Green spells you play cost less to play.
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Emerald Medallion occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
Emerald Medallion Discussion
2 days ago
As far as I know, the vast majority of playgroups don't have consistent turn 3 comboing off. I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds like your playgroup plays at a pretty high level, but it's also not bad to aspire for greatness.
About the deck itself, I would try some more combos with your mana rocks and mana dorks and play fewer counterspells/removalspells. By that I mean things like Voltaic Key with Basalt Monolith. Clock of Omens with Emerald Medallion. Mystical Tutor into a Dramatic Reversal. Kodama's Might with Devoted Druid. Ideas Unbound for the turn when you plan to win. As I said, I'm building a Phelddagrif deck, so if you want any ideas, I'm happy to share them (though I don't guarantee they will be good.)
5 days ago
Recommended additions and reasoning:
Mirari's Wake, Mana Reflection: These come at cheaper mana costs than your Zendikar Resurgent. Drawing a card on the Resurgent is good, but not good enough, since you have to cast the creature. While you likely will have enough mana to do so, it is going to be less common than cheating out the creatures. Additionally, Mana Reflection will work with all permanents, not just land. So your creature and artifact mana will double as well.
Exploration, Oracle of Mul Daya, Bloom Tender: all phenomenal sources of ramp. Highly recommend Oracle for the ability to remove land fromt he top of your deck, allowing you to dig that one card deeper... where you will find...
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth: Even if you aren't casting Kozi, you get a massive beater with Annihilator, and as a huge bonus, he helps recycle your graveyard in the event of a board wipe. Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Gaea's Cradle: You run a ton of green permanents, and if you take the Mana Reflections from earlier, you double the number of green you get from it. It is a really cool way to generate a ton of mana super quickly. about the Cradle, creature heavy decks can always benefit from it, and again... Mana Reflections doubles it.
Warstorm Surge, Stalking Vengeance: 2 enchantments that give you free damage that you can use as removal for opponent's creatures or nukes to the face. Additionally, fun interaction with the surge and the Blightsteel Colossus I also recommend, the Surge says the creature deals the damage... unblockable 11 infect shoots someone out of the game.
Panharmonicon: In a deck with a ton of creature based ETB effects, this artifact is a must. With the Surge from earlier out, now you get 2 of those triggers.... Eternal Witness: Phenomenal recursion, and can save you by getting back something you need from the graveyard.
Genesis Wave: Now that we have you pumping mana out like a pro, Genesis Wave for 40, and watch as a large amount of unnecessarily large creatures enter the battlefield and turn them sideways because you have...
Urabrask the Hidden: Yeah that's right, get that haste, and if someone tries to flash in a blocker it's useless.
Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Sigarda, Host of Herons, Privileged Position, Vigor: Because nothing says "fun" like having a boardstate that is hard to remove. Additionally, damage to your creatures makes them bigger. Thank you, Vigor.
Craterhoof Behemoth: You play this with 10+ creatures on the board, and you have an automatic 100 damage added to your total.
Tooth and Nail, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Zealous Conscripts: This is an infinite combo as well as the tutor to get it. Tap Kiki, copy the conscripts, use the new copy's trigger to target Kiki, untap Kiki. Tap Kiki, copy the conscripts... Create infinite Zealous Conscripts to attack everyone for yes damage.
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight: Amazing for both extra damage and protection.
Vedalken Orrery: Because playing on your opponent's turn is funny. And your Seedborn Muse really gets to put in work in a 4 player game, on top of the Mayael useage.
Vexing Shusher: Because nobody likes blue. This card is a big middle finger to blue.
Lurking Predators: So your opponent wants to cast things? Maybe you get a free creature for it. Can be quite useful.
Recommended cuts and the reasoning:
Desolation Twin,Krosan Tusker: They don't do enough to better your boardstate in my opinion. Desolation Twin is a 10/10 sure, but other than that, nothing. Chances are, you won't be casting it that much to get the second 10/10 anyways. The Tuskar only benefits you if you cycle it, otherwise it is just a mediocre creature. Additionally, cycling it only gets a basic land, of which you are running very few. This is not a criticism of your land base. I didn't want to touch it too much because my own landbase is significantly more expensive.
Pathbreaker Wurm, Tectonic Hellion, Tyrant of Discord: These guys are all decent, but the Pathbreaker only helps one other creature. The Hellion is cool, but what if you have the most lands? You aren't running Crucible of Worlds, but your opponents might be. the Tyrant is more of a personal preference, I don't like it because of it's random factor.
Rith's Grove: It is a bounce land, without the benefit of tapping for 2 mana like the dual color bounce lands. Not worth running in my opinion.
Pure / Simple: This card is too restrictive. Running the Krosan Grip, Swords to Plowshares, and Path to Exile are all better options. They don't force you to choose multicolor creature, or equipment or aura. They just remove a target.
Tragic Arrogance: I love boardwipes as much as the next guy, but this hits you just as hard as your opponents, and instead of using Invincibility to get through it, you have to sacrifice. Wrath of God would be a much better option in my opinion.
Rith's Charm: To me it doesn't do enough by itself to warrant keeping. You have little to no ways of getting it back or making more uses of it, so it is a 1 shot item. I'm sure by now you have noticed I prefer things that have multiple and recurring uses.
Overall, I love it. I love Mayael, and she has been my strongest and favorite deck for a very long time (2012). My current version relies very little on her ability, because I played with a bunch of rather rude people that played Pithing Needle and named her all the time. It was not fun, but building my deck to use her ability as an option, instead of a strategy, changed the way I used her, meaning that the needle no longer leaves my deck dead in the water.
Please keep in mind that my recommendations are just that. if that Gigantosaurus doesn't do anything, but you like it because it's a dinosaur, and you don't want to cut it, you do not have to. I unfortunately gave up all my dreams of having cards I like for flavor, aesthetics, etc, because I decided to build my deck to compete and even stomp on combo and control decks. I have no room for cards that don't serve to better my boardstate as a whole.
Final Note: I will be more than happy to provide further insight and feedback if you have any other questions.
6 days ago
Oh, thank you! I originally wanted to use some random old school card with text like "Enchanted creature gets +1/+1, whenever a player casts a green spell, sacrifice this enchantment." Sadly, after much scouring I failed to find that perfect card. However, I've since grown much happier with the Emerald Medallion inclusion! Thanks for the comment!
6 days ago
I have to say that your pick for Emerald Medallion is amazing.
3 weeks ago
Natural Order: This coming out feels like a cardinal sin, this is also coming from the guy that removed Eldritch Evolution for a bit, only to put it back in on a whim and steal every win thanks to EE and NO. Straight to the battlefield tutors surprisingly go for Combo pieces or Seedborn Muse more than Regal Force.
Emerald Medallion: I can say it's bugged me to draw it on turns where I am digging, but I am utterly terrified of touching my ramp package.
3 weeks ago
These are cards that are on the proverbial chopping block, along with your suggestion. How do you feel about the rest SynergyBuild?
3 weeks ago
Ngl, listing cards I am not a fan of, but want to get your opinion on.
Natural Order - Powerful, no doubt, but Regal Force is probably the best target for mana efficiency, and I just think a counter on this is too bad, considering it's sorcery speed in an instant speed deck. Could be dropped for Evolution, it's similar, and is cheaper, with few cards that cost that much that you'd need.
Emerald Medallion - Just not a fan, this deck roughly has 42 possible cards it can affect, with 28 failcases on it directly, for storm turns it's good if on field, but it's bad if you draw it and need instant speed mana. I'd think spinner is better.
Idk about the wire though~
4 weeks ago
Before I dive into the responses, I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to comment.
- Emerald Medallion/Rhonas's Monument - bring in mono green, I have no way to search for these to get them out early and after turn 4 they really become a dead draw. The deck generates an insane amount of mana when I get going for better utility that I can use at any point in the game.
- Nyx Lotus - I hate that it enters tapped. I've been on the fence about it, and if I ever pull one or trade for one, I'll test it. It also runs counterintuitive to Collector Ouphe which I try to keep out as often as possible to hinder my playgroup.
- Bow of Nylea - deathtouch is rarely needed, Ohran Frostfang is ran mostly because of the passive draw ability it has. I am running this in my budget deck though since it doesn't generate mana like this version does. I do plan on testing it in this version eventually for the other abilities though.
- Brawn/Nylea, God of the Hunt/Nylea's Forerunner/Primal Rage/Roughshod Mentor - between kamahl and hoofy, these are unneeded.
- Citanul Hierophants/Cryptolith Rite - I ran hierophants for a long time when I first made the deck and eventually dropped it. Outside of my mana dorks, I dont tap the creatures for mana, so it just became unnecessary.
- Embodiment of Insight - I dont turn my lands into creatures unless absolutely necessary. So this doesn't really help my playstyle.
- Sword of the Animist - it's a great card, I just don't use equipment in this deck. No real reason for it, I dont even run Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves.
- Vivien's Arkbow/Elvish Piper - both on the list to playtest.
- Overwhelming Stampede/Overrun - ran stampede for years in the deck and eventually dropped it for more utility. My commander does overrun at instant speed so I wont waste a slot on the actual overrun card.
- Beastmaster Ascension - haven't really considered it to be honest. I dont need it offensively, but could be useful to help keep my mana dorks alive from mass damage spells. I'll have to play around with it.
- Rogue's Passage - unneeded. When I swing, I get through.
- Reliquary Tower - already in the deck.
- Pir's Whim - I just recently discovered this card for another deck and plan on playtesting it in this deck.
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary - on the maybe list, I'll eventually playtest it.
- Harmonize - I have better draw spells for only 1 additional mana.
Again, thank you for all the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.