|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
|Seventh Edition (7ED)||Rare|
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Whenever a Forest is tapped for mana, its controller adds to his or her mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (5)||, thetechzombie , Wolfebladeelite , mlouden03 , ACCG|
|Want (9)||insanious , Turtlelover73 , JuiceboxHero , zingzang , DarkStarStorm , BrenBrix , obitus , arthurxisde , jp262|
Vernal Bloom Discussion
3 weeks ago
You have not thought about adding Omnath, Locus of Mana to your deck, so that you can absorb the large amount of mana you produce after having Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger and Patron of the Orochi in play, or the one you are given by spells like Vernal Bloom or Zendikar Resurgent. You also have a good option to include Genesis or Colfenor's Urn to recover creatures without having to use Praetor's Counsel.
Greetings, if you want you can go through my cover, http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/omnath-locus-of-mana-controlaggro/
3 weeks ago
Timmy's Unite! I love big stompy decks (especially when they involve a copious amount of hydra heads).
Other great ramp cards you might consider using are Llanowar Elves, Birds of Paradise, Dryad Arbor, Doubling Cube, Vernal Bloom, Rampant Growth, Explore, Lotus Cobra, Summer Bloom, Exploration, and Rites of Flourishing.
1 month ago
I think that you'll find my Spawnsire of Ulamog deck closer to what you wanted, at least with the amount of mana you need to generate to activate the second ability. Here it is: All 3, Really? That's Overkill. Instead of Elves as the main ramp sourse, i use a combination of Joraga Treespeaker, Arbor Elf, Primeval Titan, Early Harvest, and what's probably the second most important card in my deck: Vernal Bloom. Vernal Bloom paired with Primeval Titan makes for an insane amount of mana, especially if you have mana to play an Early Harvest.
1 month ago
I'm intrigued with the simic version of the Spawnsire of Ulamog deck. I've always preferred the Mono Green version because you don't need an infinite combo to get the mana you need. You can just RAMP RAMP RAMP! Here is my mono green version of the deck: All 3, Really? That's Overkill which was ranked #35 recently. It can more effectively utilize cards like Primeval Titan, Early Harvest, and of course the big kicker, Vernal Bloom. Focusing on this deck however, one card you might want to include is From Beyond. It can search for you main wincon after making mana for it.
1 month ago
lagotripha you are completely correct. Testing is the only way I'm going to perfect this. I am glad that my swaps check out tho.
@ancientskull, you are also correct Arbor Elf would pull more weight than Elvish Mystic because it can tap for 1 or more Green whereas Elvish Mystic can only tap for 1 Green unless you lvl up Joraga Treespeaker which has never been in the gameplan. I don't think that Utopia Sprawl fit's in the deck. It has much more of an aggro playstyle, pumping out turn 2 Steel Leaf Champions and other three drops. It would basically function as abother land, allowing me for a turn 2 Omnath, Locus of Mana. What it wouldn't do however is get the ramping power off Vernal Bloom and Early Harvest. That's why I just don't think Utopia Sprawl fits in this deck.
1 month ago
Have you considered using the early-game ramp strategy of Utopia Sprawl + Arbor Elf? It's a great way to ramp mana fast, and lets you get even more value out of your Vernal Bloom. The Arbor Elf could likely replace the Elvish Mystics, not sure what you would swap for the Utopia Sprawls. Love the deck, +1!
1 month ago
Alright, here goes:
- Cavern of Souls/Yavimaya Hollow - I'm getting them eventually, the foils are expensive, especially the hollow, and I've had other deck projects I've been working on.
- Hall of the Bandit Lord - it's an interesting card, and I may have to test it out.
- Miren, the Moaning Well - I already plan on getting one.
- Petrified Field - not sure on this, I just added in Ramunap Excavator and have a few other recursion tools to get back important lands.
- Tempt with Discovery - I really like this card. And I know it can get me any land. Problem is. My friends know this deck and not a single one of them will take the bait for me to get extra lands, so i think I'd rather go with your suggestion of Crop Rotation instead.
- Elemental Bond - not a fan, only because at least with packleader, it's an off rive threat on top of draw engine. But you're right, he us the weakest of my draw engines and I think Greater Good will work out, really well.
- Dryad Arbor - this card has been in my mind since I first created the deck and I both like it and hate it. I like the fact it's a 0 cost creature and a land. But at the same time. It takes my land play for the turn, and I can't tap it for mana since it has summoning sickness. So I don't know if I'll ever add it or not, but maybe I'll try it soon.
- Shamanic Revelation - I really like this card, and it'll find a home once I figure out what to take out.
- Beastmaster Ascension - great card, but not needed in this deck. I already have several backups for Kamahl in case he gets locked down, and they all add trample on top of buffing my creatures.
- Wolfbriar Elemental/Ant Queen - token production in this deck has always been passive, i.e. landfall, planeswalker, etc; it helps the deck, but it's not a focus and I don't want creatures that require lots of mana to generate tokens.
- Realms Uncharted - really just not a fan of this card, I can see it's potential. But I really just don't like it.
- Rude Awakening/Early Harvest/Magus of the Candelabra - I like being able to untap my lands. But since I'm adding in Staff of Domination, I don't think I'll need it. As I'll have several ways to infinite mana now, but you never know. I'm gonna keep these in mind just in case.
- Birthing Pod - this a great card, but my deck isn't set up to maximize how it works.
- Vernal Bloom - this affects all forests, and I hate group hug cards. Concordant Crossroads is an exception because I only play it when I cast a big genesis wave so I can win that turn.
1 month ago
Always great to see another Azusa player. It looks like your deck is based around going wide with elves for fast early mana to be finished with an explosive cradle. Since you're playing mono green, you should upgrade your mana base. You could also go with better LD like Strip Mine and Wasteland or even Ghost Quarter or just add more LD to go with crucible and Ramunap Excavator (add this card now!)
Other non LD options to mana base include the following...
Cavern of Souls - It seems you have a lot of hate for blue. Lets help.
Eldrazi Temple - Fuel eldrazi
Eye of Ugin - Tutor for eldrazi
Hall of the Bandit Lord - Highly underrated but subjective to meta
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - Baby cradle
Reliquary Tower - Always useful
Yavimaya Hollow - Regen is great
I know you have a lot of 1 drop elves, but some flexibility in your land base is key.
Now to find the utility lands...
Realms Uncharted - Just added this to my azusa deck and it works very well. Get the utility lands you need (politics) or recur them later with crucible and the excavtor (ADD HIM!)
Tempt with Discovery - Worst = Gaea's cradle untapped. Best = 5 untapped lands of your choice. RUN THIS!
You're going to want a lot of card draw with azusa since you'll be dumping your hand. Large bursts of card draw are preferred over slower incremental card draw
Garruk, Primal Hunter > Soul's Magesity. Or just have both. Same effect with more options for the same mana
Rishkar's Expertise > soul's magesity. Much strong effect for 1 more mana.
Shamanic Revelation - Baby regal force
Aside from your eldrazi, you dont have much creature removal. Green's weak point. As such, you should consider the following...
Song of the Dryads - enchant it on their commander and watch them cry
Lignify - Same with above but cheaper/budget. Easier to remove
Beast Within - Instant speed permanent removal
Vernal Bloom > heartbeat of spring. It costs 1 more, but since most of your lands are forests (even after adding in utility), it will help you more than them most of the time rather than all of the time.
It looks like you really hate the blue player. You could consider adding Dosan the Falling Leaf to replace or be redundant to hall of the gemstone.
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa - Works well with cradle, provides wincon and anti-boardwipe. HIGHLY recommended for your type of deck.
I would take out all 3 of your artifacts with an activated ability (everything except crucible and horn) and put in Null Rod. Since you're green, you will be ramping with lands and not artifacts like all 4 other colors do. If you remove your global mana doublers (aside from vernal bloom) and put in null rod, then you will be effectively winning the ramp race AND making it difficult for them to catch up. Don't forget blue decks use artifacts ;)
Blackblade Reforged - Azusa voltron! Fuels greater food effects.
Now for the ramp....
Boundless Realms - RAMP!!!
Courser of Kruphix - Ramp!
Lotus Cobra - Ramp
I know I offered a lot of suggestions so here are just a few ideas of what to cut, if you want more, lmk.
Norwood Priestess - You dont need to cheat things into play
Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma - It's ok, but you should ramp and provide evasion though less killable cards.
Elvish pipe - See norwood
Wirewood Channeler - How do you feel about him? I took him out of my elf deck because he felt slow. Maybe he works for you? I still feel his slot of ramp could be replace with non-creature based ramp since you already run so many elves at lower CMC that does similar effects like Priest of Titania of Evlish Archdruid. I feel it is TOO redundant to have him.
Garruk's Packleader - Cool but elemental bond or any other card draw is better
Grazing Gladehart - Just bad, if you need lifegain, see Miren, the Moaning Well which acts as a sac outlet to prevent your stuff from getting exiled/stolen, life and AND tutorable and doesnt take up a slot in your deck
While our decks differ, you can get some ideas by checking out my list Azusa, Lost but Woke