|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Souls of the Faultless
Creature — Spirit
Defender (This creature can't attack.)
Whenever Souls of the Faultless is dealt combat damage, you gain that much life and attacking player loses that much life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Souls of the Faultless Discussion
6 days ago
Given your deck is running all the en-Kor creatures I'm sure your deck would make great use having their abilities redirect damage to creatures like Mogg Maniac, Souls of the Faultless, and Wall of Souls. Other considerations could also be taken for High Priest of Penance and Needletooth Raptor.
Awesome deck. I really like the concept and I hope my suggestions help.
3 weeks ago
Hooray for a Teysa deck that actually feels Orzhov-y! Too many Teysa (especially the other Teysa) end up feeling like some strange Izzet contraption. This deck feels like an Orzhov deck should, and I like that about it.
However, my biggest complaint against the deck is how mana-hungry it is. With an average CMC of over 4 and a commander that costs a whopping 7, I'd really consider running more ramp/lands. Beckon Apparition, for example, can be cut for something like Vessel of Endless Rest, which will still annoy your reanimator opponents, while generating mana for you to use.
Souls of the Faultless looks like it would be good, but seems like it will get ignored without flying or reach.
Personally, the fact that Sin Collector and Vizkopa Confessor only target one opponent makes me usually want to cut them, because in a typical 4 player game, your average opponent has lost 1/3 of a card, and you've used 1. But if your playgroup is typically on the smaller side, or you know you have problems with a specific combo deck, then they can be used, but Sadistic Sacrament is probably better at that effect.
2 months ago
It is not easy give you a good answer. It is difficult keep your main idea of the deck.
Because a lot of cards are too slow Souls of the Faultless,Death Grasp,Hissing Miasma,Pillory of the Sleepless. Usually is better kill the enemy's creature than keep it on the table.My first step is swap 2xSouls of the Faultless with 2xTidehollow Sculler and 2x Hissing Miasma with Gerrard's Verdict and get little bit more control over your opponent.
Vindicate is beautiful universal card, try keep it. In my opinion is better take out 2x Death Grasp and 2x Pillory of the Sleepless for 4x Path to Exile. Because agrro deck put creature in first round into play and without Path to Exile you have to wait three rounds until you get the third mana and stop it.
2 months ago
I'm not an expert, but here is some general advice that I would have ignored if i'd gotten it when i first started:
- You can't win the game just because you have a lot of life (caveat: unless your deck is designed to do that, e.g. Test of Endurance). This means cards like Angel of Mercy and Angel's Mercy are just "delay" cards - they'll keep you from dying for a turn, but nothing else. You need to be able to win otherwise. That's not to say lifegain is bad (Ajani's Pridemate would eat me if i tried), but lifegain for the sake of lifegain is insufficient.
- Walls are good only if your deck is designed to be strong in lategame. Otherwise they are bad. It took me a long time to learn that. They can't attack, generally don't have any abilities that can win the game, and generally don't even prevent you being attacked (walls like Souls of the Faultless are an exception). Blocking a creature without killing it means it will just swing at you again next turn, and next turn it might have a friend, and now you can only block one of them. So unless the deck is designed to be strong late-game, you can generally replace walls with anything else and be equivalent or better-off.
- Card synergies are important. For example, you have Wingsteed Rider, but there are only two cards in the entire deck that will actually trigger his Heroic ability: Mighty Leap and Marked by Honor. Now, the base creature isn't bad (2/2 flying for 3 is decent/average), so i'm not saying take him out. Just, keep it in mind.
- Whenever you see a card, try to look for or think of interesting interactions. Since you're new, there are a ton of cards you're unaware of, and it's hard to keep everything in mind. For example, Enchanted Evening + War Priest of Thune (if everything is an enchantment, he can kill anything) or Angel's Mercy + Sanguine Bond (you gain 7 life and they lose 7 life).
- Some cards are the same as other cards, but one is just straight-up worse than the other. I can't really think of any examples using your cards, so i'll use these instead: Open Fire is strictly worse than Lightning Strike (3 CMC vs 2), which is itself strictly worse than Lightning Bolt (2 CMC vs 1). And it's not "old cards are worse than new cards", because Open Fire was just created/released, whereas Lightning Strike has been released several times. Just something to keep in mind. Closest example I can think of using your cards aren't straight comparisons, e.g. Angel of Mercy vs Serra Angel.
- This is a good resource: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Advanced.aspx It has every single card in MTG, and their rulings. It's one of the few sites I know of where the official site is better than most fan sites
2 months ago
I really like idea of this deck. But need little bit improve. :)
The Deck is missing some kind of "cheep" creature kill cards. I mean something like Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile. Remove Souls of the Faultless i like this card, but it is not so much usefull as looks. I tryed play it a lot of time and I must say no. Same with Hissing Miasma 1 life nobody cant stop from the attacking. You can try Tidehollow Sculler for controling player hand and for example Kambal, Consul of Allocation for a different kind of life drain. :) Maybe Phyrexian Arena will be a usefull card for you with your life gain.
Orzhov Basilica is very slow land, maximum number in deck is 1. :)
In the deck you can try a lot of different card for example:Gerrard's Verdict controling opponents hand and life gain.Castigate controliing opponents hand.Stillmoon Cavalier Nice defender.Night's Whisper more card draws.Beckon Apparition utility card BW instant for 1 mana, and removing ugly card from graveyard and you gain instantly flying blocker. Very good card with Deathbringer Liege
2 months ago
My first suggestion is to limit the deck down to 60 cards. I know it can be hard to decide exactly what to take out, my entire playgroup (myself included) had trouble with this when we all started as well. It just helps increasing the odds of drawing the cards you need most to win the game.
Personally, with the average converted mana cost (CMC) of your spells I think 22-24 lands should do it.
With all the one copy of's you have in here I would say to have more multiple copies of the spells you need most and are the best for your deck type.
Lastly, I have a few cards off the top of my head that work well with B/W lifegain style decks(Which was actually the first type of deck I made years ago).
Souls of the Faultless, this card is an excellent way to stall the board so you can suck away your opponent's life.
Ajani's Pridemate, this guy is a solid 2/2 for two mana that keeps on building as you gain life.
Wall of Limbs, this is certainly not as good as the other defender creature I suggested or even an outstanding card, it is just one that I used back in the day that I really liked. Same thing as Pridemate, it will keep building, but this guy can be sacrificed and help win the game. It's ability is pretty costly, so I would suggest if you have multiple copies of it and want to use the ability to have about 24 lands.
Blood Artist, he is one of my favorite vampires. If you can find a sac outlet (something that lets you sac your own creatures like Carrion Feeder) he can be triggered a lot, along with some graveyard return spells you can get your boys and girls back into play.
There are also some better kill spells you could use, one like Doom Blade since it costs one less than Murder. Unless you have a lot of black in your playgroup. Another solid kill-spell is Go for the Throat.
I believe the format for this deck is
With all this said, this is YOUR deck, I'm just trying to help. You build it how you want. I hope I was some help, best of luck and welcome to the MTG community, friend.
4 months ago
Kambal, Consul of Allocation,Authority of the Consuls,Cliffhaven Vampire,Crypt Ghast,Drana's Emissary,Polluted Bonds,Retreat to Hagra,Rhox Faithmender,Sanguine Bond, Souls of the Faultless and I couldn't think of anything in blue.
4 months ago
Pretty much what PickleNutz said. Souls of the Faultless is not a bad card, but ultimately does nothing here. I could see a possible build with Souls of the Faultless, Promise of Bunrei and Devouring Greed.