|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Future Sight (FUT)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Rat
Shadow (This creature can block or be blocked by only creatures with shadow.)
Whenever Stronghold Rats deals combat damage to a player, each player discards a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Stronghold Rats Discussion
2 weeks ago
Right now while the demons can certainly impact the board they don't have as much synergy with the rest of the deck. By focusing on the rats, the deck as a whole functions more smoothly. They are however your best out at present if the board begins to stall (marrow gnawer also does the trick). As a result I'm actually not entirely sure what's best here.
Also i forgot to mention it before but Stronghold Rats is an interesting option.
1 month ago
Thanks for the comments.
chadsansing - Tainted Strike could be awesome. I'll try to get my hands on one, and do the same with the Lilies. I have a Phyrexian Reclamation so I'll test that out as I often run out of gas in the late game and it would help a lot.
multimedia - Filth, Profane Command and Oblivion Stone all seem like great cards to add eventually. For some reason Lashwrithe doesn't appeal to me, but I don't know why. And I have Stronghold Rats, so they'll definitely be going in.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
1 month ago
Hey, very interesting deck. Mono-Black is sure fun.
I have a few suggestions:
Filth is great in combination with Urborg to give all your creatures swampwalk, making them unblockable. Lash is a powerful artifact for mono-black. Rats is like a Specter except it has shadow instead of flying all players discard when it does combat damage to a player.
Stone is another way mono-black can deal with artifacts and enchantments. It's kind of important and was just reprinted in Iconic Masters it's price is down to $6.
39x land is a lot of land especially when 29x of it are swamps. Consider only 36x land?
Good luck with your deck.
5 months ago
Not Tomer, but I'm watching the stream! In a multiplayer format, focusing on abilities that hit multiple opponents will serve you much better than single shot effects like Bloodhusk Ritualist.
Earsplitting Rats, Miasmic Mummy, Rotting Rats, & Sibsig Icebreakers are more good ETB creatures. Since you're also running Merchant, a Conjurer's Closet can get you a lot of value. Stronghold Rats is nice consistent discard with damage. With your Commander, all this discard is not a hindrance at all to you.
5 months ago
Syphon Mind effects are better than making one player discard. The Unnerve in your maybe board is almost always going to be better than Despise since you're going against multiple people. Other cheap discard option are Miasmic Mummy, Rotting Rats, Sibsig Icebreakers, Cunning Lethemancer, Bottomless Pit, and Stronghold Rats. Waste Not is a few bucks right now, but is so much value for you.
9 months ago
chaosumbreon87, Um... you missed the bit where you're wrong on more than half of that...
Bontu the Glorified - T4. Sac outlets are good when they affect the board or give you card advantage. If I wanted this effect I'd play Zulaport Cutthroat and only have to pay once. Also, if I wanted a commander that's just a sac outlet in the command zone, Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim is way better. (Hell, even Yahenni, Undying Partisan is better.)
Oketra the True - T4. I don't understand how people are slapping a T5 label on her when Heliod, God of the Sun is T4. They're practically the same, but with warriors instead of clerics. (Also Oketra doesn't get a neat interaction with Skybind, which is sad, but it can't be helped.)
Temmet, Vizier of Naktamu - T5. Good colors but literally no effect on the game.
Neheb, the Worthy - T4. Even if he's just a Stronghold Rats in the command zone, stripping your opponents' hands while setting up madness and reanimation is good a 3 mana. I play all of the following in black, Oppression, Necrogen Mists, & Bottomless Pit, so Neheb should be able to function just fine.
Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons - Tentatively T2.5. Even if you just load up on tutors, stall and draw with snake tokens, and try to combo out, being half of a low-cost infinite combo in the command zone is good competitive points.
Hotcake_Gotsyrup: I mean, it doesn't stop all infinite combos, but that's a good way to look at it. Are there any Hatebear/Stax commanders in red that would like this guy?
9 months ago
DeckedGuru, While I don't think you're going in the wrong direction, you listed a lot of sup-par cards right there:
- Anthem of Rakdos, Gratuitous Violence is practically the same thing, but all the time.
- Grave Upheaval is a highly overpriced effect when Reanimate, Dance of the Dead, Animate Dead, Necromancy, Coffin Queen, Feldon of the Third Path, and Dread Return all exist, and Dread Return even functions from the graveyard.
- Dark Withering, just because discard is your theme doesn't mean you have to include mediocre removal spells just because they fit your theme. You don't see me running Irradiate in my artifact decks for the same reason. Dark Withering can basically only be cast when you can discard a card, making it a pseudo-sorcery, and is outclassed by other all around good removal in these colors, like Terminate, Tragic Slip, and Malicious Affliction.
- Kolaghan's Command, I know it's a beast in 60 card formats, but all of those modes are pretty useless in EDH, except the artifact removal, but that's outclassed by Shattering Spree, Vandalblast, and Goblin Welder.
- Library of Leng, capitalizing on the cards you're discarding being in the graveyard is a million times better than basically guaranteeing you're not going to draw any new cards.
- Pain Magnification, this one is actually pretty good, but this is a friendly reminder that Larceny exists and is amazing.
- Megrim, Liliana's Caress, and Quest for the Nihil Stone, unless you have a full set of Wheel of Fortune effects, these guys end up having way less of an impact than you'd think they do in a 40 life format. Same goes for The Rack. Bloodchief Ascension on the other hand, is typically strong enough to include anyway.
- Necrogen Mists, this one's also not bad, but you forgot all of its siblings: Bottomless Pit, Oppression, Stronghold Rats, and Creeping Dread.
As far as the hellbent theme goes, I wouldn't focus too much on it, since Neheb's effect isn't that great, and there are only two hellbent card worth including, which also aren't that great... Instead if you focus on just capitalizing on the cards you're throwing in the graveyard and stripping away your opponent's hands, then you can still draw lots of cards without being counter to your main strategy. Stuff like Geth's Grimoire and Phyrexian Arena can keep you flush while your opponents struggle to have things to play, and Mask of Memory fits really nicely here since our commander is low cost and is going to be attacking.
10 months ago
Rotting Rats I think would be better. Again, the ETB thing is nice and Unearth gives you another way to get them in. Stronghold Rats is another card, since it will be guaranteed to hit. Sure its not "at random", but it also fuels yourself. I really like Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip. One really fun thing I did was sac Viscera Seer to itself, flip Lilly, then used her -X to return Seer. Or I mean you can do stuff like this at EOT, flip her and then hopefully use the +2 rather than the minus.