|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Wizard
1WB: Target creature gains lifelink until end of turn.1WB: Whenever you gain life this turn, target opponent loses that much life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Vizkopa Guildmage Discussion
1 week ago
Hey friend, cool deck! One of my first EDH decks was an Oloro gain'n'drain build a lot like this. I'd suggest checking out my deck @ Ageless Artifacts for the broad picture of it, but here's what I noticed about your build:
Some of your cards, like Filigree Angel, want to be in a deck with a TON more artifacts than you actually have. Those are the cards I'd cut first. Next, I'd take out cards that want you to attack, like Odric, Lunarch Marshal, It That Betrays, and Archetype of Imagination, since a gain'n'drain build doesn't really want that as much as it wants protection and deterrence. Then, I'd take out some of your removal encahntments like Banishing Light in favor of WB "unconditional" removal like Anguished Unmaking and Utter End or WB board wipes like Retaliate and Fell the Mighty.
As far as cards to put in, I'd shoot for some more of those explosive combos that this deck does so well. Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim is nuts with Serra Avatar and Vizkopa Guildmage, as is Cradle of Vitality. I'd put in more card draw like Underworld Connections and Greed (Oloro is an expensive and easily-killed commander, so don't always rely on his second ability).
In general, I'd say you need to take out cards that don't enable your primary win conditions or help you survive long enough to find those win cons. However, that's not to say that this isn't a well-thought-out and explosive deck, because it certainly is. Good luck! and mention me in the comments if I can do anything else for you.
1 week ago
1 week ago
I'd definitely include a Rhox Faithmender. Doubling any life you gain in a lifegain deck is just about the best thing you could wish for. Especially when you start gaining 4 life for every non-creature spell your opponents cast.
Divinity of Pride is a powerhouse in EDH, since your life both starts at and will, in this deck, likely remain above 25. Just treat him as a flying, lifelink 8/8 for 5cmc.
Serra Ascendant is absolutely amazing in a lifegain deck. One mana for a 6/6 flying lifelink. You get this out turn one and you'll almost always get in at least two hits with it before someone is forced to waste an answer on your one-drop creature. The downside, and literally the only downside, is it'll run you about $15-18. It's a good long-term goal though.
Exquisite Blood. Any life loss is your gain. It doubles the lifegain your commander does for you, (as you now gain life off of the damage he does), but any time one opponent hits another, or loses life for any reason, you gain it. And if you hit someone with a lifelink creature, you gain it twice: once for the lifelink and once for the life they lost.
Ok, the big 3: Sanguine Bond, Defiant Bloodlord, and Vizkopa Guildmage. In a lifegain deck, these can become your ultimate wincon. Say you swing your Divinity of Pride at an opponent for 8 damage. Well, with lifelink, you gain 8 and they take another 8, for a total of 16. If they block, they still take 8 because of the life you gain. Or better, with your commander, they are losing 4 life for every non-creature spell they play, 2 from him, and 2 from the life gain.
The Guildmage may look like the worst of the three, as you have to pay to activate the ability, but keep in mind that you can activate it multiple times. If you're gonna gain 10 life in a turn, pay 6 to activate it twice, and each opponent loses 20 life.
2 weeks ago
I'm in the process of revamping my Ayli deck into a tribal deck and your decklist gives me some great ideas so thank you for that. Welcome back to magic :) Some feedback for you:
I think instead of categories named "ramp" and "mana rocks", they should be "ramp" and "draw". This will give you a better idea of how many draw spells you actually have, which (in my opinion) you don't have enough for such a low mana curve. And on the ramp side of things, I'd stick in 2-3 more.
More commander protection.
Considerations for adds
- Westvale Abbey Flip - Good alternative win-con and an okay token generator if you have nothing else to do
- Wrath of God / Fumigate / etc - OG wrath, and a great on-theme wrath. I'd recommend more than just the one you have but it depends on playgroup. Also casting this after you get the Battalion trigger from Frontline Medic makes me foam at the mouth
- Suture Priest - second cousin of the soul sisters
- Pious Evangel Flip - third cousin,twice removed in-law of the soul sisters
- Sun Titan - Double recursion, and you have so many targets with your curve
- Dawn of the Dead - What's nice about this recursion option is you aren't forced to exile the creature if it'd somehow leave the battlefield through other means cough Ayli cough
- Knight of the White Orchid - ramp
- Wayfarer's Bauble - ramp
- Sword of the Animist - ramp. You'll most likely sac the creature away before combat resolves anyway.
- Pristine Talisman - ramp, lifegain. Best of the bunch of 3 CMCs for this deck. Possibly 1-2 additional 3/4 CMC* rocks.
- Oath of Lieges - ramp
- Swiftfoot Boots - protection
- Gift of Immortality - protection. I love comboing with this and a high toughness creature although it can also be used for Ayli
- Darksteel Plate - protection
- Trading Post - great utility for this deck
- Heliod, God of the Sun - Not the best God out there but very thematic for the deck
- Viridian Longbow - turns Ayli into a sniper with her Deathtouch
- Illusionist's Bracers - double up Ayli's abilities
- Custodi Soulbinders - big boy in multiplayer
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - if you have a lot of non-humans this could go a long way
- Archangel of Thune / Cliffhaven Vampire / Vizkopa Guildmage - weaponize that lifegain
- Pontiff of Blight - I see him in your sideboard--I think his ability is great for this deck and he's got a big butt
- Phyrexian Processor - with enough lifegain you could make X pretty large. Combos great with Children of Korlis
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel - this guy can damn near win the game for you if you can recur him enough times
- Tree of Perdition - somewhat gimmicky but you can see its potential with Ayli
- Any of the three Elspeth Planeswalkers are solid in this deck.
- draw - I'm struggling with this myself. Ambition's Cost, Greed, Necropotence, Jar of Eyeballs, Dark Prophecy, Mind's Eye, Disciple of Bolas, Harvester of Souls, Promise of Power
Considerations for removal
- Exorcist - I'm not a fan because it's only black, that's too restrictive
- Orzhov Signet - *my issue with the signet is that it's CMC is 2 which conflicts with Ayli. I'd rather get slightly more value out of a 3 CMC the turn after
- Orzhov Pontiff - Ability seems minimal at best but maybe i have tunnel vision
- Hidden Stockpile - Maybe switch to Bitterblossom if price isn't a concern. Or, if you add some of the other token generators maybe this one won't be needed anyway
- Martyr of Sands - Not nearly enough card draw to get a huge benefit out of this
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
First these are just suggestions.
Get rid of Divine Favor and Ethereal Armor they only give you buff no counters to help with Abzan Battle Priest if you want first strike use Archetype of Courage and for a buff just use Honor of the Pure
In order to set off these "When you gain life" effects you want to gain life multiple times not just bunch at once
I also recommend Either Children of Korlis (low cost) Or Tainted Sigil for whenever you take a big hit and pair them with Sanguine Bond maybe 2 of each that way when you gain life the first time you can sac the Tainted Sigil and gain the life your opponent lost and then double up on damage. you can put those in for the Healing Salve
Mortify gives you enchantments for the same cost as unmake
It will make the price go up a bit but a Serra Ascendant is pretty great
Isolated Chapel could be added too
4 weeks ago
And if you would like toss out Valor Made Real and one Sanguine Bond you only need 3 (its a 5cmc what would you do with that the first 4 turns?) and put in 3 Phyrexian Unlife. You can then have multiple win cons
Get a Immolating Souleater out with a phyrexian unlife you can pay 40 life and give him +20/0 then use one of your children or tainted sigil and gain it back and if you have a Rhox Faithmender out you gain 80 life and now your sitting at 60 life.
1 month ago
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim can be fun but might not fit since Bloodghast ain't got a high toughness. Defiant Bloodlord is expensive but acts as another source of Sanguine Bond. Divinity of Pride is always fun to use. Karlov of the Ghost Council as removal. Souls of the Faultless are good blockers and trigger Sanguine Bond. Suture Priest. Vizkopa Guildmage. Wall of Reverence as a defender and its ability is fun with Karlov if he's big. Gift of Orzhova if you want to help Karlov a bit, but might be superfluous. True Conviction is fun. Death Grasp and Exsanguinate if you have extra mana. Vault of the Archangel gives stuff deathtouch and lifelink.