|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Cleric
Whenever Pious Evangel or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life.
, , Sacrifice another permanent: Transform Pious Evangel.
Pious Evangel Discussion
3 weeks ago
I like the deck - I also saw Teysa Karlov and immediatly thought "commander looking for deck". Tossing out some suggestions below if you are interested.
kind of supprised you're not running Pontiff of Blight - it makes any token theme able to stall out and drain life from opponents at a rediculously fast rate, and the 7 toughness makes it burn and combat resistant.
Vampiric Rites is a cheap little sac outlet for token draw, as none of your triggered card draw benifits from tokens.
Ashen Rider is stupid amounts of rediculouslness (although it has a cost to match, so take that one with a grain of salt)
1 month ago
So I'm assuming we are going with a sac outlet style here, and I have a couple of win cons. Exsanguinate / Debt to the Deathless for a large amount using Ashnod's Altar / Phyrexian Altar , Sac outlet procs from Kokusho/Artist/Cutthroat/Evangel, or Mirror Entity swarm.
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
- Mimic Vat
- Open the Graves
- Pitiless Plunder
- Sheoldred, the Whispering One
- Bontu's Monument
- Expedition Map
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded
- Debt to the Deathless
- Teferi's Protection
- Songs of the Damned
- Thran Dynamo
- Coldsteel Heart
- Viscera Seer
- Mirror Entity
- Pious Evangel Flip
- Phyrexian Plaguelord
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Oversold Cemetery
- Toxic Deluge
- Smothering Abomination
- Dark Prophecy
- Gate to the Afterlife
- God-Pharaoh's Gift ?
- Grim Haruspex
- Ashen Rider: I personally hate this card, it's so god awfully expensive and it expensive for a pretty vanilla creature... I think that unless you are playing a reanimator style this isn't worth playing at 8 CMC
- Butcher of malakir: I know a lot of people love this card, but I'd rather just play Dictate of Erebos and Grave Pact over this any day, too expensive and too easily destroyed.
- Extractor demon: It's too expensive and mill is one of those things you have to COMMIT to.
- Havester of souls: I'd rather see a Smothering Abomination , Dark Prophecy , Gate to the Afterlife , or Grim Haruspex
- Knight Of The Last Breath: It's really bad.
- Krav, the unredeemed: This one is a bit iffy, it could be really good it could be really bad playtest with it, and if the deck doesn't do what you want it should be onthe first to go list.
- Light of the Legion: You don't have enough white creatures to make this worth while.
- Regna, the Redeemed: It's just WAY too expensive.
- Nomad's Assembly: This could be good, but it's far too expensive
- Storm Herd: This isn't your game plan my friend, I mean sure you could play it and win off it but I think you're better off taking that 10 mana and dumbing it into an Exsanguinate or Debt to the Deathless
- Rise of the Dark Realms: Too expensive, and you have no way to cheat it out.
- Cathar's Crusade: your gameplan should be more sac to get triggers and do silly things, not attacking.
- Divine Visitation: It's a Win more card in a deck that isn't solely based on making tokens, not worth.
- Sanguine bond/Exquisite Blood: I'm just not a fan of the combo, it pisses people off and is no fun. Play one or the other, not both.
- Grave Betrayl: Too expensive in my book
- True Coviction: Triple white in a deck that is prominently black... No thank you... Plus this doesn't contribute to your win con.
- Sword of Light and Shadow: Why? It won't protect against your board wipes, and it's very much not your strategy.
4 months ago
lagotripha on WHITE
4 months ago
I feel like more sac outlets and more creature theft are a good plan, with a sideboard designed to swap in for those creature theft cards. Bazaar Trader oddly enough looks like it will underperform compared to a creature to sac to choker. I'd give some thought to Spawning Pit, Timely Reinforcements, then depending on what your overall list looks like, Ashes of the Abhorrent, Aven Riftwatcher, Witchbane Orb/Orbs of Warding and Pious Evangel Flip.
5 months ago
Nice deck. +1 from me.
- Maybe Falkenrath Noble and Pious Evangel Flip as copy 3 and 4 of Blood Artist
- Phyrexian Arena is also a strong card
- Retribution of the Meek would be a very good wrath for this deck as nearly non of your creatures is effected.
- With Teysa, Orzhov Scion, Darkest Hour and any Sac-Outlet on the table Cathars' Crusade is ridiculous.
- for land additions I would also suggest Caves of Koilos and Marsh Flats
6 months ago
Initial thoughts: Your curve is very 3 mana heavy, this is good and bad, means you can flood early, but leads to some dead draws late, assuming good draws, this will be fine.
For the amount of life you gain, Rhox Faithmender may be good in this deck. Big emphasis on may though.
For the amount of recursion you have, you need more sacrifice outlets. Diamond Valley Miren, the Moaning Well Phyrexian Tower Innocent Blood Vampiric Rites maybe even Carnage Altar Diabolic IntentDisciple of Griselbrand Hidden Stockpile Skirsdag Flayer Ashnod's Altar Attrition Bontu the Glorified
Oh, you sorta require Grave Pact I know it has a HUGE black requirement, but it's very much required in this sort of deck.
Some cards I'd consider cutting:
Arashin Cleric not good enough.
Greed you already have Erebos, God of the Dead you may as well replace with something better like Yawgmoth's Bargain Arguel's Blood Fast Flip that being said, you need more card draw. So maybe grab Necropotence or some of the other draw cards I've recommended here.
Some misc cards/tings (boom) you may want to consider:
Enchantment tribal? Constellation is a fun mechanic.
11 months ago
@chadsansing: Liliana, the Last Hope, Auriok Champion, and Archangel of Thune are all too expensive for this deck, and Pious Evangel
Flip seems like a worse and more expensive version of a lot of cards already in the deck. I have though been looking into Nyx-Fleece Ram, Wall of Reverence, and Authority of the Consuls and they seem pretty good.
@KINGofORESKOS: Vona, Butcher of Magan seems like an amazing removal option and as a vampire it would help with Blood Tribute. The only downside is the cost. I already own most of this deck and am looking to change it, but I am trying to keep most changes at most a dollar or two and I already have pretty strong removal. This definitely is a card I will keep in mind for future upgrades though
11 months ago
I love Karlov.
No data for this card yet.