Red Sun's Zenith
Red Sun's Zenith deals X damage to target creature or player. If a creature dealt damage this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead. Shuffle Red Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||TheAlmostHero , , gildan_bladeborn , REV666 , Tiddilywinkus , ZombieFood , Lindough , Kvothe1115 , golgarigirl , rockleemyhero , switchkill65 , DrLitebur , brokendwarf|
Red Sun's Zenith Discussion
2 weeks ago
Hey there! I think there are some ramp cards you should consider that are below the one-dollar mark. Try replacing Pilgrim's Eye and Traveler's Amulet with cards like Commander's Sphere, Darksteel Ingot, etc. This and cared draw are most essential, which blue has a bounty of the latter like Treasure Cruise, Opportunity, and Foresee. Also, there are some cards that are not quite doing enough for what you want in an EDH deck. Consider cutting cards like Magma Jet, Hungry Flames, Izzet Chronarch, Anarchist, etc. and replacing them with other cards that you would want to double with all your copiers such as one great example you have in there, Fireball. For example, Comet Storm would be awesome with this deck style. For removal, consider cards like Reality Shift, Rapid Hybridization, Curse of the Swine, or even Red Sun's Zenith. For retrieval, instead of Feldon's Cane or Elixir of Immortality, consider maybe Spelltwine, Call to Mind, and Pull from the Deep. Rise from the Tides seems like an auto-include as well. Hope this improves your consistency! :)
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Hey, I saw your comment on my page. Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you on that!
I also agree with a lot of what Austin_Smith_of_Cards said. I also have a few comments on specific card choices. But overall, I think that a philosophy lesson may help you become a better deckbuilder :)
2) Every card with CMC greater than 5 must almost-singlehandedly win the game (outside of HEAVY mana ramp, and mono-green decks). If the card isn't impactful enough to warrant its high mana cost, it will clog up your hand and damage your board development. The one major exception is in reanimator decks.
3) Find a median level of reliance on your commander. It is your most reliable card, because you have it every single game (even more so after the tuck rule was amended). But if you rely too heavily on it, it's easy for your opponent to cripple you with a Counterspell or Song of the Dryads.
4) Combo pieces are only playable if 1) The combo immediately wins the game upon resolution, 2) You play a significant number of tutors, and/or 3) Each individual combo piece synergizes well with the rest of the deck. I see people fall into this trap a lot: they load their deck full of combo pieces, then fail to draw the remainder of their combo.
And 5) Before you start building, have a strong idea of what you want the deck to do (though of course the deck will evolve). Decide where you want the deck to go, and the cards will come naturally. Do you want to win with creatures, or with combos, or with your commander specifically? Do you want to have it be fast and vicious, or slow and grindy? To find cards, EDHRec is good (in moderation), TappedOut lists are solid, and Gatherer is your best friend :)
Now, on to specific suggestions!
1) I would not cut Lightning Bolt. It's one of the most under-appreciated cards in EDH (but it's an extremely efficient kill-spell 99% of the time).
2) I'd either cut Sanguine Bond or add many more tutors - see Point 4 above.
4) You really, really, really do need more ramp (particularly ramp that can give you black mana). You don't have a Sol Ring in here...fix that ;)
5) If your mana base can support it, there's no better black "draw" than Necropotence. The card is bonkers.
7) I might be able to help more if you tell me about your meta :)
Overall, a very very good first EDH deck! :) You get my +1, definitely!
1 month ago
2 months ago
You shouldn't only add Dynavolt Tower. You'll have to use more energy-based cards in that case such Harnessed Lightning to provide more synergy.
I recommend at least side boarding a Red Sun's Zenith to exile renewable creatures such as Gravecrawler. That way you don't really waste any of your limited burn spells. Second, Black Sun's Zenith is very costly. You may want to consider Languish or Damnation. Languish is the more affordable option.
2 months ago
Well that was simply a first pass.
I wouldn't suggest the energy subtheme, it doesn't really help. Bolt, Swords to Plowshare, Path to Exile, Condemn, Lightning Helix are all good, then you can start going Searing Spear, Incinerate, Lightning Strike? Red Sun's Zenith and White Sun's Zenith also seem pretty good for you, as repeatable engines for burn/removal and creatures.