Wydwen, the Biting Gale
Legendary Creature — Faerie Wizard
(Blue)(Black), Pay 1 life: Return Wydwen, the Biting Gale to its owner's hand.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Wydwen, the Biting Gale Discussion
1 month ago
so the way I see it you're actually quite close (33 basic lands means 25 basic lands brings you up to 82)
- Zephyr Sprite (basic 1 drop flyer, but a 1 drop flyer is good on its own)
- Wydwen, the Biting Gale (3/3 flyer with an ability that gives you bounce to save itself or add faerie casts)
- Wasp Lancer (3 mana faerie flyer, that's it)
- Vendilion Clique (ok, pricey but a good way to say no to an incoming problem)
- Thieving Sprite (another way to say no to an incoming threat)
- Silkbind Faerie (untap effects are very exploitable, although often rare)
- Silkbind Faerie (easy to be a 3/3 flying vigilance for 3)
- Ringskipper (this one is kinda mostly filler but could be obnoxious to get rid of)
- Quickling (ok I think this is a diamond in the rough, 2 mana, get a body AND save a faerie from impending doom)
- Oona's Gatewarden (i know defender BUT WITHER IS SUCH A GOOD MECHANIC)
- Nightveil Sprite (2 mana 1/2 flyer that lets you look at the top card of your library, with the option to toss)
- Mistbind Clique (forcing your opponent into an all out play can create quite the opening, timing it before the end of a phase limits their options on what they can do with all that mana)
- Metropolis Sprite (With anthems that ability could be nasty, especially since early game flyers are often going unblocked)
- Knacksaw Clique (I hate myself for suggesting this monster of a card but even if you aren't stealing their cards, your permanently removing them and that's just nasty)
- Faerie Vandal (drawing 2 cards in a turn isnt hard in blue, so in many cases it will get +1/+1 every turn)
- Faerie Mechanist (counts as an artifact AND sifts for more)
- Fae of Wishes (that adventure lets you pull solutions out of thin air)
- Eye Collector (1/1 with a decent ability)
- Brazen Borrower (again not budget but another great adventure)
- Faerie Guidemother (1 drop white with an ok adventure option)
- Phyrexian Metamorph (clone that can hit artifacts always good, especially in EDH)
- Glorious Anthem (aka the namesake for all anthems)
- Dictate of Heliod (double anthem with flash)
- Marshal's Anthem (but pricey mana wise but potent)
- Kindred Boon (not an anthem but...it's a bit slow but indestructible is nasty)
- Kindred Discovery (also not an anthem but CAAAAAARRRRD DRAW)
- All That Glitters (potent aura in your deck, slap it on Alela for quick win)
- Mirrormade (MORE CLOOOOOONESSS but for artifact or enchantment)
- Bident of Thassa (caaaaaaaarrrrddd draaaaawwww)
- Skullclamp (mooooorrreeeee caaaard draaaaawwww)
- Smothering Tithe (this guy is broken in EDH)
- Coastal Piracy ( heavy breathing CAAAAAAAAAAARRRRDD DRAAAW)
- Blind Obedience (good control enchantment)
- insert every flavor of mana rocks here
- Mortify (reeeemoval)
- Path to Exile (more removal)
- Swords to Plowshares (did I mention removal is important)
- Generous Gift (echo echo echo)
- Vindicate (I remember when this was like a 20$ card)
- Ghostly Prison (the best defense is actually having defense)
- Utter End (hits anything but land and its gone for good)
- Disenchant (technically the OG naturalize)
- Diabolic Tutor (like demonic tutor only not 25$)
- Open the Vaults (wow that was a nasty Nevinyrral's Disk wouldn't it be a shame if it didn't stick)
- Propaganda (Ghostly Prison but blue)
- Sphere of Safety (ghostly prison but gets really out of hand fast)
- Darksteel Mutation (this card is evil)
- Imprisoned in the Moon (that’s a nice land ya got there)
- Frogify (MAKE THAT COMMANDER A FROG)
- Phyrexian Arena (card draw, but black)
- Aura of Silence (because only you can have artifacts and enchantments)
- Dispeller's Capsule (disenchant on a stick)
- Norn's Annex (phyrexian ghostly prison)
- Notorious Throng (TURN THAT PAIN INTO FRIENDS))
- Wrath of God (NUKE UM NUKE UM)
- Fumigate (Moooore NUUUKES)
- Oblivion Ring (say no, now with enchantments)
- Detention Sphere (kill all of one type of token, or remove all the sol rings, you know for shits and giggles)
- Karmic Justice (blow up my stuff i blow you up)
- Land Tax (ok not budget but reeeeaaaallly nice for lands outside of green)
- Grasp of Fate (o ring but for each opponent)
- Attrition (you should have tons of minions so sacking some for removal is value)
- True Conviction (one of my favorite big nasty enchantments)
- Akroma's Memorial (most of the times this hits the field it's over)
- Jace Beleren (og jace is nice)
2 months ago
9 months ago
1 year ago
Bonus points for Flash-flavor
1 year ago
Dankey: If you are looking for a BU sacrifice deck while controlling the stack then there are a few options. Muldrotha, the Gravetide is just a really busted card overall and if you like the oppressive features of the Sultai triple colors it will give you a lot of value. Dralnu, Lich Lord sounds like what you are looking for but he also has a very severe drawback considering things like Pyrohemia and even Anger of the Gods exist. Wydwen, the Biting Gale is a very safe and annoying option. Although her abilities aren't directly related to sacrificing permanents, you can dodge removal (Either theirs or your own) with her ability. tjalling: I always think there is room for improvement but I love this deck.
1 year ago
Illusionist's Bracers would greatly help out your commander's ability. Also, consider Training Grounds. You could also seriously use a Sol Ring and probably a Thran Dynamo to help accelerate your ability to use Oona. You also might want to consider Notorious Throng and Stinkdrinker Bandit to take advantage of the fact that you are creating a bunch of flying faerie rogues which are presumably attacking, especially the latter.
I'm not sure whether Wydwen, the Biting Gale is quite worth it in your deck, unless I'm missing something, so I'd consider dropping it.
Tohm on EDH 1st try
1 year ago
Hi, I am trying to build a deck for local multiplayer casual highlander and so far, I have this build with cards I was able to gather from my and my friends collection. It focuses on defense mostly, board control, wipes/bounces etc. The thing I am most unsure about is Wydwen, the Biting Gale as a commander - used her mostly because it was the only UB legend I could get so far :) I was thinking about replacing her with Dralnu, Lich Lord, even though he may be risky to play.
Any advice on the construction will be appreciated.
1 year ago
Interesting idea. As a Faerie Tribal EDH player, may I suggest a few changes to really go all out on the Faerie theme?
- Pitch 2x Spellstutter Sprite and replace with 2x Glen Elendra Archmage.
- Pitch 2x Spell Snare for 2x Disallow. Pitch the other 2 for 2x Spell Pierce.
- Pitch 2x Remand for 2x Faerie Trickery.
- Pitch 2x Ancestral Recall for 2x Brainstorm.
- Pitch 1x Fatal Push for 1x Faerie Tauntings.
- Pitch 1x Island for 1x Faerie Tauntings.
- Pitch 2x Wydwen, the Biting Gale for 2x Glen Elendra Liege.
- Pitch 4x Mutavault for 4x Faerie Conclave.
- Pitch 4x Darkslick Shores for 4x Secluded Glen.
I'd also recommend putting 3x Doom Blade in your sideboard, replacing the 3x Surgical Extraction with 3x Slaughter Pact, replacing the 3x Annul with 3x Stubborn Denial and the 3x Thoughtseize with 3x Notorious Throng.
Finding a way to get a couple of Faerie Impostor in there would be great too, as their requirement that you bounce a creature back to your hand is a great way to replay all those lovely ETB effects faeries like Vendillion Clique and Faerie Miscreant have. Maybe cut 1 Miscreant and 1 Scion?