|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Knights of the Black Rose
Creature — Human Knight
When Knight of the Black Rose enters the battlefield, you become the monarch.
Whenever an opponent becomes the monarch. If you were the monarch as the turn began, that player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Knights of the Black Rose Discussion
4 months ago
It might be in flavor if you focused on effects gaining you life and losing opponents.
Things that work well for that are) Agent of Masks, Bloodchief Ascension, Campaign of Vengeance, Cliffhaven Vampire, Drana's Emissary, maybe Essence Depleter (depending on your mana rock situation), Exquisite Blood/Sanguine Bond, Exsanguinate, Falkenrath Noble, Infectious Curse, DEFINITELY Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Kaya, Ghost Assassin, Knights of the Black Rose, Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath, Palace Siege, Polluted Bonds, Retreat to Hagra, Scholar of Athreos, Souls of the Faultless, Subversion, Suture Priest, Trespasser's Curse, Twilight Prophet, and Zulaport Cutthroat.
So yeah. Plenty of suggestions there to consider.
9 months ago
I have a deck with the same politics and voting theme and I found these to be pretty on theme
1 year ago
Might just be me, but Serra Ascendant I find makes you a target and isn't a fun card to play against.
And I don't think Aid is that great, with how many targets it has/the theme of the deck. I would argue, swords aren't so hot in EDH and don't need to be in every deck, and you've got a cool theme here that you could tune and work on without them, which would free up like 5-6 slots.
If you want to do the draining thing, Firemane Angel is a fun, flavourful card that gains a bit of life. Searing Meditation grinds it into damage which hopefully you can turn into more life. Cliffhaven Vampire is always fun, but I think you need more incidental life gain. Treasury Thrull seems an odd card to be lacking given all your other, much weaker extort. Pontiff of Blight is also a sure in.
Knights of the Black Rose is a bad card, but it does open up a lot more interesting political play. If your meta is durdly play it to encourage attacks a lot more.
1 year ago
The only vote card you're missing is Messenger Jays; just wanted to point that out.
Given the fact that each of your commanders are focused on political card draw, it would be pretty awesome if this deck also had a subtheme of being the monarch. I would add Canal Courier and Keeper of Keys, which both have synergy with Tymna, Custodi Lich and Palace Jailer for extra removal, Garrulous Sycophant to trigger Ludevic, Knights of the Black Rose, Protector of the Crown as an additional pillow fort effect, Queen Marchesa, Skyline Despot, Throne of the High City, and Throne Warden.
1 year ago
Hey, I have no idea what sort of deck you're going for, it doesn't have a great deal of focus. But, you say you want a fun deck, so here are some cards to have a look at, hopefully some interest you.
Recruiter of the Guard lets you search for a guy, which we love. Sacred Mesa lets you make loads of Pegasuses? Pegasi? Well, you'll have a lot of those winged horsed that's for sure! You'll kill a lot as well though, but they are sort of asking for it. Works weirdly well with Skirsdag High Priest, classic combo...
Finally Mystic Confluence is a decent and versatile Esper card.
Just some cheap and fun cards to have a think about.
1 year ago
replace Curse of Wizardry, you're three of the possible colors to name and it hits all players making you a target. Also, it's better to protect yourself than make someone else the target, so go for things like Propaganda, Lightmine Field, Moat, Magus of the Moat, Angelic Arbiter, Aurification, Blazing Archon, Chronomantic Escape, Flooded Woodlands, Norn's Annex, Sphere of Safety, Web of Inertia, and Windborn Muse. Some more wincons like Test of Endurance, Ajani Goldmane, Ajani, Caller of the Pride, Beacon of Immortality, Celestial Convergence, Invincible Hymn, Roiling Horror, Serra Avatar, Sorin, Grim Nemesis, Storm Herd, Tree of Perdition, Ajani's Pridemate, Archangel of Thune, Cliffhaven Vampire, Defiant Bloodlord, Drogskol Reaver, Sunbond, Aetherflux Reservoir, Authority of the Consuls, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Karlov of the Ghost Council, Knights of the Black Rose, Polluted Bonds, Sunscorch Regent.
1 year ago
Alright well mostly I'll be tearing into the assassin tribal because they're frankly not very effective (but it's your call to include them). There might actually be better assassins though.
- Agent of the Fates - how often are you able to trigger this guy's heroic?
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim - with your weenie list you're not likely to get very much life from saccing your dudes. so this relies on other life sources to get to more than 50 life (how often are you there?)
- Guardian of the Gateless - This is meta-dependent but in more competitive environments this would only be good against a token swarm & it is easily removed otherwise. If you consistently play weenie and token decks in your meta then this is fine (but I personally don't know any edh metas like that).
- Knights of the Black Rose - This is cute but there are way better options at 5cmc.
- Mer-Elk Nightblade - I don't see that there's actually that much +1/+1 counters in this deck.
- Nighthowler - This is a decent include, it just doesn't aid you in your strategy.
- Nirkana Assassin - Might as well be a vanilla creature here. Deathtouch 2/3 just isn't going to get you very far in EDH.
- Taurean Mauler - while this guy does get big, and he does count as an assassin, he's just going to a big beater and big beaters only go so far in EDH. It also doesn't really have "assassin" flavor.
- Unliving Psychopath - He's actually alright. But there are definitely stronger things you could include here (like Hero of Bladehold?
- Vizkopa Guildmage - I must be missing something here regarding how much life you get in this deck...I'm personally just not seeing it.
- Xathrid Slyblade - I get that this is an assassin, but she takes a lot of mana to use for not a whole lot of payoff.
- Ajani Vengeant - I think this guy plays well in duel commander but his utility sharply declines in multiplayer. There are better options for this slot I think.
- Bladed Pinions - Yeah, I get why this is in here. Flying for getting the monarchy. First strike for deathtouch + first strike. But it's still bad :p
- Sigil of Valor - if you can actually keep a big enough board to kill someone with commander damage with this then you're already winning. It's going to be rare that you don't just want to attack with everyone anyway.
- Tenza, Godo's Maul - bad.
- Urza's Incubator - If you branch out to different tribes (which I think you should) this will lose its value.
- Ghostly Prison - I think you should either go pillowfort/control or weenie/aggro/removal and not mix strategies. This is alright but it again depends on your meta having a lot of token/weenie decks.
- Underworld Dreams - the payoff for the BBB mana cost is not enough. I would look at this as a 5cmc enchantment for your deck because of its cost and it just doesn't have enough of an impact. It doesn't help your strategy either.
1 year ago
Since it was spoiled, I've fallen in love with Queen Marchesa, and want to make a commander deck based around it. However, as I am new to the format, creating a good deck is hard. Should Marchesa be control, midrange, aggro or tokens?
Could someone help me create a Marchesa deck? My budget is around 50 (excluding lands).
The monarch ability seems cool, and adding in super flavourful cards like Knights of the Black Rose sounds great!
Here is the deck so far: