Kambal, Consul of Allocation
Legendary Creature — Human Advisor
Whenever an opponent casts a non creature spell, that player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (17)||DHermos , TheRealPeaches , Venser_the_Sojoner , Regulus1010 , rikertchu , acbooster , jhTheMan99 , PTsmitty , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Nemesis , firemind12 , golgarigirl , , HardShift37 , Dredgar , LegendDeer , gildan_bladeborn|
Kambal, Consul of Allocation Discussion
1 hour ago
Thanks! Kambal, Consul of Allocation really helped.
4 hours ago
A few changes to main and sideboard. I tend to run mainboard Authority of the Consuls to get the lifegain and swing over new blockers, taps down those pesky red haste decks and I have no hesitation with losing 3 life to Anguished Unmaking which is a strong card at all times. The sideboard is ridiculous in shutting down artifact heavy decks and I've had a few ragequit's after a Consulate Crackdown snared 3 freshly minted Metalwork Colussus and all his artifacts.
Any thoughts appreciated.
1 day ago
Thanks wolfging, interesting suggestion with the Aethersphere Harvester. I'm going to playtest this deck on MTGO this weekend with the 2 Kambal, Consul of Allocation, and if those don't seem to be worth it, I might swap them for 2 Aethersphere Harvester.
1 day ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
2 days ago
So Tylerisdabest01 and RicketyEng, I guess I take out 2 Allies for 2 Kambal, Consul of Allocation? Maybe 1 Drana, Liberator of Malakir and 1 Drana's Emissary? I'm willing to try it out, just gotta have a lot of Allies. Hopefully I can test this deck on MTGO this weekend.
2 days ago
I have been looking for a way to use allies in standard and as I see here life drain looks like then way to do so. I also agree that you should put at least 2 Kambal, Consul of Allocation, it is really a great card in this deck.
3 days ago
Fatal Push, not sure if it's too pricey for you but it is definitely worth cheking out. I agreee with Schar17 about the focus. Energy decks can get absolutely nasty, I think that might be your best option. Aerial Responder will be a great friend, as he'll survive the -2/-2 from the Demon, not to mention lifelink. Kambal, Consul of Allocation provides nice drain. Captured by the Consulate prevents a bit of removal. Gifted Aetherborn is a scary blocker and cheap attacker. These are just from the Kaladesh block, you can find some cool stuff in slightly older sets. Welcome back to Magic!
3 days ago
I think it would be worth changing 1 Expedition Envoy and 2 Drana's Emissary into 3 Kambal, Consul of Allocation. I think he paired with one or more Cliffhaven Vampire should be a threat you want to focus on.