|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Rare|
|Conflux (CON)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Hydra
Apocalypse Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it. If X is 5 or more, it enters the battlefield with an additional X +1/+1 counters on it.
, Remove a +1/+1 counter from Apocalypse Hydra: Apocalypse Hydra deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||ironax , Halphinian , bakunet , Duct-Tape-Guardian , 7vennum7 , pskinn01 , mymanpotsandpans , Mortiferus_Rosa , ZombieFood , NOGzFTW , voidruby , FoamEagle , darthnuchi|
Apocalypse Hydra Discussion
1 week ago
The reason is, while Savageborn has Doublestrike, if you pay a minimum of 5 mana into X on Apocalypse, he grows twice as big.
So = 10/10
And with his ability to remove a counter and shoot off some damage, that can be useful.
Remember, when you attack / block, damage stays marked on the creature until end of turn. So if your opponent swings with a 4/4 and you block with a 3/3, if you can nail 1 more point of damage to that creature before the turn ends, it will die. I find people often forget that little rule.
1 month ago
I'm glad you liked my suggestions. I have a Omnath deck of my own (haven't uploaded it yet) where I have those cards but I'm reforming it because I can't make it work (that's why I was checking your deck), Omnath is expensive and it takes forever to star rolling even having tons of ramp. For me the problen is the deck being to heavy to move and passing the first turns doing nothing but taking lands out of the library and when I finally get to cast Omnath they kill it and now you have to get to 9 mana. Also I have big problems with flyers, I like your choices of Ulvenwald Hydra, Tornado Elemental and Cloudthresher, I was planning to run them myself.
Keep in mind that every meta is different, what works for me, won't necessarily work in your meta. From your deck I'd cut:
- Apocalypse Hydra I'd cut it because it only synergize with the Elemental Mastery otherwise is another expensive underperforming fatty, you can put the elemental mastery on any of your power 5 creatures and get a good value out of it.
- Golden Guardian Flip from among all the fliplands in IXL and RIX that's probably the one I like the least, you need mana to play and flip it and you also need a big creature of your own to kill it in a fight, when you flip it you create tokens that don't synergize with the deck so I don't really see the point of it in this deck. If you have it because it produces two mana IMO Dowsing Dagger Flip for a total of mana, you can flip it the same turn you play it and you can give the tokens to a player and attack another, on top of that the land produces 3, it's basically a cheaper situational Gilded Lotus
- Frontier Guide to ramp a single land feels awfuly slow and inefficient, I'd rather play any of the CMC4 ramp sorceries.
- Incandescent Soulstoke I don't think you can really win or deal serious damage by cheating a fatty for a turn and then losing it. Best thing you could throw at him is Molimo that depends on your lands, so in early game it's small in late game you can just cast it. The overal number of elementals in the deck is low. maybe something like Elvish Piper, Deathrender, Quicksilver Amulet or Champion of Rhonas instead?
- Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer It's big and it has trample, but CMC7 is too high but I don't think it earns his slot without cheating it onto the battlefield.
- Rubblehulk a cheap molimo without trample and Bloodrush which I guess not playing double strike you won't use that often
- Spawnwrithe if there was a good plan to make this guy and his copies deal combat damage to an opponet I would love it, but he will be lucky if he manages to do it once on his own.
- Mask of Avacyn unless you are protecting a low toughness guy Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves are better at protecting your guys. You can also use Steely Resolve to protect them all at the same time, but haste is king.
- Seer's Lantern This card is terribly weak. You are already ramping like a mad man and if you want artifacts Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo and Sol Ring are better mana boost. For utility you can try Conqueror's Galleon Flip (check if you can have combined power of 4 or greater the turn after consistently before including it).
- Whispersilk Cloak this card is way too subtle, you want to combo off and crush your opponents with your 5/5 elementals or you are going 4th of July and throw sparks everywhere. If you just want protection the boots or the greaves are better cards.
- Animist's Awakening you start the game with 40 lands in a 99 card deck which mean that at best you can only expect to find one land for every mana you spend on the . I say at best because you have many ramp spells that take lands from the library lowering your chances with this spell. Try instead Boundless Realms maybe you want to include more basic lands
- By Force Not a bad card but you may want to swap it for Vandalblast or Into the Core if there are indestructible artifacts in your meta.
- Clear the Land aren't there any more decent ramp spels with CMC3? find one that at leas don't give lands to your opponents Realms Uncharted don't ramp you but it will put lands in hand and graveyad, and not just basics.
- Creeping Renaissance I want to like this card, but every time I tryed it, it underperformed. In this deck you have few permanents of a single type except for lands and you don't dredge yourself to put stuff in your graveyard. You do have a lot of lands, but to get those lands better use Splendid Reclamation, World Shaper, Ramunap Excavator or Life from the Loam. For a big, more flexible recursion spell I like Seasons Past
- Growth Spasm replace for Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate. they are commander staples for a reason.
- Mizzium Mortars replace for Blasphemous Act kills your creatures but you can be sure that it will kill almost everything and with discount
- Pirate's Pillage allows you to cast Omnath on your 5th land but still i'd swap it for Harmonize another green EDH staple.
- Primal Growth good card but you won't have disposable creatures on your early game and as a late game card is weak. As I told you before Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate (whichever you didnt used before).
- Search for Tomorrow another good card that will perform better in other decks that really need to get to four mana ASAP, IMO some beefy ramp spell would be better for Omnath. Another one I like in this deck is Khalni Heart Expedition
- Evolutionary Leap swap for Ashnod's Altar, you want your sac outlets to be activated without mana and without tapping. Your opponents will probably start worrying as soon as the see this card as it is often used for infinite combos.
- Fires of Yavimaya for Anger. Mainly because you can cast it and put it on the battlefield to block in the early game and later you get the haste bonus. other good options for this end in this deck Ogre Battledriver and In the Web of War, same effect different formats.
- Rite of the Raging Storm I ended up removing this enchantment from the deck because it is slow and don't help me with my defense, it's for more aggressive decks. The elemental that pops and sacrifices is nice when you have the commander, but It doesent justify the 5 manas.
What I'm still missing in the deck.
- Buffs to your creatures Beastmaster Ascension, Forgotten Ancient
- Rampaging Baloths not elemental but those 4/4 bodies will prove useful later to get us some cards and defense
- More recursion Greenwarden of Murasa is a solid creature. The second much worse option is Paleoloth I've tried before in other decks but maybe it can be good with Omnath's tokens.
- Spitebellows Perfect in this deck
- Decimate simply an orgasm every time you cast it. The catch of this card is that you need to be able to target a different permanent of each type, but that is not a problem in multyplayer
- More defense from flyers, I run this funny card Chaosphere, some other cards I'm considering are Spidersilk Armor, Katabatic Winds, Silklash Spider, Sandwurm Convergence.
- Scour from Existence because with red and green you will have trouble with high toughness creatures and/or indestructibles. I'ts a high mana instant but it will resolve any problem you have
- Parallel Lives Because at the end of the day it is a token deck
- Traverse the Outlands a kick ass ramp spell if you manage to ramp four lands or more.
- Heroic Intervention the ultimate shielding card.
- Mana multiplication Mana Reflection, Zendikar Resurgent, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger this one is a bit to hard top lay if you don't cheat it into the battlefield. The low cost option has the problem of helping your opponents too Keeper of Progenitus
- Much more card draw Drumhunter, Mouth / Feed, Shamanic Revelation, Garruk's Packleader.
- Synergy with instant/sorceris Young Pyromancer, Primal Amulet Flip?
- Wayward Swordtooth?
For me the problem with this deck is you need to so many card slots and turns ramping that you don't do much more. It is quite spectacular when you manage to combo off, but it feels a bit like a one trick pony. so that is why I'm tinkering with my Omnath deck trying to find balance for my meta.
Good luck with your deck, I hope I have been of some help.
1 month ago
Sismir Oooo, I like where you're going with that. I'll definitely maybeboard those. I like the idea of using Elemental Mastery andApocalypse Hydra together, creating too many 1/1 elementals to block all at once, and Omnath, Locus of Rage punishing those who try to block even a few. Thanks!!
2 months ago
OK first I want to point out the exclusions, cards I don't think fit
Borborygmos Enraged, he isn't a very good card unless you build around him. If you build around him a lil bit you will need cards like Snake Umbra, Keen Sense, and cards to combo with that like Skyship Weatherlight or Abundance to combo off so you draw lands over and over again. Otherwise he is over costed and not very good.
Majestic Myriarch is not a very strong card because of its huge downside. The card needs a team of creatures with him or her to be good. If your gonna keep this card you'll need to build a bit of a token deck to make it worth keeping. With cards like. Dragonlair Spider, Wolfcaller's Howl, Wolfbriar Elemental, Verdant Force, Tempt with Vengeance, Symbiotic Wurm, Sylvan Offering, Hornet Queen, Feed the Pack, Dragon Broodmother, Artifact Mutation, Arachnogenesis, and Ant Queen. These are also all good card suggestions.
Gruul Signet, Gruul Keyrune, and Darksteel Ingot I'd take out for land ramp. The kinds that add them to your hand and or play. Cards like Kodama's Reach (you have in the deck all ready). Seek the Horizon, Journey of Discovery you also might like Harvest Season, Evolution Charm is great too.
3 months ago
Since you only have red for your Apocalypse Hydra, you could take it out and the mountains and instead play Walking Ballista. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it since you can ping stuff down and funnel your leftover mana into it's pump ability. Other than that i would take out the Howling Mine(s). It's a good card, but you help your opponent more than yourself, and since the meta-game is control and tron, they want the extra card. Other than that it looks really cool, keep up the good work!
3 months ago
with the Prophetic Prism, you have many more ways to go with it then just with a mana producer. for example, the Worn Powerstone can do quite well at giving you more mana to work with, but it enters tapped making it so the mana cant be used as soon as it enters. next, theres the problem with needing and as soon as possible. if you get a hand with only islands, the Prism is good at filtering into red. lastly, when using the Retraction Helix combo, you will be drawing cards every time you play it. this gives you a large advantage when you can draw your entire deck and play everything since you will be able to filter the mana into certain colors. you could possibly add in 1 of Blaze as a second win con.
you may even go as far as to use the Prophetic Prism as a way to play cards out of your main colors. possibly a 1 of Approach of the Second Sun. this is a win con, and with the prism drawing you cards, you can continue to draw until you draw into it again, then all this infinite mana can be used for something. or possibly you may add in a large creature no one would suspect thats in a different color. maybe even Apocalypse Hydra. i bet your play group would be surprised seeing this come out with over 30 counters on it, just to see it ping them for 1 damage over and over.
anyways, this is just my opinion on this. sorry for any rambling or parts where its confusing to read. i love the Aetherflux Reservoir so i'm gonna try what i cna to help haha
3 months ago
3 months ago
I have a fun multiplayer animar deck with the following interactive pieces:
Brutalizer Exarch, Duplicant, Man-o'-War, Oblivion Sower, Phyrexian Ingester, Reclamation Sage, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Tidespout Tyrant, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, Venser, Shaper Savant, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, Walking Ballista and also Cyclonic Rift and a few Counterspell's
Others you could include are Draining Whelk, Mystic Snake, Ainok Survivalist, Indrik Stomphowler, Woodfall Primus, Bane of Progress, Inferno Titan, Flametongue Kavu, Apocalypse Hydra, Equilibrium, Dwarven Blastminer, Goblin Settler, Goblin Ruinblaster, etc etc