|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Angel
Whenever another non-Spirit creature dies, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Requiem Angel Discussion
6 days ago
Looking back on this in comparison to your older deck, I can see that there's reason why you're straying away from stronger effects, but I do think you've gone a little too far. Your existing effects do indirectly helpful things like draw cards, but it doesn't seem to me like you're doing anything that sets up a viable winning state. If you've already found cards in that deck that DO give you that, though, I'd love to hear about it!
1 week ago
Hey Captain, how's the deck coming along? There's another infinite combo to consider adding and it's powerful with many different cards in the deck including Teysa:
- Leonin Relic-Warder + Animate Dead + Zulaport Cutthroat or Blood Artist or Falkenrath Noble or equivalent = infinite life loss of opponents and you gain life. Warden and Animate is a two card infinite dies triggers loop and their both two drops.
How it works:
- Warden has to be in your graveyard, but that is not difficult with all the sac outlets or Buried Alive .
- Cast Cutthroat or have him already on the battlefield. Cutthroat or equivalent needs to be on the battlefield before you create the dies loop.
- Cast Animate and animate Warden. When Warden ETB target Animate and exile it. This now creates a loop of sacing Warden and reanimating it with Animate. It's a dies loop because when Animate leaves the battlefield you sac the creature that it was enchanting. Since you enchanted Warden with Animate this lets Warden exile Animate thus it leaves the battlefield. When Animate leaves the battlefield Warden is saced and when Warden leaves the battlefield Animate comes out of exile back onto the battlefield able to reanimate Warden who's in the graveyard.
It's a dies loop since Warden is being saced over and over again by Animate; it's dying therefore this is infinite dies triggers from Cutthroat. Warden has a leave the battlefield ability and if this ability happens as a result of him dying then he will trigger Teysa meaning double triggers from any dies abilities you have on the battlefield from this loop.
Other than Cutthroat doing infinite opponent life loss, add any other powerful card with a dies ability that triggers when other creatures die or a sac outlet. Here's some examples:
- Pawn of Ulamog : infinite Eldrazi tokens, infinite colorless mana.
- Pitiless Plunderer : infinite treasures, infinite color mana of any color.
- Grim Haruspex or Harvester of Souls : draw your deck and find Reliquary Tower . Tower is a land to consider because of Skullclamp which can draw a ton of cards.
- Requiem Angel : infinite 1/1 Spirit tokens.
- Elenda, the Dusk Rose : infinite +1/+1 counters.
- Ashnod's Altar : infinite colorless mana by using Warden as continuous sac fodder.
- Blasting Station : infinite damage to opponents because Warden is constantly ETB which untaps Station.
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded : lots of tutor effects paying 2 life each time Warden is saced.
You can break the loop easily which is important. As long as there's another creature in any graveyard you can target it with Animate. When Warden dies and Animate comes out of exile and back onto the battlefield target a different creature in a graveyard, not Warden. Best not to create the loop unless you can break it :)
Using or adding a sac outlet to the loop is also good. Adding for example Razaketh, the Foulblooded lets you have a lot of tutor effects by paying 2 life each time you sac Warden which can be over and over again. Razaketh's sac trigger can be used at instant speed thus you can target Warden while the loop is happening and use him as sac fodder to tutor for lots of cards. Warden is going to die anyway and when he does back onto the battlefield Animate comes to reanimate him so it doesn't matter how Warden gets into the graveyard when he has Animate in exile. Razaketh is another reason to add Buried Alive because if you get him into your graveyard you can reanimate him faster with Karmic Guide . Letting you begin the process of tutoring for all the combo pieces starting with Warden.
1 week ago
Want some quick ramp? Cabal Stronghold is a great ramping land that works similar to the pricier Cabal Coffers . Card draw and a sack outlet on a budget? try the simple Vampiric Rites . Not a free sack, but its simple, cheap, and you gain a card draw in black without losing life. If you want to go infinite on cheap, try using Requiem Angel , a free sac outlet, one of the life draining cards I recommended (it'll be easier with Zulaport since it affects everybody), and a single non-Spirit creature with your Divine Visitation.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Grundy819 This is pretty rad to toss in another color to go with the theme and have Teysa as a hidden commander. I'm intrigued by the idea of changing creature types to get added benefits. If you're using something like Unnatural Selection I really like the idea of pairing that with Requiem Angel and changing the spirits to another type to keep them coming back. Kinda has a Teysa, Orzhov Scion + Darkest Hour synergy, though not quite as awesome.
Anyway, your idea is intriguing, because combos to me are better if the deck has a formula that can work with a variety of pieces and not depend on any specific piece. And obviously, your aim is the use them all as petitioners. I which I think works. Your idea I think makes it so that you have other victory routes, which is more interesting than just a simple petitioners deck.
3 weeks ago
I mean if it works better in your play groups then do it! I just love Twilight Drover + Teysa, Orzhov Scion a lot! It helps me in slower games and I can't wait to see it work with Teysa Karlov . Oh I think I forgot to mention Requiem Angel since she only cares about it being a spirit or not, you don't seem to have any spirits besides the dragons. So Elendra's vampires, Wurmcoil's wurms, if you ever run Army of the Damned etc. I know you aren't as token focused as I am though. I think Vampiric Rites would be good in this.
1 month ago
Oh yeah, you’re right. Thanks for the correction. It still results in the same outcome, but having the correct ruling for why is important. I’ll go back and fix that later.
Thanks for the praise! There really wasn’t a good explanation anywhere for Ghave’s possible combos and how they worked, so I decided to write one myself. I actually want to go back and rework the Combo Explanations section and make sure I’ve covered every kind of combo (but not every possible substitute combination because that would be ridiculous). I put a lot of value on aesthetics, so hopefully the Primer is pleasant to look at and easy to follow.
Your card suggestions are good, but consider what I would have to cut to include any of them. I’m going for efficiency, so a card would have to have more potential uses than what it’s replacing to merit a spot. I like Corpsejack Menace even though Doubling Season does his job and more. The question is how many combos does it allow, and can it replace something that has fewer so as to increase the deck’s combo synergy?
Butcher Ghoul has been considered before. In fact it was part of the list at one point, though I don’t remember what replaced it. Again the question is whether another undying creature would benefit the deck more than what is already in the mainboard.
Dictate of Erebos used to be beside Grave Pact and was removed for more ways to abuse the combos. Hardened Scales would be good if I can justify a cut, but I’m not feeling Requiem Angel . The cost is a bit high for what it does, and I don’t see it benefitting the deck as much as my current combo abusers.
Seriously, though, thanks for the kind words. That you said it’s the best you’ve seen means a lot!
1 month ago
Corpsejack Menace needs to come out of the Maybeboard into the Mainboard ASAP. It's one of the most powerful combo pieces there is with Ghave . It's right up there with Cathars' Crusade and Champion of Lambholt . That good.
This deck is really well done. :-)
Requiem Angel occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.06%
W/B (Orzhov): 0.66%