- 1x Apocalypse Hydra
- 1x Avenger of Zendikar
- 1x Dosan the Falling Leaf
- 1x Elvish Visionary
- 1x Feral Hydra
- 1x Fyndhorn Elder
- 1x Greenweaver Druid
- 1x Hooded Hydra
- 1x Hydra Omnivore
- 1x Karametra's Acolyte
- 1x Mistcutter Hydra
- 1x Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip
- 1x Nylea, God of the Hunt
- 1x Polukranos, World Eater
- 1x Primordial Hydra
- 1x Protean Hydra
- 1x Sakura-Tribe Elder
- 1x Savageborn Hydra
- 1x Scavenging Ooze
- 1x Siege Behemoth
- 1x Silklash Spider
- 1x Skarrg Guildmage
- 1x Soul of the Harvest
- 1x Ulvenwald Hydra
- 1x Ulvenwald Tracker
- 1x Vexing Shusher
- 1x Wall of Roots
- 1x Whisperer of the Wilds
- 1x Xenagos, God of Revels
- 1x Yavimaya Elder
- 1x Zhur-Taa Druid
- 1x Cavern of Souls
- 1x Cinder Glade
- 1x Evolving Wilds
- 14x Forest
- 1x Ghost Quarter
- 1x Gruul Turf
- 1x Karplusan Forest
- 1x Kessig Wolf Run
- 1x Mogg Hollows
- 1x Mossfire Valley
- 7x Mountain
- 1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- 1x Rogue's Passage
- 1x Rootbound Crag
- 1x Rugged Highlands
- 1x Skarrg, the Rage Pits
- 1x Stomping Ground
- 1x Wooded Foothills
- 1x Asceticism
- 1x Bonds of Mortality
- 1x Burgeoning
- 1x Death's Presence
- 1x Elemental Bond
- 1x Fires of Yavimaya
- 1x Gruul War Chant
- 1x Into the Wilds
- 1x Primal Rage
- 1x Primal Vigor
- 1x Clan Defiance
- 1x Green Sun's Zenith
- 1x Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
- 1x Nissa's Pilgrimage
- 1x Plow Under
- 1x Rampant Growth
- 1x Red Sun's Zenith
- 1x Stone Rain
And note, that this is not meant for a competitive environment, I just want to know if this can even work at casual games :D
January 22, 2017 10:52 a.m.
I've playtested your deck against a couple of mine, which I think are generally fairly close on the casual-hardcode scale. Here are my random thoughts and suggestions.
- Sapseep Forest - Entering tapped isn't worth the upside.
- Mogg Hollows - Only getting coloured mana every other turn seems bad.
- 1x Forest, 1x Mountain to make place for...
- Karplusan Forest and Mossfire Valley - Two untapped mana-fixing lands.
- Mosswort Bridge and Spinerock Knoll - Both of these have requirements that should be easy to meet in your deck. They're really bad with X spells, but you have a lot of other useful targets.
- Clip Wings for Silklash Spider, a lot slower and more expensive, but reusable.
- Gruul Keyrune for Gruul Signet A 3/2 trample is really small in EDH, so I'd go for the lower mana cost if I were you.
- Lightning Bolt for Ulvenwald Tracker Basically Doom Blade on a stick with the huge guys you will be keeping around. Also fun with Thornbite Staff, which is also incredible ramp with Rosheen if you can arrange some other way to have creatures die. Volcanic Fallout would be an example.
More general suggestions:
- Might of Old Krosa One-off buffs aren't that great when you have three opponents you need to get down from 40 life. It's certainly not reliable as removal, either.
- Increasing Savagery Your many X-creatures turn mana into power and toughness. No need to have a separate card that does the same.
- Solidarity of Heroes Very powerful at the right time, but it's a one-off effect that requires some setup.
- Feral Incarnation - Three 3/3 beasts isn't worth the mana, and you don't have enough token generation to make it "free".
- Skarrg Guildmage - There are better trample-givers, like Nylea, God of the Hunt.
- Genesis In this type of deck with low-count high-value creatures I'd try to sneak this in, but it depends on how graveyard-hatey your meta is.
- Asceticism Again, high-value creatures that respond poorly to single-target removal. Keep your hydras safe!
- Death's Presence Even if your hydras die you get to keep most of their value.
- In the Web of War, Fires of Yavimaya or Xenagos, God of Revels - Haste on large creatures is huge, you can swing and kill someone without them getting the time to set up defence.
- Gyre Sage - Makes each hydra larger than the previous one, which makes him larger, which makes the next hydra larger... :o
- Elemental Bond - Card draw when you play creatures keeps the creatures coming.
- Soul of the Harvest - As above.
- Aggravated Assault - The plan is to make lots of mana and huge creatures. Letting them work double shifts the next turn might secure a kill (or two).
Slightly out of budget suggestions:
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - She seems perfect for the deck. Huge creatures, huge mana, extra cards.
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - In decks with two colours or less, this makes a lot of mana.
To make room for this I'd personally cut all the treefolk. They're better in mono-green.
It depends on your meta, but I'd also cut all planeswalkers except maybe Xenagos. They just tend to die so quickly in EDH. Xenagos generally at least pays for himself, though.
You could also consider multi-mana dorks, like Bloom Tender, Fyndhorn Elder, Greenweaver Druid, Nantuko Elder, Priest of Titania, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, Somberwald Sage, Whisperer of the Wilds, Wirewood Channeler, Karametra's Acolyte and dubiously Frontier Siege.
I hope you can take at least something from this.
January 23, 2017 2:57 a.m.
I had a semi-rushed rundown analysis on your suggestions and tried to figure out your thoughts behind the changes (Deeper than the nutshell explanations) and made some immediate changes on cards I absolutely thought were much better, and maybeboarded the cards that will needs more extensive research on the play envirenment. Again thanks so much! I think my first introduction (whenever I find a group playing edh regularly) to EDH is a lot smoother now, maybe not get stomped on the get go :D
January 23, 2017 4:39 a.m.
Now to my egoboosted defence on the few cards I really dont want to ditch:
Mogg Hollows: Its +1 is good with all the x cost, It provides the one necessary color if youre one short and all the nonland mana sources outweight it's minor negative. And I'm mainly using it's coloured mana when I absolutely have to. (Plus I got a tempest print of it which is really mtg-penis largening :D)
Solidarity of Heroes Is something I think you are underestimating in a counter specific deck like this, as it will ALWASY find targets and I most likely have abough mana floating around to cast it on atleast 3 targets. It's a card, that when not countered, most likely drops one player out of the game with just one swing (Requiering a trample provider which is semi easy to wait for when you most likely are a player that instills enough fear to make risky plays or if to focus me in the stages. Or on the worst case and you pull crap, you'll get rushed down before astablishing anything, in which case no card in the game saves you :))
Skarrg Guildmage Turning your lands in to an unstoppaple 4/4 army through Xenagos, the Reveler +1, helping pay for the transformation without using minimum lands that want to crossdress as fearful soldiers, to get the required amount in one killing blow possible. And with the trample sources, they go through one way of another.
PS. In half an hou I already saw how much this will improve with just replasing similar cards with ulmimately better alternatives, but I'll stast serious theory crafting as suun as I get home later tonight! Again thank you for your time!
January 23, 2017 5:15 a.m.
PlutoniumWedding: Now that I think I have a pretty solid base of creating huge threats, do you think I have enough trample providers/finishers in relation ?
January 24, 2017 4:51 a.m.
I feel like you probably wouldn't want to dilute your main strategy of playing huge creatures by adding too many support cards. Giving everyone trample but having no hydras to punch with is no fun. I think that between five and seven is a pretty good number, as you should draw at least one most games but not end up stuck with too many. Personally I wouldn't count Garruk Wildspeaker, though, since he has to survive an entire turn just to do it once, and can only do it once every five turns maximum, even if your opponents generously leave him alone.
With that said there's a few more ways to get damage through that you might want to consider if you find that your opponents often have too much blocking ability.
Siege Behemoth and Predatory Focus are basically super-trample. Your creatures will still take damage and you could play Dolmen Gate to mitigate this, of course, but your creatures tend to be huge anyway so it probably won't be necessary.
One fun card is Hydra Omnivore, which lets you choose the opponent with the weakest defence to attack, but deal damage to everyone regardless. It has no specific synergy with your general, but can sometimes be an instant win with Xenagos, God of Revels and a weakened opponent or something to give it trample.
There's also plenty of cards in red that just flat out prevent your enemies from blocking, like Barrage of Boulders, which also clears tokens, Destructive Tampering, which can also remove annoying artefacts, Seismic Elemental, which is also another beater, Tectonic Rift, which is probably an upgrade to your Stone Rain even with the cost increase, or Wave of Indifference, which works well with your commander.
On a different topic, Omnath, Locus of Mana is also kind of borderline for your budget, but especially if he's out early he lets you stockpile excess mana between casting fatties. Unfortunately, Rosheen's is colourless and can't be stored.
A Temur ramp deck with Rosheen and Kruphix, God of Horizons would be interesting...
Another ramp option is Animist's Awakening, which should do well with Rosheen.
Finally, a very good card to play with all your big tramplers is Bow of Nylea, because of how deathtouch and trample interact. Basically each enemy creature will only be able to block a single point of damage. It also has utility uses and if you are out of cards at least lets you use your mana to grow your creatures a bit each turn.
Sorry for the wall of text. Hope this is at least a little bit helpful.
January 25, 2017 1:09 a.m.
Oh it is! As this propably never sees play outside of a really small environment, I wont go into upgrading this to "too" good. There were a few choises that really peaked my interest and your thought behind them and will add a few of them to it! I gotta say that I just found out I'm gonna have healthy baby daughter so mtg is far off my mind right now! :D
January 25, 2017 6:36 a.m.
Please login to comment
|Date added||3 months|
|Last updated||2 months|
This deck is Commander / EDH legal.
|Tokens||0/1 Plant, 4/4 Elemental, 1/1 Snake, 2/2 Satyr|