Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Silumgar, the Drifting Death
Legendary Creature — Dragon
Whenever a Dragon you control attacks, creatures defending player controls get -1/-1 until end of turn.
Recommendations View more recommendations
Guerric on [Primer] Unleash the Dragon! *Updated*
2 months ago
Hi everyone! At long last I've updated the list with some of the ancient dragons that I think will work best in the deck list.
The second is actually Ancient Gold Dragon. Kudos to AJohnney101 for pointing this out! It's not just good with Dragon Tempest. It's also good for our other cards that care about the number of dragons attacking, such as Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury who can easily kill a table with enough dragons on board, or to a lesser extend Dromoka, the Eternal. It can also wipe any board with Silumgar, the Drifting Death or add some 6/6s to the 1/1s with Utvara Hellkite. There's just a lot of combos and lines of play here that are really good. We'll cut Kairi, the Swirling Sky for it which isn't super great and certainly nowhere near as great as this.
Ancient Brass Dragon intrigued me initially, but at best it's a second copy of Teneb, the Harvester that doesn't take mana to activate, but which will whiff sometimes. Having a second copy of Teneb is considerable, but the risk of whiffing is as well, so I'm still on the fence.
Ancient Copper Dragon is also amazing and I wouldn't critique anyone adding that, but I think I'm good at the moment with Old Gnawbone and Savage Ventmaw for rampy dragons and am not at the present time investing a slot or money in it.
I also think AJohnney101's suggestion of Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm is intriguing. I can definitely see the value in making copies of not just Miirym but other dragons we want to reanimate, and there would be a lot of fun to be had with mass reanimation on this one. The ward is also not nothing, as this could also be played to nullify removal at Scion if someone holds up one for Path to Exile of can't otherwise pay to overcome the ward. I'll definitely keep this in mind!
Thanks for all the fabulous suggestions! My replies are mostly in the update list above. I also agree that late game we can usually run this deck just fine without Scion. He's a great tool to get us going, but we have lots of tricks to close out the game and a great toolbox.
I don't have Fellwar Stone because I am in green and don't really need many mana rocks. Rampant Growth and its many clones do most of my work here. I've only included Chromatic Lantern because of the incredible utility it provides to my mana base. I can see the case for Faithless Looting or as AJohnney101 suggested Amass the Components and the like. That being said, I in dislike in general one-off effects in a deck like this which often just aren't as useful as a piece that could give me repeat value, but that might be just me!
Thanks for the compliment! For the BG dragons see the update above
As usual, thanks for all of your valuable contributions to the deck and primer. They appreciated!
TypicalTimmy on Using these two cards, can …
6 months ago
I'm building a precon for Sivitri, Dragon Master and I was wondering if this interaction works or not.
One secret Commander I have is Silumgar, the Drifting Death for obvious reasons. But I also wanted a "prison / force" Commander as well, for her +1.
With Jon Irenicus, Shattered One (Who is budget at $0.35), I can give an opponent one of my Dragons. Now, that Dragon becomes Goaded, so it must attack each turn if able.
With Sivitri, her +1 says a creature can not attack unless an opponent pays 2 life for each attacking creature. So here's where I am being hung up: My opponent CAN pay the 2 life. They are given the choice to pay it, and they absolutely are able to.
Does this mean that when combat comes around, I can force my opponent to pay 2 life and attack someone else with one of my Dragons? And as the game progresses, suppose they have 3 of my Dragons. They are now forced to pay 6 life, and attack? Does that work?
Ear_Wyrm on Shivitri, Dragon Master
6 months ago
I think this deck could definitely benefit from Silumgar, the Drifting Death.
AJohnney101 on [Primer] Unleash the Dragon! *Updated*
11 months ago
StormageddonBHOJ along those lines, I like running See Beyond and Amass the Components because it lets me draw and shuffle back a big dragon that I'd rather tutor back out with Scion. This is especially true for dragons that protect Scion like Silumgar, the Drifting Death or Quicksilver Dragon.
Guerric on [Primer] Unleash the Dragon! *Updated*
1 year ago
Update February 16, 2022
I need to get around to finishing the primer, and there are a few dragons printed in recent sets that I am considering for the deck. The following are on my list-
1) Kairi, the Swirling Sky This new dragon has a lot of potential. What is most important is its ward ability, which can cause targeted removal against us to fizzle. Being able to use Scion's ability to protect itself is the best, and we heavily rely on Silumgar, the Drifting Death and Quicksilver Dragon for this. More protection pieces are highly welcome. It's also nice to have consolation for when Scion dies to a board wipe. Getting to mill some more dragons into our graveyard or draw some of our many instants and sorceries for free is a great value, and there may be times when we want to get some revenge by bouncing some of our opponent's non-creature permanents. This is good value all around.
2) Iymrith, Desert Doom While the ward affect is a bit conditional here, we'll still be able to use it more than we think, particularly if we haven't attacked or have something that gave us vigilance. Its far better than Palladia-Mors, the Ruiner, which showed promise but was very unlikely to help us out. The amazing thing here though is simply that it can draw cards, and helps us especially when we're down and can reload to three. This is the entire reason we run Dragon Mage, and it will be a super nice addition.
3) Lathliss, Dragon Queen I've thought about adding this for years, and maybe now will be the time. While it's not quite Utvara Hellkite and is less good as a Scion activation, it can still be pretty problematic for our opponents when we recur or mass recur, and could feasbily win a lot of games. I'll probably run it.
4) Old Gnawbone This is the best card printed for the deck in years. Its floor is high and it's ceiling is the sky. It's also very on theme for Dragons to hoard treasure! The only problem is its price tag in real world $, so it probably won't go in for now. Nonetheless, I'll be watching for when it either drops at rotation or enjoys a reprint.
theGentlemanSeal on Devoted to two Gods
1 year ago
Helm of the Ghastlord would be a great addition to beef up all your blue/black creatures. Also, Oona's Gatewarden is an easy fit in here. Some more dimir fundamentals would be Baleful Strix, Cemetery Puca, Dimir Guildmage, or Dimir Guildmage.
In terms of finisher cards, you could add: Gyruda, Doom of Depths, Wrexial, the Risen Deep, Dragonlord Silumgar, Silumgar, the Drifting Death, Ghastlord of Fugue, Blizzard Specter, Dire Undercurrents,
A version of the deck will a mill wincon could also make use of Ashiok, Dream Render, Phenax, God of Deception, Lurking Informant, Nemesis of Reason, Psychic Drain, Mind Grind, Nightveil Specter, and the many more mill focused cards from across blue and black.
A deck that leans more into flash could use Slitherwisp.
Overall, I quite like and want to see it down the line!
Stardragon on First Dragon Commander Deck
1 year ago
Great first deck but i fear you may not have the mana you need to make it work i would cut some lands like for some more basic lands and get a few more land ramps
Crucible of the Spirit Dragon for a Basic Mountain, Crucible is fine but slow as it only taps for colorless and you have to pay mana to get colored mana, this is the biggest maybe I've never like storage lands personally.
Gateway Plaza, Archway Commons and Rupture Spire one or two of these can be cut for another mountain and a Darigaaz's Caldera
I would also trade Opulent Palace for Savage Lands since Jund () are your main colors
I would also rearrange some of your basic land numbers try 5x Mountains, 4x Forests, 3x Swamps and 2x Plains and Islands and i would cut Underdark Rift, Treasure Vault, Rogue's Passage and Prismari Campus for the basic lands
Would also try to get some cheap basic ramp cards like Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Farseek and Sword of the Animist for basic land ramp and things like Hour of Promise, Tempt with Discovery, Pir's Whim, Explore and Growth Spiral for non basic ramp.
Now that I told my thoughts on your mana here are some other cards to help your dragons not sure your budget so i categized them. These price are based off of TCGplayer.
0.1-$4.99-Favorable Winds0.40, Teneb, the Harvester$3, Lathliss, Dragon Queen $3.50, Silumgar, the Drifting Death 0.70, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury 0.70, Eerie Ultimatum $3, Ruinous Ultimatum $5, Genesis Ultimatum $1.00,
$5-$9.99-Dragon Tempest$5, Scion of the Ur-Dragon $7, Drakuseth, Maw of Flames $5, Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund $3.50, Mirari's Wake $6, Rhythm of the Wild $6
$10-$19.99- Scalelord Reckoner $13, Vanquisher's Banner $12, Sarkhan Unbroken $15,Sarkhan, Fireblood $11,
$20 and over-Terror of the Peaks $25, Dragonlord Dromoka $25, Balefire Dragon $30, The Great Henge $50, Urza's Incubator $40, Sarkhan, Dragonsoul $27, Chromatic Orrery $20
multimedia on Tiamight
1 year ago
Hey, nice version, solid deck building on a budget. Looks like you got the Draconic Rage Commander precon and upgraded it to Tiamat?
Some budget Dragon upgrades to consider:
- Hellkite Charger --> Hoard-Smelter Dragon or Embercleave which is closer price.
- Silumgar, the Drifting Death --> Demanding Dragon
- Teneb, the Harvester --> Velomachus Lorehold
- Bladewing the Risen --> Dragon Turtle
- Dragonlord Ojutai --> Skyship Stalker or Galazeth Prismari which is closer price.
Savage Ventmaw + Hellkite Charger is a budget way with Dragons to have many extra attacks. When each of these Dragons attacks both trigger at the same time and you can choose the order these triggers resolve. First resolve Ventmaw to make six mana then resolve Charger and use the six mana + one other mana to pay for an extra attack and repeat. These two let you have a number of extra attacks equal to the amount of mana you have which can be a lot of attacks. Add Dragonborn Champion to draw a lot of cards.
Some budget other spell upgrades to consider:
- Crux of Fate --> Shatterskull Smashing
- Temur Ascendancy --> Colossal Majesty
- Patriarch's Bidding --> Bag of Tricks
- Court of Bounty --> Fires of Invention
- Seasons Past --> Turntimber Symbiosis
- Faeburrow Elder --> Tempting Contract
Crux of Fate is a very powerful for Dragons in multiplayer Commander since it can wreck all your opponents creatures leaving you unscathed to attack. Temur Ascendancy has two repeatable effects that are great with Dragons: a haste enabler and repeatable draw whenever a Dragon ETB. Patriarch's Bidding is a powerful budget tribal card since it reanimates all Dragons in your graveyard for five mana. Seasons Past is any card recursion which you don't have any. Use Seasons Past with Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient to potentially cast all the cards you got back.
Some other upgrades to consider:
- Tyrite Sanctum --> Temple of the False God
Tyrite Sanctum can be a repeatable way to put a +1/+1 counter on a legendary creature you control. Use Tyrite with Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients to first make him a God and then make him indestructible for unlimited enrage.
Good luck with your deck.
|Have (2)||metalmagic , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|