|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Wall of Reverence
Creature — Spirit Wall
At the beginning of your end step, you may gain life equal to the power of target creature you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (23)||Bad_Dog , ironax , Justinaut , Supremespeed , TheAlmostHero , Va1mar , bakeraj4 , , AlucardZain , gosora , golgarigirl , MattN7498 , rikertchu , Tiddilywinkus , switchkill65 , LoneCrusader399 , Antiat , Friedrice24 , dplerner , Unlife , philktoken8998 , Pelli , mziter501|
Wall of Reverence Discussion
1 week ago
cut Wall of Omens, Wall of Reverence, Archangel Avacyn Flip, Whip of Erebos, Archetype of Courage, Ajani, Caller of the Pride, Orzhov Signet, Akroma's Memorial, Congregate, Odric, Master Tactician and Crystal Ball. Then choose a subtheme, walkers or lifegain. For walkers add 2x Oath of Gideon, Oath of Liliana, 2x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, 2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Elspeth Tirel and 4x Fumigate. Alternatively go pseudo soul sisters, adding 3x Soul's Attendant, 3x Archangel of Thune, 3x Soul Warden, 2x Lingering Souls and maybe Auriok Champion
2 weeks ago
Cool 5-color idea.
Have fun playing!
2 weeks ago
This is a really fun archetype!
Have you tested with Athreos, God of Passage (a bit expensive at $10 or so), Authority of the Consuls, Cauldron of Souls, Disciple of Bolas, Spawning Pit, Viscera Seer, Wall of Reverence, or Zulaport Cutthroat?
Have fun brewing!
1 month ago
Have fun brewing!
1 month ago
This is a cool take on Oloro.
I wonder if any of these cards might be fun to test in the deck?
- Beacon of Immortality
- Authority of the Consuls
- Blind Obedience
- Mark of Asylum
- Sphinx's Revelation
- Wall of Reverence
- War Tax
- Well-Laid Plans
2 months ago
Cool to see this list - I am working on an Oloro, Annoying Ascetic list that plays a bunch of other Esper commanders until it can land a Phage the Untouchable + Fractured Identity combo, sometimes enabled by Dream Halls.
I'll also pitch Choice of Damnations as a fun card to play.
2 months ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
2 months ago
Mana Crypt Show
Wayfarer's Bauble is a good ramp option. I'd say it's strictly better than any of the generic 3CMC mana rocks like Manalith and Darksteel Ingot just because it's permanent land ramp. But the deck has no space for further ramp cards, and I certainly wouldn't use it over Mana Crypt.
Tithe is an okay land fetch card. I already have Eternal Dragon in the deck that performs the same task, but with the added benefit of not requiring coloured mana and being a 5/5 flier for the late game.
Sensei's Divining Top Show
As for refreshing the top of my library, there are currently fifteen cards in this deck that shuffle, with four of them repeatable by themselves.
Crucible of Worlds is a fine card, just not for this deck. I do have quite the number of utility lands, but they're not the main focus of the deck. I feel Sun Titan and Petrified Field are sufficient enough to bring back destroyed utility lands and have no need for a third land recursion card.
Day of Judgment & Wrath of God Show
Rout is a sweeper better suited for control decks. I infrequently have 7 mana open for a single spell. I'm always doing things with my mana.
The "choose one and sacrifice the rest" style of sweepers is something I don't want too many of. I've been burnt in the past by overloading on them and I don't want to make that mistake again. They will also never remove a permanent type if it's the only one that player controls. Something a straight, clean sweeper will always do.
Divine Reckoning doesn't have the benefits the other sweepers of this style have by hitting all nonland permanents, though is still a good option for metas heavy on token decks.
Tragic Arrogance is probably the first sweeper I would consider if I ever had to replace one, but for now it isn't needed.
Grasp of Fate & Angel of Sanctions Show
I ideally can't have my Commander to take out a Planeswalker and reduce their clock against an opponent. That extra turn could give them the opportunity they needed to turn the tables. In situations where I'm set back, the plethora of utility dorks my creature base is made of don't have the raw power to punch a Planeswalker to death in one attack. The better Planeswalkers are also quite adept at protecting themselves with blockers or their controller have ample defenses set up beforehand. Sometimes combat just isn't feasible for quickly killing a Planeswalker.
Aura of Silence's taxing ability becomes increasingly less effecting the longer the game goes. I've used it before and eventually replaced it.
Karmic Guide was in the deck before and I dropped it, as I didn't need so much creature recursion. I'm even recently having thoughts about Reveillark's role in the deck given the versatility of Sun Titan and the easy access to Sword of Light and Shadow this deck has.
Serra Ascendant & Transcendent Master Show
Transcendent Master is, above all other reasons, is in the deck because it's a Pet Card. It's slow and would be ineffective if I was ever in a competitive meta, but I adore the card too much to ever let it go. That's not to say it's bad. An indestructible, lifelinking 9/9 will give any deck a hard time.
Wall of Reverence is not what this deck wants. I like to think that every creature has the potential to be a threat with Equipment. A defender can't do anything. And if I ever need an efficient blocker, I can slap Godsend on something.
Gisela, the Broken Blade and Baneslayer Angel are both just big beaters. Serra Ascendant and Transcendent Master trumps them both by being both bigger and cheaper. Keywords can always come from Equipment.