Creature — Dinosaur
Whenever an opponent activates an ability of a creature or land that isn't a mana ability, you may draw a card.
Printings View all
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Runic Armasaur Discussion
2 weeks ago
heavyuser: A very strong case could be made for it if Paradox Engine got unbanned, but as it stands, it really isn't necessary. It was a very essential hail mary, since all of the weight was on Temur Sabertooth before, but we now have 3 viable combos and they're all tutorable.
However, please note that Generous Patron is consistently on the chopping block, and if you lack the proper infinite mana line and can't bounce it repeatedly it's pretty much a 3 for 2 when you need an outlet. You could make a consideration for it there, since infinite mana and Genesis Hydra is as good as having Duskwatch Recruiter Flip, which has become the best kind of outlet (ones we can sink our mana into).
As it stands, that would be the best swap, but in reality, we're really looking to replace Generous Patron with another Heartwood Storyteller, Runic Armasaur, Glademuse, or Beast Whisperer. Until we get another creature like that to replace her, she's just the "best" at what she does in monogreen.
If you want to keep playing with Genesis Hydra, swap patron out and let us know how that goes! :)
2 weeks ago
Grove of the Guardian is a good land you could throw in, gives you a big token that can be copied. Cryptolith Rite is insane ramp. Illusionist's Bracers to copy Rhys's copy abillity, working very similarly to Doubling Season and crew. Crashing Drawbridge is a good budget way to give all your tokens haste which can be very valuable. Throne of the God-Pharaoh and Altar of the Brood are good wincons if you're not able to attack for whatever reason. Huatli, Radiant Champion, Mentor of the Meek, and Runic Armasaur are all pretty consistent card draw options throughout the entire game. And Aura Shards is a huge defensive piece, keeping opponents' games out of sync with their key artifacts and enchantments. A few tutors to get out creatures and enchantments help as well... a few are Idyllic Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Eladamri's Call, and Green Sun's Zenith. That should be a pretty good list to get you started, you can check out my Rhys deck if you would like for any other inspiration you may find: 0-60 in 3.5! (Rhys tokens). Rhys is such a fun commander! Make a big emphasis on ramp and quick token generation and watch it fly out of control! If you would like any help with cuts or any questions let me know!
1 month ago
The once a turn clause is definitely a drawback for sure, but I the way I figured it is if you have enough consistent card draw happening every turn then you're still getting to use the ability and you're finding other cards that will trigger it. More card draw never hurts, especially when your commander's activated ability can be a wincon depending on how many cards you have in hand. That reminds me, Library of Leng and Reliquary Tower both serve as pretty good budget options for holding onto all of the cards you'll be drawing, with Thought Vessel being a good but less budget option.
As far as drawing on everyone else's turns, the previously mentioned Runic Armasaur is a really nice choice. Some decent green instant draw you might like are Aggressive Urge, Benefactor's Draught, Bind, Feral Instinct, Inspiring Call, Lace with Moonglove, Lammastide Weave (lol), Momentous Fall (lots of tokens makes the sacrifice no big deal, especially if you get some big ones out there), Provoke, Skyshroud Blessing, Viridescent Wisps, and Vivify could be considered. Also the previously mentioned Verdant Rebirth. I'd say replacing the more situational cards that you'd usually be cycling anyway with cards that net you draw and share the same cost as the cycle should serve as replacements. For example Stinging Shot and Thornado are probably better off being replaced by some of the 2 cmc cards I just listed like Aggressive Urge, purely because in that case you're getting an effect and a card instead of just paying 2 to draw a card.
Gnarlback Rhino and Veil of Summer also have the potential to net you a card on another player's turn, with Veil being a good card all around and giving you some much needed stack interaction to get around enemy counters.
1 month ago
Here are some cards you might like: Beast Whisperer, Broodhatch Nantuko, Colossal Majesty, Deep Forest Hermit, Druid's Deliverance, Evolution Sage, Explore, Full Flowering, Gaea's Blessing, Garruk, Primal Hunter, Generous Stray, Giant Adephage, Gilt-Leaf Archdruid (pushing the budget, I know. Just thought I'd throw it out there),Hunter's Insight, Paragon of Eternal Wilds, Rampaging Baloths, Runic Armasaur, Sandwurm Convergence, Second Harvest, Selesnya Eulogist, Seton, Krosan Protector, Shapers' Sanctuary, Snake Umbra, Temur Sabertooth, Verdant Rebirth, Voice of Many.
Figured I'd give you a lot of different choices and you can pick through them for the ones you like.
What I would recommend you do with this deck is turn its focus into a cat and druid tribal deck that incorporates a lot of card draw and token generators along with populate effects. I feel it would bring a lot more synergy to your deck without increasing the price.
IF you ever wanted to break budget a little bit for this deck, I'd suggest maintaining the whole cat/druid/token themes and incorporating a little more of an enchantment focus with cards like Argothian Enchantress, Verduran Enchantress, Yavimaya Enchantress, Eidolon of Blossoms, and Setessan Champion. This would both boost your druid count a bit and your card draw significantly. These combined with enchantments like Beastmaster Ascension, Parallel Lives, Season of Growth and auras such as Keen Sense, and Sixth Sense, would net you a lot of value and power.
You might also consider cutting some of your lands like Blighted Woodland, Desert of the Indomitable, Slippery Karst, and maybe 1 or 2 forests, and adding in more ramp cards. I'd suggest maybe a Kodama's Reach and some artifact ramp like a Mind Stone, but I think you should focus most of your ramp on land auras like Wild Growth, Fertile Ground, Wolfwillow Haven, and Overgrowth. They'd be really nice if you ever decided to go down the Enchantress route.
I knooow this is long I'm sorry but I just see a lot of cool fun and potential in this deck of yours. :^) I tried to keep my recommendations budget but a few pricier choices might've slipped through. I hope this helps!
1 month ago
- Card draw:
- Sylvan Library : Card draw.
- Elvish Visionary : Cheap, cantrip, shaman.
- Mosswort Bridge : Pseudo cantrip.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip : Pseudo cantrip. Flip = better Gaea's Cradle.
- Blighted Woodland : Comes into play untapped. Ramp card mid-lategame.
- Path of Ancestry : Potential card filter.
- Strip Mine : Utility land.
- Gingerbread Cabin : Forest with minor upside. No reason not to play it in mono green.
- Fauna Shaman : Tutor, shaman.
- Noxious Revival : Manaless. Allows another shot for wincons.
- Scavenging Ooze : Manasink. graveyard disruption.
- Card draw:
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary : Card draw.
- Beast Whisperer : Green conditional card draw.
- Guardian Project : Green conditional card draw.
- Runic Armasaur : Card draw (meta dependent).
- Compost : Card draw (meta dependent).
- Sakura-Tribe Scout : Early game shaman. Mana acceleration.
- Genesis Wave : Pseudo card advantage.
- Arch of Orazca : Card draw.
- Win more:
- Myojin of Life's Web : Too expensive. Very likely that you do not have enough cards in hand to make this worthwhile lategame.
- Patron of the Orochi : Quest for Renewal is cheaper.
- Gigantomancer : Cute, but 8 mana is too much for this kind of effect.
- Archetype of Endurance : Win more card. No real synergy. Asceticism Is better (although also not recommended).
- Trolls of Tel-Jilad : This is a bad card.
- Soul of the Harvest : Beast Whisperer / Guardian Project, cheaper. Almost same effect.
- Sakiko, Mother of Summer : Too expensive. Doesn't do enough for mana cost.
- Sage of Ancient Lore Flip : Very likely that you do not have enough cards in hand to make this worthwhile mid-lategame.
- Wildheart Invoker : This is a bad card.
- Sakura-Tribe Springcaller : This is a bad card.
- Loaming Shaman : Not enough card draw that allows you to get your desired cards in you hand.
- Essence Warden : This is a bad card.
- Vines of Vastwood : Very situational card.
- Squall Line : Not very good card. Situational.
- Krosan Grip : Expensive situational removal.
- Gilded Lotus : Unnecessary ramp.
- Tranquil Grove : Unless your meta plays a lot of enchantments, not really necessary. Otherwise, recommmend Back to Nature instead.
- Beastmaster Ascension : Your creatures are not big enough for this to work consistently.
- Spidersilk Armor: No tutors, not enough card draw to obtain it. Unreliable flyer prevention. Silklash Spider Will hold off flyers with tutors.
Staple cards are cards I recommend obtaining and using, since they are almost always good cards to have in any green deck. The rest is up to preference and should be taken with a grain of salt. I hope I could be of some use to you.
1 month ago
Wow what a cool looking Primer. Solid deck, you did an absolutely great job! I'm a big Elf tribal fan, because Elves where my first deck ever.
Cool cards that I personally enjoyed playing:
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate = best green planeswalker atm! Cut Yeva and a Forest for Vivien and one/two of the following lands:
- Emergence Zone / Winding Canyons = instead of some Forests
- Sylvan Messenger / Collected Company / Lead the Stampede = much needed carddraw
- Survival of the Fittest / Birthing Pod / Yisan, the Wanderer Bard = best green Tutor-engines
- Ohran Frostfang / Runic Armasaur = really solid carddraw (/Rishkar's Expertise / Return of the Wildspeaker)
- Bane of Progress / Lignify / Song of the Dryads = very good green removal
- Isolated Watchtower / Terrain Generator / Path of Ancestry = cool lands you should consider instead of forests
- Aether Vial + enough draw can snowball really fast
- Cloudstone Curio = an insane combo piece/enabler, especially with: Aluren or Concordant Crossroads
This deck looks already pretty strong, if you want to play on a cEDH table, you just should do some small adjustments:
- Allosaurus Shepherd / Destiny Spinner = instead of the Herald
- Null Rod + Collector Ouphe!!
- Mana Crypt!!
- Chrome Mox / Mox Diamond
- Gemstone Caverns / Ancient Tomb
- Damping Sphere / Thorn of Amethyst = to stop storm decks and slow down other decks
- Sylvan Scrying = to tutor for Cradle or Cavern
- Carpet of Flowers/Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl
I played elves in almost every format and cool combo from modern was: Cloudstone Curio + Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel = infinite mana or with something like Elvish Visionary or Beast Whisperer you can also draw your entire deck if you want
1 month ago
Okay, sorry for the delay. Was in the middle of a move.
So first I think some degree of stack interaction would benefit this deck. I don't know what your meta is like, but dealing with enemy control could be a serious pain as you try to establish yourself, so cards like Pyroblast, Red Elemental Blast, Deflecting Swat (or other efficient redirect effects), or even Veil of Summer and Vexing Shusher (use this guy!) could prove to be worth the card slots when the game comes down to protecting your board state or making sure one of your spells resolves.
As for general upgrades I would consider adding in more removal like Beast Within and swap out Wilt for Nature's Claim for the cheaper cost because I feel like the cycling isn't super necessary and 4 life is insignificant. Then, if losing the cycling really bothers you, you can throw in Runic Armasaur for some really sweet card draw that also fits your theme. Additionally, for some pseudo card draw that also has the potential to mess with your opponent's hands AND is most definitely a puzzle, there's Teferi's Puzzle Box. It's a wheel that keeps on wheeling.. sort of. I would recommend potentially adding in more land destruction like Wildfire, Decree of Annihilation, or Obliterate along with recursion for yourself through stuff like Life from the Loam, Ramunap Excavator, Crucible of Worlds, and Titania, Protector of Argoth. Speaking of her, Priest of Titania could probably replace Llanowar Visionary, and along with that, more cheap elf mana dorks i.e. Llanowar Elves and Fyndhorn Elves would do you a lot of good. If you go the MLD route stepping your ramp up is gonna be really important so you can rebuild your board before your opponents can (which is also why you have land recursion), so you might want stuff like Utopia Sprawl, Wild Growth, Carpet of Flowers, or even Exploration if you can swing it. Finally for some additional creature-based wincons, we could put in Conspicuous Snoop + Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker as well as Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Zealous Conscripts . To tutor for these you could use Goblin Recruiter to fetch Kiki-Jiki and Snoop, or Imperial Recruiter to tutor for a specific creature you need or just use him to get his gobbo friend and then assemble your win. Some additional misc. cards you might find fun and want to consider: Magus of the Moon, Bane of Progress, Null Rod, Trinisphere, Urabrask the Hidden, Woodland Bellower, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger (don't do this to your friends lol), Ruination, Jokulhaups, and Root Maze.
Not all of this is going to fit in the budget you gave me, I just wanted to give you a lot of options and potentially stuff that you can build toward in the future if you decide you want to really invest in this deck. Hope this helps. :^)
1 month ago
Yeah, I once spent $4 for like 17 wastes. The guy at the game store gave me an extra for free. He's the same guy who gave my little brother a Runic Armasaur because he was looking for dinosaurs for his dinosaur deck. M19 had just come out.
Damn I feel old.