|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Future Sight (FUT)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Fungus
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Utopia Mycon.
Remove three spore counters from Utopia Mycon: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play.
Sacrifice a Saproling: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||NivStormfront , Pumpkinking913 , Abzkaban , Bluboltar , , TypicalTimmy , Daddy1ong1egs13|
|Want (15)||pipipimlbpp , Approximos , IsaacGreenseed , CharlesBlackwater , wesk123 , 2OfHearts , Minimatte , coocbey73 , JoshTheStampede , foofifoo , DeadlyPro_21 , Dragonex , perz13 , SilvanSage , waynebland|
Utopia Mycon Discussion
1 week ago
I'm currently without a playgroup at the moment, unfortunately, since I moved states a couple years ago. However in my old playgroup this wouldn't be as big of a problem as it would be in more competitive pods. Either way unless someone counters Ghave, this deck wins more often than not as soon as he hits the field.
If you're worried about him being a big target, there are plenty of ways for the deck to go off without him. There are currently 75 possible combinations of cards using persist creatures that go infinite (Going through this made me realize I really need to update my Full Combo list, so thanks!). We can use any of 5 cards to combo with a persist creature and a sac outlet. These are:
We have three persist creatures to choose from (though you can add more if you want to focus on this strategy):
5 x 3 = 15. That's 15 combinations with any sac outlet. The sac outlets we have available are:
15 x 5 = 75. That gives us 75 possible combinations to reach infinite without Ghave. I didn't include Evolutionary Leap in the equation merely because the sac outlet isn't free. It's kind of a pseudo-Ghave with some possible tutor ability.
It's worth noting that only Blasting Station wins you the game on the spot out of these combos. Otherwise you'll need a Blood Artist effect for the win. However any of the persist creatures give us useful abilities, though Puppeteer Clique is generally more useful in long games with full graveyards. Likely if your group is competitive you won't get that far. He can be replaced with lower cmc creatures like Safehold Elite for instance if you just care about infinite death triggers. However Woodfall Primus can lock out the game by destroying all lands if you want to go that route.
Not to mention we also have our recursion combo using any of Karmic Guide/Reveillark/Saffi Eriksdotter. There are 3 combinations of using any 2 of these creatures and 5 free sac outlets. This gives us 15 combinations, 3 of which win on the spot with Blasting Station. For the other 12, we can add Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat for the win. 12 x 2 = 24. Add Triskelion with any 2 of our recursion creatures for 3 more ways to win. 3 + 24 + 3 = 30 possible routes to win the game from these cards alone.
All in all the deck can work just fine without Ghave provided you know what to tutor for. The way I see it, there are two methods for reaching a game winning combo.
- Be fast and resilient. This is the route I've chosen. There are so many different ways to make a combo that a little disruption doesn't phase us. Obviously I still need to work on my land base to make it faster for this strategy to work consistently for cEDH. Otherwise in more casual groups I can just durdle around and win whenever I want.
- Utilize control. Cut down on the number of combos in the deck and focus on a select few that will win you the game. Use a combination of tutors to draw your combos and control to maintain your boardstate and prevent others from winning until you can play a game winning combo. For this I would go for straight up infinite damage or life drain from continuous sac outlets and forgo the infinite mana/tokens approach. If you feel this is what you need for your meta then go for it. It still works really well, though obviously I prefer the resiliency approach.
Hopefully that answered your question. If not let me know, and I'll be happy to discuss!
I used to have Utopia Mycon in the deck, but it got cut for Phyrexian Altar which is objectively better. Yes you can search Mycon with Hulk who can't get the Altar, but if you're sac'ing Hulk to pull them out, you don't really need the fungus in the first place. Viscera Seer and Carrion Feeder can be brought out with Hulk and aren't restricted to sacrificing just saprolings. I'm not sure Metallic Mimic combos enough with other cards in the deck to merit a spot with Mycon, but it's certainly an approach that can work in other builds.
3 weeks ago
Hey, saw your forum help topic.
Thunderfoot Baloth is a budget alternative to Craterhoof especially since Slimefoot is a low mana cost Commander who you want in play as much as possible; Thunderfoot could replace Primeval Protector. Eternal Witness is now a budget card, she's definitely a staple for green in Commander and she could replace Skullwinder.
Diabolic Intent could replace Dark Petition, less mana and good with the aristocrat strategy a few dollars more, but worth it. Fierce Empath is a great budget creature tutor for green especially when playing Avenger and Regal; it could replace Wild Beastmaster. Plaguecrafter is a upgraded Freshbag Marauder. Overgrown Tomb is a better land for this deck than Blooming Marsh because it interacts with Farseek, Lore, Wood Elves or Skyshroud. Blooming doesn't and Tomb is about the same price as Blooming.
Consider more sac outlets? Specifically with no mana cost or low mana cost sac activations.
- Viscera Seer
- Carrion Feeder
- Deathspore Thallid
- Utopia Mycon
- Psychotrope Thallid
- Krav, the Unredeemed
Mycon, Deathspore, Psychotrope are tribal Saproling/Fungi sac outlets who give you good value when you sac a Sap. They can also make a 1/1 Sap by removing three counters from them. Krav is a favorite budget card of mine in Commander, with tokens he can get huge and draw a ton of cards. His one cost sac activation is very good for the aristocrat strategy with tokens because you can sac your entire token army with one activation.
Other cards to consider adding:
- Command Tower: one of the best lands in Commander.
- Llanowar Wastes: budget Golgari dual land.
- Reliquary Tower
- Sprout Swarm: convoke, buyback and instant very good abilities with tokens.
- Scatter the Seeds: convoke, more instant Sap token creation.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Status / Statue
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Skyshroud Claim
- Priest of Titania
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
Can you afford Parallel Lives? If you can, it is amazing for token decks. Seedborn Muse is another higher-end card that does work in this deck. Totally understandable if they are out of your price range though.
Utopia Mycon is about $5, but helps fix and ramp your mana, generate saprolings, and can enable other combos, if you want to take it in that direction (as many of these cards will). Plus, it’s a sac outlet, which is a benefit.
Pitiless Plunderer is very good if you repeatedly sacrifice your dudes. It generates colored mana, and if you have any way to double tokens, you can get double mana. Very underrated card in my opinion.
The Ashnod's Altar you already have can combo off with a ton of other cards that you probably are already playing. Just something to keep in mind.
1 month ago
I love Utopia Mycon! It definitely works just fine when saprolings are all you're dealing with. It used to be in my fungus tribal version of the deck and was part of the first combos. But again like you said, Phyrexian Altar is just better.
Thanks! I appreciate your attention to the deck and your suggestions.
1 month ago
Fair enough. Only other card I'd bother to mention would be Utopia Mycon since you mentioned mana. It's kind of a strictly worse Phyrexian Altar, but I love the little guy anyways. One of my favorite cards to play turn 1 aside from Sol Ring Other than that, +1. Love what you're doing here with Ghave.
2 months ago
+1 for this sick brew!
6 months ago
I think you should put in Meren of Clan Nel Toth, and here are a list of most of the Ghave infinites:
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar + Sigil Captain = infinite colorless mana, infinite tokens, all your creatures are infinite/infinite
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar + Juniper Order Ranger = infinite colorless mana, infinite tokens, all your creatures are infinite/infinite
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar + Cathars' Crusade = infinite colorless mana, infinite tokens, all your creatures are infinite/infinite
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar + any creature with Undying = infinite colorless mana, infinite tokens, all your creatures are infinite/infinite
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar + Doubling Season = infinite colorless mana, infinite tokens, all your creatures are infinite/infinite
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Earthcraft + Doubling Season = infinite colored mana, infinite tokens, all your creatures are infinite/infinite
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Earthcraft + Cathars' Crusade = infinite tokens, all your creatures are infinite/infinite
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Earthcraft + any creature with Undying = infinite tokens, all your creatures are infinite/infinite (except the undying creature)
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Earthcraft + Sigil Captain = infinite tokens
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Earthcraft + Juniper Order Ranger = infinite tokens
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Earthcraft + Paralell Lives = infinite tokens
- Ghave, Guru of Spores + Ashnod's Altar + Illusionist's Bracers= Infinite tokens
As you can see, most of the include: Earthcraft. I suggest adding in Earthcraft, Illusionist's Bracers, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Triskelion, Walking Ballista, Parallel Lives, and Strangleroot Geist(for the persist creature. Mikaeus, the Unhallowed with any other creature and it works the same way.)
I suggest taking out Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Utopia Mycon, Fertilid, Thallid Soothsayer, Reyhan, Last of the Abzan, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Krav, the Unredeemed, and Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest. To make this more competitive I'd also suggest auto-sac creatures like Fleshbag Marauder or Merciless Executioner.
Sorry if this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but Ghave, Guru of Spores is really quite the combo master.
6 months ago
Hey sebvieira, That'S why I've so many sac outlets in this deck (like Deathspore Thallid, Ashnod's Altar, Viscera Seer or Utopia Mycon). I create a ridiculus number of tokens and sac all of them in risponse to one of them to drain everyone for their life total with Zulaport Cutthroat or Slimefoot himself. :)
I was really unsure about the sprout swarm. Sure, you can convoke it, but you'd still have to pay 3 colorless for the buyback right? So you get one Saproling for 4 Mana, that seems quite a lot to me. I prefer to drop Verdeloth the Ancient as soon as I have some creatures and Cryptolith Rite out, I thought that would be a little bit more efficient. :) Anyway, thank y