|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Fifth Dawn (5DN)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Cleric
Protection from black and from red
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may gain 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Auriok Champion Discussion
2 weeks ago
I'm testing following cards atm:
Others: A second Cavern of Souls for a Human/Angels only deck
3 weeks ago
Updating the current state of the deck. Some of the lands I removed is mainly for availability sake (needed more in other decks).
3 weeks ago
Throne of the God-Pharaoh, could work here given the volume of creatures your running. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben would be a good control option and Mikaeus, the Lunarch might let you grow your creatures, similar to Steel Overseer for artifact decks. You could also consider a black splash for Siege Rhino and Anafenza, the Foremost or get protection and lifegain from Auriok Champion.
Unfortunately, you are missing the consistency and advantage of going for the tribal option, since you can't leverage Unclaimed Territory or Cavern of Souls and don't have a low cost creature which grows itself like Champion of the Parish (Humans) or Hada Freeblade (Allies). Outside of that, your deck doesn't actually avoid, what I think is, the biggest weakness for Humans, that being cards like Torpor Orb or Tocatli Honor Guard which suppress ETB effects, though these are by no means that common.
I hope this is of some help, good luck with your brew.
1 month ago
Hi, wenn Du schon Viscera Seer und Carrion Feeder spielst, würde ich definitiv auch noch Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit sowie eventuell Melira, Sylvok Outcast mitnehmen. Das ganze wurde auch so in Melira-Company in Modern gespielt. Ich hab dazu mal früher einen Primer geschrieben. In den Primer sind auch noch einige weitere Karten die ich Dir ans Herz legen könnte, einige davon ergeben aber nur im Modern-Kontext Sinn. Karten die meiner Meinung nach, auf jeden Fall ins Deck sollten: Collected Company, Abrupt Decay, Ravenous Chupacabra, Survival of the Fittest, Green Sun's Zenith und Orzhov Pontiff
Außerdem könnte man versuchen Tainted Pact in das Deck zu bauen, da bin ich mir abe rnicht so ganz sicher drüber. Dafür müsste aber noch einig was in der Manabase passieren.
Da du ein Kreaturendeck bist, würde ich auf Languish und Toxic Deluge verzichten. Auch würde ich auf Auriok Champion verzichten, da das Deck eigentlich keine Probleme gegen mono Rot haben sollte. Ebenso überzeugt mich nicht Reyhan, Last of the Abzan, wenn dann könnte ich mir den als Commander zusammen mit Tymna the Weaver vorstellen. Sakura-Tribe Elder passt auch nicht so ganz ins Deckkonzept. Genauso wie Siege Rhino und Sun Titan. Beide Karten unterstützen nicht wirklich den Gameplan. Stoneforge Mystic ergibt momentan auch nicht so viel sinn, da Du nur Umezawa's Jitte finden kannst.
Das waren vorerst meine Gedanken zu dem Deck, eventuell fällt mir aber noch mehr ein :D
1 month ago
So, I ran some tests ... nothing rigorous by any means, basically just a bunch of abbreviated matches (with sideboarding) vs. a few decks from wyquem's Modern Gauntlet. In no particular order (and with all the caveats that come with limited testing), here are some thoughts:
- It felt like the deck wanted to go just a little faster than the mana-base allowed. In particular, there were a few times I wished the Isolated Chapels were Concealed Courtyard (or maybe even Caves of Koilos) instead. I know both of those are already on your 'Cards Already Considered' list, so maybe I'm just missing something ...
- Hada Freeblade was just soooo good. I really wanted to see it every draw, so I'd probably try to fit it in as a 4-of.
- I found Brave the Elements to be EXTREMELY high-variance. It was hilariously amazing in some matchups, but actively bad vs. boardwipes and Colorless Creatures (e.g., those in Hardened Affinity and Gx Tron ... plus Affinity and Eldrazi Tron, though I haven't seen them around much lately). I'm not sure what I'd swap around (and of course something like that is VERY meta-dependent), but it felt MUCH more like a sideboard card than a maindeck card to me. Kabira Evangel had similar challenges, though to a lesser extent.
Speaking of sideboard, I found myself REALLY wishing I had some more hate cards. Here are some thoughts ...
- Graveyard hate: In a current "generic" meta, I would want 4-5x for sure. Rest in Peace is amazing, and Surgical Extraction is a close second. Leyline of the Void is the fastest option, and 4x might be a necessary evil if your meta is overrun with Dredge, Hollow One, and the latest Arclight Phoenix hotness. Incidentally, RIP is amazing vs. Hardened Affinity, since it turns off Modular (from Arcbound Worker and Arcbound Ravager and Thopters from Hangarback Walker). Grafdigger's Cage is nice too in any meta with a bunch of Collected Company or Titan Shift decks.
- Boardwipes: 1-3x would have been nice (maybe zero, but only if we max out on graveyard hate ... and 3x are probably mandatory if Spirits is a thing in your meta, since they're very resistant to targeted removal. Settle the Wreckage is nice because it kind of doubles as graveyard hate, but Damnation/Wrath of God are fine too (and much harder for opponents to play around).
- Artifact hate: Stony Silence is amazing (watch out though if you end up running Captain's Claws, since it shuts down Equip). It doesn't stop everything though, so I like 2-3x Stony + 1-2x Disenchant or Fragmentize.
- Combo hate: The match-ups here were REALLY rough. 3-4x in some mix of Damping Sphere, Rule of Law/Eidolon of Rhetoric, Leyline of Sanctity, and Inquisition of Kozilek/Thoughtseize would have helped a TON.
- Tron hate: I struggled with Tron; 2x Damping Sphere (4x if I didn't also have Stony Silence) would have helped.
- Removal: I liked both Path and Push, but because they're dead vs. Combo and dead-ish vs. Control, I might back down a little from 4x of each in the 75. Maybe 3x of each and then 1-2x of a more generic removal (e.g., Oblivion Ring).
- General Utility: Auriok Champion, Aven Mindcensor, Blessed Alliance, Collective Brutality, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Phyrexian Arena, and Runed Halo may be worth a look. You'll know it if you want them :-)
I also ran a few games with 4x Aether Vial. I cut 1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and 3x Join the Ranks to make room, though I'm almost certain that was not the optimal place to find the slots. Nevertheless, it really felt like a huge upgrade.
- I never brought in Gideon, Ally of Zendikar from the side, so it kind of felt like 3x in the 75 was plenty. Taking one out for a Vial was probably not correct though.
- I had very mixed feelings on Join the Ranks, which is why I chose to put the Vials there. As you mention in your description, it can make a GREAT combat trick, and it definitely bailed me out of some otherwise very sticky situations. However, Vialing in another Ally often had the same benefit, plus it's much harder for an opponent to play around. It's also 4 mana, so it was at kind of an uncomfortable point on the curve. At 4 mana I generally wanted to slam Gideon, and that got me wondering if sacrificing the Instant speed for a 3-mana effect (i.e., Oath of Gideon) might actually be better.
- Vial is of course great vs. Control, but I never realized how good it was with Drana, Liberator of Malakir. Being able to Vial her in at the end of an opponent's turn (thus avoiding all their main-phase Removal) just felt GREAT. Vialing in Kabira Evangel won a couple games too.
- Since I swapped out 4x 4-drops for the Vials, I'm pretty sure I could have run 21 Lands. Not sure where the slots would best come from, but 21 vs. 22 Lands may deserve some special attention.
Anyways, hope that something in this Wall of Text was useful, and sorry for wasting your time with the pieces that weren't!
As always, draw well!
2 months ago
Tireless Tracker Open the Vaults Fiend Hunter Aviary Mechanic Aerial Responder Windborn Muse Knight of the White Orchid Soul Warden Soul's Attendant Grand Abolisher Essence Warden Hanweir Militia Captain Flip Nyx-Fleece Ram Reveillark Auriok Champion
2 months ago
Karlov of the Ghost Council isn't modern legal.
Dark Confidant is the card you're looking for.
Path to Exile is missing and should be an automatic 4 of.
Suture Priest is acceptable.
2 months ago
This really looks like two separate, decent decks, mushed together into one deck that doesn't really feel like it knows where it's going. It's cool, but picking a lane would likely make this considerably stronger.
If you're mostly trying to lean into the lifegain triggers with beaters like Ajani's Pridemate and lots of little life gain like Soul's Attendant, you're actually aiming for something akin to the old competitive deck Soul Sisters. I'd definitely make a few of the following changes:
-Trade out Bloodbond Vampire for Archangel of Thune. It costs one more mana, but in return you get a creature that already has flying, has lifelink on the creature, and whenever you gain life it buffs every creature you have in play, instead of just itself.
-Trade out your recursion for single use token makers like Spectral Procession. You get more creatures for less mana, meaning more triggers for your new life gain creatures.
Alternatively, if you want to lean more into vampires... well there are a few ways to do it. My main suggestion would be to swap over to mono-black or B/R, but there are also good white vampires now. That particular design space is wide open still.