|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Pirate
When Kitesail Freebooter enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand. You choose a noncreature, nonland card from it. Exile that card until Kitesail Freebooter leaves the battlefield.
Kitesail Freebooter Discussion
1 week ago
I would absolutely replace Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord with Chandra, Fire Artisan . She's card advantage over and over again. Sorin does give you lifegain, especially with Sarkhan the Masterless , but it wouldn't be missed with Oath of Kaya and Gideon Blackblade plus people will be attacking your PWs instead of you. Also, his negative does nothing in a creatureless deck like this.
2 weeks ago
Why doesn't the card Vendetta see more play in Modern? Is it the life loss that scares people away?
If we look at the most played creatures in Modern, the black ones are:
- Street Wraith : doesn't count.
- Death's Shadow : this is an issue, but Lightning Bolt usually doesn't kill it either.
- Stinkweed Imp : doesn't count.
- Gurmag Angler : This is an issue, but Fatal Push doesn't kill it either.
- Prized Amalgam : unlikely to ever want to spend removal on this.
- Golgari Thug : doesn't count.
- Dark Confidant : this is an issue.
- Bloodghast : unlikely to ever want to spend removal on this.
- Kitesail Freebooter : this is not a huge deal.
- Viscera Seer : This is usually used as a combo piece, and the other pieces are usually vulnerable.
- Griselbrand : Fatal Push doesn't get it either.
So, yeah there are a few creatures that it doesn't get, but is that enough to make it unplayable? It seems like a relatively short list of modern-playable creatures that it can't hurt.
1 month ago
Although it would be hard to cast, many have looked at Goblin Chainwhirler with Bladebrand to board wipe. Not sure if it's for this deck but definitely possible. Also, for a control version of Rakdos, I would throw in some Duress , Divest , and Kitesail Freebooter for hand disruption. Lava Coil , Cast Down , Price of Fame , and Moment of Craving for removal. As for the long game "clock" part of your deck, I like the inheritance but you could also look at the kickers of Josu Vess, Lich Knight or Fight with Fire as late game finishers.
1 month ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
1 month ago
2 months ago
This past weekend saw my cube’s first seven player draft (eight had homework to finish). Now, some of them are filthy casuals but here are the deck lists drafted with (W-L) stats! No basic lands included, however.
Me – Mardu Angels (3-0)
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Assemble the Legion
Bruna, the Fading Light
Cavern of Souls
Conqueror's Galleon Flip
Gisela, the Broken Blade
Nahiri, the Harbinger
Smuggler Captain (finds Reanimate )
Sphere of the Suns
Pritch – Golgari Midrange (2-1)
Go for the Throat
Herald of Torment
Heir of the Wilds
Liliana of the Veil
Liliana, the Last Hope
Rite of Belzenlok
Sidisi, Undead Vizier
Thrun, the Last Troll
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Westvale Abbey Flip
Yahenni, Undying Partisan
Paul – Grixis Control (1-1)
Creeping Tar Pit
Force of Will
Lich Lord of Unx
Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Tezzeret, Artifice Master
Thassa, God of the Sea
Thing in the Ice Flip
Unscythe, Killer of Kings
Abby – Bant Midrange (0-1)
Bow of Nylea
Courser of Kruphix
Crush of Tentacles
Elixir of Immortality
Kiora, the Crashing Wave
Mikaeus, the Lunarch
Sigarda, Host of Herons
Spirit of the Labyrinth
Sword of War and Peace
Matt – Four Color Good Stuff (1-1)
Arch of Orazca
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
Birds of Paradise
Brimaz, King of Oreskos
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Maze of Ith
Odric, Master Tactician
Path to Exile
Price of Fame
Sword of Light and Shadow
Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
Tetzimoc, Primal Death
Through the Breach
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Voice of Resurgence
Warden of the First Tree
Zacama, Primal Calamity
Ben – Temur Cascade– (0-1)
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Braid of Fire
City of Brass
Ghalta, Primal Hunger
Heart of Ramos
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Pact of Negation
Sai, Master Thopterist
Search for Azcanta Flip
Sword of Fire and Ice
Urabrask the Hidden
Volatile Chimera (I forget what was on it, never came up)
Courrtney – Green Black Delirium (0-1)
Avenger of Zendikar
Empty the Pits
Emrakul, the Promised End
Garruk Relentless Flip
Great Sable Stag
Greenwarden of Murasa
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Isareth the Awakener
Master of the Wild Hunt
Oracle of Mul Daya
See the Unwritten
Whip of Erebos
2 months ago
Ccvcv Thank you for the upvote! I like Duress and Divest a lot. As a matter of fact, I ran both of them when I was still tinkering with the deck. In the case of either of these, I would end up down on cards, just as often as my opponent. Without an additional effect like Thought Erasure (surveil), I couldn't justify going down a card just to have my opponent down on a card. I ended up opting for Burglar Rat (gives you a 1/1 body), Kitesail Freebooter (gives you a 1/2 flyer, plus hand reveal and decent card selection), and Disinformation Campaign (synergies with surveil and draws us a card).
If I could give this deck a nickname, I might call it, "Grixis Two-for-One" or "One for Me, None for You." Almost every spell has two effects one one reasonable price.
Thanks for the suggestions and cheers.
3 months ago
If I'm being honest, Kitesail Freebooter and like 2-3 Light Up the Stage s are absolute gas. This deck struggles to win when you've run out of fuel in the midrange/control match up and those two cards mainboard wreck most matchups.Taking a Wizard's Retort or Curious Obsession from Mono Blue Tempo wins you the game and taking and board wipe or removal piece from Esper or Sultai stops you from getting crushed game one. Benalish Marshal will be one of the first things to eat a Cast Down or Vraska's Contempt in that match up and taking it with Kitesail Freebooter denies your opponent so much. Dire Fleet Daredevil is actually a really good pick that I should probably consider for my Mardu Humans list. If you're interested you can see it here https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-humans-competitive-rna-standard/#c3455057
Kitesail Freebooter occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
All decks: 0.07%
All decks: 0.14%