Creature — Elemental Shaman
Tap: Target player discards a card. Play this ability only during your turn.
Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch: Untap Cinderhaze Wretch.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Cinderhaze Wretch Discussion
1 week ago
Hey man! Glad you read it. Your justifications seem fine. I still feel that the planewalkers are fairly dead - at least switch your garruk for the good one (Garruk Wildspeaker.
Cinderhaze Wretch seems fine for the slot. I have a lot more experience with Sadistic Hypnotist and at first glance this deck looks like it would benefit from it more, but hey - you've played the deck so you'd clearly know firsthand which of the two fits better in the slot.
As for Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, I really don't love the mana inefficiency - a conditional 7 mana to kill one land doesn't really get me going. That said, if you're in a competitive meta where you really need to snipe lands frequently, I'm sure he's fine.
If you don't find yourself needing to snipe lands all too frequently I think a more fitting answer for his slot would be a simple Sylvan Scrying. It can tutor out a Strip Mine in a pinch - letting you snipe something for 2 mana and a land drop. That said, it can also do a lot of other things. It can set you ahead by fetching a Cabal Coffers or your Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. It can fetch your Bojuka Bog if you need to bog the karador player. A bit more all purpose.
Your points about land are very valid. I read competitive in the deck title and figured it was worth mentioning. Mostly those are for online.
Hoping you find these helpful. And at the end of the day, this is just my eye. I haven't played the deck so I really don't know how it feels haha. I'm actually just looking for input myself.
1 week ago
cityflower, thanks a lot for the suggestions!
As for Cinderhaze Wretch, he can do a lot of the same things Devoted Druid does in this deck and easily go infinite.
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa snipes lands, which is great at getting rid of things like Academy Ruins or just color-screwing an opponent, or for something to actually do with the infinite mana this deck can generate for infinite damage.
I do like a lot of the suggestions though and will definitely go for putting some of them in, though would love to hear your opinions on why I justify some of these cards.
1 week ago
I think you have enough synnergistic things in here. You want more draw/get there cards. I'd suggest replacing the cheesy/unlikely combos (ie Tree) with things like Vampiric Tutor, Sylvan Library, Mirri's Guile, Nature's Lore, Skyshroud Claim, Phyrexian Altar etc.
Here are some (in my opinion) strict upgrades:
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa --> one of the above suggestions
Harmonize --> There are much better of these two, and I think you have enough effects that do these two.
Other than that, I like it a lot. You have a good shell here. Make sure you know your game plan - you're playing a very midgame board state reliant stax/control deck, where you can basically control what's on the board. You have a lot of awesome early game that transitions well into the mid/late. You have a handful of wonderful outs late game.
I might throw in an Exsanguinate as a really awesome finisher. If you're unafraid of countermagic/have a Boseiju, Who Shelters All untapped - you can sac your entire board into ashnod's and just blow up the game with exsanguinate.
1 week ago
-1/-1 Counter Ideas:
- Blight Mamba (Snek!)
- Blight Sickle
- Cinderhaze Wretch (Combos with Melira)
- Core Prowler
- Deity of Scars
- Grafted Exoskeleton
- Grim Poppet (so good)
- Harbinger of Night (also amazing)
- Incremental Blight
- Lockjaw Snapper
- Melira, Sylvok Outcast (Must have!!!!)
- Phyrexian Hydra
- Rendclaw Trow
- Ruthless Sniper (if going in the Archfiend of Ifnir/Cycling direction...)
- Serrated Arrows
- Serrated Biskelion
- Shambling Swarm
- Stinging Shot (Good with Archfiend...)
- Viridian Corrupter
- Garruk Wildspeaker
Random Good Stuff:
- Coat of Arms (Snake? Snake?!? SNAAAAAAKE!!!!)
- Patron of the Orochi (...)
- Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
- Seshiro the Anointed
- Shisato, Whispering Hunter
- Sosuke, Son of Seshiro
- Withering Boon
1 month ago
Bane of Progress, Puppeteer Clique, Fecundity, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, Skinrender, Cauldron of Souls, Triumph of the Hordes, Creakwood Liege, Awakening Zone, Phyrexian Arena, Contagion Engine, Eldrazi Monument, Harbinger of Night, Cinderhaze Wretch, Nullmage Shepherd, Song of the Dryads
4 months ago
Using Cinderhaze Wretch as a backup untap effect is an excellent idea. I've just updated my list to include Aether Revolt cards (Walking Ballista was great at FNM last Friday by the way), so I'll throw a Cinderhaze Wretch in as well to see how it plays.
7 months ago
Hi, I'm trying to make ooze work as well, the hard part is that it's much slower than the faster decks of the format (I mean if dredge play turn one Cathartic Reunion almost no deck can survive at the moment). I wanted to share my list with you since it's slightly different.
- 4 Verdant Catacombs
- 4 Overgrown Tomb
- 2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- 4 Temple of Malady (it's a pretty good turn 1 and this list had no other play t1 anyways)
- 1 Cavern of Souls (I admit it's much better in your list with traverse)
- 4 Forest
- 4 Necrotic Ooze
- 4 Quillspike
- 4 Devoted Druid
- 4 Fauna Shaman (i read you don't like it x4 but heh...)
- 1 Shriekmaw
- 1 Eternal Witness
- 1 Thornling (haste indestructibility and trample, also some decks can't deal with it)
- 1 Sakura-Tribe Elder (early blocking/fixing against aggro and can be used when they path ooze)
- 1 Lotleth Troll
- 1 Grim Poppet
- 1 Butcher of the Horde (free haste on ooze by sacrificing a combo piece which is game instantly)
- 1 Molten-Tail Masticore (regen is meh, but 4 damage for each exiled creature means you don't need to deal with ensnaring bridge and can win instantly anytime with fauna shaman devoted druid and quillspike in the graveyard)
- 1 Prognostic Sphinx (hexproof and discard combo pieces for free)
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob (for grindy games)
- 1 Collective Brutality
- 2 Makeshift Mannequin (instant ooze into instant win, the sacrifice when triggered part doesn't happen using your own abilities as none of them actually trigger ooze!)
- 1 Abrupt Decay
- 3 Grisly Salvage
- 1 Big Game Hunter (eldrazi, and nice with the self discard in the deck)
- 2 Reclamation Sage (I like that you can fetch them with the fauna shaman)
- 1 Vampire Hexmage (mainly for planewalkers)
- 1 Scavenging Ooze
- 2 Kitchen Finks
- 1 Gnaw to the Bone
- 2 Fulminator Mage (mostly for tron, I actually fantasize about T1 bird, T2 fulminator, t3 ooze but it's another deck)
- 2 Ravenous Trap
- 2 Eternal Witness
- 1 Cinderhaze Wretch (if you're scared they'll extirpate devoted druid you have a backup plan, also when you go off you can make them discard their entire hand just because you can, you should almost never cast this)
- 1 Darkblast
I really like Traverse the Ulvenwald in your list though, I definitely have to try it out. (and it gives me a turn 1 play). I'd also love to play more hand disruption but I'm not sure what to remove (Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek and Harsh Scrutiny would be good before going off and it can even help to discard combo pieces in your own hand)
9 months ago
It's Kokusho fyi. :P
But anyways, I feel like Reanimation is the way to go with Kokusho. Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed is a great card for just that. Reanimate, Diabolic Servitude, Volrath's Stronghold, Sheoldred, Whispering One, and Dread Return are great for that.
Dawn of the Dead can let you sac Kokusho every turn. You just need something like Phyrexian Tower or High Market to sacrifice him to. Mikaeus, the Unhallowed can be good with your commander, as can Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip.
I would consider other strong ETB creatures for mono black. You're going to want Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Grave Titan, Fleshbag Marauder, Merciless Executioner, Rune-Scarred Demon, and Solemn Simulacrum.
As far as cards to remove, I'd drop down to about 35 to 38 lands, and replace swamps with the non-basics I suggested (and any others you think might be good). I'd drop Duress, Lingering Torment, Black Knight, Cinderhaze Wretch, and Grasp of Darkness. The other discard spells you have are decent, but you might want to look at limiting how many you're running.