a spin. Also, I'll play against some friends and let you know how it goes. But, could you give me a sideboard to work with before I play? I'm happy to offer suggestions for a sideboard.
1 month ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.
1 month ago
Okay- lets get you set up.
Your commander is cool, and his main thing going for him is providing constant removal. His main downside is his mana cost and the fact that he costs 9 mana the second time you cast him. Personally I would use Vona, Butcher of Magan to have better removal and a lower cost. Don't worry about her life loss- you start at 40 and have the two best colors for lifegain.
You're creatures look really good, but I would use only vampires, (although leave Crypt Ghast in because he's awesome, and only keep Ulamog in there if you have mill in your playgroup). Other than that, throw out the non vamp creatures (should be 2 of them) and add in Sanctum Seeker and Necropolis Regent.
You do have some weaker vampires that could use some tweaking. Dark Impostor and Falkenrath Noble are fun, but require too much effort to really impact the board. Thief of Blood can also mess up your board. I would replace these with Liliana of the Dark Realms, Sorin, Solemn Visitor, and Sorin, Grim Nemesis.
One of the advantages of playing Black White is your access to enchantments. You're missing a few staples, including Exquisite Blood (To go infinite with Sanguine Bond), Phyrexian Arena, and Axis of Mortality goes very very well with Vona. I would get rid of some boardwipes to make room. Can't forget the classic Ghostly Prison as well.
Your removal is powerful, but much too expensive. I would take out Iona's Judgment, Grisly Spectacle, Pillory of the Sleepless and Mindcrank to make room for Path to Exile, Anguished Unmaking, Vindicate and Unmake.
If you find that the loss of life is too much, I would take out Trepanation Blade and Oversold Cemetery and Anowon, the Ruin Sage to fit in Sanguine Sacrament, Debt to the Deathless, and Boon Reflection
For your mana base, watch the video linked and follow his instruction. Tolarian is one of the best mtg sources available. Click here
Hope this helps, good luck!
1 month ago
I like this deck! The Scarab God is a great general. Some suggestions:
Search for azcanta feels a bit out of place here. You can probably flip it pretty easily but you don't have that many targets to hit. Would this be better as something with raw draw power, like a Harvester of Souls or a Grim Haruspex?
In my Scarab God deck, I like small utility creatures that get a big upgrade if I "eternalize" them. Stuff like Bone Shredder, Cadaver Imp or even Shriekmaw. Also Blood Artist and Falkenrath Noble, which are good on their own and also combine with your Gravecrawler/Phyrexian Altar/any zombie loop to kill the table.
I like some incidental mill in my Scarab God deck. I see you have a few spells like that already. Have you thought about Psychic Strike over Counterspell or Grisly Spectacle over Vraska's Contempt? These would be downgrades in the abstract, but maybe not in the context of this deck.