Return six target nonland permanents to their owner's hands.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Aether Gale Discussion
1 month ago
Outpost Siege is gone - was there as a way to get to suspend something possibly better than in hand since draw is an issue.
1 month ago
1 month ago
6 months ago
I gave it some more thought. I'm thinking of adding Peregrine Drake and/or Great Whale in addition to Paradox Engine. They can generate infinite mana with various combinations of Time Elemental, Capsize, High Tide and Caged Sun, which can bounce all enemy permanents.
Two other possible additional payoff cards might be Whispers of the Muse and Blue Sun's Zenith. Whisper is pretty low opportunity cost and can draw my entire deck when going infinite. Blue Sun's Zenith can mill out at least one opponent.
This would require a bunch of cuts. Some possible cuts: Ulamog's Crusher, Mulldrifter, Windfall, Sphinx of Uthuun, Deep-Sea Kraken, Recall and something else (maybe Artisan of Kozilek or Aether Gale... or maybe both and add Temporal Adept or Temporal Fissure.
I wonder if Empress Galina is worth it...
6 months ago
Sorry all for the late reply. I hadn't noticed all the comments.
I actually came to this deck to make notify of some changes, for those curious.
Out: Trinket Mage, Coralhelm Commander, Deadeye Navigator, Dissolve, Aeon Chronicler, Aether Gale, Trailblazer's Boots, Soramaro, First to Dream, Mnemonic Wall
In: Forbid, Recall, Dissipation Field, Time Stop, Amnesia, Long-Term Plans, Mirror-Mad Phantasm, Ivory Tower, Kefnet the Mindful
To Leumas, yeah, Coralhelm Commander didn't do a whole lot in this deck, and has been cut. I never found myself wanting to bother with leveling it up. My initial thought was it would make for a nice flier with spare mana. Not worth it though. Chasm Skulker was in this deck before Kami was the commander, and it was fun, but with the return to hand effects I have in this deck, I either lose the counters on it, or if it's been destroyed, I lose the tokens. It's good, but not so much for this build. Ebony Owl Netsuke I do like as well, but I am specifically trying to stay away from effects like that. It's just personal preference. Quest for Ula's Temple is great too, but I don't want anyone knowing anything have in my hand, and it also suffers from my own return to hand spells like Devastation Tide. I could see Sphinx's Tutelage being in here at some point though. I will keep it in the maybeboard. Thanks!
To Love-in-Theory, you'll see I just added Kefnet the Mindful. It seems really broken for this deck, and I'm excited to see it hit the field. I like Levitation, but my deck usually doesn't swing unless I can get a little hit in, or when there is one opponent left, in which case this deck can easily defeat that last opponent after I've crafted my hand the whole game. Soramaro, First to Dream wasn't bad, but it wasn't doing a whole lot for me either. It's been cut for now. Patron of the Moon has come up minimally since I've added it, but I haven't been upset to see it, and it feels nice to be able to jettison land from my hand. Magus of the Jar I haven't really had come up too much so I can't really say one way or the other how well it's going to really work. That draw sphinx I don't really need. I could see getting it some day, but for now I'm gonna hold off.
To Trtl, I could never get rid of Thought Vessel. It's too good in this deck. The vessel is great for this deck not just because of bit of ramp but because of the no max hand size attribute. I've been suggested Library of Leng before, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. My playgroup doesn't do much in the way of wheel effects, though one of my friends was talking about making a deck with that new Locust god, and how good it would be with a bunch of wheels, so perhaps that will be a much needed inclusion in the future. I will add it to the Maybeboard. Forbid I DID just add, so that suggestion was spot on!
7 months ago
Ok so here are a few suggestions. You take what you want from it
- Archetype of Imagination is better then islandwalk and pairs very well with Stormtide Leviathan
- Colossal Whale, has islandwalk and surprisingly is very good from my exp
- Lorthos, the Tidemaker, if you've seen what Yosei, the Morning Star can do to a player you would know this one is good too
- Scourge of Fleets is fantastic removal and for 2 more mana it's better then Aether Gale
- Shipbreaker Kraken isnt bad either
- Expropriate is such a good card should find room for this card
- Mind's Dilation is another great card
- AEtherize and AEtherspouts are great too
9 months ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
10 months ago
Aether Gale, AEther Mutation, Alexi, Zephyr Mage, Displacement Wave, Distorting Wake, Profaner of the Dead, Reality Strobe lol do this!, Scourge of Fleets, Words of Wind (very good if you start swarming with edric/bident of thassa out)
you might want Lifegift as well, people be gunning for blue decks!