|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Faerie
Zephyr Sprite Discussion
2 months ago
Vendilion Clique is obviously a good card to play with a faerie deck. The price of this card it's too expensive to be played in a budget deck. That's the only reason I didn't add it into.
Faerie Impostor can be played in this deck too. I like to play card with flash when they have ETB effect, that's the main reason I excluded it. But, I think you can easily replace 2x Quickling with Faerie Impostor .
Thank you for your advices!
7 months ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking for help.
Consider expanding on the strategy of little creatures with evasion especially flying and adding extra turn spells? All my card suggestions will be budget ($5 or less each).
Cards to consider adding:
- Yavimaya Coast : ETB (enters the battlefield) untapped to make blue or green mana, great with so many one drop creatures.
- Botanical Sanctum ETB untapped turn one to turn three to make blue or green mana.
- Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive : makes all your creatures with 1 power or toughness unblockable.
- Hope of Ghirapur
- Artificer's Assistant
- Cloud of Faeries : untap two lands is great with lots of one drop creatures.
- Scryb Sprites
- Zephyr Sprite
- Faerie Miscreant
- Mausoleum Wanderer
- Looter il-Kor
- Llanowar Elves : mana dorks are nice for ramp and can become unblockable with Tetsuko.
- Elvish Mystic
- Eternal Witness : recur any card from your graveyard.
- Beast Whisperer : more good repeatable draw when casting so many little creatures.
- Skullclamp : most creatures here have 1 toughness making Clamp great backup draw.
- Unified Will
- Regrowth : recur any card from your graveyard.
- Karn's Temporal Sundering : works well when Edric is on the battlefield.
- Walk the Aeons : most expensive price card I'm suggesting, but the buyback is very helpful. It's not exiled after cast, it can be recurred.
- Part the Waterveil
Can add all these cards for about $30.
Cards to consider cutting:
- 4x Island
- 3x Forest
- Archetype of Imagination
- Jhessian Infiltrator
- Skyrider Patrol
- Tishana, Voice of Thunder
- Counsel of the Soratami
- Desert Twister
- Explosive Vegetation
- Venser's Journal
- Curious Obsession
- Curse of Verbosity
- Gaea's Anthem
- Kodama's Reach
40 lands is a lot of lands when playing so many one drops. Most of these possible cuts are draw spells. These spells are fine, but I don't think you need all of them because you have Edric. They can be replaced with more low CMC creatures to make Edric better. I also think extra turn spells give you more than these draw spells as well as other high CMC cards. Having an extra turn to attack thus draw again is very good with the strategy of attacking and drawing with Edric.
Good luck with your deck.
8 months ago
I suggest playing more 1 mana faeries ( Zephyr Sprite ) instead of Opt/Anticipate/Telltime to make sure you have a turn 1 play to set up for a t2 Spellstutter or Quickling. Eight 1-drop faeries is the minimum imo since if you're playing the tempo plan you want Spellstutter to be ready to counter something on turn 2 every time. It's also important to have little dudes to start chipping in early on, a couple points of dmg in the first turns can often mean the difference between winning and losing later.
In regards to the sideboard, you need Negate . Neither J's Defeat nor Flashfreeze can counter black spells, and black has some of the best removal in the format (which are played enough for you to worry about). They also can't counter Liliana. If you don't like Negate, Spell Pierce is also a good option since it's cheap.
10 months ago
and consider replacing with: Spellstutter Sprite, Sentinels of Glen Elendra, Nightveil Sprite, Nightshade Stinger, Mistbind Clique, Latchkey Faerie, Knacksaw Clique, Inspired Sprite, Glen Elendra Archmage, Fencer Clique, Faerie Trickery, Faerie Impostor, Faerie Artisans, Cloud of Faeries
1 year ago
A good alternative to Zephyr Sprite might be Faerie Impostor, it's still but it's a 2/1. I'd cream my shorts if it had flash, but it doesn't, though the attached bounce could still be useful, even if at sorcery speed.
1 year ago
So one quick way to cut cards is to take out everything that doesn't fit with your deck focus/theme. For example, cut all of the Goblins as they have nothing to do with Faerie tribal (which is what I assume your goal is). Also, it may seem beneficial to jam every relevant faerie into the deck, but you generally want your creatures to be impactful. Vanilla 1/1's like Zephyr Sprite and Moon Sprite don't really do much. There are a number of Faeries that you aren't running that may be better options than what you have here. I won't list them here, but just take a look at EDHrec's faerie tribal page and you can get a few ideas that might help you both cut cards and find good additions.
1 year ago
Hey veeonix, thank you for the advices and analysis. This is super interesting.
- Zephyr Sprite is really not impressive, and I would gladly cut it for basically anything. But it enables Spellstutter Sprite on turn 2 and there are very few playable 1 CMC faeries in modern unfortunately...
- Frankly I hesitated a lot for Favorable Winds main board, it is a very good lord here but it is also sorcery speed and a loss of tempo. I am not a fan of Metallic Mimic for the lack of evasion and the sorcery speed also, could be worth trying, tho'.
- For the lands, I must admit I completely forgot about Choke, I should clearly diversify the mana base. Secluded Glenis indeed a good inclusion that come into untapped. I would avoid Unclaimed Territory as it makes casting spells harder and all the pain lands as we tend to not have a lot of blockers and the loosing the race to ourself is a very real possibility.
- I like the idea of counting Faerie Conclave as a creature, I will try the full playset.
I also thought of Mutavault, it is technically a faerie and it comes in play untapped.
So there are indeed a lot of bouncing in that deck, to gain tempo by bouncing the opponent's stuff and saving my stuff, but I also bounce for value. Most of my creatures have ETB effects (Unsummon on Spellstutter Sprite the recast the sprite is a very common line of play), and the soft lock is basically my best out if the game gets long. This being said, may there are too much indeed. Dismember seems nice but I have a big doubt on paining myself for 4, depends on the matchups but it hurts. Pongify seems really bad because again I don't have many ways to block well and it seems to me like the best way to loose the race.
On the general balance I see the point on creature vs spell balance, but I don't really know what creature to add. Vendilion Clique is a clear answer but it is not super budget, should I add more Pestermite ? Maybe a third Mistbind Clique but 4 CMC is so much...
My sideboard makes no sense for sure, it is a bunch of random cards that I own already and that can be useful at some point. But I really have a hard time make it.
Thanks again for the comment, I will brew it some more, and come up with a new version.
No data for this card yet.