|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Kambal, Consul of Allocation
Legendary Creature — Human Advisor
Whenever an opponent casts a non creature spell, that player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
|Have (10)||PTsmitty , miracle , Pumpkinking913 , goodair , , Deoxon , Mortiferus_Rosa , metalmagic , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 ,|
|Want (3)||Tomagotchi , Gravehawk , epicureanbibliophile|
Commander Recommendations Start Commander Deck
Latest as Commander
Kambal, Consul of Allocation Discussion
2 days ago
Like Sisay, but More Colors
Back in My Day They Were Just Creatures!
Those Who Forget History are Doomed to Lose to it.
RIP Kamigawa (Legend Tribal)
Saskia: the Stuff of Legends
Big Sassy's Legendary Horde (note: Big Sassy as a nickname for Saskia can be used in any of these names)
Legendary Night at Saskia's Bar
History Has its Eyes on You (it's a musical reference, if you don't get it)
That's all I got for names- this one was tough! Now, suggestions:
Adun Oakenshield is okay recursion, Anafenza, the Foremost is a good body, Captain Lannery Storm is good ramp, Dosan the Falling Leaf is good against control, Grand Warlord Radha is great ramp, Hua Tuo, Honored Physician is good recursion, Isamaru, Hound of Konda is a gud boi (and a one-drop), Kambal, Consul of Allocation is good taxation without representation, Karador, Ghost Chieftain is SICK and also very flavorfully appropriate for this deck, Kothophed, Soul Hoarder is great draw, Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip is a good body, Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist is good protection, Ravos, Soultender is good recursion, Rhonas the Indomitable is good but you'll have to see if you like God-Eternal Rhonas better (I like OG Rhonas better unless your repeating God-Eternal's ETB), Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper is good block deterrence, one of the Tajics ( Tajic, Blade of the Legion or Tajic, Legion's Edge ), both are good bodies, Tana, the Bloodsower is good body + chump blockers, Tariel, Reckoner of Souls is good recursion, Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor is good fun, and Zurgo Helmsmasher is a surprisingly fun political piece.
Also, I'd really recommend you include planeswalkers, and also you're running two Selvalas and two Odrics.
1 week ago
Alesha is definitely best gril, one of the more interesting build-around Mardu commanders (unlike Queen Marchesa who's really convoluted and difficult to build properly for, and Kaalia's brutishly straightforward game plan).
If I can make some suggestions, Balthor the Defiled helps the reanimation plan, Last One Standing gives you a much-needed boardwipe, and Kambal, Consul of Allocation is serious enough of a threat that it sees vintage play, and it'll gain you wayyyy more life than you might think.
3 weeks ago
Hey, looks good. Interesting strategy of getting value from life gain with Teysa, but where's Skullclamp ? :)
Consider more mana rocks to potentially ramp into Teysa faster? More mana rocks are also good with several of the higher CMC creatures here. Consider expanding on the getting value from gaining life gain strategy, it makes your deck more unique.
Cards to consider adding:
- Thought Vessel or Mind Stone : ETB untapped and no max hand size is very helpful when drawing a lot of cards.
- Reliquary Tower : ETB untapped and no max hand size.
- Fellwar Stone : ETB untapped.
- Reveillark : if Lark leaves the battlefield as a result of it dying then it will trigger Teysa or any other dies abilities.
- Anguished Unmaking
- Vault of the Archangel
- Carrion Feeder : one drop no mana cost sac outlet.
- Concealed Courtyard
- Ash Barrens : discard it to search for a basic land or ETB untapped to make colorless.
- Tithe Taker : afterlife, make it harder for your opponents to cast spells or activate abilities during your turn.
- Luminarch Ascension : powerful card in multiplayer Commander because it looks at each opponents end step. Repeatable source of 4/4 Angels tokens.
Cards to consider adding to expand on the life gain:
- Soul Warden
- Soul's Attendant
- Pristine Talisman : gain life and ramp.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim : sac outlet, life gain, repeatable exile of nonland permanents.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation : can make opponents lose a lot of life and you gain life in the course of in multiplayer game of Commander.
Cards to consider cutting:
- 2x Swamp
- Scoured Barrens
- Orzhov Basilica
- Priest of Forgotten Gods
- Yosei, the Morning Star
- Xathrid Necromancer
- Disciple of Bolas
- Orzhov Enforcer
- Ogre Slumlord
- Severed Strands
- Killing Wave
- Open the Graves
These cards are by no means bad cards they just have less impact then other cards in your deck and they cost too mana for what they do.
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
3 weeks ago
Have you considered Arvad the Cursed ? I might even play him as your commander, since he gives an anthem effect (+2/+2) and drop Athreos in the 99. Honestly Atreos shines when he protects low CMC creatures. I don't think you will find a lot of people not paying the 3 life when 1 of your, often very powerfull, creatures dies. Next to that you play black and have a range of (under $9) tutors to fetch him.
You could throw in a little token/lifegain theme as support (very Orzhov) and play your deck as the guild extorting people and if they don't pay up exile their creatures. (Then Atreos might be super on theme again).
Legendaries I would run in a token/lifegain theme are: Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim Teysa, Orzhov Scion Karlov of the Ghost Council Kambal, Consul of Allocation Obzedat, Ghost Council Teysa Karlov Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts Regna, the Redeemer / Krav, the Unredeemed Ghost Council of Orzhova Vona, Butcher of Magan Aryel, Knight of Windgrace Elenda, the Dusk Rose Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder Yomiji, Who Bars the Way Whisper, Blood Liturgist Darien, King of Kjeldor Heliod, God of the Sun Brimaz, King of Oreskos Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle Oketra the True Elspeth, Sun's Champion Sorin, Lord of Innistrad Kaya, Orzhov Usurper Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
Support these guys with the following cards: Soul's Attendant Soul Warden Dictate of Erebos Grave Pact Smothering Tithe Ethereal Absolution Dawn of Hope Skullclamp Suture Priest Blood Artist Zulaport Cutthroat Crested Sunmare Regal Bloodlord Pious Evangel Flip Authority of the Consuls Blind Obedience Anointed Procession Hidden Stockpile Vindictive Vampire Twilight Drover Mentor of the Meek Priest of Forgotten Gods Pitiless Plunderer High Market Shizo, Death's Storehouse Divine Visitation Intangible Virtue Attrition
A few sac outlets like Ashnod's Altar
Of course all of this above is just a suggestion. I think in this way you can easily you can keep the Legendary theme alive in your deck, but point in a bit more towards the Orzhov Syndicate. (wich in my opinion is an awesome guild!!) I think I kept a bit on a eye on your budget of $9 a card. If I missed a few my apologies.
1 month ago
Re:Leverd01 Thanks, I have been considering Archetype of Courage , but its effect is almost redundant with my commander (the only most-likely card on the board when Archetype is played) and First Strike doesn't go very far when you consider there are only going to be a couple of creatures out at a time, as many of them are easy to pick off. It doesn't go as wide as you think it should, but it could if you draw well and your opponents leave you unchecked. The strategy is to cheat out Sewer Nemesis or Nighthowler for the kill (especially if you can trigger Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion in the same attack), which should be an easy kill if Impact Tremors , Gray Merchant of Asphodel , and Kambal, Consul of Allocation have been chipping away at your opponent(s), not to mention any damage going through from Alesha and various other attackers you've brought back along the way. Cathars' Crusade and Flame-Kin Zealot help you to go wide, but First Strike doesn't help go for the throat the same way that even Menace or Deathtouch do. He's a great thought... but what ought go out to replace him?
1 month ago
I am a huge fan of
I would suggest Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in place of Stirring Wildwood . Also, 24 lands seems appropriate. (9 4cmc cards with no ramp). Mutagenic Growth seems unnecessary. Kambal, Consul of Allocation should be in the SB. Swap it for a Thoughtseize .
Also, if you're gonna run green, run Assassin's Trophy . If you're gonna run white, run Path to Exile .
1 month ago
What's mostly is important is to generate as much lifegain triggers as possible. Karlov does not really care for big lifegain triggers.
Right now you play a lot of equipments and thats logical since you want to go Voltron. But generally speaking you don't need as much as you run right now. I would play much more lifegain triggers, since that helps with your life total + Karlov will grow insanely big in a very short time.
That being said being able to give Karlov protection from a color is really good like Mother of Runes . So I would try a Eight-and-a-Half-Tails for example. Since he also protects your permanents (all of em) and he can make lands white, so he also deals with for example Maze of Ith .
Also what really works for me is things that trigger on cast. Overal things that only trigger in your upkeep are waaaaaay to slow and will only provide one trigger. Cards like Tablet of the Guilds , Contemplation .
Hopefully this helps a bit. If you need some inspiration, I've put my deck online as well. Also I wrote a primer for Karlov with explanation about card choices. Hopefully it helps you a bit :-)
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 5 | 2 COMMENTS | 211 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
Kambal, Consul of Allocation occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.02%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
W/B (Orzhov): 0.67%
RBW (Mardu): 0.48%