Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
Tap an untapped legendary permanent you control: Untap Honor-Worn Shaku.
Printings View all
|Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Honor-Worn Shaku Discussion
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Fanatic of Mogis - I've found him to be lackluster, what has your experience been with it, do you usually have enough devotion to make him meaningful?
Pia and Kiran Nalaar - Similar to above, but I see you have another theme of tokens and damage dealing ETB enchantments/cards. I just find the activated ability to expensive and slow. I would always rather play something from my hand.
Deflecting Swat - Such an amazing card, but if only Norin could stay. What has your experience been with it in Norin, I'm very tempted to slot one in.
Sculpting Steel - Same question as above?
What is your meta comprised of, power level?
Darksteel Citadel - What is the purpose of this, stealing an artifact with confusion?
Roiling Vortex - Meta call?
Cloudstone Curio - Experience with this card, ups and downs?
It feels you suffer from red's lack of card draw, to be addressed in suggestions below. You have virtual card advantage through looting, but little card advantage aside from wheels and a little others.
Tome of Legends - Best card for Norin ever printed. Don't sleep on this
Endless Atlas - Almost as good as above
Mind's Eye/Memory Jar - Top of the curve for draw but can help you out when you need then late game. Mind's eye is especially fun with wheels and Honor-Worn Shaku, as you use shaku + norin and mind's eye to draw during each opponents draw step.
Blast Zone - Speaking of red's weakness, this can work as enchantment removal.
I think you should cut some of the less impactful non basics and add more basics. This will fuel valakut and will help you with extraplanar lens - which itself is a very risky card.
A cool combo (not a serious suggestion but funny to note) is Ugin, the Ineffable + Top + Experimental Frenzy = Draw your whole deck. Each piece is good on it's own (maybe even frenzy in this deck given your lack of card draw?) and Ugin works as both card draw and enchantment removal.
Heat Shimmer + Dualcaster = Infinite Hasty Dualcasters, each piece is good on it's own. There are 1-2 other cards that work with dualcaster as well but escape me at the moment.
Light Up the Stage - With all your damage dealing, this is easy to cast, works well with top too, allowing you to knowingly be able to cast a card rather than risk it in exile.
Ignite the Future - Similar to above but flashback payoff has won me games.
Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics. I recently had 2 games in a row in a 3 man pod where me and opponent #2 both cast this on opponent #3 on Turn 1. Very fun
Outpost Siege - Draw when you need it, damage when you don't, primarily used for draw in my experience
1 month ago
Fiery Emancipation > Other damage doubler. Costs more but non symmetrical and does a lot more damage.
Buried Ruin - Recur 1/5th of your deck
Inventors' Fair - Tutor, lifegain
Myriad Landscape - While a bit slow, ramp is needed in red, worth considering
Strip Mine - Interaction on cradle, coffers, field, etc...
Blast Zone - Interaction on enchantments and others
Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics. Attack them with Norin, then Norin runs away and comes back with treasure :D
Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage - "Draw" which you can use until your next turn, really good with Top as you can look at your top 3 or more importantly, use top to draw a card and then you know you can cast top easily.
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Ramp, draw, removal and a wincon all in 1
Endless Atlas - Draw
Honor-Worn Shaku - Ramp with Norin, purphorous, chandra, etc...
Skullclamp - Draw
Lmk what you think of each suggestion and if you want ideas for cuts :)
2 months ago
I like the creature package you have here, all very nice additions/compliments to Kalamax. The suggestions I have are just card upgrades, not sure if you are aiming for a budget but maybe consider these cards for the future.
Smelt isnt too bad, but I think you are lacking ways to protect your commander. Spell Pierce would fit nicely in this slot and is a bit more versatile than Smelt imo. Slice in Twain is kinda meh here. It doesn't give you a good enough payoff for the mana cost. Force of Vigor is a huge upgrade in this slot as it can wipe out 4 artifacts/enchantments for free. I also think you should run more ways to tap Kalamax. Survivors' Encampment is a nice one that can easily fit into your land base for something that comes into play tapped. A personal favorite of mine is Honor-Worn Shaku, I don't see many people running that one. A nice "surprise, I win card" is Berserk. Slap that on an attacking Kalamax at an opportune time and someone is out of the game. Consider that over Lightning Axe. Its much more efficient in this deck, but it still costs you two cards and it doesn't guarantee to kill two creatures. If Berserk isn't your thing, maybe consider Chaos Warp in this slot, it can deal with any problem on the board. +1, Cheers!
2 months ago
Thank you so much for your comment Profet93! Super helpful :)
Your first point about lowering land counts and dropping Molten Vortex for a few draw engine sounds like a superb idea!
A lot of cool sugestions will give you my thoughts about them!
- Endless Atlas A great one, that I even have a copy of, I see no reason not to add it :)
- Hedron Archive Not sure sure about this one, it seems a bit expensive at 4 mana. It looks like it would be more used as ramp than draw no?
- Humble Defector This sounds like a fun one! Can even steal it back with Confusion in the Ranks even without Homeward Path (which have some anti-synergy with Confusion). Will definitely pick it up.
- Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage are very interesting cards, but I would be afraid not to be able to cast what ever I exile or for it to be lands, would need access to at least 8 mana to be able to cast it, feels a bit too slow. Not super sold on these two :)
- Mind's Eye Expensive as you say but will be worth it if the game will drag on, will be looking to picking this one up together with the Honor-Worn Shaku
- Solemn Simulacrum have a few of these laying around, not sure why I never put one it. Will do it until I find something to replace it with. :)
- Wheel of Fortune/Wheel of Fate/Reforge the Soul/Magus of the Wheel, of Fortune is not within my price range, it is almost as much as the rest of the deck combined. I might pick the Magus of the Wheel however as a cheap alternative.
- Curse of Opulence Such a evil card! A lot of my group either play decks that benefit a lot from ramp or who need a lot of mana. So I fear this would help them more than me, I will definitely put it on my list to pick it up if I see one cheap though. Cause I do want to try it.
- Dockside Extortionist Strong card! But unfortunately a bit to expensive, will put it on my "buy on a bargain" list though!
- Mind Stone will put in this one, like it more than the Hedron Archive as you can drop it a lot faster.
- Ruby Medallion Neat, will be looking to picking one up
- Sword of the Animist That's true! It basically reads "Pay 2, Put a land from your library into the battlefield tapped", will be looking to adding this one too for sure!
- Tough one, $15 is about what I am prepared to put down on a single card, if it isn't a win con or simply a "must have", I wouldn't say this is either but it is strong and versatile so will probably pick it up if I can.
- Etali, Primal Storm Aww, I just bought this guy for my Xenagos' Dudes goes Face deck where he can get instant value, maybe I should have picked up two of them. My fear here is that it's can be a bit too slow to have to wait another turn to be able to attack with it.
- Sunbird's Invocation Insane card. At the point I can put this down the game is either over or would be over in a few turns. Most of the cards in the deck needs a few turns to actually do something so even though this card is insane it might be too late?
- Sensei's Divining Top Love this card so much, but unfortunately a bit too expensive. It's on the "Get it on a bargain" list :)
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle It's also a bit too much to put on a card that is only going to ping for 3. If I had a few more ways to put out lands each turn it could be worth the 20$
- Chain Reaction Good idea, will replace it when I find one
- Nevinyrral's Disk Will be looking to pick one up!
- Blast Zone Looks to be a bit slow? Will pick one up anyhow and test run it
- Terror of the Peaks Yeah, wanted this in Norin as soon as I saw it. It have been dropping in price in my local market so will be looking to picking a couple up for my decks soon.
Again thank you so much for your comment, it have been super helpful.
I am super interested in hearing your thoughts about cuts to the deck. Like what you think is too weak or doesn't fit. :)
2 months ago
Why isn't Norin listed as your commander? In any case, I have a couple ideas...
Molten Vortex - I get the concept behind this card with your high land count, but rather hope to draw this card as you are flooding your deck with a high land count and less draw, why not increase your draw and lower your land count a bit? This way, you are less reliant upon top decking and card find an easier time to maintain gas in the mid-late game. Draw ideas are as follows...
Endless Atlas - Comes down early, cheap to use, only 2nd to tome of legends but very worthwhile nevertheless
Hedron Archive - Acts as ramp when you need it and card draw when you don't. Pretty useful
Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage - Unlike cathartic reunion which provides virtual card advantage by giving you a better choice of cards, ignite the future provides actual card advantage. Plus, flashing it back is nice when you have ran out of gas. Light up the stage is nice, especially in your build which focuses on little damage accumulating since it can be played even cheaper. Both are highly recommended.
Mind's Eye -While expensive to cast, helps ensure gas in mid-late game. Goes well with Honor-Worn Shaku which should also be added as a strictly better wornpowerstone in this deck, because with Norin + Eye + Shaku, you can tap Norin each upkeep to untap Shake and use it to fuel mind's eye for card draw. Not to mention tapping down purphorous and your planeswalker to ramp feels good too
Solemn Simulacrum - Not necessary but a good staple in most mono red/white builds given it provides you with what you need, card draw and ramp.
Now that we have discussed card draw, it is time to help you ramp out your goals more quickly....
Curse of Opulence - Politics, and ramp with Norin that can start as early as T3. Very helpful. Don't forget, you can use the treasure tokens it makes with goblin welder to bring back an artifact!
Dockside Extortionist - Comes down early, makes lots of mana, very powerful card especially in the right meta. Highly recommended.
Mind Stone - Ramp when you need it, card draw when you don't. Its a baby hedron archive
Ruby Medallion - Ramp, plain and simple
Sword of the Animist - Imagine Norin with the sword attacking and then running away to get a land. Very fun!
There is more ramp but this should be a decent help given your CMC is low enough already despite the chaos cards, especially for a Norin build! Kudos to that! Now let's discuss some utility...
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Ramp, removal, draw and wincon all in 1. Don't sleep on this card
Etali, Primal Storm - What chaos deck doesn't love the chaos dino? It can be a wincon on its own!
Sunbird's Invocation - This card reads, if you don't destroy me, I win in the next few turns. The amount of value this card brings is insane
Sensei's Divining Top - Top deck filter and a rare draw when you need to dig a little deeper.
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle - Highly recommended with all of your mountains
Lastly we should discuss removal....
Chain Reaction > Storm's Wrath - There are usually many creatures in EDH and this just destroys them all instead of the weaker ones.
Nevinyrral's Disk - I see no way for you to deal with enchantments, having one reset button is crucial in case things get out of hand.
Blast Zone - Another option to deal with enchantments or pesky permanents that fits its way into the land base
Terror of the Peaks - Newest addition to any Norin deck. Synergy and power blended together at a fair CMC.
I have other suggestions and ideas for cuts should you wish. Be sure to let me know what you think of each suggestion. Looking forward to your response.
3 months ago
Arachnogenesis, Sublime Epiphany, Honor-Worn Shaku, Chromatic Lantern, Heroic Intervention, Lazotep Plating, Manamorphose, Bounty of Might, Search for Azcanta Flip, Spark Double, Izzet Charm, Veil of Summer, Smuggler's Copter