|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Each player exiles all artifact cards from his or her graveyard, then sacrifices all artifacts he or she controls, then puts all cards he or she exiled this way onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Scrap Mastery Discussion
1 week ago
My initial impression:
Things I like:
All the rocks
Much more interaction than the heavy storm list I'm running
Wheel effects - If you can wheel into Scrap Mastery that seems really good.
Things I'm not sure I like:
Lion's Eye Diamond - What's the point of drawing all these cards if we're just pitching them?
Panharmonicon - Since it doesn't work with Jhoira it seems like it's not that useful.
Lack of Krark-Clan Ironworks - This card is one of the best mana engines and combo enablers for artifacts. It can generate a lot of value with Scrap Trawler in a Jhoira list as you just continue to draw cards off of the recasts.
Engineered Explosives - Unsure on this one because I feel like it can hit your own things a lot, and it can only go up to 2 in this deck, but it could still be pretty good. I'd have to play with it to be sure.
Master Transmuter feels slow, since you don't get the draw trigger off the thing he puts into play.
Silent Gravestone - Not sure how I feel about this one. I think Grafdigger's Cage offers better passive grave hate and Relic of Progenitus offers better active grave hate, but if you don't want to give up multiple slots I guess this is an okay middle ground.
1 week ago
I wish Panharmonicon worked with Jhoira but sadly she triggers on cast, not on ETB. I agree that it's very much a glass cannon build that relies heavily on getting fast mana early in order to actually threaten anything at all. As for graveyard recursion I don't think it's all that bad since we have access to Myr Retriever, Scrap Trawler, Goblin Welder, Daretti, Scrap Savant, and Scrap Mastery. Thought Vessel is actually not a bad idea as the deck is in desperate need of untapped rocks.
2 weeks ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
1 month ago
Holy crap this deck is almost exactly like mine 2 months ago...
Anyways here is a few suggestions
Cards to take out: Baleful Strix Chief Engineer Phyrexian Arena Mystic Monastery Nomad Outpost Arcane Sanctum Evolving Wilds Painful Truths Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer Fact or Fiction Terramorphic Expanse
Some of these suggestions probably look weird to you...
For creatures: my suggestions are purely value creatures, but your creatures just aren't good enough because with Strix it is too mana entensive and with Chief you don't have enough creatures and Slobad isn't good because you aren't playing eggs or a deck that can effectively use his sac ability... this means that you are purely using his ability to protect your stuff.
For lands: tap lands just aren't good enough and evolving wilds isn't good enough either... having things come in tapped is terrible.
For everything else there is better stuff around for you to put in instead
One of the things about your deck is that it doesn't use the graveyard to its fullest extent. Artifacts are one of the best archetypes to abuse the graveyard and Scrap Trawler is another screw up that WOTC printed. If you add cards like Chromatic Star or Ichor Wellspring you are effectively dig through your entire deck with just Krark-Clan Ironworks. Self mill is an incredibly powerful thing to do in this game, cards like Yawgmoth's Will or even Scrap Trawler are some of the most degenerate things in the game. Because your graveyard effectively becomes your hand. And you don't really have to do much more to your deck to abuse these effects.
Another thing your deck isn't doing is abusing wheel effects, you have Notion Thief and Windfall should just make you win. You also really need to put in Isochron Scepter Because it is such a utility engine and another wincon for you deck to easily put in. And just put in Ad Nauseam while your curve is pretty high, drawing 10 cards at instant speed still wins you the game. You should also be playing Paradox Engine it will make you randomly win as it is basically a Omniscience but 5 mana and artifacts can generally abuse it.
2 months ago
I'll just comment some random stuff
I don't know if Dreamstone Hedron is good ramp either
3 months ago
Also Nevinyrral's Disk combos with Mycosynth Lattice and Darksteel Forge. Clock of Omens and Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer fits into your artifact strategy. Finally Spine of Ish Sah is a very strong card for your deck for it's synergy with Daretti's -2, Scrap Mastery, Trash for Treasure, Phyrexia's Core and Slobad if you chose to add him.
3 months ago
ZendikariWol You're correct that Feldon wasn't the best Commander for this deck. It has changed quite a bit since his Commander pre-con was released. I removed him from the list entirely and switched the Commander to Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer. Bosh is still worth a card slot, but he's not as strong as Slobad in this particular build. Slobad works to maximize Scrap Mastery while also offering additional synergy with some of the other important cards in the deck such as Nevinyrral's Disk or Spine of Ish Sah. Ultimately the goal of the deck is to slow the game down until its opponents can be overwhelmed by Scrap Mastery loops with Krark-Clan Ironworks and Codex Shredder. Other win conditions include Mycosynth Lattice plus Karn, Silver Golem or Vandalblast and Nevinyrral's Disk plus Darksteel Forge. Here's a list of changes that went alongside removing Feldon to help streamline the deck.
-1 Prototype Portal +1 Pyrite Spellbomb
-1 Pia Nalaar +1 Junk Diver
-1 Skullclamp +1 Ichor Wellspring
-1 Feldon of the Third Path +1 Glacial Crevasses
-1 Mana Vault +1 Karn, Silver Golem
-1 Planar Bridge +1 Nim Deathmantle
-1 Diamond Valley +1 Maze of Ith
-1 Scorched Ruins +1 Snow-Covered Mountain
4 months ago
Good overall theme. Breya is very powerful. I would suggest some recursion for your artifacts. Daretti, Scrap Savant does this nicely, but additional sources of recursion such as Trash for Treasure or Scrap Mastery will allow more graveyard/artifact shenanigans. You can always use Myr Retriever and Buried Ruin to dig up what you dropped into the graveyard with Trash for Treasure or Scrap Mastery, and depending on how you do that you might be able to "cheat" in higher cost artifacts from graveyard to battlefield without paying their converted mana cost. Also with Breya giving you access to white, Indomitable Archangel is available and is a nice way to keep artifacts you like from being removed by opponents, as her metalcraft ability gives artifacts you control Shroud. Also, Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder seems out of place in this deck and since he's not the commander, he's even less useful than he normally would be. He's an easy removal for something else from your sideboard, in my opinion. Great theme for the commander though!