|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
At end of turn, each player who tapped a land for mana this turn sacrifices a land. If a Plains is sacrificed this way, Desolation deals 2 damage to that Plains's controller.
2 months ago
This is a somewhat strange request. The interaction between Dakmor Salvage and The Gitrog Monster is extremely strong, and very cheap monetarily. You should consider running a couple dredge cards for value anyways, as hitting 2-3 extra draws off a dredge is an easy and once again cheap monetarily way to get ahead in card advantage.
To humor you though, here's what I'd probably run.
- The full suite of 1 drop mana dorks Arbor Elf Llanowar Elves Fyndhorn Elves Birds of Paradise etc. etc. and some big dorks like Priest of Titania
- Cards that let me put extra lands into play for more landfall triggers Sakura-Tribe Scout Skyshroud Ranger Azusa, Lost but Seeking Explore Exploration Burgeoning maybe even Walking Atlas
- Cards that let me turn lands into effects or otherwise graveyard the lands Sylvan Safekeeper Constant Mists Crop Rotation Elvish Reclaimer Edge of Autumn Lotus Field Forbidden Ritual Reprocess Harrow
- Cards that love lands entering battlefield or graveyard Terravore Titania, Protector of Argoth Avenger of Zendikar Rampaging Baloths Undergrowth Champion Lotus Cobra
- Symmetrical black land hate cards that I can break parity on with Gitrog draws and recursion Smallpox Pox Death Cloud Desolation
- Recursion effects for all these land sacs Life from the Loam Groundskeeper Crucible of Worlds Ramunap Excavator
- Cards that go with my board hate subtheme here Torment of Hailfire Oppression Necrogen Mists Bottomless Pit Bane of Progress Back to Nature Black Sun's Zenith Damnation Root Maze Caustic Caterpillar
- Finishers if you don't want to combo, like Beastmaster Ascension Genesis Wave Craterhoof Behemoth Overrun Overwhelming Stampede
And from there, round it out with some efficient early game beaters, some spot removal, land ramp, and a bit of card draw.
3 months ago
There's this nifty little card named Desolation . I think it could be fun ;).
4 months ago
multimedia honestly, for mana disruption, I'd go for Mana Vortex , the Bitterblossom / Contamination line, or even Desolation on a budget before Overburden or Mana Breach , otherwise, I'd also recommend Necromancy for reanimation, having 'flash' is pretty good, even if you sacrifice it.
9 months ago
DrukenReaps That's true. I agree that it's at least 5 snakes, if not more if Ammit Eternal survives by my turn, making it possibly a few more, compared to the guaranteed 3 from Shambling Swarm . I would say that at least Shambling allows for removal for a X/1, X/2, X/3 on the board, AND, making 3 snakes. But I will admit that it's a top pick for cutting. Especially when I found out Desolation exists, heh. Possibly Gate to Phyrexia if I come across a lot of artifacts.
10 months ago
willis1234 so there I was, minding my own business looking at Stax cards for a deck idea, because I'm such a great player, and I find out Desolation is a thing. Black land removal of 1 per turn? More if player's cast on each other's turns? I don't know how I never heard of it. Thought of your deck since I was just here.
10 months ago
The first thing I would recommend is finding a way to copy your namesake card the turn it's cast. Copies aren't cast, so both will resolve! It's pretty expensive, so having onboard ways are the best. Primal Amulet Flip is probably the best. If you utilize spell based ramp and tutors, you should be able to flip it. Swarm Intelligence , The Mirari Conjecture could also work.
Since you're not planning on using your hand or lands into the late game, you might as well have onboard tricks that use those resources.
To use your hand, you could play Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace , Words of Waste , Null Brooch , Restore Balance , Jolrael, Empress of Beasts , Mageta the Lion , Stronghold Machinist , Stronghold Biologist , Greel, Mind Raker , Alexi, Zephyr Mage , Notorious Assassin , Knollspine Invocation , Pyromancy , and Magus of the Balance .
10 months ago
Since pirates are fairly weak as a tribe, you're going to need to limit what others can do and attack their resources in order to chip in for the win. Your commander helps with creatures, so I would attack the hand and mana to slow them down.
I recommend discard like Capital Punishment , Dark Intimations , Discovery / Dispersal , Herald of Anguish (great with treasures!), Syphon Mind , Liliana's Specter , Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip, Scythe Specter , Siren of the Silent Song , Skull Rend , Tasigur's Cruelty , and Torment of Hailfire .
While land destruction is often looked down upon as unfun, if you decide to keep with a lot of small creatures, you can come out at an advantage by keeping the lands on the board low. You'd have to build your deck to accommodate that, though. For that, you have Mana Vortex , Tectonic Break , Desolation , Epicenter , Ember Swallower , Rite of Ruin (again, great with treasures), Boom / Bust , Impending Disaster , and Wake of Destruction . You'll also find that creature stealing effects snowball, since you can remove blockers to get in with your pirates. Insurrection , Expropriate , and Blatant Thievery will all serve you well.
Some generic tribal cards will also help. Cards like Vanquisher's Banner , Shared Animosity , Door of Destinies , Konda's Banner , Kindred Dominance , Kindred Discovery , Coat of Arms , Metallic Mimic , Adaptive Automaton , Obelisk of Urd , Path of Ancestry , etc. will help shore up the weakness of the tribe.
Finally, I would head to EDHREC just to see the staples that are played in Grixis colors, as well as for your commander and whatever theme you choose to go with. You can also toggle to budget in the top right in order to see what will make it easier to build without sinking a bunch of money into the deck. However, keep in mind that cards like River's Rebuke don't scale up well to multiplayer, so you'll find the choices people make are very different. While cards like Cyclonic Rift , Sol Ring and Vandalblast will hurt the pocketbook a bit, they're good investments for whatever Commander decks you choose to build in the future.
If you don't like what you see, you can also head to Scryfall to search for cards. They'll let you limit the results to cards in your color identity, put price limits, and let your rank the results by how much commander play they see.
11 months ago
HI all, I want to make nasty land denial mono black deck, where opponent will be locked to play spells.
- KEY CARDS - I like card combination Desolation+ Ankh of Mishra - every turn player taps mana - losts one, and new land costs him 2 life
- CASTING SPELLS - Desolation and Ankh hurts me too, so I wish to use alternative pay cards, Im thinking about:
- MANA - because of Desolation hurts me too, Im thinking about mana generation:
Blood Pet - mana which I can use later and it is not affected by Desolation
Chrome Mox - Desolation doesnt affect it, I know Mox Diamond but its more expensive
Dark Ritual - mana acceleration
any artifacts which generate mana?
Dunes of the Dead - create a creature when its destroyed with Desolation
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- DAMAGE / LIFE LOSS - idea is limit the possibilities to cast spells of opponent and hurt him by Black Vise
Gurmag Angler - use delve to cast him as soon as possible, and to clean graveyard from creatures for Nether Spirit. I was thinking about Tombstalker because he is flyer, but Angler is mana-cheaper.
- DRAW - because I would like to play alternative cost cards I need to have many cards in hand. I was thinking about draw spells as Night's Whisper but I need every turn draw, no only once draw spell. So Im thinking about:
Anvil of Bogardan - maybe its bettter than Howling Mine because it makes opponents hand with no limit which support Black Vise damage.
- LAND DAMAGE - I need to destroy opponents lands as much as possible to lock him to cast aby spell
I know its messy right now and far from final deck but this is what I have right now. Problem is that I need mana to play key cards (Black Vise, Ankh, Desolation, Sinkhole) so I dont know how many lands to play.
Please do you have any advice and improvements? Thank you very much for you time.
No data for this card yet.