Creature — Hydra
Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Protean Hydra, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters from it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the next end step.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price||Cardhoarder (MTGO) Price|
|$0.58||$1.64||$3.34||$2.77||0.01 TIX||0.1 TIX|
|Have (14)||canterlotguardian , Virlym , mymanpotsandpans , Malice_leche , Explotography , nemesis101 , sonnet666 , Silverf1sh , Tiddilywinkus , LittleBlueHero , geazykagar , gurthang034 , abdulbaqr , McBobson|
|Want (2)||bakdoi , trolley|
Protean Hydra Discussion
3 days ago
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Aright then, the first thing you need to focus on is your lands. Only having basics is a recipe for disaster, especially when you have Avatar. You need Llanowar Reborn no questions asked. Also, scute mob just can't benefit fast enough from Harrow to be relevant,so you should probably get rid of them for Hardened Scales. If you can find some way get AEther Vials even though their really expensive. They would be insane in your deck. Corpsejack menace is way to slow, so try out Protean Hydra and Mistcutter Hydra. I don't like bio shifts place in the deck, it just seems so janky in its situations, so replace it for removal. If you can Abrupt Decay.
4 weeks ago
- Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
- Thornwood Falls, strictly better than Mirrodin's Core
- Prophet of Kruphix, sort of an auto-add for any U/G edh deck. Super good.
- Actually pretty much everything ZToups said, especially Fathom Mage. 100% the most valuable draw card in my Vorel deck. I'm not so sure about Trinket Mage, but I imagine it'd pull some weight in this deck.
- Mistcutter Hydra can't be targeted by Vorel, so you could probably find a better one. Kalonian Hydra and Primordial Hydra are probably the best ones, but sort of expensive. Even like Protean Hydra is more valuable than Mistcutter, imo.
- If you find you need more removal, Reality Shift, Curse of the Swine, Beast Within, Cyclonic Rift, all good. Especially the last one.
- Stuff that untaps stuff (read: Vorel) is good, like Kiora's Follower, Thousand-Year Elixir, Minamo, School at Water's Edge.
- Viral Drake has infect, and can turn all your mana into proliferation, which is handy. Tezzeret's Gambit is ok, too.
- Spike Weaver and Spike Feeder both offer neat little counter utility.
1 month ago
So before damage happens, a creature with trample will have its damage assigned where at least enough damage to kill the blocking creature(s) and the leftovers to the defending player. Then damage happens all at the same time. So if you have a 10/10 Protean Hydra that is blocked by a 2/2, you would assign 2 damage to the 2/2 and 8 to the defending player. Then damage would happen, so two +1/+1 counters would be removed from Protean Hydra, 2 damage would be dealt to the 2/2 and 8 damage would be dealt to the defending player. It would not reduce the damage dealt to either the creature or the player.
1 month ago
When you look at the abilities for Protean Hydra, it says that whenever damage would be dealt to it, the damage is prevented and that many 1/1 counters are removed from it. My question is, when my Protean Hydra attacks and has the trample ability via another source like an enchantment or creature ability, and an opponents creature blocks, do the 1/1 counters that are on him get removed by the defending creature's damage at the same time he is dealing damage to that creature, and if so, wouldn't that cause his overall attack to be reduced and thus not be able to apply as much excess damage with trample? Thanks for your time, God bless :D
1 month ago
There are many different mechanics to play with under Vorel decks in terms of gaining those +1/+1 counters...
Megamorph: Silumgar Spell-Eater
Activated: Scavenging Ooze
|Power / Toughness||0/0|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2011 Core Set||Rare|
|2010 Core Set||Mythic Rare|