|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Exile target creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control. If a Pirate was exiled this way, draw a card.
Siren's Ruse Discussion
1 month ago
I have been UB pirates on Arena the last few weeks and I seriously consider Curious Obsession one of the best cards in it. Also Siren's Ruse as a mean to re-enter Hostage Taker in longer games has turned the tide many a times. I'd personally run CO over Treasure Map Flip as a card advantage.
1 month ago
Hi Quadsimotto, thanks for commenting.
From the top... Yes, if you can flicker Hostage Taker , it can be great fun. I did, however find the Siren's Ruse / Hostage Taker combo to be rather slow and dropped those cards from later versions of this deck. Artful Takedown promises a lot, but you often have less than 4 mana available when you want to play it. When it comes off, it works well. I haven't even looked at Mass Manipulation , with 6, 8, 10 cmc, it really scares me. Mnemonic Betrayal is a strong side-board card, but it really only becomes playable fairly late in the game. My latest incarnation of this deck is Aggro Thief
1 month ago
I'm working on a Kaho deck myself right now (still WIP), and I was looking through other Kaho decks on the site. Here's some recommendations:
- Chain Stasis . I swear, this little doozy from homelands was *exactly* what I was looking for. You can put this in a Kaho pile, and for 4 mana you can put 2 spells on the stack that both read "untap Kaho". What this means is that without any outside help, no TYE, no Minamo, you can cast 2 distinct spells off Kaho. The permanents do this job better, but Chain Stasis can be tutored as part of a Kaho pile.
- Nexus of Fate . If you don't want to run it due to price, that's fair. But I can't understate how well this card goes with Kaho. It feels like it was designed for her. You're already running the TYE, just that and Kaho let you infinitely loop Nexus.
- Siren's Ruse and Stream of Consciousness . The former is a nice cheap bounce spell. The latter doesn't seem that great, but its cheap and if it shuffle another graveyard-shuffle effect then its done its job.
Here's a link to my "deck" right now, I'd appreciate if you'd look over what's there so far.
Commander / EDH*
8 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
2 months ago
Another janky and extremely unique combo:
Cast Wormfang Drake to exile your recursion engine
Using Ruse will allow you to mill 4 cards per spent.
Using Flicker or Displace will allow you to mill 6 cards per spent.
This ain't an easy combo to set up as there're many pieces we need to assemble, but if you pull it off, it's really fun and will surprise all your opponents! LOL
2 months ago
3 months ago
If I may offer some suggestions. I have played UR Wizard Burn in Modern and currently have a Jeskai Wizards build with Naban, Dean of Iteration , an Izzet Wizard Deck with Adeliz, the Cinder Wind , and a spell slinger deck with Niv-Mizzet, Parun in standard. Each have their own similarities, but mostly play very, very differently. When I look at this list, I feel like you aren't focused enough on one particular area to be effective. You've got some pieces from one game plan and some pieces from other game plans. Consider the following ways you can go:
The first variation is a super aggro deck built around Adeliz. You throw down little, aggressive wizards like Siren Stormtamer , Ghitu Lavarunner , and Viashino Pyromancer and get some early damage in. Then, when the time is right, you slam Adeliz, attack with everyone, throw all your cheap burn spells at your opponent's face, and deal like 30 damage in a single turn. Adeliz needs such cheap wizards to go wide quickly and cheap spells to "storm off" with her, that I don't even include Wee Dragonauts and Aven Wind Mage in my deck because I feel like they are too expensive.
The second variation is a slower, burn them over time plan using cards like Guttersnipe , Goblin Electromancer , Electrostatic Field , Niv-Mizzet, and Murmuring Mystic . This build is essentially a counter-burn deck which controls the board state and slowly kills the opponent with incremental damage using the creatures above.
The third variation is built around Naban. I know you don't have Naban on this list, but have all of his best students: Merfolk Trickster , Viashino Pyromancer , and Exclusion Mage . This is a tempo deck where you gain value off of your wizards and blink them over and over again with Siren's Ruse or, if you're Jeskai, Justiciar's Portal .
Finally, this isn't a wizards build, but people keep mentioning them so I figured I should too, and that is a deck using Crackling Drake and Enigma Drake . Aside from having Goblin Electromancer , I don't think it really has anything to do with Wizards perse, but it does play similarly. I played the double drake deck when Ravnica first came out and I did so without Arclight Phoenix because I couldn't afford it. The goal of this deck is just to slam a Drake and make sure it survives while slowly powering it up. There are more tempoy builds which are more aggressive and slower, more control builds.
I hope this helps. Having a single strategy in mind really helps refine decks and give them a ton more consistency. Figure out what style of play you like best and I would hone in on that. Or you could be like me and just build them all! Wizards is my favorite tribe.
3 months ago
OK - I have been playing around with similar builds and have a few comments.
2) I found that Disinformation Campaign under-performs and slows down the deck. If you play 4 Siren's Ruse you don't need Blink of an Eye , specially if you play some other cards that might speed up the deck.
3) Thief of Sanity can be a total game changer in this deck, allowing you to select your opponent's strongest cards and play then as your own. I like equipping Aether Tunnel to Thief of Sanity to create an unblockable 3/2 creature that does damage each turn and also gives you one of your opponent's cards into your 'second hand' each turn. IMO 3,or 4 Thief of Sanity are a must in your main-board.
My choices would be:
-2 Mission Briefing (pay 2 mana to select an instant to replay -then have 2 less mana to play that card - doesn't work until late in the game)
+1 Siren's Ruse
Then have some fun
Building on this theme, I would certainly have Hostage Taker in the side-board. It is a pity that we can't also play Nightveil Specter (from the guild-kit). I would consider the option of being able to drop Blink of an Eye for Curious Obsession to give your unblockable Thief of Sanity even more oomph.
Siren's Ruse occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%