|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Zombie
Menace (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
When Relentless Dead dies, you may pay . If you do, return it to its owner's hand.
When Relentless Dead dies, you may pay . If you do, return another target Zombie creature card with converted mana cost X from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Relentless Dead Discussion
6 days ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
1 week ago
saturn999 Good advice. I dropped the Dread Shade s to the maybeboard, and added another Phyrexian Arena . I dropped the Relentless Dead down to one though, and put in 3 Bloodghast s. The synergy with Lili is way too good, i'll have to play it to see which is better. Maybe I ought to do a 2/2 split. Thanks for the wall of text btw!
2 weeks ago
This will sound bad, but you will want cheap, mediocre zombies. Dread Wanderer and Stitcher's Supplier have slightly niche abilities, but having zombies low on your curve is key to allowing you to abuse Varina's amazing card filtering ability. For 2-drops, Blood Scrivener , Graveyard Marshal , Metallic Mimic , Mummy Paramount , Nightscape Familiar , Relentless Dead , Wight of Precinct Six and Withered Wretch all have some decent abilities. Some of them are just efficient beaters, while others serve as reanimation, lords, token production, card draw and ramp, as well as graveyard hate, which is very important to have in an edh deck. Here is my list if you want to check it out.
3 weeks ago
Sideboard: Keep your Shamble Back - it will be clutch against Siege Rhino . Keep Tainted Remedy as well. Move Relentless Dead to the mainboard or cut it completely. Cut everything else unless you really want to mainboard something. Add 1-2x Ghost Quarter , (great against Tron) 1-2x Pithing Needle (Will be helpful against planeswalkers and some artifacts (think Expedition Map !) and some enchantments (think Freed from the Real !), 1-2x Ratchet Bomb (Another way to get rid of nasty enchantments and artifacts), 1x Elixir of Immortality (life gain and anti-Turbo Fog/Mill), 2-3xGrey Merchant of Asphodel would probably be effective lifegain in the sideboard.
Probably a board wipe of some kind would be good in the sideboard. Bontu's Last Reckoning is what I'd suggest, but there are lots of other options here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mh-board-wipe/ Killing Wave might also work. Smallpox could be decent, too, provided you can sac and discard zombies you can cast from the graveyard. If you do add some Smallpox, you'll probably want to add 3 lands, maybe even 4.
3 weeks ago
hell yeah +1. I play MBD as well and it was my first serious deck when I first got into Magic as well. If anything, 1 more Phyrexian Arena could help just because the card draw is so good! It's drawn me so many answers and the life lost doesn't hurt because we're playing lifegain. Either way, rad deck. I like Gatekeeper of Malakir as well but only when I'm playing against a deck that plays minimal creatures. He shines in that matchup. Idk, maybe drop the Dread Shade add 1x Phyrexian Arena and 1x Relentless Dead ? Keep me posted, would love to hear how you're doing with the deck. Got a modern tourney tomorrow and playing this deck Horror Business/// Mono-Black Midrange. So exciting. Take care, sorry for the wall of text! !
3 weeks ago
You have a lot of sorceries. They're not necessarily bad, but they are taking up space where zombies could be. You can get rid of innocent blood (use fleshbag marauder instead), aether snap, twilight's call, life's finale
You don't really need vensor's journal or whispersilk cloak. You don't really have big creatures that do anything on combat damage to a player.
For instants I think tendrils of corruption, grasp of darkness, murder, go for the throat, and doom blade do well in mono black
And you got some jank creatures. What is that vulture? no. No dross hopper, no gangrenous zombies, no zombie brute, gutless ghoul is kind of crap, you have a lot of things with activated abilities and I just don't think you're going to be using them that much.
You also don't have card draw. You have a sign in blood and that's it really. Black has some good pay with life card draw cards.
You have the sanguine bond/exquisite blood combo, but your sanguine bond is completely useless. You don't gain any life except from vensor's journal and you don't have much card draw, so it's not going to do much.
Good zombie cards to add: Fleshbag Marauder (so good with mikaeus) Ghoulcaller Gisa Ghoulraiser Graf Harvest Grave Betrayal Grave Defiler Graveborn Muse Gravecrawler Infernal Caretaker josu vess Liliana's Mastery Lord of the Accursed Maalfeld Twins Necromancer's Stockpile Necromantic Selection Noosegraf Mob Open the Graves Grave Titan Liliana's Reaver Cadaver Imp Corpse Connoisseur Accursed Horde Archdemon of Unx cemetary recruitment Cryptbreaker Diregraf Colossus Doomed Dissenter Empty the Pits (is hilarious) Ever After Overseer of the Damned Plague Belcher Rakshasa Gravecaller Relentless Dead Risen Executioner Rot Hulk Shepherd of Rot Stir the Sands Zombie Infestation
I think I have some of these. You can have them if I do
1 month ago
This could be a slick Mono-Black list. Probably a mono-black devotion deck. Gray Merchant of Asphodel , Geralf's Messenger , and Relentless Dead as a mini-zombie theme, Gatekeeper of Malakir , Bloodghast , and Kitesail Freebooter s to finish up the creature-base, with seriously high-value creatures, all of which add to devotion, and the rest of the mainboard can be removal like Fatal Push , Disfigure , Echoing Decay , Go for the Throat , etc. as well as discard in the forms of Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek .
A sideboard filled with Duress against control (as though they could surive your onslaught of discard and recursive threats in the mainboard), Leyline of the Void against dredge and phoenix, Fulminator Mage against tron, Whip of Erebos for needed midrangy lifegain and recursion shenanigans, and whatever suits your meta, be it Ratchet Bomb against artifacts, tokens, or enchantments you find troublesome, Night of Souls' Betrayal for anti-swarm, Phyrexian Arena / Dark Confidant if you need some more grind, etc.
2 months ago
If your mostly playing multiplayer then the games will tend to run a bit longer... I'd be tempted to replace Reassembling Skeleton with Relentless Dead, he can bring one of your non recurring zombies back when he dies and gives you another zombie...
Relentless Dead occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%