|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Common|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Destroy target artifact.
Draw a card.
1 year ago
Cool burn deck!
Here are a few ideas.
Hope this helps!
1 year ago
Are both cheap decks that have really fun strategies
1 year ago
Here are some suggestions, in no particular order:
- Cathartic Reunion
- Wild Guess
- Angelic Purge
- Oblivion Ring
- Journey to Nowhere
- Raid Bombardment
- Swirling Sandstorm
- Judge Unworthy
- Marshaling Cry
- Basilica Guards
- Aura Blast
- Needle Drop
The cantrips shouldn't necessarily go into the deck but I think they're good value for being so cheap to cast. I'll post some more when I think of them
2 years ago
I like Urborg, but unless youre needing a lot of black mana or benefit from swamps for some reason (swampwalk and Cabal Coffers come to mind) then the budget could be better spent elsewhere. Having your tainted lands function as duals is a nice upside though.
I see what you mean with Oona's Blackguard and your guys not getting through. Its the challenge for any midrange/aggro deck in this format. I like the Nightblade for the same reason, your guys become much more difficult to block, so they get through more. Hmm...
As far as dealing with those artifact and enchantments, the best solution Grixis has for them is bounce. I like stuff like Dinrova Horror. There are lots of red Manic Vandal effects that you could use to Smash artifacts, or you could just Clone their etb effect guys that blow up enchantments, but thats not super reliable, even if thats a common enough strategy lol.
2 years ago
Would Aetherflux Reservoir be another good win condition?
Dragonstorm; are the 3 dragons in your deck that important for you to be able to win? Otherwise I'd say that's an easy cut.
I think adding more counterspells to help protect yourself would be a good idea. Counterflux in particular.
2 years ago
I would cut Artificer's Epiphany, Bone to Ash, Chandra's Fury, Cunning Strike, Scatter Arc, Smash, Amass the Components, Blood Feud, Bolt of Keranos, Drag Under, Metallic Mastery, and Portent of Betrayal.
2 years ago
Despite the card text on Culling the Weak, the official text (visible on the Gatherer) reads thus in part: "As an additional cost to cast Culling the Weak, sacrifice a creature." which is similar to Tormenting Voice's "As an additional cost to cast Tormenting Voice, discard a card." Both are part of the cost. Clarifications on what constitutes part of the additional cost is one of the things that has changed a lot over the years on card texts.
Transmute Artifact on the other hand has a sacrifice as part of the effect (note: Tappedout currently shows a printing from MTGO that does claim it is a cost, but the official text disagrees). The Gatherer text begins with "Sacrifice an artifact. If you do, [...]" Because it's not part of the cost, if an opponent had only one artifact, you could Smash it in response to them casting it and limit the effectiveness of the spell. Transmute Artifact doesn't target though, so if they have more than one artifact, you'll have to make a best guess which would do the most damage if you want to try to interfere with Smash; they'll still get to sacrifice something from their available artifacts and you won't know what it might be.
These kinds of spells that don't use the sacrifice as part of the cost are generally older though - nowadays most spells with this kind of concept will usually phrase things as a cost.
2 years ago
- Quest for Pure Flame (building it up is really easy and busting it makes Purphoros even scarier for a turn)
- Firecat Blitz (cast it the first time to take someone out an flashback it to end the rest of the table)
- Elemental Appeal (9 mana for 14 damage after someone has cleared the board isn't too shabby)
- Grinning Ignus<- please add this ( + to get it started, for each time you want to do it again and you have a neat mana dump for Purphoros)
- Emrakul's Hatcher (nets you 4 creatures and mana refund)
- Skittering Invasion (same idea, with Purphoros out it's a neat 10 damage spell that offers mana refund)
- Orochi Hatchery (dump some mana in it and you are good to go)
- Trading Post for the goats mostly
- Spawning Pit recycling tokens is good for the environment.
- Portcullis locks the battlefield with 2 creatures total (note that it still allows ETBs to happen before exiling the cards, so it basically works as a shell until someone destroys it... and you get the ETBs once more)
Clear a board
- Magmaquake (boardwipe at instant speed... requires a lot of mana, but it shouldn't be too hard)
- Sudden Demise (allows you to get rid of those pesky hexproof shenanigans)
- Boompile (unreliable? Yes. But scary nevertheless. Might stop/slow down people from building up a mighty boardstate)
- Dormant Volcano (neat artwork, nice effect)
- Khalni Gem allows you to replay 2 lands (consider it a 2 mana investment since it costs 4, but gives 2 back immediately)
- Burnished Hart is underrated.
- Choose three: Hedron Archive, Commander's Sphere, Mind Stone, Worn Powerstone, Sol Ring
- Hoarding Dragon (4/4 flying for isn't bad. And if/when it dies you get the treasure)
- Staff of Nin (an old favorite of mine and allows you to ping some damage)
- Avaricious Dragon (just don't cast it when you have a full hand and you should be fine with a 4cmc 4/4 flyer and some extra draw)
- Loreseeker's Stone (drawing 3 for ~ is quite good)
What I don't like/What to cut
- Dragon Mage
- Goblin Chirurgeon (you'd be better off with a
- Goblin Sharpshooter
- Goblin Warchief (cost reduction part is fine, but he isn't all that useful otherwise)
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser (i don't see you dealing with combat damage all that much)
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is great, really, not indispensable for its price.
- Knollspine Dragon (IMO it's a terrible card for its mana cost and effect... and 4+USD? WTF)
- Magus of the Wheel
- Lightning Crafter
- Warchief Giant (yes, myriad is great, but he's so fragile...)
- Anger of the Gods (great card... in other formats)
- Mana Geyser (temporary mana isn't that good unless you have some place to dump it...)
- Goblin Bombardment isn't good enough
- Possibility Storm (? Is it there just as a disruption tool?)
- Battle Hymn (same thing as mana geyser. Even worse considering it depends on you having at least 3 creatures to generate any mana)
- Seething Song
- Smash to Smithereens (the damage is neglectable IMO. I'd rather go with Smash simply because it draws you a card back)
- Elixir of Immortality (is this even necessary here?)
- Vedalken Orrery also not needed IMO
No data for this card yet.