|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Future Sight (FUT)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Fungus
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Utopia Mycon.
Remove three spore counters from Utopia Mycon: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play.
Sacrifice a Saproling: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Utopia Mycon Discussion
1 week ago
I love this style of deck! I have a similar deck in the form of Bruse and Tana if you want to check it out. I made a super budget version too that still manages to deal crazy amounts of damage pretty early.
Anyway, I think you'd like these cards: Rapacious One , Bravado , Hope Against Hope , Sigil of the Nayan Gods , Wild Beastmaster , Betrothed of Fire , Shamanic Revelation , Majestic Myriarch , Druids' Repository , Rishkar's Expertise , Return of the Wildspeaker , Utopia Mycon , Requiem Angel , Rage Thrower , Beastmaster Ascension
Also heads up, your list has 2x Fungal Sprouting
2 months ago
@: Already found 11 ideas to put in. Each w/ their own purpose of sacking. I suppose the fact I can't find something to Draw a card Via Saccing a Sap means I guess Utopia Mycon should be cut as mana regardless? What would be good here?:
Or is Fungal Plots fine?
Only after this will I feel ready to end this debate of Naya...
2 months ago
noggynogworld Hey thanks for the input! That was pretty quick, too! I had alot more as I started writing, so I'm gonna condense it here and then work on a proper description for the deck. The important part is that the answer to your question is utility/value over combat in regards to my tokens. Didn't mean to write such a wall of text, but hopefully this sheds light on where I'm taking this. I'll try to have it all laid out in the description later today.
I want to come out ramping, get Tana out ASAP, and hit someone to start the saproling engine going. I mostly want to use Reyhan to make Tana big and explode into saprolings, same as the Hooded Hydra once it gets big and I sac it for lots of little guys.
Writing this out, I'm realizing that I kinda don't care about combat with this deck except for getting the actual tokens from Tana along with using Reyhan and Blade of Selves to make Tana absurdly large -- I want to win via drains and pings with Purphoros, God of the Forge , Poison-Tip Archer , Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and keep the board clear with Dictate of Erebos , Blasting Station , Goblin Bombardment and Walking Ballista (but mostly when I can stack more counters on him with various counter dudes and Reyhan). Combat will be easy if Champion of Lambholt sticks at all, since all of my stuff will quickly pump her and my whole field can just alpha at will.
Quick input on your suggestions:
Tendershoot Dryad , Asceticism , Heroic Intervention , Pitiless Plunderer , Death's Presence , Yawgmoth, Thran Physician are all incredible -- I thought I had Death's Presence in the list already, too. You're reasoning is solid and these certianly need to find homes.
Parallel Lives I have covered by Primal Vigor which I'm using over Doubling Season in hopes that it sticks around longer -- its asymetrical effect might make it less of a target until its too late. I know its probably silly to include multiples of the +1/+1 counters mechanics without also multiple token doublers. This is something I'll have to keep an eye on this as I really want to split the difference between the two mechanics and use them both.
Fungal Plots is actually a last minute addition, but I included it largely due to the instant-speed sac-two saprolings. No other costs involved and those could end up interacting well with any "this happens when something dies" effects. I see its strength largely in not needing to keep mana up to respond to, for example, a board wipe at instant speed.
For your concerns:
Concordant Crossroads is a haste enabler to let me swing with Tana ASAP, more than anything else. It being a symetrical effect is potentially dangerous, but the reasoning there is the same as that for Primal Vigor . I would think that I have enough chump lockers in my saprolings to deal with things coming my way, but if there is soemthing like a a Scion of theUr Dragon deck dropping hastey dragons that might be less cool. Definitely on the watch list.
Utopia Mycon is also one of the "maybe" cards, I love the no-cost sac -for-mana that will work well with other stuff, and if Tana wasn't my commander I don't think he would have a spot here at all.
Citanul Hierophants is exactly meant as redundancy for Cryptolith Rite , but its one of those things -- I'm not entirely sure how many duplicate effects I ned to remain effective. Especially after seeing the Plunderer this could go.
Greater Good is another example of intant-speed no-cost sac effect with benefits, and I think the only reason it can be here is Reyahn, if it plays out how I hope it will.
Crop Rotation I have in for Bojuka Bog and any other specific utility lands I need to fetch up, though it is definitely more powerful when the haymakers you listed are involved. The mana base as a whole I'm ignoring until I finalize-ish the last 65, so I can get the distribution of color sources right.
2 months ago
Hey there, I saw your comment on my Tana/Tymna deck, I'm glad you liked it.
This deck is interesting! It seems like you struck a good balance with counters and tokens. I'll give some tips and suggestions based on what I see here. Before I start though, I need to know how you are using your tokens. Are they used more for beating down or more for value? I'll make more suggestions once you tell me. All the suggestions I make are just my opinion, take it however you like.
Cards I would suggest finding room for:
- Tendershoot Dryad It's a fantastic token generator, and the Ascend ability on it is no joke.
- Asceticism and Heroic Intervention I noticed there is a lack of protection for your board. Something I learned, especially recently, is that our token generators and any other value creatures need to be protected. Token decks have a hard time coming back if they get wiped or targeted down before they can do anything, so these are must haves in my opinion. Archetype of Endurance is a good budget replacement for Asceticism, though very high in cmc.
- Pitiless Plunderer This adds a ton of value for sacrificing your own creatures. It has come in clutch for me more times than I could count. Also it works really well with Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest since it counts sacrificing any permanents!
- Death's Presence Could also be interesting to use with Reyhan, or even Tana. It's like Kresh the Bloodbraided 's ability but for creatures you control, although the cmc is a bit high.
- Parallel Lives Would also be good for extra token generation.
- Replace Fungal Plots with Necrogenesis Card draw is nice, but these cards can exile from other people's graveyards. Great card for controlling any reanimator/graveyard shenanigans decks. You seem to have a lot of card draw already.
- Yawgmoth, Thran Physician He has a sacrifice outlet, card draw, and a proliferate function, all in one card! He's pretty insane for a deck like yours that generates counters and sacrifice creatures for stuff.
Possible Problem cards:
- Concordant Crossroads A great card, as a wincon. It's a very dangerous card to play if you give your opponents haste too and take more advantage of it than you can. If you can pull it off without your opponents taking too much advantage of it, then more power to you!
- Utopia Mycon I used to run this card too, but it only works for saprolings which became a bit problematic when I had other tokens that weren't saprolings. However you are running Tana as a commander, so it may alleviate the problem I had with it.
- Citanul Hierophants Seems a bit redundant with Cryptolith Rite , but that's just me. There could be other creatures more worth playing for equal or less cmc, like Grismold, the Dreadsower from the new Commander Set! Definitely putting it in my Kresh deck.
- Greater Good It's a very good card if you're getting good draws from killing large creatures. I'm not sure how often you are getting creatures with 4 or more power that isn't your own commander.
- Crop Rotation It's only really good if your playing high power lands like Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers or Gaea's Cradle . If you're looking to fix mana, I would add Sakura-Tribe Elder Cultivate and/or Kodama's Reach
So far this what I have as far suggestions go. Let me know what you think!
4 months ago
I like this idea- I've been testing Changeling Outcast / Basal Sliver / Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and it looks decent- brood birthing into hand is an interesting backup combo that already uses pieces I'm playing. Red offers Skirk Prospector and green Utopia Mycon for backup pieces. Sacrificing tokens lets me stack gravestorm triggers for disruption, which might be amazing in combo matchups.
If you are looking to stay in mono-red, there is enough filtering with Faithless Looting / Cathartic Reunion / Magmatic Insight etc to set up a combo, the only quesion is what to cast with it. Anihilator one turn one is enough to cut people off lands in a lot of situations, so I'd look at Crack the Earth / Boom to shut your opponent off lands.
6 months ago
Ok, better late than never.
I'd also work on replacing Diabolic Tutor with Diabolic Intent while it's still reasonably priced.
No idea on your budget, but here's a few more expensive options you should save up for if they aren't options now. Doubling Season , Phyrexian Altar , Enlightened Tutor , and Aura Shards . Replenish and Academy Rector too if you manage to find 'em. Sadly Ghave is an expensive deck to upgrade and make more competitive.
6 months ago
7 months ago
You can certainly make it a viable deck without sinking Doubling Season money into it or turning it into a deck whose only goal is to Demonic Tutor into a combo. There's a lot of good stuff in here to build on.
Hardened Scales rounds out your Corpsejack Menace/Snek package.
You could probably lean a little into Saprolings, as well. Psychotrope Thallid is great card draw when your Commander makes Saprolings. Utopia Mycon is great for ramp. Tendershoot Dryad is a great lord for going wide. Night Soil , Saproling Burst , Verdant Embrace , Fertile Imagination , Fungal Sprouting , Scatter the Seeds , and Saproling Symbiosis are solid token producers. That last one is expensive, but I thought I'd just put it out there since it's old af.
As for cuts, if you're not doing broken combo things, Spikes are not good. Cruel Sadist , Sylvan Hierophant , Consuming Vapors , Heirloom Blade , Clockwork Vorrac , and Underworld Connections could probably be cut on card quality, alone.
Utopia Mycon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%