|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Angel
Each opponent who cast a spell this turn can't attack with creatures.
Each opponent who attacked with a creature this turn can't cast spells.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||sonnet666 , geazykagar , Crimson6 , mziter501 , VGJustice , Justinaut , Psycheretic , Spinalripper , jhTheMan99 , pskinn01 , Supremespeed , MoJoMiXuP , rakdos24 , , MattN7498|
|Want (3)||samuelianstorm , acbooster , vashaclarens|
Angelic Arbiter Discussion
1 week ago
For some combos, Leyline of the Void interacts very, very nicely with Helm of Obedience. There's also Energy Field + Rest in Peace to basically prevent you from taking damage until either one of the two enchantments are removed.
1 week ago
Hey, looks like you already got some great advice I'll add just a bit. If you are up against competitive combo decks I think MLD and hate cards are the way to go. Depending on the combos cards like Rule of Law, Aura of Silence, Chancellor of the Annex and Angelic Arbiter are all pretty good. You could also add in Leyline of the Void, Stony Silence, Null Rod, Cursed Totem, Thorn of Amethyst, Damping Matrix, etc etc to hate on specific decks. Anyways, hope that helps!
P.s. Sneak Attack as a back up to Kaalia might not hurt either.
1 week ago
Hello fellow Magic players! I have recently started brainstorming on a budget esper colored deck revolving around the gun ability of Royal Assassin with the snagging of creatures with Adarkar Valkyrie. Looking to make it control based maybe putting in creatures like Grand Abolisher, Daxos of Meletis, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, and maybe Angelic Arbiter to tax the opponents and limit what they can do while I kill and take creatures they put out. Looking for other possibilities of things to put in it. Any preferences and opinions are greatly appreciated!
1 month ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.
1 month ago
You can check out the version I built after getting lots of tips from this site.
It has worked well in lots of games I have played.
1x Akoum Refuge
1x Blood Crypt
1x Bloodfell Caves
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Boros Garrison
1x Command Tower
1x Evolving Wilds
1x Godless Shrine
1x Molten Slagheap
1x Nomad Outpost
1x Orzhov Basilica
1x Rakdos Carnarium
1x Rogue's Passage
1x Rupture Spire
1x Sacred Foundry
1x Scoured Barrens
1x Temple of Malice
1x Temple of Triumph
1x Vivid Crag
1x Vivid Marsh
1x Vivid Meadow
1x Volrath's Stronghold
1x Wind-Scarred Crag
1x Lavaclaw Reaches
1x Needle Spires
1x Shambling Vent
1x Temple of Silence
1x Akroma, Angel of Fury
1x Angel of Despair
1x Angelic Arbiter
1x Archfiend of Depravity
1x Aurelia, the Warleader
1x Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1x Baneslayer Angel
1x Basandra, Battle Seraph
1x Bladewing the Risen
1x Bloodgift Demon
1x Boros Guildmage
1x Dragonlord Kolaghan
1x Duergar Hedge-Mage
1x Fallen Angel
1x Flamerush Rider
1x Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1x Lightning Mauler
1x Mana-Charged Dragon
1x Master of Cruelties
1x Mother of Runes
1x Oros, the Avenger
1x Razorjaw Oni
1x Resolute Archangel
1x Rune-Scarred Demon
1x Shattered Angel
1x Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
The Vows could be removed for:
1 month ago
I think I would work on cutting down the aura's in place of creatures so that you have more ammo for Kaalia. Kaalia tends to want to be play pretty. Having protection for her is great as she will definitely be a target but if you have no ammo for her she is just a 2/2 flyer. Some of the nastier creatures I like with Kaalia are Rakdos the Defiler. Since you will be cheating him in with Kaalia, attackers will already be declared so you will not have to sac any permanents and generally in most cases your biggest threat will be sacing half of theirs. Just don't attack with him later. He is a reliable blocker though. Iona, Shield of Emeria can slow your opponents down if they share colors or completely hose a deck that favors one color heavily or is mono-colored. Balefire Dragon is awesome cause it can creature wipe someone's board along with being a fatty flyer. Angel of Serenity is versatile as it can get creature back from your yard or get rid of some pesky blockers. While not cheatable with Kaalia, Iroas, God of Victory helps keep your creatures alive when attacking and provides some evasion. Angelic Arbiter forces your opponents to really think out their plays and can force some mistakes on their part. And of course Avacyn, Angel of Hope cause who doesn't want indestructible permanents? If you decide to include some MLD she is particularly nasty and if your MLD resolves you most likely win. Master of Cruelties for sure. For removal I would focus on 1-2 drop spot remove like Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile and some enchantment based remove to get ride of things like Ghostly Prison. Banishing Light, Oblivion Ring comes to mind. Darksteel Mutation is a good way to cripple someone's Commander. Four mana creature wipes are good as well Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation I would include maybe 2 of the higher costed wipes like Austere Command or Merciless Eviction.
Necropotence is a good way to keep your hand loaded with ammo for Kaalia. Quicksilver Amulet can be a back up plan as well as your creatures are going to be fairly expensive to hard cast. Amulet of Vigor is beautiful with Kaalia as it lets you untap all the creature you cheat in with her and lets you run the bounce lands with out as much draw back.
Spells and enchantments that give you extra combat phases are good too.. Savage Beating is one I like for Kaalia.
1 month ago
Looking nice so far!! Here are some suggestions from my experience, fellow Kaalia player :)
As far as creatures go, pretty much just play the ones you like!
Some less-budget suggestions: Master of Cruelties, pretty much instant kill if they have no blockers. Rune-Scarred Demon, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Aurelia, the Warleader, Lord of the Void, Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Gisela, the Broken Blade. Those are some of my favorites. A little heavier on the budget but super fun!
Mid-budget options: Ob Nixilis, Unshackled, Platinum Angel, Anya, Merciless Angel, Mana-Charged Dragon, Rakdos, Lord of Riots, Angel of Despair, Mother of Runes, Deathless Angel, Hellkite Tyrant, Tariel, Reckoner of Souls, Blinding Angel, Overseer of the Damned, Akroma, Angel of Fury.
More budget-friendly options: Angel of Serenity, Angelic Arbiter, Indulgent Tormentor, Reya Dawnbringer, Harvester of Souls, Bloodgift Demon, Exquisite Archangel, Herald of the Host (For multiplayer), Angelic Skirmisher, Bruna, the Fading Light (to pair with Gisela), Seraph of the Sword, Guardian of the Gateless.
There are obviously numerous options as far as creatures go. Those are a couple of mine. But don't go off just what other people say- if you don't like the feel of killing someone outright with Master of Cruelties, don't get him! If you want to play a little more defensive you can run Seraph of the Sword and Guardian of the Gateless or something! Just play what you want to! :)
Not really sure about the curses. I personally probably wouldn't run them, but they seem fun!
Dragon Tempest is a good include. Give all your fliers haste!
You definitely want ramp, and I see you have some. The appropriate signets, Commander's Sphere, Darksteel Ingot, probably the cluestones (They can draw you cards, which is usually more useful than getting a small creature until end of turn, as with the keyrunes).
If you're going to spend a little more, the check lands like Clifftop Retreat and Dragonskull Summit are great. Scry lands such as Temple of Malice and be very useful. Obviously fetchlands and shocklands are good, but not friendly to the budget at all. I don't think they're worth it sometimes. But everything is up to you! :)
Hopefully these suggestions help! I've said it a lot, but play whatever you think will be the most fun for you! Good luck in the building process- I'll be following along to see how it goes! :)
1 month ago
Angelic Arbiter Flameblast Dragon Bastion Protector Reaper from the Abyss Malfegor Scourge of Valkas Hoard-Smelter Dragon Gisela, Blade of Goldnight Gisela, the Broken Blade Bruna, the Fading Light Iona, Shield of Emeria Angel of Finality Best of luck. Kaalia is rather fun.