Creature — Dinosaur
Whenever an opponent activates an ability of a creature or land that isn't a mana ability, you may draw a card.
|Have (3)||gpuddleduck , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , sepheroth119|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Runic Armasaur Discussion
3 weeks ago
insaneinmate - Ty for getting back to me. I actually already run Heroic Intervention and Beast Whisperer.
I agree that I need more card draw... I'm currently sitting at 8 repeatable draw effects (9 if you count Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner, which I don't personally) and I'd prefer at least 1-2 more. I already run Beast Whisperer, Esper Sentinel, Toski, Ohran, Parley Selvala, Sylvan Library, Rites of Flourishing, and I recently added Jared for the monarch mechanic (but I haven't seen him yet).
Keeper of Fables I'm eyeballing but I'm not sure 22/34 creatures is a good enough ratio. Runic Armasaur I'm not sure I'd get enough consistent draw and it's a pain in the ass to police the game for. Heartwood Storyteller would be great in some games and a nightmare against control. Lifecrafter's Bestiary is another option that fills mana sink and card draw (that I admittedly just thought of).
A few mana sinks are a good idea too as I find myself overextending and leaving myself without a hand post boardwipe (this is something I can work on just with playstyle though). Grenzo is on my short list of '100% needs to be added' and covers both card advantage and a mana sink.
I eyeballed several of the spells/creatures that donate creatures but found myself very thin on the effect due to having a landfall subtheme which is a major difference between our decks. As a result I dropped everyone except Goblin Spymaster (which I'm subsequently eyeballing as a cut lol).
2 months ago
2 months ago
Hey, there's not much to say yet as this is just a list of cards you want to play, nice Swordtooth. Most of what you have so far on the low budget is good, but Decree of Savagery is not playable and Sun-Crested Pterodon, Elfhame Palace, Stone Quarry are really lackluster.
Do you own Gishath? I don't see him here, but I do see Atla. If you don't own Gishath then he's really not worth getting for $20 if you're on such a low budget. Atla is a fine Commander for Dinos and you have her. For $20 you could get many budget cards that are good with Atla rather than just Gishath.
Atla and Gishath will play very differently. Gishath is more straight forward, ramp and Dinos. Atla is more complex since you want ramp, sac outlets for Eggs and Dinos. Marauding Raptor is a combo Dino with Atla to kill an Egg right when it ETB. It also triggers enrage when a Dino ETB.
Some budget Dinos to consider adding:
- Marauding Raptor
- Quartzwood Crasher
- Apex Altisaur
- Ripjaw Raptor
- Thrasta, Tempest's Roar
- The Tarrasque
- Runic Armasaur
- Thrashing Brontodon
- Ranging Raptors
Some budget cards that have good interactions with Atla and/or Dinos or are ramp:
- Mirror Entity: is a Dino, is an Egg, can turn all creatures you control into Eggs, is a sac outlet.
- Garruk's Uprising: repeatable draw when Dinos ETB and give all Dinos trample.
- Goblin Bombardment: sac outlet for Eggs and each Egg that's saced can do 1 damage to another Egg to kill it too.
- Swiftfoot Boots: haste and hexproof protection for Atla.
- Arcane Signet: staple budget mana rock.
- Fellwar Stone
- Fertile Ground
- Wild Growth
- Farseek with Cinder Glade, Canopy Vista and Alpine Meadow.
- Forerunner of the Empire: puts the Dino on the top of your library to then sac an Egg. It can also kill Eggs.
- Mwonvuli Beast Tracker: puts the Dino with trample on the top of your library to then sac an Egg.
- High Market: sac outlet.
- Tyrite Sanctum: repeatable to make Atla bigger with +1/+1 counters and then give her indestructible.
- Fanatical Devotion: sac outlet and protection from most removal.
- Court of Bounty: can cheat a Dino from your hand onto the battlefield as well as be repeatable draw at your end step.
- Battlemage's Bracers: haste and double the Egg trigger of Atla.
- Fires of Yavimaya: haste enabler for all creatures you control including tokens.
Some budget land upgrades to consider:
- Exotic Orchard
- Path of Ancestry
- Jungle Shrine
- Opal Palace: cast Atla with it to give her one or more +1/+1 counter.
- Unclaimed Territory
- High Market
- Tyrite Sanctum
- Battlefield Forge
- Cinder Glade
- Canopy Vista
- Alpine Meadow
- Game Trail
- Fortified Village
Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
I didn't realise that Phyrexian Arena got enough hype for it to be over-hyped. Though your comment would indicate that you're moving from a pretty casual form of EDH (where Arena does work becuase games are soe drawn out) into a more competitive more tuned version of EDH.
As others have mentioned, when you get into this space then you're correct that the card does less work, due to either more removal or shorter games. As you start looking for more draw efficiency then you're either looking into cards which are super cheap ( Mystic Remora , Esper Sentinel , Dark Confidant , Sylvan Library , etc) or cards that will get you multiple draws per turn (some of hte aforementioned cards, Runic Armasaur , etc.). The other thing is that due to its double black, it makes the card a lot more clunky to cast in early games, when typically most decks are going for double blue or double green (because let's face it, these two colours dominate the competitive meta).
You also have your cantrips (as other comments have mentioned) - Sign in Blood is decent but Night's Whisper is generally preferred as the casting cost is easier. There's also Painful Truths which needs a 3+ colour deck to work but costs the same amount of mana as Arena with the upside of getting the three cards immediately.
Generally though, the more competitive decks use black primarily for its tutor ability rather than its draw ability (with the obvious exception of Necropotence ).
7 months ago
I want to start by saying I love the first paragraph of your description and I love Ruxa being the Ramp Professor!
I wanted to add some possible options you might consider as well: Runic Armasaur and Endless Atlas could be excellent draw options for you. Collector Ouphe might be a great Stax card to run if you play around it's ability. Emerald Medallion would also possibly do some work as well!
Also cheers! I'm always happy to see another green deck on here!
8 months ago
I've brewed up a mean pauper list - which you've seen but definitely intend on brewing up a normal optimized list eventually. Here are some of my notes.
1) Get Fynn out either asap or wait until you've developed your board and use him as a pay off. Getting him out on turn 1 can be done in a few ways... Lotus Petal and Elvish Spirit Guide are the go to budget options. Mana Crypt and Mox Diamond - are always a solid include but I believe you noted that was out of price range. So, I'm not exactly sure if Chrome Mox , Mox Opal and Jeweled Lotus are out of the question too.
2) Ohran Frostfang is a beast do not remove this card. Even if granting deathtouch is redundant, this is an excellent curve topper and draw engine. Also, you may not get full value out of Bow of Nylea ; if you ran some Birthing Pod , Eldritch Evolution or a go wide token lines its probably more worth it.
9 months ago
Sorry for the very lengthy reply. I just got swept up in this.
I've only played two games so my experience overall isn't going to tell me enough about how certain cards perform in various situations or if they're not synergizing enough with your strategy. I'm guessing you're on a budget. If your playgroup allows proxies, or money isn't an issue. Gaea's Cradle is always a great option in a deck that generates lots of token creatures, and you're already running Crop Rotation . The budget option to cradle though is Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. When I began my 2nd game playing this deck I was very concerned since one opponent was running Angus Mackenzie which usually just neuters this kind of strategy. I mean I lost that game for other reasons, but if it had dragged on I probably would need a lot of luck to have instant speed removal for Angus and enough power to alpha strike or I'd just lose to forever fog. That's certainly an edge case, but a tad more removal could be helpful to rid yourself of problematic creatures or other effects. Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation are a couple of great options. The only other creature that doesn't do something like fight that shot to the front of my mind to get around Angus was Questing Beast .
However, simply looking at the list and thinking about good options in general I would say the following cards should be considered for replacement:
- Colossal Majesty its a bit slow compared to other green card draw. Sylvan Library is probably the best replacement if money is no issue. Beast Whisperer is decent and you can tutor it. There are great one-time effects considering the swarm you usually have like Shamanic Revelation and Regal Force . Harmonize is always a solid option. Oakhame Adversary is usually getting through because of deathtouch and you can always leave him as a blocker. Depending on your meta Runic Armasaur can net you plenty of cards.
- Liege of the Tangle feels like you'd be better off with something that helps finish the game the turn it enters the battlefield for this much mana. Craterhoof Behemoth or something like that would be nice, but if you're content with the pump that you get from Kamahl then perhaps Bane of Progress would be nice to wipe the pesky artifacts and enchantments. God-Eternal Rhonas is another decent buff to finish with. Great Oak Guardian could potentially be a finisher with your ability to turn lands into creatures and Temur Sabertooth as a way to recast the treefolk again and again.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed I feel like she is a decent card, especially since she is indestructible, but her activated ability is pretty costly for only digging 1 card. I would prefer Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for this kind of effect and if it flips it does the cost reduction. If you're after an indestructible creature here then Rhonas the Indomitable is great for the deathtouch as a blocker or threat, and his pump + trample effect. For other nice cost reducers there's Emerald Medallion and Rhonas's Monument .
- Curious Herd was a dead card for me in one of my games where I drew it. I ended up discarding it when I ended a turn at 8 cards in hand. I can see that it has potential in some matchups, but its is a bit meta dependent. Arachnogenesis would probably be an upgrade in many cases, but again meta dependant.
- Magus of the Order I was surprised when I saw this in my hand because I didn't realize it had been printed. 2020 was a blur. However, as it stands there were not a lot of great targets for this to go tutor into play. Avenger, Nyxbloom, of Baloths were the primary options to me since Leige needs to swing and connect in order to do something and wait a turn before the lands can attack giving opponents a chance to wipe your board (including 8/8 lands). Actual Natural Order would be preferable since it is less telegraphed, but still need better finisher, utility, value to tutor for. Craterhoof, Bane of Progress, or maybe something like Apex Devastator for all the silly cascades.
- Roiling Regrowth -> Harrow (generally won't get countered so the additional cost on cast of sacrificing a land is a minimal risk) or if you want a body Springbloom Druid .
- Bow of Nylea it certainly has its utility, but something like Ohran Frostfang may be better for the deathtouch buff and supplemental card draw.
Other cards to consider:
- Skyshroud Claim it doesn't have the option to cycle, but untapped lands can really help in situations where you've doubled or tripled your mana produced.
- Zendikar Resurgent is just a great card.
- Eternal Witness works great with Temur Sabertooth and is generally just a great card.
- Overwhelming Stampede just a nice alternative finisher to Kamahl incase he's too expensive to get back on the field.
- Kogla, the Titan Ape not a lot of humans in your current iteration to have his bounce ability be useful like Temur Sabertooth , but he's still another way to fight a problematic creature and he can remove an artifact/enchantment per attack.
- Champion of Lambholt with so many token creatures you can get this up to a point where your creatures are unblockable.
- Soul of the Harvest is another solid source of incremental card draw.
- Triumph of the Hordes is a nice surprise finisher, especially against someone with near-infinite life.
- Carpet of Flowers meta dependent, but excellent ramp.
- Elder Gargaroth beefy, and has useful options every attack.
- Bellowing Tanglewurm since Kamahl already can pump, this can help get your alpha strike in.
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can just be a fun deterrent to board wipes if you have enough mana available to turn your opponent's lands into creatures in response.
- Oracle of Mul Daya just amazing for landfall theme.
- Gaea's Touch is a budget friendly option to help put more lands into play per turn, but they need to be basic forests.
- Tireless Tracker a bit grindy, but nice way to spend mana when you have nothing better to do. Also the treasure token trigger Kodama of the East Tree to allow you to put another land into play.
Some combo suggestions:
- Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to use the ranger's ability to return the ranger and untap any other creature that can tap for mana to recast the range and repeat for infinite cast triggers, creature ETB triggers for other permanents that care, and "landfall" triggers. Scryb Ranger can also work if your "lands" produce an additional green or if you have a way to give them haste like Lightning Greaves or Concordant Crossroads .
- Cloudstone Curio + Kodama of the East Tree to put a land into play, bounce another land, resolve Kodama trigger to put that land back into play and bounce the first land for as many additional lands you can play per turn. This becomes infinite if you have a permanent that generates any kind of token on landfall trigger.
11 months ago
Here are some cards you should consider