|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Strive - Ajani's Presence costs 2W more to cast for each target beyond the first.
Any number of target creatures each get +1/+1 and gain indestructible until end of turn. (Damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy them.)
Ajani's Presence Discussion
2 months ago
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm not too worried about cost as I'm taking apart another Boros deck (The flip Avacyn) that never quite got to a good place for me, so the Mana Base, Sunforger , and even Land Tax are already my hands. I also love that I can go through my old collection from the 90s and grab junk that turns to gold here. I mean, I drafted Accelerate back in the day :)
Aria of Flame looks like an interesting risk. I guess it depends on how much removal people bring since you don't make back the life given away until the 8th cast if my math is right.
I'll see if I can find a "Target Each" wrath effect that I can save myself from using something like Ajani's Presence .
4 months ago
You should consider Reliquary Tower to avoid hand flood, and Darksteel Ingot Instead of Boros Locket . Also, You should run all one mana +3/+x spells and Assault Strobe . Also feather is pretty color heavy so i would not use Mind Stone . Also why are you not using blink protection and Ajani's Presence ? Blink and return at the end of turn escapes pretty much all possible removals for feather ( Toxic Deluge Cyclonic Rift and edicts
5 months ago
First of all, thanks for making a primer on this commander! There are a lot of people starting to play this one since release, but not a lot of in depth content out yet. I have some suggestions based around my play experience with this deck:
Mirrorwing Dragon and Zada, Hedron Grinder : I feel Feather works best when you can go off and kill someone in one turn, usually with commander damage. These two creatures enable you to go wide while still benefiting from the instants and sorceries you are already playing in feather. Cards like Bandage go from draw one every turn to draw 1 card every turn for each creature you control, all for just 1 mana. If you are ever worried about decking yourself, just don't cast the draw card targeting these creatures. Pump spells can easily turn into 1 mana Overrun s. Usually the turn I drop this, as long as I have leftover mana to play other pump spells, I can win the game.
Dreadhorde Arcanist : This guy is a house. You are naturally running pump spells in your deck, so you won't have a problem casting spells out of your gy. Some cards you run in the deck, such as Path to Exile , Council's Judgment or Chaos Warp , won't recur with feather, so being able to cast them another time for free is huge.
Twinflame , Ajani's Presence and Launch the Fleet : works best with either of the two aforementioned creatures, but can also work with strive. Can win games pretty fast when you swing with even just a couple creatures. Ajani's presence has saved my board countless times from board wipes as well.
Samut's Sprint , Brute Strength , etc: Most of my games with feather end in drawing into Temur Battle Rage and casting on feather when she is power 11 or greater. This requires many small cmc, efficient pump spells to fill your draws in the early game.
Cards I would replace:
Veilstone Amulet and Scroll of the Masters : Veilstone amulet can be accomplished with other cards we play for less mana ( eg. Apostle's Blessing, shelter, etc. ). Spending 3 mana to drop a do-nothing artifact isn't where the deck wants to be. Scroll of Masters is cute but I think we can get better effects in just the instants and sorceries we run.
Sentinel Tower and Guttersnipe : I considered both of these cards when making the deck, but I found they played out too slow. I couldn't find a time when I would like to cast Sentinel Tower rather than spend mana casting a draw spell on feather. Guttersnipe felt the same way. He also tends to attract a lot of hate when I'm not ready to finish my opponents. The nice thing about feather is you can amass enough card advantage by the mid game where you can explode and possibly one-shot your opponent.
Akroan Conscriptor is a bit slow and can provide no value depending on the board state.
I don't know how I feel about Grapeshot . I guess you will be playing 3-5 spells each turn, but a reusable card to deal 5 damage to a target every turn seems pretty slow to me. You should be able to not care about an opponents creatures most of the time ( she has flying, can give protection with various spells in deck, etc ) so killing creatures isn't as valuable and doing 5 damage to an opponents face is pretty lackluster.
Silverclad Ferocidons : A card that is > 5 mana should win the game for you when you play it. This card doesn't do that. I would much rather play 5-6 of my cheap instants/sorceries then play this card in a turn.
There are probably other cards I could think of and recommend, but I'm still working on my own list and tweaking it as I play the deck. Thanks again for writing a primer on this commander! Enjoy!
5 months ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
5 months ago
Perhaps Generator Servant would be good?
Turn 1: Mountain
Turn 2: Plains, Generator Servant
Would also help you play Sun-Crowned Hunters , which is quite expensive. I'd probably remove the reanimation spells for it.
6 months ago
Gadianten the thing is that I can't remove Akroan Crusader and other token spamming heroic creatures without removing Zada, Hedron Grinder , otherwise combos like Zada, Hedron Grinder + Seize the Day for huge amount of combat phases are useless.
Odric, Lunarch Marshal is there to protect my creatures from my own boarwipes ( Sheltering Light or Ajani's Presence on any creature in first mainphase for boardwide indestructubility ) he also spreads "secondary" effects of cantrips like lifelink or firststrike to everyone if you cast them in response to his trigger at the beggining of combat phase.
6 months ago
Hey, there's several older cards that are not played, or really known which are very good with Feather. These all have draw:
- Balduvian Rage : at worst this is one mana draw, at best it can kill an opponent with Feather.
- Bandage : one mana draw.
- Niveous Wisps : one mana draw.
- Panic : one mana draw.
- Spiritualize : lifelink and draw.
Other cards that can be upgrades for cards currently here:
9 months ago
Hey Happy774 - glad I could help inspire you to build something :) It can be pretty explosive with it's damage!
As for alternatives.... Teferi's Protection is a tough one to replace because it's so good and we're already running Heroic Intervention. Perhaps something like Ajani's Presence would work as you won't have loads of cats out that need saving at once, or even Rootborn Defenses (or the new card from RNA that's similar?) - Possibly Blinding Fog or the rather expensive to cast Join Shields? None of them are as good sadly....
A swap for Rhonas the Indomitable would really be looking for something that enables trample as that's why he's in the deck. A quick Scryfall search throws up some stuff like Elvish Herder or Creeperhulk or Mosstodon but I'm not sure how great they'd be (they're also not cats, but then neither is Rhonas....)
Hope that helps!
Ajani's Presence occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%