|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Faerie Rogue
Flash (You may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.)
When Quickling enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you return another creature you control to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
2 weeks ago
Wow, I wasn't expecting you to still be following this deck. I just had a bit of a hiatus from Magic, so I don't have too much experience with the new meta.
For the most part, I've tested this deck against my brother's "fight deck" (mono-green aggro capitalizing on spells that say "fight" and heroic triggers). I've found that this deck doesn't have an endgame or finisher, so I think I'll need to splurge on 2-3 Mistbind Clique to fill that role. To make room, I'll cut a Quickling and 1-2 Familiar's Ruse since, if I have too many "return a creature you control" cards in my deck nothing is going to stay on the field.
Another comment/question: I stumbled upon Soul-Scar Mage and would like your opinion on if it's a better 1-drop than Faerie Miscreant. It doesn't receive any tribal benefits, but a cheap prowess creature is nice to have and the replacement effect of -1/-1 counters could allow for interesting plays, especially with cards such as Electrolyze against non-token decks.
Aside from that, over the next couple of days I'm going to test this against the Tier 1 decks "as is" to see what's missing and to polish the sideboard (which is really shaky). I may try testing this out at some point in development against a friend who uses Rocket Science. Obviously these matchups are stacked against me and aren't entirely representative of the FNM environment I'm more realistically going to be in, but I think it'll be enlightening on seeing my deck's shortcomings.
Also, thanks for the comment on the graveyard: is it that Bedlam Reveler puts too much weight on it? I'll probably end up cutting that when Faerie Miscreant comes, and I'm uncertain of how long Logic Knot will remain when I get a feel for the prevalence of grave hate, so really that leaves Rune Snag, which probably isn't worth boarding in major grave hate.
2 weeks ago
I really just need to cut something and I'm starting to think it might be Kor Cartographer. I appreciate your suggestions; thanks for the ideas.
1 month ago
1) No, your Avatar is not dead, it's in your hand. It was returned before the damage could be dealt.
2) The ability is countered due to lack of a legal target (fizzled). They cannot change the target to a legal one, it was already locked in.
This is entirely why cards like Quickling exist, to save your creatures and thwart your opponent's plans.
1 month ago
I'm sure this has been answered before but I want to clarify this scenario:
Combat damage is dealt, and as their goblins die they target my avatar with their extra damage effects. I play Quickling from my hand, returning my Avatar to my hand.
One: Is my Avatar dead? I assumed not, which leads to my next and more relevant question.
Two: Can my opponent direct the damage to another target after Quickling is played? They, looking rather frustrated. said they could and then chose to target my face with the 2 extra pings. Doesn't the damage just fizzle with their original target no longer being valid?
1 month ago
What about a full playset of Quickling as honorary ninjas?
Hear me out first!
The have some very big upsides (compared to the ninjas):
-They can be used at any time to save creatures (not only during declare blockers)
-Drawing multiples is like hitting the jackpot - it gives you an infinitely reusable chump blocker that has flying.
1 month ago
I would run some more aggressive cards as at the end of the day you are a kind of tempo deck looking to attack with flyers and counter your opponent's blockers. Even though you're on a budget there are still some strong choices like Scion of Oona (note that Faerie Impostor and Quickling don't say target) and Smuggler's Copter. I know Smuggler's Copter may seem like a weird choice, but trust me it is amazing (especially for the price) and I have never felt bad running it.
2 months ago
- Hymn of the Wilds (this card sucks in multiplayer. Every deck needs its instants and sorceries)
- Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast gold cards should fit an archetype or just be good, and this doesnt fit either category
- Ghost Council of Orzhova pretty bad actually
- Figure of Destiny I think your initial impression was right. Lets scrap it
- Magister of Worth white has enough wrath effects
- Tidehollow Strix no comment
- Arlinn Kord Flip I think Xenagos is better based on how the archetypes are shaping up
- Surrak Dragonclaw I think Maelstrom Wanderer fits the archetypes in temur better (spells, gruul beats and whatever simic does)
- Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile discourages attacks, even against other players, which is bad. If we had included Azorius hard control, stax or tax this card would be fine though
- Gustcloak Savior I dont think it does enough
- Herald of the Host Serra Angel isnt good enough for this format
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip pikers arent good enough in this format, and he sucks as a planeswalker I think
- Crescendo of War too slow
- Dusk / Dawn I think that ultimately there wont be a deck that really benefits from this
- Just a general note about white: we have too many pump effects. Lets cut a couple.
- Broodbirth Viper fine if the cube is lower power level, but its quite high now
- Quickling do we have a deck for this card?
- Serendib Efreet this card doesnt match up well against multiple opponents
- Reverse Engineer too narrow
- Should we include a few more morphs so that stratus dancer is less obvious? Maybe Willbender, Thousand Winds and Kheru Spellsnatcher? At least all these cards kick ass in multiplayer.
- Bloodghast only good in one deck, and even then, it requires some setup. I feel Reassembling Skeleton is a better option for the cube.
- Sly Requisitioner too narrow
- Triskaidekaphobia cute but too shitty
- Dark Confidant I realized this card will probably just kill you.
- Phyrexian Metamorph feel kind of stupid for missing this
- Spellskite maybe this sucks, I dunno
- Curse of the Swine
- Kheru Spellsnatcher
- Thousand Winds
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
- Waste Not
- Innocent Blood
- Bloodchief Ascension
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Reassembling Skeleton
I think our next task will be deciding which are the best 50 or so cards in each color from our pool. that should lay the groundwork for deciding which narrow cards (i.e., archetype-specific) cards we should include. Curious to hear your thoughts on cuts/additions!