|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Welcome Deck 2017 (W17)||Common|
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Common|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Common|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Common|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Common|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Common|
|Starter 1999 (S99)||Common|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Common|
|Portal Second Age (P02)||Common|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Common|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Common|
|4th Edition Foreign Black Border (4EDFBB)||Common|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Common|
|Revised Foreign Black Border (3EDFBB)||Common|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Common|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Common|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Common|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Common|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Raise Dead Discussion
Boza on Custom Cube
2 months ago
- blackblade's bite -> this might as well read B:Exile target creature.
- dark draining -> powerful at that mana cost, and any target to boot.
- davriel -> looks to be incredibly weak. It is graveyard hate, but wants to cast non-creature spells with its second ability, but the only thing you want to hate is creatures, since those come back easily...
- defiled anthem -> sure, but this is incredibly hard to actually trigger and will create memory issues.
- duskmantle shade -> shades usually have the black firebreathing effect, eg Liliana's Shade
- eliminate - white has the exact same card, except the lose two life clause. Why?
- festerspawn - better than existing options by a mile. Phyrexian Rager feels shame.
- hired hit - why does this one destroy the creature, while the previous ones exiled it?
- hungering shadow -> ninjutsu and devour is an interesting combo, but this is a very weak card.
- memory -> why do these cost 5 mana? these are so limited in application.
- mind scourer -> this can end games on turn 3.
- Moonglove-Blade Assassin -> a 4/3 for 5 mana with basically super Murder attached to it?
- Ominous Form -> if it wasn't for the OP removal to deal with this, it would be too powerful. It probably still is.
- Pain -> blue and white did not have something similar, so it is not a cycle. This is quite powerful and warps the game around it.
- psionic lashing -> do not do this. suprise "I win" cards are not a good idea. Though, if you target yourself, you kill yourself, which is a different application.
- return journey -> very cool design!
- rotgrub swarm -> 1/1 for 1 mana that you will never play on turn 1. Probably not a good idea.
- rotplague -> too powerful for a one-sided card.
- something wicked -> when would you ever choose the first option on this overcosted Raise Dead ?
- soul pillage -> when would you ever choose the first option on the above when this card exists?
- will rot -> not a black effect.
- zulaport alley-watcher -> where is there a city with alleys on Zendikar?
3 months ago
4 months ago
bushido_man96: The deck doesn't precisely have a discard theme, but it does work to strip resources from my opponents in an asymmetric fashion. If I can resolve Mindslicer , I will almost always win (because I can rebuild my hand extremely quickly and they cannot).
budlaorf: Vilis is almost certainly finding a home here -- the only real question is whether he is better or worse than Razzledazzle. Apart from him, I'm unsure about Blood for Bones , and probably not including the other two.
Rambolicious_0: Yes, you could choose to reanimate OR recur the thing you just sacrificed. In a certain sense, it's like a black Cloudshift to reuse an ETB, in many cases (stapled to an additional Raise Dead ).
8 months ago
Flooremoji: That I can agree with, however there are only 4 zombie cards in this deck, so I don't think it will have a big enough impact. On the other hand, I did just get some more Undying Evil , so there's a change I can make.
9 months ago
It's worth noting that Moment of Craving will not count as "damage" to a creature; rather, it's a static effect. Also, you should be aware that Sengir Vampire and Raise Dead aren't in Standard right now. I don't really have any suggestions for you to replace Gifted Aetherborn ; it's a really good card, and probably would be even at a three-drop slot. Arvad the Cursed is the closest creature in Standard right now and he's a much more expensive legendary (five mana).
9 months ago
Raise Dead isn't a bad graveyard retrieval card, but there isn't much that's better in Standard right now; options would be Recover , Soul Salvage , and FinD. Cast Down hits non-legendary creatures, and Price of Fame hits legendary creatures for cheaper than non-legendary creatures, so they complement each other nicely. If you're willing to ramp your opponent and splash green, you can pick up Assassin's Trophy , although probably not on a budget. Moment of Craving is not a bad card; it's one of the few things that get rid of Adanto Vanguard cheaply (since a creature with zero or less toughness is removed from the battlefield even if it's indestructible). You might consider replacing some or all copies of it with Vicious Offering if you're willing to sacrifice creatures sometimes, or with Dead Weight for a persistent effect without the life gain. A strictly more powerful but also more expensive option is Vraska's Contempt . None of those cards synergize especially well with Sengir Vampire because Sengir Vampire is a 4/4, which means that most of the time it will either kill a creature by itself or die to it, rendering the later death of the creature meaningless since you no longer control Sengir Vampire. If you're looking for that type of synergy I recommend Kazarov, Sengir Pureblood , although he's very expensive mana-wise for a Standard deck (which is probably not horrible in casual play but might bite you in the butt at a tournament when he gets killed with Price of Fame or similar after sideboarding). As an additional recommendation that's kind of like Moment of Craving thematically, you might consider Arterial Flow (both are useful in your deck but serve different roles); there's also Moment of Triumph as another vampire-themed combat trick. If you like all these vampire-themed cards for flavor reasons, search through the Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan sets; they were tribal sets with Merfolk, Pirates, Vampires, and Dinosaurs as the tribes, so probably about 20% of the cards are vampire-themed in those two sets.
9 months ago
I plan on using this deck mainly for casual play, but I'd like to keep it standard legal for the most part in case I ever want to play at a store. I'll see if I can't get rid of the illegal cards. I don't know if I have the heart to get rid of Gifted Aetherborn , though. It's just too good.
Anyway, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I think Conclave Tribunal might be a great replacement for Return to Dust . Do you recommend that I replace Murder with Cast Down ? The latter is cheaper, but less versatile. It'd suck if my opponent had a nasty legendary that I couldn't kill. I was also told by a friend that Raise Dead is a pretty bad graveyard retrieval card. What do you think? I think it's great considering how cheap it is to cast. On that note, he also spoke poorly of Moment of Craving . I think it'd have great synergy with Sengir Vampire . It's also the closest thing I have to a charge effect at the moment and is quite thematic.
10 months ago
Hi there, I'm from the advertise your commander thread.
I used to have a Nin, the Pain Artist deck based on stealing and copying your opponents stuff. I always liked to win using your opponents cards, so its nice to see a deck with a similar theme.
I think your current build has a lot of room for optimization as there are many cards that have strictly or subjectively better counterparts. These are some suggestions for cards I would replace and what with:
Other cards that fit the theme of the deck: Clone, Stunt Double, Phyrexian Metamorph, Clever Impersonator, Roil Elemental, Vesuvan Doppelganger, Cackling Counterpart & Rite of Replication (Non budget: Bribery & Gilded Drake)
I would probably drop the flicker subtheme you currently have because you dont run a lot of creatures and go down a few lands (37 should be fine) in favor of more draw (Rhystic Study & Mystic Remora are nice). Also, one of the good things about black is the access to tutors. By adding tutors you increase the consistency of your deck, as they effectively serve as an extra copy of all the other cards in your deck. Lim-Dul's Vault, Beseech the Queen and Dark Petition are some good relatively cheap ones. (If you want to invest a bit of money in it, Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor are great.)
I hope this helps and good luck with deckbuilding!
PS. Dont forget to comment on the previously posted deck in the 'advertise your commander deck' thread. ;)
No data for this card yet.