|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Grab the Reins
Choose one — - Until end of turn, you gain control of target creature and it gains haste - Sacrifice a creature. Grab the Reins deals damage equal to that creature's power to target creature or player.
Entwine (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)
Grab the Reins Discussion
6 days ago
precociousapprentice I can see what you're saying, that's the kind of thing my playgroup would try and take advantage of. I've been looking at Grab the Reins and Mob Rule as similar effects to Word of Seizing, but I feel like they're a bit overcosted. Also do you think I need more protection for my commander? Atm the pillowfort elements really help, but she is still a big target for single removal once I get a lot of advantage out of her.
3 weeks ago
honestly i add a few more instant speed flings like Soul's Fire and Grab the Reins and also Chord of Calling might be a good idea because you are running Heart-Piercer Manticore as that is another way to instant speed kill someone. doing things a instant speed just gives people why less time to react.
1 month ago
você precisa colocar isso mano: Grab the Reins .... roba a criatura e ja mata ela numa tacada só
5 months ago
I'm glad my two cents worth could help your decision. I didn't realize how good Rhythm would be in Thromak until holding a freshly pulled copy in my hand, wondering if any of my decks wanted it. As soon as I thought of the hungry hellion, I was super stoked. I haven't actually gotten to play with the deck since adding it, but I expect it will be useful.
Earlier suggestions included effects that steal opponents' creatures; I run several myself. However, all I run are sorceries ( Insurrection , Mass Mutiny , Mob Rule ) and an instant ( Grab the Reins , which also can also be a second Fling ). Captivating Crew sounds like a great idea, and one I might try to work into my build. Other creature - based options include Zealous Conscripts , Conquering Manticore and Molten Primordial , but they're much more mana intensive. Since you're thinking about using elves to ramp anyway, this might not be an issue for you.
While searching up creatures that stole those of your opponents, Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor popped up. I think this may be a card for us both to consider, as it gives creatures upon death and plays nicely with trample.
I second the suggestion of Awakening Zone and From Beyond as repeatable sources of mana or sac fodder, as need be. I run both, though I have no targets for the tutor effect on the latter. (Well, I mean, Blisterpod , technically, but I don't foresee myself searching that up too often...).
I hadn't thought about turning lands to creatures so they can feed Thromak, but that's something I'll have to look into. I run Dryad Arbor for that purpose; not sure why I didn't think about Living Lands , etc.
9 months ago
I borrowed this deck to do some testing of my own. So, I can't comment on how well it would do in multiplayer, but I learned a few things that should be helpful in duel action.
It needs more lands. Or it needs more draw to help find lands. Or it needs better ramp options. This could be just a matchup issue against my particular deck. (I use a modest amount of land destruction and a fair amount of artifact removal.) However, there were also too many times when the land drops stalled and the deck never got past the mid game.
Lose: Sword of the Animist
Sword of the Animist is normally a good ramp card, but your creatures are just too expensive. If you want to keep it consider some Myr or something else that's cheap and can put it to use early.
I have a lukewarm feeling about all the cost reducers. They helped, but were very conditional. I can't help but think those slots could be put to better purpose... like basic lands.
There's also a couple of lands that you can sac to gain something. I never had a chance to sac any of them. I needed every freakin' land I could find. I never cycled, I never searched for artifact, I never recovered something from my grave. I tapped them all for precious, precious mana.
You need much more removal. Again, this may be a matchup thing. It's easy to think that dragons are big enough they can simply blast through or fly over the opposition. That's not always true. Malignus is a big creature. Lord of Extinction is a big creature. Kresh the Bloodbraided should never, ever be allowed to become a 56/56 beatstick, but I got him in that neighborhood several times against your dragons. How did I do it? Your deck couldn't remove him. You just feed him a bunch of dragons to make him stronger.
It's not just bigger creatures, either. Consider cards with effects like Silent Arbiter.
9 months ago
I love the art and mechanics of Queen Marchesa. If I had ever picked up a copy of her, I would have probably built her with Fumiko the Lowblood and Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs in the deck. I might use Grab the Reins, too.
Any consideration for them?
Oh man, you’re making me want to spend money just before my car’s regular service interval! Nice deck!
11 months ago
@Vash13 Until I saw the Commander I was right there with you in doubting that this could function. The only win condition I saw was Azor's Elocutors, but Arcades, the Strategist lets all of his defenders fight. From what I can tell, this deck is fairly reliant on keeping its commander on the field, making it vulnerable to spot removal that can Unmake it or any other cards that can Grab the Reins of his commander to make it Turn Against his other forces because you'd really Dominate the game if you could separate this deck from its Commander.
11 months ago
Secondo me devi impostare il mazzo più verso il fare attaccare gli avversari tra loro e fargli perdere tempo per poi tirare fuori una finisher. Inoltre non hai nessun vantaggio dallo scartare, perché non hai cose come Liliana's Caress, wheels o carte con Madness, di conseguenza taglierei anche da quella parte. Quindi toglierei alcune delle carte tax che hai messo. Proporrei cose del genere:
- Harsh Mentor -> Again, una tax abbastanza gratuita che però ti rende il tizio fastidioso #1. Non è ciò che vuoi, ti servono cose più subdole. Tipo Hunted Dragon.
- Sire Of Insanity -> Spezza le tattiche a tutti, ma anche a te. Non lo ritengo utile, soprattutto perché non carte con madness, né carte sufficenti con flashback, emerge, ecc. Meglio un Combustible Gearhulk che ti fa pescare. In rosso. 6/6 first strike.
- Dark Ritual -> Non è forte come Mana Geyser. Se non sei un mazzo combo, non te ne fai nulla di una carta così.
- Hero's Downfall -> Ruinous Path e risparmi.
- Rakdos Charm -> Nessuno dei sui effetti è così utile, se non forse esiliare il cimitero, but then again... Bojuka Bog?
- Dreadbore -> Murder e risparmi.
- Vandalblast -> Costa davvero tanto. Fai tu, ma non vedo tutta questa necessità di spaccare tutto. hai già molto removal per gli artefatti, potresti investire quei denari altrove.
- War's Toll -> Heartless Hidetsugu è meglio non metterti un bersagio sulla testa grosso come war's toll. L'hidetsugu è più democratico.
- Worn Powerstone -> Citadel of Pain perché la Powerstone fa schifo. Meglio una carta che gioca contro chi vuole fare il cheesy. Oppure Talisman of Indulgence.
- Hissing Miasma -> Skyline Despot meglio avere più carte che ti rendono monarca che un side effect come questo enchantment. Se vogliono attaccarti, lo faranno comunque. L'unica ragione per cui invece Marchesa's Decree va bene è perché ti rende monarca.
Io tenterei di mettere tante carte che ti fanno rubare cose agli avversari, perché è un modo swag di rompere le balle. Ci sono così tante carte con questo effetto, che rischi di poter anche non mettere Insurrection, più che altro perché è difficile da trovare e costosa. Dico cose come:
- Molten Primordial
- Grab the Reins.
- Act of Aggression.
- Necromantic Selection.
- Mark of Mutiny.
- Traitorous Instinct.
- Captivating Crew.
- Mass Mutiny.
- Lose Calm.
- Might Makes Right.
- Press into Service.
- Conquering Manticore.
- Portent of Betrayal.
- Malevolent Whispers.
- Harness by Force.
- Limits of Solidarity.
Oltre a ciò, ti consiglio carte swag che sicuramente sono divertenti come:
- Null Profusion.
- Last One Standing mi fa veramente ridere. Swag.
- Nettling Imp è un fck you in particular.
- Vial Smasher the Fierce come cacchio fa a non essere già nel mazzo???
- Lightning Reaver è forte, inolte è quel tipo di danni che non ti rende target #1 da subito.
- Khorvath's Fury è red draw... hello?
- Fellwar Stone è ottimo ramp.
- Staff of Nin.
- Bitter Feud.
- Palace Siege.
Scusa se non ti ho commentato tutte le carte, ma sono un pelo di corsa. Ne possiamo piuttosto parlare quando ci vediamo.
Grab the Reins occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%