Creature — Hydra
Protean Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
If damage would be dealt to Protean Hydra, prevent that damage and remove that many +1/+1 counters from it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Protean Hydra, put two +1/+1 counters on it at the beginning of the next end step.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price||Cardhoarder (O) Price|
|$0.99||$1.99||$2.81||$3.15||0.01 TIX||0.02 TIX|
|Have (12)||drwhosmith4 , Tiddilywinkus , mymanpotsandpans , TheOfficialRAE , Kundarak , crusader4321 , geazykagar , Kyndoria , turnbuckle , ecurps , maR2307 , canterlotguardian|
|Want (3)||MenacingBunny , exodius , shaderaven|
Protean Hydra Discussion
1 week ago
Hey PercivaL, loving this deck. I bought all the cards and play the deck on a daily basis :D
Just wanted to let you know that I added 1 Xenagos, the Reveler (it was cheap, 7 bucks for 2 of them) for some extra mana and the chances of activating the ultimate is great when you have such a defencive board.
The only downside I experienced so far is the mana. I usually struggle to get red mana and even plains sometimes. Might add some Evolving Wilds or some stronger dual land-cards in the future.
Also noticed that Protean Hydra is a fun card but usually ends up dying before it can find synergy with Pyrohemia. I will probably keep it in the deck because it does work great with Leyline of Vitality.
Anyway, this deck is truly awesome and sometimes it's just outright broken. Last week I practically got infinite life and my opponent did not want to play against the deck ever again. :D
1 week ago
See I knew I missed one, Protean Hydra is exactly what I was talking about with removing counters and adding two more :)
But, among the dozens of Hydra out there, it stands alone in true flavor.
Rock Hydra is kind of similar and you've got to love that old-school artwork.
Thanks for the comments guys, I was hoping someone would show me that I was wrong and there was at least one Hydra that worked "right". I still think something like this would be pretty cool and a bit more menacing to deal with in a Standard block someday.
1 week ago
Protean Hydra works like Hydras "should". Kinda like cut off one head and two more grow as long as it doesn't die completely.
2 weeks ago
Okay there are some cards here I don't think you should run;
Oran-Rief Hydra isn't worth it in most cases, better dorks or hydras
3 weeks ago
Sylvan offering should DEFINITELY be in here, because with Priest of Titania and Elvish Archdruid wil just keep pouring out free mana from your elves, tap them, gain whatever amount of mana, attack with Copperhorn Scout, tap both of the mana-producing elves, use all that mana for Sylvan Offering. Then next turn, do the same thing to get A LOT more mana, then use that mana to cast a Protean Hydra or Joraga Warcaller. I prefer Joraga Warcaller because you multikick him a lot of times, and now you just have a bunch of 10/10 (If not extremely higher) elves because of its effect, at one point, I just had like 44 76/76 elf tokens on the field. Use Ezuri's effect for trample. Boom
1 month ago
Thanks for the long and detailed tips, ironcore!
Lots of nicely fitting cards.
I've actually thought about all of these except for Managorger Hydra so far:
- Ooze Flux: Just far too expensive to cast (and activate). I've thought twice about keeping even the singleton Retribution of the Ancients, which does kind of the opposite and costs only one mana each.
- Forced Adaptation: Without a "hexproof strategy", while this does add quite some pressure over time for just one mana, this is far too risky, and also quite slow without Hardened Scales.
- Servant of the Scale: An Arcbound Worker for nonartifact decks isn't bad, but it's not like you want chump blockers when you're playing aggro.I also didn't try him out yet since Skarrgan Pit-Skulk or Experiment One seemed like better choices of green one-drops as they can be threats without having to rely on Hardened Scales. On the flipside however, the servant is quite decent in combination with other cards that add counters on it like Ordeal of Nylea or Quest for the Gemblades, as that will make it a threat that will only get displaced unless it gets exiled.
- Protean Hydra: I think I actually had a singleton in the decklist at one point in time, but then removed it in favor of Hangarback Walker. Despite the Hangarback Walker being a ton of fun in this deck, the Hydra is probably the more reliable choice, and also very advantageous with Oran-Rief (also in terms of using up all mana).
- Managorger Hydra: I've had Taurean Mauler in the deck once, but ended up cutting it so I'd only run one-drops or two-drops. But trample and, again, the Oran-Rief, the Vastwood synergy might make this worth a try. But the three-mana slots are already taken by the proliferate spells (which are like a pseudo-Glorious Anthem or Dictate of Heliod with Hardened Scales - in addition to the Lightning Bolt or Divination effect, so this is a very hard competition it has to hold up against.
- Corpsejack Menace: Fits perfectly in terms of colors and mechanic, 4/4 for four mana is complete decent as well. But four mana is also simply too much for this deck, which tries to keep an agressive, low curve.
If this was a commander deck, I'd have added all of your suggestions, however :D
1 month ago
Almost all Mythic Hydras have had some way to assist in getting damage through to your opponent ('Direct Damage', 'Go Wide', 'Trample', 'Protection', 'Removal'). - Until now.
The exceptions being:
- M10 Protean Hydra, which was dropped in rarity to Rare when printed M11.
- Savageborn Hydra - Also viewed as a bad Mythic, and at least had an offensive ability of Double Strike rather than the defensive Reach.
1 month ago
- Ooze Flux: Get oozes out on instant speed, works well with Hardened Scales.
- Forced Adaptation: Can make any creature become a powerhouse fast especially with Hardened Scales out.
- Servant of the Scale: Nice chump blocker which buffs another creature on death.
- Protean Hydra: This guy can be insane, with a Retribution of the Ancients or Ooze Flux out you can substract counters from him and gain more +1/+1 counters than you substracted.
- Managorger Hydra: Will become a big powerhouse and the trample is nice, works wel with Hardened Scales.
- Corpsejack Menace: Since you splashed black you can get this guy who can double you r +1/+1 counters and is a solid body to boot.
Hope this was usefull, have fun.
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2011 Core Set||Rare|
|2010 Core Set||Mythic Rare|