|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Rare|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Put a charge counter on Ratchet Bomb.
, Sacrifice Ratchet Bomb: Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on Ratchet Bomb.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (35)||ironax , Mousemke , golgarigirl , redlegs_17 , pskinn01 , Lindough , carsickpanda273 , ecurps , geazykagar , accioali , pokemate0 , , sonnet666 , jrschnoebelen , Nemesis , Dr.Ache , Spinalripper , dplerner , Sparky41 , Snydog17 , zn.tportlock , Venser_the_Sojoner , CampbellStev , philktoken8998 , vashaclarens , , Swamy , rakdos24 , Ashy , Benniator , DudeMan1031 , , TheRealPeaches , Dr.Jackel , REV666|
|Want (2)||samuelianstorm , Dadaman11|
Ratchet Bomb Discussion
3 days ago
DrukenReaps covered the mana issue pretty well. The other suggestion that I'd make for a deck with this high of a CMC is that you probably want more ramp sources or mana rocks. Commander's Sphere and Dimir Signet are both great here. You might also consider replacing Temple of the False God with a basic. You're really color-intensive and don't have a lot of land ramp, so it's at high risk of not actually doing much good in this deck.
To expand a little on narrowing the tribes... I don't think you necessarily have to cut down what tribes are in your deck. However, if you aren't running at least 25 creatures of a tribe, tribal support cards like Crucible of Fire and Door of Destinies are simply bad. You frequently have to take a turn off to play them, so if they're not going to do some reasonable work right away, they're probably worse than a basic land. Kindred Dominance is going to hit so much of your own stuff that you're likely better off playing something like Languish, Crux of Fate or Blasphemous Act instead.
Along those lines, given your high average CMC, loading up on more reasonably-cheap board wipes is probably a good idea. If it's going to take you a while to get going, being able to control the board in the early game is really important. If your opponent has a field full of elves, slamming Butcher of Malakir or Stormsurge Kraken without clearing the board first isn't going to save you.
As for a few cards that you might consider cutting:
- You're really not running enough instants/sorceries to support Mizzix of the Izmagnus in the 99. Mizzix is great, but he really needs a dedicated spellslinger deck to shine. Talrand, Sky Summoner suffers from much the same problem.
- Mindscour Dragon, Vela the Night-Clad and Archetype of Imagination all seem marginal to bad here (with their effects either being redundant or not really big enough for their mana cost). You might consider just slotting some of the decent dragons like Hellkite Charger, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury, Steel Hellkite, Shivan Dragon or Ryusei, the Falling Star.
- Vapor Snag and Dark Betrayal are both pretty bad in EDH. The former represents major card disadvantage in multiplayer. If you're looking for more bounce effects, you might consider Capsize (although I don't think this is really a Capsize deck). Ratchet Bomb is also a little iffy in a format with such a broad range of CMCs on the table. Unless there are a lot of tokens in your meta, it's probably not worth it.
- Cartouche of Knowledge is probably worse than just Ponder.
- Lord of Shatterskull Pass requires you to pump 16 mana in to it and survive to attack before it does anything, almost certainly not worth it.
- Black Market may end up being pretty good due to Marchesa, or not very good since you have a lot of big creatures. I don't think this is immediately a cut, but keep a close eye on how it performs.
- Torment of Hailfire and Torment of Scarabs are also worth keeping an eye on. I feel like you're probably not going to be producing enough mana for Hailfire to do enough work, and Scarabs is limited by only targeting one opponent. They seem like good options to consider cutting in favor of more land.
1 week ago
One great stax piece that would really hurt opponents but parity would be broken for you is Trinisphere.
Hedron Crawler, Manakin, Millikin, Skittering Invasion, Blinkmoth Urn, Lotus Bloom, Mox Diamond, Lotus Vale, Sword of the Animist and Urza's Incubator can be used for fast ramp into emr options. Urza Tron could also be run here you do have some tutor for it.
all may be worth looking into :)
Very nice list man Emrakul needs more EDH love
3 weeks ago
The reason I say you need more ramp isn't to get out more creatures, it's so that you can get your commander out and then pay his ability 2 two 3 times that same turn on another creature. I played the other night where I had 2 cats plus my commander on board before my turn, my turn came and I was able to cast Arahbo's activated ability three times on a 13 power cat (equipments) and three times my other cat who was a 5 power with double strike. I took out two of my opponents that turn and they each had a solid board presence (the third had just lost all his creatures and I came around my next turn and won). That activated ability is insane and getting to activate it at least once every turn without having to sacrifice casting your spells for it is incredible.
Try Harsh Mercy in your deck. It's incredibly cheap cost and not to buy a price right now. As long as your opponents aren't running tribal as well they will only get to keep one or two creatures on board unless they have a huge token presence. For them run Ratchet Bomb with no charge counters.
Protection I haven't given a ton of thought to only because I haven't gone up against a ton of single target removal, more board wipes and indestructible is best for that. Try some equipment for protection so you can keep using if your opponents ever get rid of your creature.
3 weeks ago
Another option to deal with many small/cheap creatures might be Killing Wave but I'm how effective it can really be.
The deck needs more dual lands, Llanowar Wastes would probably be the best reasonably-costing option.
1 month ago
Ok, after everyone's comments, here are my thoughts ...
GOOD MATCH-UPS (Bant Knightfall, UW Control, GBx Midrange, Jeskai Control, Death's Shadow): Mainboard is fine; no sideboard slots needed.
- Ancient Grudge, if I end up using some number of Trinisphere too.
- Ancient Grudge + Shatterstorm, if I don't use Trin'
- Obstinate Baloth (putting one back into the main) and Kitchen Finks (in the side)
- Maybe some Trinisphere.
- The more I think about it, the more I think Beast Within is the key. Say an opponent casts Scapeshift and sacrifices 7 Lands to fetch 6 Mountains (basics and non-basics) and a Valakut. All the Lands enter simultaneously and 6 Valakut triggers go on the stack. With the triggers on the stack, I kill a Mountain. The trigger from that Mountain will resolve and I'll take 3 damage. But the triggers from the other 5 Mountains fizzle, since "the ability will do nothing if [my opponent controls] fewer than 5 Mountains other than that new one by the time it resolves" (source).
- Beast Within is also superb against a resolved Primeval Titan.
- I might be able to catch an inexperienced pilot with Crumble to Dust, but an experienced pilot will wait until the last second (i.e., fetching them with Scapeshift) to play their Valakut. Crumble may still be worthwhile though ... partly for free wins against less experienced pilots, but mostly because hitting Stomping Ground will leave most decks with only 10 Mountains ... depending on the board state, that will often not be enough for lethal.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Engineered Explosives and Reclamation Sage to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
ELDRAZI AND Gx TRON:
- I'm excited to try Crumble to Dust here.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Ratchet Bomb, Nature's Claim, etc. to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
- Beast Within for Devoted Druid and Vizier of Remedies
- Anger of the Gods, for everything else.
- For Counters CoCo: Druid and Vizier demand answers. Renegade Rallier and Eternal Witness makes Exile effects much better.
- For Valuetown CoCo: 7x Manadorks, Ramunap Excavator, and Knight of the Reliquary complicate the Land Destruction plan.
- As with any White deck, I need to watch out for Blessed Alliance post-board. Burrenton Forge-Tender, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Reclamation Sage and Qasali Pridemage could make an appearance as well.
- 3x Trinisphere to slow them down or Eidolon of the Great Revel to kill them
- 1x Anger of the Gods for Goblin Electromancer and Baral, Chief of Compliance
The bottom line (for now anyways) ...
Main: 1x Obstinate Baloth
1 month ago
Unfortunately, no. I have not played in Canada, but I do live in California!
1 month ago
Given that your combo is permanent and creature heavy, you may be lacking in defense to get the combo off. I would reconsider Turn Aside somewhere in here. Fatal Push and Ratchet Bomb, two abundant sideboard staples, would be a problem for any one of your combo pieces. Even Apostle's Blessing might have a place as well if you're worried about non-targeting boardwipes.
1 month ago
A few ideas as a fellow 8racker. Collective Brutality either mainboard or sideboard is great vs storm and burn. Bontu's Last Reckoning is a great card vs aggo. Ratchet Bomb works against enhantments/artifacts/planeswalkers. You can always check out mine to see my (BW) take on the deck.