Back:Wayward Disciple Flip
Creature — Human Cleric
Whenever Pious Evangel or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life.
, , Sacrifice another permanent: Transform Pious Evangel.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Pious Evangel Discussion
5 hours ago
5 days ago
From a casual, janky deck point of view I love it. Your deck seems to be doing some pretty cool things with cards that are generally considered pretty bad and unplayable outside of limited.
But from a more competitive, critical point of view I'd love to give you some tips. (I know your deck is posted as casual so feel free not to even read this)
From what it looks like you're using cards like Taigam's Scheming and Taigam's Scheming 2.0 to fill up your graveyard then playing Immortal Servitude to return back all of your creatures of that cmc, stacking the damage to deal a ton. Sounds like a solid plan.
But from what it looks like your deck seems like when it goes off it goes but up until then it just spends most of its time durdling. Why cards like Taigam's Scheming never see play is because.. well.. they don't really do anything. Yeah you get to set up your next few draws and/or fill your graveyard but what else? When people play cards they expect them to to help them win the game. Scheming doesn't actually win games, it just helps other cards do. (In a weird sense it's kinda like straight life gain). If the card said draw a card at the end or even loot (draw then discard) I can assure you it would see insane amounts of play. But it doesn't. Better replacements might be Fact or Fiction, Forbidden Alchemy, and Thought Scour.
From your post it seems like you've considered Rally the Ancestors but decided to remove it. In my opinion I think is can potentially be much more powerful than Immortal Servitude. For starters it's 1 mana cheaper. But it also says with cmc X OR LESS. That can get everything rather than just your 1 or 2 drops. And the down side of exile at next upkeep? If you sac them all they don't exile. Meaning you can play Rally, sac all your creatures (preferably with a sac outlet). Then next turn play another Rally. (Rally does exile itself sadly) To top it all off Rally the Ancestors is instant speed. (That's a HUGE upside)
Lastly the creatures. If you were to play Rally I'd recommend a sacrifice outlet, luckily for you you have access to many good ones. Viscera Seer and Carrion Feeder come to mind.In my opinion Enclave Cryptologist is too slow at what it does. You have to put an additional 2 mana into the card for it to actually do something and then hope someone doesn't kill it. Recommended upgrades Merfolk Looter, Magus of the Bazaar, Bonded Fetch, or Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip if you like to spend money.
Zulaport Cutthroat is a good card, I like it. But depending up what type of games you play more there might be a better option. In free for all I think Zula wins but in a 1v1 match Blood Artist definitely wins. See unlike Zula the Artist says if ANY creature dies, yours, mine, any. But the Artist also only says for one player to lose a life, rather than Zula which is each opponent. Heck you could always just run both. Double the fun.
From there I don't think you'd even need to play either Inquisitor Exarch or Qarsi Sadist. (And Death Cultist) Like they're okay. But if you're already playing the life loosers and you already have sac outlets coming back it might just be more beneficial to play creature makers instead. (Depending upon how many life loosers you have the numbers could be much higher) Recommend Doomed Traveler, Blisterpod, Carrier Thrall. Sengir Autocrat (Just remember sac the Serfs first). These guys could be insane too Pawn of Ulamog and Grim Haruspex (Depending upon how many token makers you end up actually playing) and Xathrid Necromancer. (Depending upon how many humans you actually play from the ones I've listed.)
Last thing, I'd also recommend you play lands that tap for black. As there's a lot of black on the list. I know ideally you want to resurrect them and not actually play them from hand. But sometimes things don't go as planned and it's good to have back up options.
From your description it seems like you have a mind for understanding your deck. That's a good skill. One a lot of the pro's don't even have. Look forward to what you might make in the future.
1 week ago
Thanks for the comment/suggestions, Denthrass.
I find the list is pretty tight and I'm already struggling to determine what cards to cut. For this reason, I appreciate the fact that you also included cuts for your first two suggestions, although I don't see those two as strict upgrades, rather different options.
Skullclamp is a bonkers card, and you don't have to abuse it for it to be good, but I think it probably does a lot more work for you because you have a token sub-theme. I did too, originally (and may go back to that one day), but I have a number of decks that abuse tokens and actively decided to try a different strategy here. And Mask of Memory is a solid card, especially when you're also running some recursion cards like Reveillark, Sun Titan, Sword of Light and Shadow. My meta is also heavy on bounce, exile, and O-ring type effects too so it's not like I can just put Clamp on my best dude and reasonably expect to draw 2 when someone inevitably deals with it.
I've tried and cut the following cards already:
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim - Maybe I didn't give her enough of a shot, but found she was rarely what I wanted to be spending my mana on. If you're leaning a little more heavily on Sanguine Bond effects (including tutoring for them), I could see her sac ability being more useful to you. Also, having to be at 50+ life for her second ability to turn on is far from a given in my meta, even in a deck like this one. YMMV.
- Serra Avatar - 7 mana is a lot in a deck with hardly any ramp. It rots in your hand early in the game, and in the late game it's a single creature with no evasion and doesn't impact the board if it's immediately killed / bounced. I find I generally have a lot of options for where I want to spend my mana (which is a good thing), and I would rather play multiple spells in a turn (or equip, hold up removal, etc.) than risk such a huge tempo loss.
- Blind Obedience - I honestly don't see what other people see in this card. Admittedly, I didn't play with it for long, but the static ability doesn't seem all that relevant (at least in my metagame) besides occasionally tapping down a would-be blocker so Karlov can get through. It's not a bad ability, but against some strategies it does literal nothing. And the trigger, I found, was rarely worth the additional mana. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? What combos or strategies is it really shutting down in your experience?
- Blood/Bond combo... I don't run it for a few reasons: 1) I generally don't enjoy winning with infinite combos and only play them in decks where I think I would otherwise just be stalling the game for too long without actually winning. 2) Some of my best tutors (Demonic, Vampiric and Idyllic, all of which I only own 1 copy) are busy in another deck. 3) I don't own a Blood and would rather spend the $13-14 on something that isn't going to paint a huge target on my back or eventually get boring to the point where I just end up removing it. If I find the deck ever gets to a point where it's unable to win in a timely manner, I will absolutely be looking at picking up a Blood to go with my sweet foil copy of Bond :)
Cards I'm not quite sold on yet but will try to test in the near future:
- Tree of Perdition - Unless I also have a Haste enabling equipment in play, I can't imagine I'll get this off very often, though it sure sounds like a lot of fun ;)
- Obzedat, Ghost Council - Great flavour win and maybe I'm underrating the card as being worth the 5 mana investment. At first glance, I feel like running Palace Siege would just be better, as spot creature removal is more common in my metagame, unless I also happen to have a Soul Sister type effect in play (which is far from a given).
- Pious Evangel Flip - I might try cutting a "package" of cards (equipment or otherwise) to go back to a token sub-theme again, and in this case, I could see Evangel being worth running, even if he doesn't hold a candle to what the Soul sisters bring to the table.
- Ajani, Caller of the Pride - Currently busy in my Atraxa deck, but potentially repeatable Flying and Double Strike does sound pretty sweet for just 3 mana...
All in all, thanks again for taking a look and making some suggestions!
1 week ago
Karlov was my first commander deck, and is still my favorite.
a few upgrades
a few suggestions
when I played karlov as a voltron deck, I found myself killing one or two people and then dying, a game ending combo such as Exquisite Blood paired with Sanguine Bond, Vizkopa Guildmage, or Aetherflux Reservoir will end the game outright, with every piece being decent on its own in the deck.
Another thing to think about is tutors. if you are adding the exquisite combo tutors are very important. Demonic Collusion, Diabolic Tutor, and Dark Petition being decent budget options, and Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor on the pricer side. as a side note, Demonic Collusion can find both pieces on its own, being my personal favorite of the budget options.
Obzedat, Ghost Council is great repeatable lifegain and etb triggers
Ajani, Caller of the Pride can take people by surprise, giving karlov doublestrike an flying, with two other relevant abilities.
Serra Avatar is big, splashy, and can easily steal a game
Blind Obedience can hose many artifact and creature strategies, while also providing extort
Tree of Perdition is just unfair in commander
and Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim can gain a lot of life, while also acting as removal
I'm sure there is more, and it would probably come up if we were to play, but barring that, I will also leave my list
2 weeks ago
I like a lot of what this deck is trying to do. Makes me want to fiddle around with a similar idea. The thing I'm mostly confused by is how is this a revolt deck? None of these are cards that use revolt. Maybe look at Harnessed Lightning. It has been proving to be a pretty effective burn spell. I might look into cutting Pious Evangel Flip or at least switching around the numbers of him and other 3 mana drops because he seems the least impactful. Also, if we are talking sideboard I would add 2 more shock there because we all have to watch out for Felidar Guardian shenanigans.
3 weeks ago
This isn't gonna be super competitive no matter what you do to it, just an fyi so be prepared for some loses. I'm not saying this to be superior or insulting, and the fact is the only way to get better is to play...which usually starts with either bad decks or net decks for most of us.
Some input on this particular build....
Land Base ...
Aether Hub's with no other energy sources are not going to work well. Cut them even if its for more basics.
4x utility lands (Geier Reach Sanitarium & Blighted Fen) is too much, I'd cut 3 and leave 1 Blighted in, replacing them with something that adds black or white, again, even if it's just basic lands.
With Hidden Stockpile (I wouldn't Run more than 3 at most) Evolving Wilds would be good as 3-4 of the lands you're replacing...
Other Card Choices;
Thopter Arrest and Complete Disregard are both sub-par removal spells. I was brought here by your forum post stating you are a new player, I'm guessing you may or may not have access to some of the better removal in the format. Fatal Push and Grasp of Darkness are probably the best, with Dead Weight, Anguished Unmaking and Fragmentize as good sideboard options...
I'd probably cut 1x Ever After and 2x Resourceful Return. These are going to be dead / reactive cards early on and you don't want to see multiples in your opening hand.
Treasure Keeper ... just not a fan...while I have never played them I think it's gonna be one of those looks better in theory than practice cards... If it wasn't 4 mana it might be better....
Other Cards to Consider
1-2x Defiant Salvager ?
(These last 2 options would likely lead to taking out 1x Syndicate Trafficker, but giving you better / cheaper versatility in doing so.)
anyways that's my 2 cents aka a text wall....hope this helps
GL & HF