: Add to your mana pool. ( represents colourless mana.)
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Holdout Settlement occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Holdout Settlement Discussion
22 hours ago
Hey, nice budget version of Kalamax. Several good upgrades you've made to the precon.
Chord of Calling with Kalamax to tutor for Pili + Architect for infinite mana is interesting. Consider more ways to draw into a win condition when you have infinite mana? Without the draw making infinite mana with Pili + Architect or with Scepter + Reversal doesn't do enough. Expansion / Explosion is another instant Fork or Explosion with infinite mana can draw a lot of cards. Pull from Tomorrow and Blue Sun's Zenith are other instants that draw X cards.
Nivix Guildmage with infinite mana can draw into your deck until you find a win condition as well as counters to protect the combo. Guildmage with infinite mana can also infinite copy an instant/sorcery you cast which can make Banefire a win condition since you can copy it for each opponent and target a different opponent with each copy. If you can some how get a third copy of Chord when you cast it then you can also tutor for Guildmage.
Some lands in the manabase could be upgraded. Life lands from the precon and Scry temple lands are not worth ETB tapped. Survivors' Encampment and Holdout Settlement are unique lands with Kalamax because they're repeatable ways to tap him. These lands are like Springleaf Drum, they make mana when you use them to tap Kalamax or another creature. But unlike Drum you can tutor for and put onto the battlefield with Crop Rotation. Having more ways to tap Kalamax without attacking while also making mana is beneficial.
Some other good lands that are reasonable price to consider adding are: Rootbound Crag and Shivan Reef. The Filter lands: Cascade Bluffs, Flooded Grove and Fire-Lit Thicket are at lowest price due to just being reprinted in Double Masters. Can get these lands for as low as $5 each. Bluffs is helpful since it can make or , important color combinations to want to consistently make to cast instants for Kalamax.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Rugged Highlands
- Thornwood Falls
- Swiftwater Cliffs
- Temple of Mystery
- Aggressive Mammoth
- Charmbreaker Devils
- Djinn Illuminatus
- Refuse / Cooperate
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
Hey, on a budget something that the precon lacks are ways to tap Kalamax. Attacking is the best way to tap Kalamax, but if you can't attack then you want to be able to tap Kalamax other ways.
- Springleaf Drum
- Holdout Settlement
- Survivors' Encampment
- Cultivator's Caravan: crew can tap Kalamax.
These cards can make mana that gives them other uses then just tapping Kalamax. Settlement/Encampment are nice because they're lands, they don't use valuable spots in the deck and Crop Rotation can search for one of them.
You've already added Reverberate for a Fork effect which is great, but the other piece of the combo is Ral, Storm Conduit which is the win condition when you make the copy Reverberate loop with Kalamax. Even without the Fork combo, Ral is a good card because he too can be a repeatable source to copy an instant or even a sorcery you cast. Expansion / Explosion, Increasing Vengeance and Insidious Will are other budget instant Forks.
Your own sorceries are very good with Fork effects and tapped Kalamax. This combination lets you resolve three copies of a sorcery (original and two copies of it). If you have three opponents then Gravitic Punch can be a win condition with a Fork and an infinite power Kalamax. The jumpstart lets you cast it again if that is needed. Reclaim and Regrowth are helpful to recur cards especially a Fork or draw spell, but they can also recur a creature.
Return of the Wildspeaker modes are good with Kalamax. The first one can draw a lot of cards with a high power Kalamax and the second can give all nonHuman creatures +6/+6. This second mode can be a potential win condition with cards that can create tokens such as Talrand, Murmuring, Xyris, Young Pyromancer and Saheeli, Sublime Artificer.
Capsize can be powerful with Kalamax. For five mana cast it with buyback, bounce any two permanents and then return it to your hand.
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Yeah dude, good job, I have a really similiar list to yours.
2 months ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
2 months ago
Hey, it's crazy that the precon is still worth about $100 when you can get it for $40 from Target or Walmart. I'm not sure of the budget you have to make upgrades, but here are some budget cards to consider adding. These cards are good with Kalamax no matter the main strategy you want to upgrade the precon with.
Wizards didn't include the the copy spell combo in the precon and for good reason as it would make this precon much better out of box than the others. Putting infinite +1/+1 counters on Kalamax at instant speed just by copying an opponents instant or sorcery or your own is busted. Have Ral on the battlefield before you do this to just win the game.
These cards can tap Kalamax to make mana letting you keep Kalamax back on defense and then tap it to trigger it on your opponents turn. Kalamax can tap itself by attacking, but sometimes you don't want to attack or can't attack so having others ways to tap it is helpful. Being able to tap Kalamax the turn you play it if you can't attack to then cast an instant on an opponents turn is nice. Being able to tap Kalamax at instant speed is also needed if you want to copy your own instant to put infinite counters on Kalamax/win with Ral.
In the precon Wolfrun is really the only way to give Kalamax repeatable evasion and Crop can tutor for it making it the better option, but having another way can be beneficial. Hadana's Climb Flip more specifically Winged Temple of Orazca is a good repeatable effect since for three mana you can double Kalamax's power/toughness and give it flying. Climb will most likely flip the turn you play it when you target Kalamax.
Pull from Tomorrow is an instant mass draw spell. I'll stop now.
2 months ago
3 months ago
Nitpicking - IN! (41 cards) Goblin Electromancer God-Eternal Kefnet Guttersnipe Niv-Mizzet, Parun Wavebreak Hippocamp Ral, Storm Conduit Ancient Grudge Arcane Denial Commit / Memory Conqueror's Galleon Flip Cultivator's Caravan Electrodominance Expansion / Explosion Expedite Fact or Fiction Fire / Ice Foil Fury Storm Impulse Krosan Grip Mizzix's Mastery Mystic Confluence Nature's Claim Peek Primal Amulet Flip Radical Idea Rapid Hybridization Snap Springleaf Drum Stubborn Denial Thaumatic Compass Flip Thousand-Year Storm Game Trail Holdout Settlement Mountain Valley Reliquary Tower Rogue's Passage Sheltered Thicket Survivors' Encampment Temple of Abandon Temple of Mystery
3 months ago
MTGGoldfish - In! (29 cards) Rampant Growth Farseek Sakura-Tribe Elder Search for Tomorrow Expansion / Explosion Thassa's Intervention Young Pyromancer Reverberate Ral, Storm Conduit Increasing Vengeance Pull from Tomorrow Fact or Fiction Reality Shift Snap Springleaf Drum Thrill of Possibility Spell Pierce Wavebreak Hippocamp Once and Future Submerge Nature's Claim Narset's Reversal Return to Nature Magmaquake Forest Opt Saheeli, Sublime Artificer Survivors' Encampment Holdout Settlement