|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Mirrodin Besieged (MBS)||Rare|
|Mirrodin Besieged: Mirran (MBM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Red Sun's Zenith
Red Sun's Zenith deals X damage to target creature or player. If a creature dealt damage this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead. Shuffle Red Sun's Zenith into its owner's library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||dplerner , gildan_bladeborn , rockleemyhero , , mazrimtaim , REV666 , Tiddilywinkus , ZombieFood , Lindough , switchkill65 , geazykagar , pokemate0 , TheAlmostHero , plof , Gabeph , mziter501 , brokendwarf , DrLitebur|
|Want (2)||Turtlelover73 , richardmv|
Red Sun's Zenith Discussion
2 days ago
Since your dragons have high CMC your other spells should be much cheaper. Than i would suggest more removal:Lightning Bolt, Lightning Strike, Abradeinstead of Banefire i would play Red Sun's Zenith, cause you get it back into your library.
Some Ramp with Desperate Ritual.
Than Glorybringer can be a big threat and is like a removal. 5 Mana with 4/4 Flying, Haste and with Extert you can shoot 4 damage to target non-dragon creature, like another removal.
Then Atarka's Command is more usefull than your big Enchantments.
Than i would only Splash green only for dragons and Atarka's Command and play more creature removal.
And your Deck will be Modern not Standard.
I would play like this:
3 weeks ago
I was casting it xp lol. I'm actually working on an artifact - myr deck using Ramos, Dragon Engine as my commander withHellkite Tyrant and a few infinite mana production engines with Blue Sun's Zenith, Red Sun's Zenith, Torment of Hailfire etc. As win-cons
2 months ago
It would be helpful in evaluating the deck if your description actually went in to more detail about your intended game plan and the interactions that the deck is built around. Without that information, it's hard to evaluate some of your choices.
Also, there's a lot of card choices here that are not great EDH cards. In some ways, this list looks a lot like if what you'd get if you took a reasonable 60-card constructed Izzet spells deck and brought it up to 100 cards by adding similar versions of the stuff that was great in the 60 card deck. Things like Rift Bolt, Vapor Snag, Delver of Secrets Flip and Monastery Swiftspear tend to be much worse in EDH than in normal games for a couple reasons:
- As a 40-life format, they're almost trivial when pointed at face. Shock only does the work of Gut Shot.
- Since the format tends to be slower, mana pools are larger and cheap, efficent spells that are so good in 60-card are massively outclassed by more powerful, more flexible options at higher CMCs. That's not to say that running a handful of cheap removals or counters isn't good, but you run a few of them to deal with very specific must-answer threats. They're not your bread and butter.
I'd also recommend cutting Browbeat. In EDH, nobody is really too sad to take 5. If you want to draw 3 cards, Treasure Cruise is just going to be insanely better. Mana Leak and Censor are probably going to be dead a huge portion of the time as well. Slightly more expensive hard counters are generally going to be better (or something like Arcane Denial, which is really good in EDH.
In terms of mana base, you probably want more mana rocks, too. While your average CMC isn't very high, your payoff cards are all pretty expensive and in a lot of cases, you're going to need to be casting a bunch of spells in a turn to really get things done. At the very least, I'd recommend adding Sol Ring and Izzet Signet. You might also consider something like Mind Stone or maybe even Dreamstone Hedron.
All that out of the way, there's some cards you might consider adding:
- Aetherflux Reservoir is a really common EDH storm-style deck win con. You don't need to gain much life to kill a player with it.
- Blasphemous Act is one of the best red board wipes (not sure if it'd be in budget or not)
- Burnished Hart is an all-around great ramp card
- Charmbreaker Devils is a huge threat that also gives you more spells to cast
- Docent of Perfection Flip fills a similar role to Talrand, which is one of the best cards in the deck already
- Echo Mage is an option for spell copying if you want to go really deep (probably the worst copier of what I've listed here)
- Empty the Warrens can flood the board pretty efficiently at the end of a big turn
- Insidious Will is a great counterspell in EDH
- Mana Geyser is absurdly broken in multiplayer EDH. It's more broken online where people tap out to F8, but it's still pretty good and can lead to an absurd Comet Storm.
- Nivix Guildmage is another way to copy spells wherever you need a mana sink
- Red Sun's Zenith is a repeatable Fireball
- Reverberate is incredibly flexible and cheap enough to be able to hold up easily
- Rise from the Tides is frequently a "board wipe or bust" level card in these kinds of decks
- Rite of Replication may be out of budget, but can win games on its own
- Seething Song is basically a free spells for triggering any of your payoff cards and can ramp to bigger X spells
- Spelltwine gives you 3 spell casts on its own
- Sphinx-Bone Wand gives incidental damage as you cast spells. You can frequently kill an opponent in one big turn with it.
- Temporal Fissure can utterly blow people out at the end of a big turn
- Treasure Cruise is legal in EDH and still utterly busted
- Volcanic Vision can be a one-sided board wipe
- Wild Ricochet is a super fun card in this sort of deck
Good luck with the deck :)
2 months ago
Fun deck idea you have going here, but the reason the deck is not able to be standard legal is because the only "standard" format card you are running is Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim. The standard format is the most recent sets in magic which currently includes: Battle for Zendikar block to current set.
What you currently have made is a "Modern" format deck. This format contains cards from Mirrodin forward. For a complete list of Modern sets you can view it on the MTG site here and for Standard you can click here.
A card you may want to consider for your deck is Lightning Bolt. A couple copies of this will give you a great early game answer card that can be used to go to your opponents face when needed. Would suggest taking out Fireball to make room for these as you are already running two copies of Red Sun's Zenith which go back into your deck after use.
Lastly I would suggest putting in 2 copies of a source dedicated to white and black into your deck since the vivid lands can only produce mana a limited number of times.
Sorry to be so long winded, but I hope the comment helps. Best of luck with the deck.
3 months ago
This would be a 'creatureless' version I might consider...
- 18x Mountain
- 4x Darksteel Citadel
- 4x Boom/Bust
- 4x Molten Rain
- 4x Stone Rain
- 3x Roiling Terrain
- 3x Seismic Spike
- 3x Lightning Bolt
- 3x Pyroclasm
- 3x Shattering Spree
- 1x Red Sun's Zenith
- 4x Crack the Earth
- 4x Simian Spirit Guide
- 2x Trinisphere
I'm starting to think that looks pretty interesting. Crack the Earth could be potentially devastating, especially against those white creatures with ProtRed. Red Sun's Zenith gives me a potentially recurring finisher and if it comes down to it would at least theoretically keep me from decking myself.
3 months ago
I appreciate those insights. Is there really that much removal out there that would be able to take down the Wumpus? What would your victory condition be without the Wumpuses (Wumpi?)? Roiling Terrain? Just having them draw out? Maybe include a Red Sun's Zenith?
Do you have any insights on which version of the deck might be more effective (Mill vs. Trinisphere)? Is this a legitimate deck to try and go creatureless with, not counting the Spirit Guides? What do you think about including Crack the Earth as removal?
3 months ago
I was a little confused on if I could use either White Sun's Zenith or Red Sun's Zenith with Panoptic Mirror . After reading the rulings on Panoptic Mirror and looking at a few threads on copying cards with X in the mana cost, I was lost. People said that if you cast the spell and lets say X=3, then if you copy it, you cannot change the value of X. But with Panoptic Mirror you don't cast the spell in the first place, and it says that if there is an X it equals 0. I'm assuming that I could copy the one of the Sun's Zeniths but X would equal 0 so it wouldn't be useful at all.
3 months ago
I have tested a little bit, Cloudchaser.Kestrel. It could probably use a couple more mana rocks, eg Fire Diamond. It also tends to run out of cards in hand pretty quickly, since you can ramp HARD with Neheb, so there is no such thing as too much draw power in this deck (I probably need more). I'm thinking I'll cut everything in the 2-4 CMC range that doesn't do either of those things, in favor of more of those things.
However, during my goldfishing, I did get out a T7 Tyrant's Familiar followed by Hostility and Strionic Resonator, and then next turn I cast Red Sun's Zenith for 7 followed by Burn from Within for upwards of 40...so I'd say it's pretty brutal.