|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Druid
Creatures you control have "Tap: Add (Green) to your mana pool."
Citanul Hierophants Discussion
3 months ago
Plays exceptionally well with aristocrat and friends. Great tokens for mana sac or skullclamp cards. Draw and creatures and life baked into the command zone. Green gives access to ramp for Hailfire
Many of the cards you will want you will either have or be cheap to acquire. Some ez deck tech Merciless Executioner + friends, Caustic Caterpillar , Golgari Grave-Troll + other dredgers, Llanowar Elves + other cheap dorks, Beastmaster Ascension and other effective token beatdown cards, Viscera Seer + other sac effects. I also highly recommend Cryptolith Rite or Citanul Hierophants . Slot in a handful of the fantastic removal that G/B offers, some tutors, and big beaters for the reanimates, and its a deck
4 months ago
noggynogworld Hey thanks for the input! That was pretty quick, too! I had alot more as I started writing, so I'm gonna condense it here and then work on a proper description for the deck. The important part is that the answer to your question is utility/value over combat in regards to my tokens. Didn't mean to write such a wall of text, but hopefully this sheds light on where I'm taking this. I'll try to have it all laid out in the description later today.
I want to come out ramping, get Tana out ASAP, and hit someone to start the saproling engine going. I mostly want to use Reyhan to make Tana big and explode into saprolings, same as the Hooded Hydra once it gets big and I sac it for lots of little guys.
Writing this out, I'm realizing that I kinda don't care about combat with this deck except for getting the actual tokens from Tana along with using Reyhan and Blade of Selves to make Tana absurdly large -- I want to win via drains and pings with Purphoros, God of the Forge , Poison-Tip Archer , Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and keep the board clear with Dictate of Erebos , Blasting Station , Goblin Bombardment and Walking Ballista (but mostly when I can stack more counters on him with various counter dudes and Reyhan). Combat will be easy if Champion of Lambholt sticks at all, since all of my stuff will quickly pump her and my whole field can just alpha at will.
Quick input on your suggestions:
Tendershoot Dryad , Asceticism , Heroic Intervention , Pitiless Plunderer , Death's Presence , Yawgmoth, Thran Physician are all incredible -- I thought I had Death's Presence in the list already, too. You're reasoning is solid and these certianly need to find homes.
Parallel Lives I have covered by Primal Vigor which I'm using over Doubling Season in hopes that it sticks around longer -- its asymetrical effect might make it less of a target until its too late. I know its probably silly to include multiples of the +1/+1 counters mechanics without also multiple token doublers. This is something I'll have to keep an eye on this as I really want to split the difference between the two mechanics and use them both.
Fungal Plots is actually a last minute addition, but I included it largely due to the instant-speed sac-two saprolings. No other costs involved and those could end up interacting well with any "this happens when something dies" effects. I see its strength largely in not needing to keep mana up to respond to, for example, a board wipe at instant speed.
For your concerns:
Concordant Crossroads is a haste enabler to let me swing with Tana ASAP, more than anything else. It being a symetrical effect is potentially dangerous, but the reasoning there is the same as that for Primal Vigor . I would think that I have enough chump lockers in my saprolings to deal with things coming my way, but if there is soemthing like a a Scion of theUr Dragon deck dropping hastey dragons that might be less cool. Definitely on the watch list.
Utopia Mycon is also one of the "maybe" cards, I love the no-cost sac -for-mana that will work well with other stuff, and if Tana wasn't my commander I don't think he would have a spot here at all.
Citanul Hierophants is exactly meant as redundancy for Cryptolith Rite , but its one of those things -- I'm not entirely sure how many duplicate effects I ned to remain effective. Especially after seeing the Plunderer this could go.
Greater Good is another example of intant-speed no-cost sac effect with benefits, and I think the only reason it can be here is Reyahn, if it plays out how I hope it will.
Crop Rotation I have in for Bojuka Bog and any other specific utility lands I need to fetch up, though it is definitely more powerful when the haymakers you listed are involved. The mana base as a whole I'm ignoring until I finalize-ish the last 65, so I can get the distribution of color sources right.
4 months ago
Hey there, I saw your comment on my Tana/Tymna deck, I'm glad you liked it.
This deck is interesting! It seems like you struck a good balance with counters and tokens. I'll give some tips and suggestions based on what I see here. Before I start though, I need to know how you are using your tokens. Are they used more for beating down or more for value? I'll make more suggestions once you tell me. All the suggestions I make are just my opinion, take it however you like.
Cards I would suggest finding room for:
- Tendershoot Dryad It's a fantastic token generator, and the Ascend ability on it is no joke.
- Asceticism and Heroic Intervention I noticed there is a lack of protection for your board. Something I learned, especially recently, is that our token generators and any other value creatures need to be protected. Token decks have a hard time coming back if they get wiped or targeted down before they can do anything, so these are must haves in my opinion. Archetype of Endurance is a good budget replacement for Asceticism, though very high in cmc.
- Pitiless Plunderer This adds a ton of value for sacrificing your own creatures. It has come in clutch for me more times than I could count. Also it works really well with Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest since it counts sacrificing any permanents!
- Death's Presence Could also be interesting to use with Reyhan, or even Tana. It's like Kresh the Bloodbraided 's ability but for creatures you control, although the cmc is a bit high.
- Parallel Lives Would also be good for extra token generation.
- Replace Fungal Plots with Necrogenesis Card draw is nice, but these cards can exile from other people's graveyards. Great card for controlling any reanimator/graveyard shenanigans decks. You seem to have a lot of card draw already.
- Yawgmoth, Thran Physician He has a sacrifice outlet, card draw, and a proliferate function, all in one card! He's pretty insane for a deck like yours that generates counters and sacrifice creatures for stuff.
Possible Problem cards:
- Concordant Crossroads A great card, as a wincon. It's a very dangerous card to play if you give your opponents haste too and take more advantage of it than you can. If you can pull it off without your opponents taking too much advantage of it, then more power to you!
- Utopia Mycon I used to run this card too, but it only works for saprolings which became a bit problematic when I had other tokens that weren't saprolings. However you are running Tana as a commander, so it may alleviate the problem I had with it.
- Citanul Hierophants Seems a bit redundant with Cryptolith Rite , but that's just me. There could be other creatures more worth playing for equal or less cmc, like Grismold, the Dreadsower from the new Commander Set! Definitely putting it in my Kresh deck.
- Greater Good It's a very good card if you're getting good draws from killing large creatures. I'm not sure how often you are getting creatures with 4 or more power that isn't your own commander.
- Crop Rotation It's only really good if your playing high power lands like Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers or Gaea's Cradle . If you're looking to fix mana, I would add Sakura-Tribe Elder Cultivate and/or Kodama's Reach
So far this what I have as far suggestions go. Let me know what you think!
4 months ago
I’ve been having a long hard think about this deck list, I was considering a Ghave deck for my last deck but I opted for something else instead. This is my two cents..
Perilous Forays this one would be really good as it turns all of your tokens into Sakura-Tribe Elder.
Death's Presence awesome with your counters
5 months ago
These combos and or these cards
- Xathrid Necromancer
- Vela the Night-Clad
- Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle
- Judith, the Scourge Diva
- Eternal Witness
5 months ago
Poly_raptor Thanks for the advice! Paradox Engine I'm a bit iffy on since the combo only works with Cryptolith Rite and Citanul Hierophants , but I'll definitely consider it. Awakening Zone is definitely going in the deck and I'm debating putting From Beyond in as well, but I don't know what to take out. I already cut Desolation Twin and I think its already a big improvement. I put in Anointed Procession because I already own the card, but I'm not too keen on putting Parallel Lives in since I don't want to make the deck super redundant, although making even more tokens would be nice. Thank you for commenting!
5 months ago
I have a similar deck but not in edh, just 60 card kitchen table casual magic.
Citanul Hierophants is another good outlet for ramp combo’d with paradox engine.
5 months ago
Abzkaban this is essentially a revised version of my old ghave deck Tokens and Counters Everywhere, now outside of the obvious answer to some of your suggestions of "I don't have it and follow a build the deck you can play with brewing idea" (mainly the ballista, it came out when I was away from the game and I'm stuck hoping hangarback can do a close impression) I admit I love defending card choices (often it can drive me to want to change it up when I actually type it out) so here we go.
Though I will pause and say I honestly am not currently in any meta, it's usually a long drive to find anyone who's into commander and quite often the games I am in I have to carry many decks of varying strengths, my tasigur is aimed to be the high power deck while this one I'm more looking for something that is strong, but I can play it against non cedh people.
as for why Martyr's Bond over pact or dictate it's partially because I've made my mana base purposefully heavy in plains for the Emeria Shepherd Sakura-Tribe Elder combo and bond procs off itself, another reason it because quite often if I'm going to get a game of commander in I'll have to let people borrow from my decks, one of which is Sigarda, Host of Herons and yeah in the past someone borrowing a ghave deck would just clear the board of everything but the tron angel just making voltron strat stronger seeming than it really is. and now that I think about it there's a few Rest in Peace or leylines in some of the decks I have sleeved atm...
Now the undying creatures and persist ones are definitely interesting, but that level of tuning the deck likely will go for the higher power level and less the janky Doubling Season power level. I might look into it if I ever get to play paper mtg as much as I really want to.
the macabre was picked mostly just to be the surprise uncounterable gy hate that I can Haunted Crossroads back. though maybe I should put back the Knight of the Reliquary back in and add the bog over the archdruid, question is if I have a spare bog lying around.
No data for this card yet.