Please login to comment
Part of my problem with Heroic comes from my problem with Theros in general. It's just a very meh block that might have done better if it wasn't caught between RtR and Tarkir.
As I wrote, I just couldn't shake off that feeling of ambivalence that came with going through the block again. And I'm feeling drained just trying to defend this position.
But building a Hero, as you point out, doesn't quite work as the Heroic only comes into play when the spell resolves. If it had been worded as being a passive boost if affected by an Aura and at the same time, an active trigger for being the target of an instant or sorcery, I would see that.
But it's not. It's a passive bump whose design space got taken over by Prowess, and Prowess-like effects.
Another commentator off-site replied thusly (crossposted for completeness sake):
- Yes, strive was deliberately designed to combo with heroic. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/incredible-journey-part-2-2014-04-14-0 - See here.
- Also heroic was designed to reward Auras and building up a hero over time, not to to enable hyper aggro deck. While aggressive, its nowhere near as fast as landfall.
- What was other mechanic were you going to address besides Prowess?
- Heroic is a four on the storm scale, the same as monstrous (which came back in Conspiracy 2) . And in a 1 block model where every large set is supposed to have a returning mechanic, I expect to see Heroic come back someday.Prowess gives blue a combat based keyword which opens up a ton of design space...
- Prowess also gives a blue-red keyword overlap.
- Prowess was play tested with variable numbers and anything higher than +1/+1 and was found to be too good.Prowess that gives the creature a +1/+1 counter was placed at rare in Ixalan, presumably for limited power level reasons.
- Prowess gives less of a boost, but considering the sheer lack of deckbuilding restrictions you need to use it combined with the risk of being 2-1 with every trigger, this completely fair. Heroic has a bigger cost, and thus gets better boosts.
- And in Dragon of Tarkir the Jeskai had a secondary non-named mechanic of effects that trigger off casting noncreature spells. So yes, Prowess effects that function like Heroic Exist... (White pumps your team, a blue enchantment that makes tokens, a Dragon that gives itself +2/+2 until end turn as double prowess.).
- Contrast Akroan Crusader with Monastery Mentor and Young Pyromancer at why power creeping prowess triggers is a bad idea and why WoTC only made the +1/+1 until end of turn variant evergreen. Prowess having a fixed and limited output is good....
- As was choosing to make Prowess evergreen.
- "Outside of of the block it ran into larger problems where Creatures don't matter" is not going to stop it from being re-used for limited play and probably won't effect it in standard any worse than it already was in a format with heroes downfall and ultimate price/murderous cut.
And then another person replied:
- Nitpicking the nitpick. The storm scale only refers to how likely a mechanic is to return in a standard legal set. Being printed in Conspiracy 2 doesn't really count.
September 21, 2017 7:24 p.m.
Filogonio: My mistake. I saw 'pre-release' and thought of Ixalan, not Amonkhet. Should have read more.
September 17, 2017 1:20 p.m.
Short answer is that the cards aren't legal yet as you're using pre-release cards that haven't been officially released yet.
Wait until Friday, and it will clear itself up.
September 17, 2017 1:09 p.m.
Starke, Ever Loyal
Legendary Creature - Human Horror
: Destroy target creature that was dealt damage this turn.
: Destroy target artifact if it's controller put a creature into the graveyard this turn.
"I have what I want. All for just a small price."
September 17, 2017 11:55 a.m.
TheRedGoat: Too expensive for removal, and it's symmetric. It's a "Win Harder' button, little more.
September 17, 2017 11:50 a.m.
Orim, Pathogen Crafter
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric Horror
: Prevent that next 3 damage that would be dealt to target creature, player or Planeswalker. If damage would be prevented in this way, target player loses that much life.
September 16, 2017 4:47 p.m.
Sisay, Predator Captain
Legendary Creature - Vampire Horror
When Sisay, Predator Captain enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Vehicle and put it into play tapped. If you do, shuffle your library.
Vehicles that Sisay, Predator Captain crews gain Deathtouch and First Strike.
Her blood is the blood of her ship, and she seeks to feed.
Karn, I think is next.
September 16, 2017 4:22 p.m.
Camrakul: Good luck with those!
September 13, 2017 12:57 a.m.
You accidentally tagged your Commander/EDH deck as a Standard deck. You might want to fix that so it can be searched for properly.
Also, Domri Rade has little synergy in this deck, as he works best in creature heavy decks. If you're looking for an RG 'walker, I would go for Samut, the Tested, as her ultimate lets you grab more 'walkers out of your library.
September 10, 2017 2:34 a.m.
I'm not saying that Gideon Jura is unimpressive. I'm saying that "Gideon Jura" as a whole is unimpressive. I will respect a 6/6 that can't die, and as I pointed out, comboing him with Terferi's Emblem is a very powerful way to lock down creature based decks.
The problem, to put it simply, is that Gideon Jura has a gimmick, and that is to become a creature. That gimmick takes up one of the three loyalty abilities on every version of him, leaving him with two typically lacklustre, or better costed elsewhere abilities. He is, on the whole, a mediocre 'walker for a colour that sometimes struggles to get out of the 'reliable, but average' mindset to its resources.
September 10, 2017 1:40 a.m.
rothgar13: Of course I did. You just cited a Control Deck, which kinda shoots yourself in the foot when you claimed that a Weeny deck want's Gideon Jura. At least show me a White Weeny deck with you cite a source!
Besides, I agree that Gideon of the Trials is a great choice for any white deck - control, combo or aggro (he appears in your cited deck more often than Gideon Jura). His ultimate is excellent when paired with a version of Gideon that's a little more tough. Like, say, the four drop Gideon, Ally of Zendikar right after the three drop Gideon of the Trials.
September 10, 2017 1:21 a.m.
September 9, 2017 3:40 p.m.
Updated again to include the new Vraska that I totally forgot was going to be in this set.
September 9, 2017 10:42 a.m.
Today, berryjon talks about Dual Lands and what makes them different from all the others.
And gets annoyed in the process when his sense of pattern recognition picks something out.
You know whom I despise more than anyone else? A certain character who has mediocre cards, and could be forgotten about tomorrow and the story would go on without?
Yeah. I thought so too.
SCORE: 11 | 7 COMMENTS | 1069 VIEWS | IN 4 FOLDERS
SCORE: 8 | 8 COMMENTS | 1065 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
SCORE: 29 | 24 COMMENTS | 2147 VIEWS | IN 12 FOLDERS
SCORE: 27 | 14 COMMENTS | 1753 VIEWS | IN 9 FOLDERS
SCORE: 10 | 19 COMMENTS | 1316 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
SCORE: 12 | 5 COMMENTS | 698 VIEWS | IN 10 FOLDERS
SCORE: 7 | 716 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
|Playing since||Limited Edition Beta|
|Avg. deck rating||9.79|
|Good Card Suggestions||38|
|Last activity||1 hour|