|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Cat Soldier
You may play equip abilities any time you could play an instant.
Leonin Shikari Discussion
1 month ago
Might i recommend a few more cards...
- Sword of Fire and Ice draw in
- Umezawa's Jitte c'mon.. it's too good not to
- Land Tax gotta hit those land drops
- Inventors' Fair another tutor, or even the life gain to counter loss of life from Gwyn
- Dispatch is basically another path/swords here
- Open the Vaults , Faith's Reward , Brought Back , Teferi's Protection , Boros Charm as some good recursion/protection, brought back is great with fetch lands too
- Stonehewer Giant another tutor
- Dowsing Dagger Flip more ramp
- Buried Ruin more recursion
- Lightning Greaves / Swiftfoot Boots you have Leonin Shikari so why don't you have one of these?!
- Infiltration Lens / Mask of Memory more draw... Gwyn costs 6 so you might need some draw before then
- Recruiter of the Guard he's a soldier but finds most of your knights
- Austere Command / Tragic Arrogance / Toxic Deluge good wipes
- Necropotence / Phyrexian Arena more draw before Gwyn
- Demonic Tutor / Vampiric Tutor enough said
1 month ago
I was thinking of building a gwyn deck as well. Here are some cards I think could be cool to run in this deck. Obviously a lot of options.
- Colossus Hammer - this was built for syr gwyn in mind
- Explorer's Scope - ramp, always important
- Heartseeker - with gwyn, tap to kill target creature
- Surestrike Trident - if you have this and Colossus Hammer it reads, each creature taps to deal 10+ damage to an opponent.
- Ogre's Cleaver - cheap artifact and now free equip
- Haunted Cloak
- Infiltration Lens
- Vorrac Battlehorns - if you want to be mean, put this on syr gwyn
- Loxodon Warhammer
- Chariot of Victory
- Fleetfeather Sandals
- Moonsilver Spear - doesn't fit the theme but flying angels are always fun
- Scythe of the Wretched - this plus Grappling Hook means steal any creature you can kill that isn't tapped
- Strata Scythe - pick the best color of the three. keep in mind this includes lands opponents control
- Authority of the Consuls - slow everyone and gain life
- Blind Obedience - slow everyone down while draining them and gaining life
- Brave the Sands - never worry about swinging each turn and make chump blockers able to block two huge creatures
- Sigarda's Aid - just amazing
- Leonin Shikari - not a knight but now you can switch equipment for free in combat before damage is dealt
- Midnight Reaper
- Syr Alin, the Lion's Claw
- Knight of Grace
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight - late game win condition
- Mirran Crusader
- Vona, Butcher of Magan
- Fiendslayer Paladin
- Silverblade Paladin
Required are Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale and Surestrike Trident . Then you can just go down the line of creatures attaching all of your power increasing equipment and tapping them for tons of damage. If you have Leonin Shikari and Brave the Sands out, then you can all out attack and then do the tapping out on the endstep before your turn. If you don't have Surestrike Trident but instead have Heartseeker then you can just kill a creature for each one you control.
5 months ago
6 months ago
If I understand Defender correctly , i could trigger Arahbo, Roar of the World 's Eminence on a cat equipped with Dragon Throne of Tarkir , but I could not activate Arahbo's second ability on the equipped creature, correct? If I have a Leonin Shikari , would i be able to target an attacking cat with Arahbo's second ability, then attach the Dragon Throne to that cat before damage, and activate the Throne on the pumped cat to give my other cats the +/+ and trample buff? Does this take the attacking cat out of combat now that it has Defender?
6 months ago
Equip abilities can only be activated as sorceries (in other words, during your main phase and if the stack is empty), so no. See the reminder text on... Pretty much any equipment that has reminder text. Bone Saw , Shuko , Fleetfeather Sandals , etc. Some equipment like Cranial Plating , however, have additional activated abilities without the sorcery-speed restriction in addition to their equip abilities. Also, if you had a creature like Brass Squire with an instant-speed activated ability, you could pull this off. And of course, Leonin Shikari explicitly gets rid of this restriction.
6 months ago
Once again, thank you Gadianten, for your comment. I'll try and explain why I choose to not run the cards you mentioned.
Brass Squire and especially Semblance Anvil are interesting, but I found to not be worthwhile. Although they let you play your equipment, and equip them faster, the deck doesn't need them. Since they are quite clunky as they are at 3CMC, and only help with half the mana cost of equipment, being that one only helps equip, the other only helps cast. As such I try and keep my mana ramp to low CMC, being 1 CMC tutors and 2 CMC Dowsing Dagger Flip and Sword of the Animist .
Leonin Shikari , was in the deck for quite a while, but was consistently found to be too low impact. I'm not interested in moving most equipment around once they get onto Kemba, Kha Regent . It does work well with some equipment but proved to be not worthwhile.
Emeria, The Sky Ruin , also used to be in the deck, and it was there for a really long time. It always ended up just being a bad Plains . It is a powerful card, and the opportunity cost for running it here is low. But in this deck, it isn't worth the times where you needed it to be an untapped land. Since it rarely recurs anything significant.
Balan, Wandering Knight does a really bad impression of Kemba, Kha Regent which I am not interested in. Simply put, he doesn't deal commander damage, would come up too rarely, and takes away from the focus of the deck.
6 months ago
With the adding of the Swords of X and Y (This deck is going to make me broke), I'm having more and more of an urge to reintroduce Puresteel Paladin into the deck and maybe Danitha Capashen, Paragon and Leonin Shikari .
It's a good thing you've found 13 cards that make sense that my liking of the cards has blinded me to.
P.S.S. Took Grand Abolisher out of my Angel deck for this one.
Leonin Shikari occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%