|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters Edition II (ME2)||Rare|
|Portal Three Kingdoms (PTK)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Ravages of War
Destroy all lands.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ravages of War Discussion
2 days ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
1 week ago
Depends on your meta, bojuka bog is solid since you're using Expedition Map AND Tolaria West.
On my meta tho things are way too freaking fast, so I was in craving some sort of hyper efficient artifact hate, with that came the decision of including Engineered Explosives and its tutor (aside from Tolaria West) Trinket Mage, and once using Trinket Mage I felt it was worth adding Tormod's Crypt. (being tutorable by both Tolaria West and Triket Mage, like Engineered Explosives)
But if in your meta there's no need for Engineered Explosives, you just need grave hate, then Angel of Serenity and Bojuka Bog are the best options. Serenity seems stronger to me than Finality because it can be used to recur your creatures back to the hand, to exile graveyard combos on the angel and finally to clear the board of threats against aggros or other reanimators, depending on your meta I would take our either Resolute Archangel (and add some land that helps protecting against aggro decks like Maze of Ith or Kor Haven) or Elesh Norn (Its a nice creature against some strats, but I just don't think its needed).
You could also take out Pact of Negation since it is unable to help you when casting Armageddon, Ravages of War and Cataclysm, your most powerful spells, so while strong, is a bit underwhelming on this deck.
If you got any more questions fell free to ask.
1 month ago
@Profet93 and basically everbody that would like to comment on this deck, here is what I feel is the weak part of this deck and try to improve.
The deck plays a bit like a goldfish and does not have a lot of flexibility in terms of having access to your deck through tutors like you have in blue or black decks (Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor ect.). So the opening hand pretty much determines how the game will play out for you by either having a fast combo hand or a rather slow staxy hand (and with luck you have both aspects in your hand). And there is little you can do about this during the game, it's not like you can Timetwister, draw a new hand, put some 0 mana artifacts into play and combo off. So in that regard I was thinking about putting in more tutors like Survival of the Fittest, Open the Armory, Heliod's Pilgrim, Chord of Calling, Recruiter of the Guard, Eldritch Evolution.
But then again this will lower my enchantment count drastically and thus will have negative impact on my draw-engine. Also those tutors are not super fast and often you cannot afford to waste a turn and would rather go with an immediate threat/answer. Therefore I am considering to put more hate into the deck instead like Ravages of War, Thorn of Amethyst and so on.
So what I am looking for would be cheap mass draw cards or nice tutor cards that I have not yet listed in this comment or am playing already. If you know of any other enchantment (or non-artifact) ramp that can make this deck faster, please let me know.
muse99 on cEDH Bruna
1 month ago
As for cuts, I think Tangle Wire loses out on effectiveness quite quickly. I would rather run Linvala, Keeper of Silence to hate on dorks. Also missing Fellwar Stone here, seems faster than Coalition Relic in most cases.
1 month ago
And this has nothing to do with magic but in the line
It should just say Cast not Casted. English is weird and cast is the same for the past and future tense. So you say I am going to cast the spell. Or I have cast the spell. The only time the word cast changes is for the present tense. So you would say I am casting the spell but you never say casted for this word specifically. I hope that makes sense.
2 months ago
Repeatable removal against x/1s: Liliana, the Last Hope and Izzet Staticaster.
Stubborn Denial and Countersquall are better Negates in some lists.
Nihil Spellbomb can wipe graveyard one sidedly like Tormod's Crypt and it cycles like Relic of Progenitus. Also leaving a mana open is only needed for drawing a card and it can be used just to exile the grave, if needed when tappedout.
Ceremonious Rejection is great against, affinity, eldrazi and tron.
Zealous Persecution, is great in wide strategies against x/1s. It's not as flexible as Golgari Charm, but it does thas one mode better and is on different colours.
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet fits in some black midrange decks sideboars to fight aggressive decks. Everything that applies to Rhox War Monk applies here and in addition, it stops some graveyard synergies like Kitchen Finks and Voice of Resurgence and 2/2 zombies are quite helpful for blocking.
My last suggestion to the list is Ajani Vengeant. It is good against most of the mid-rangey lists. Keeping manland, Tarmo or DS tapped down is useful, helix is not bad either and one sided Ravages of War wins game.
2 months ago
2 months ago
Also, let me say that I have no clue how this deck is "100% casual"...
Anyway, solid deck my friend!