|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Pirate
Cloud Pirates can block only creatures with flying.
Cloud Pirates Discussion
2 months ago
7 months ago
Hey, looks good for your first Commander deck.
Budget cards ($5 or less each) to consider adding:
- Unclaimed Territory
- Exotic Orchard
- Shivan Reef
- Foreboding Ruins
- Choked Estuary
- Forerunner of the Coalition : tutor for a Pirate, make opponents lose life when a Pirate ETB.
- Warkite Marauder
- Cloud Pirates : is a Pirate.
- Skyship Plunderer
- Dreamcaller Siren
- Ruin Raider
- Buried Alive : tutor for and put Wonder, Anger and Filth all into your graveyard.
- Shared Animosity : can make all your attacking Pirates have huge power.
- Marchesa, the Black Rose : not a Pirate, but her ability can pump Pirates and make them hard to kill.
- Metallic Mimic : can be a Pirate when it ETB, combos with Marchesa.
- Fervor : give Pirates haste.
- Brainstorm : draw three for one mana.
- Chaos Warp : permanent removal.
- Gamble : tutor for any card.
- Arcane Denial
Cards to consider cutting:
- Izzet Guildgate
- Rakdos Guildgate
- Submerged Boneyard
- Evolving Wilds
- Depths of Desire
- Power Sink
- Pirate's Prize
- Traitorous Instinct
- Fevered Visions
- Navigator's Ruin
- Street Riot
- Raiders' Wake
- Aqueous Form
- Claim / Fame
- Angrath's Marauders
- Deadeye Plunderers
- Lightning-Rig Crew
- Prosperous Pirates
If you would like I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
9 months ago
Since pirates are fairly weak as a tribe, you're going to need to limit what others can do and attack their resources in order to chip in for the win. Your commander helps with creatures, so I would attack the hand and mana to slow them down.
I recommend discard like Capital Punishment , Dark Intimations , Discovery / Dispersal , Herald of Anguish (great with treasures!), Syphon Mind , Liliana's Specter , Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip, Scythe Specter , Siren of the Silent Song , Skull Rend , Tasigur's Cruelty , and Torment of Hailfire .
While land destruction is often looked down upon as unfun, if you decide to keep with a lot of small creatures, you can come out at an advantage by keeping the lands on the board low. You'd have to build your deck to accommodate that, though. For that, you have Mana Vortex , Tectonic Break , Desolation , Epicenter , Ember Swallower , Rite of Ruin (again, great with treasures), Boom / Bust , Impending Disaster , and Wake of Destruction . You'll also find that creature stealing effects snowball, since you can remove blockers to get in with your pirates. Insurrection , Expropriate , and Blatant Thievery will all serve you well.
Some generic tribal cards will also help. Cards like Vanquisher's Banner , Shared Animosity , Door of Destinies , Konda's Banner , Kindred Dominance , Kindred Discovery , Coat of Arms , Metallic Mimic , Adaptive Automaton , Obelisk of Urd , Path of Ancestry , etc. will help shore up the weakness of the tribe.
Finally, I would head to EDHREC just to see the staples that are played in Grixis colors, as well as for your commander and whatever theme you choose to go with. You can also toggle to budget in the top right in order to see what will make it easier to build without sinking a bunch of money into the deck. However, keep in mind that cards like River's Rebuke don't scale up well to multiplayer, so you'll find the choices people make are very different. While cards like Cyclonic Rift , Sol Ring and Vandalblast will hurt the pocketbook a bit, they're good investments for whatever Commander decks you choose to build in the future.
If you don't like what you see, you can also head to Scryfall to search for cards. They'll let you limit the results to cards in your color identity, put price limits, and let your rank the results by how much commander play they see.
1 year ago
Love the theme. A little off message here but IF pirates had a tame dragon it would be Hellkite Tyrant, which would support your piratey stealing and artifact wincon.
1 year ago
So here is the thing. You only need about 40 or so cards that help pirates to make a deck feel piratey. And a lot of these pirates are kinda awful.
Creaturewise, I would cut Brazen Buccaneers, Cloud Pirates, Daring Buccaneer, Deadeye Tormentor, Dire Fleet Hoarder, Dire Fleet Interloper, Slippery Scoundrel, Storm Fleet Spy. They are pretty weak and their payoffs aren't great.
Crafty Cutpurse is a fun pirate who can surprise answer a bunch of EDH strategies. Dreamcaller Siren has some interesting surprise tricks. Kukemssa Pirates lets you steal artifacts from people. Ramirez DePietro is the original badass pirate. Shapesharer is a pirate and lets you copy value pirates, such as neckbreaker. Changeling Berserker is a 5/3 pirate with haste who lets you retrigger ETB effects later. Adaptive Automaton is another lord to help buff your pirates.
Land and mana wise, you want about 44 sources of mana. My rule of thumb is 38 lands, and 6-8 mana rocks for a 3 colour deck. Sol Ring is a staple as well. Signets, Commander's Sphere and stuff, all good. Path of Ancestry also gives a free scry when used to cast pirates.
For enchantments, Call to the Kindred basically is a 2-1 as people kill it before it gets going and it doesn't have great odds of hitting a pirate. Curious Obsession, Navigator's Ruin, Swashbuckling, Trove of Temptation are all low impact or actively harmful. I would cut all them.
For artifacts, you have a lot of eh ones. Pirate's Cutlass is a low impact card, but thematic. Sleek Schooner and Dusk Legion Dreadnought are so weak they aren't even worth playing. Captain's Hook is just +2/+0, menace, as your creatures all have the pirate typing.
Door of Destinies is a powerful artifact in tribal decks that can get out of control pretty easily. Heirloom Blade is a more powerful, impactful weapon to equip your creatures with, as it also lets you chain through your deck. Herald's Horn lets you psudo draw more and gives a cost reduction. Obelisk of Urd is an anthem effect. Stoneforge Masterwork is an equipment that rewards a large boardstate. Skysovereign, Consul Flagship and Smuggler's Copter are both high impact vehicles who are good to tutor up, and from the new set Weatherlight fetches up artifacts when you deal damage which is fun.
For your instant/sorceries, you want to be more high impact or efficient. Duress only hits 1 person in a multiple player game. You also want some flat out draw cards. This is more up to you, but Terminate is good removal. Jace's Ingenuity is solid draw.
1 year ago
Your curve is a little bit high, changing some cards with the ones I just suggest will be a great improvement.
1 year ago
I play Insurrection, gaining control of all my opponents' creatures, and I swing out with everything except my general. Furthermore, my opponents have no way of mitigating combat damage.
For the sake of argument, let's assume that I'm not dealing lethal combat damage to anyone, and I'm hitting one opponent with three pirates, causing Admiral Beckett Brass's ability to trigger.
In this scenario, would I be able to retain any creature permanents after my turn is over, considering I already have control of them via Insurrection, or would the aforesaid creatures return to my opponents at the end of my turn?
2 years ago
New Cards (now that I won't be banned for posting them this time):
- It's nice to have another option to stop YawgWin. It is an alternative to Graf Cage if you want GSZ, Chord, and Pod to work in your deck.
- Can go into Tana-Tymna Blood Pod or Derevi for creature heavy metas. It competes with the new Thalia though, so meh.
- T5 with T4 potential if mono-w stax works. None of the Vampire synergy is available in mono-w, though it is nice in Edgar stax. It sucks that you only get one vamp no matter how many you attack with.
- At three mana, it may have the combo potential and color that Conspiracy did not.
- Dominate #2 for Mizzix.
- Tier 1, since that's where legendary Merfolk go now. But more seriously, Tier 4, since the tax is not irrelevant, but may slide down to Tier 5 if a decent strategy cannot be thought of (I keep comparing it to Geist, where you can at least have a Polymorph plan).
- Seemed notable enough to mention. Does not ramp, but it's decent gravehate.
- We were correct: it costs 5. A LOT less powerful when it does not cost two. Too slow/unreliable (based on matchup) to see play, especially since it does not count commanders.
- Latest incarnation of Bob, nothing too notable since most decks would just prefer Bob
- Tier 4 at LEAST, maybe Tier 3, since it is red ramp. It could have a stax build that sacs the tokens like with the mono-w vamp.
- I REALLY want this to be a thing. I don't care if it's too much mana, SOMEONE SOMEWHERE NEEDS TO CAST THIS!!!
- If it was a 4-drop, it would likely see play, but since it only digs based on mana cost, storm will not run it (though it is funny with FoW).
- Budget Selvala card?
- ShaperSavant's Sanctuary is okay. Has the Leovold (technically Rayne) protection for LabMan combos, but beyond that, highly meta-dependent.
- Tier 3. There seem to be enough decent Pirates being printed and otherwise (Gravehate Pirate, Pirate Bob, Cloud Pirates) that the running of a bunch of Pirates will not destroy the deck.
- It's not a 6-drop, so Tier 4 at best. It itself is too clunky, as well as the dinos so far.
- As was discussed, it's getting an errata that kills the combo potential. I still like that it steals Crypt and Sol Ring pretty well. It's at least going into the Grixis Pirates deck.
- T2.5 at least. I certainly wasn't expecting it to cost more than Zegana, but it seems strictly better nonetheless, since you can more easily play it for value instead of JUST as a Food Chain outlet.
- I have seen and played Pithing Needle, so I am not averse to another option.
- Another fucking Jace....at least it has applications in decks that play Edric...
No data for this card yet.