Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
You and target opponent each draw three cards.
2 months ago
Secret Rendezvous is a shit card if you have other options. And in green, you have other options. It's only a good card draw option in mono white.
2 months ago
I like your build.
I think I would cut Secret Rendezvous and go with something like Rishkar's Expertise. You don't have to worry about cutting a deal with an opposing player, and it's likely you'll have a pretty high-powered creature to dray you a lot cards. Recent reprints have brought it down in price, and it should meet your budget.
4 months ago
I don't think Rendezvous is a terrible card, but you need to be in a more controlling color where you are not the threat at the perk is using it politically. Gloves are great, and are a second albeit inferior copy of Mask of Memory. We'll gladly take it though. Once we've equipped it it's pretty much a free card every turn from then on out.
I thought this would assuredly be the deck where the atlas, which has been endlessly sitting in my binder since I got that Commander 2014 precon, would be good. I've got to play it a bit and I don't like it. We have to spend four mana before we get a card, and then we're paying every time, and still will never get more than one per turn, something which isn't necessarily the case with Dawn of Hope. So why not just have a one mana card which can get either of my great draw equipment, or one of my fabulous swords? I'll never be disappointed in this card, and it's great to have in my opening hand.
4 months ago
The first is to not underrate vigilance, which a turn three Thraben Watcher gave to me for the whole of the second game. Some players have rated it as a junk ability, but it's strong when you give it to everyone, and we have several cards that do that. Even before Angelic Skirmisher got me to over 100 life in the second game I was pretty unattackable throughout because of my angelic attacker/defenders.
I also got to play Eye of Vecna for the first time and thought it was great. It immediately replaces itself, and you always have the option to pay the to draw the card since it comes right after untap. It sort of becomes like a Phyrexian Arena that we pay for with mana instead of life loss, which we'll take because we are in white. In the first game I had the mother of all draw cards in Well of Lost Dreams in my hand, but I could never find the free mana to cast it because I was under a clock to put my opponent away. I still think Well is incredibly good, but it makes me nervous about Vanquisher's Banner and reminds me of the importance of low cmc draw pieces.
I also did not like Secret Rendezvous, and will probably replace it with Rogue's Gloves before I play this again. This isn't because I am a detractor from Rendezvous generally, it a less aggressive deck it would be a good political card and welcome white draw piece. It is pretty hard to give cards to anyone in this deck where you will definitely be viewed as a threat. I'm surprised I haven't played Rogue's Gloves earlier. Once equipped it just gets us a free card every turn, and that's what we need. As good equipment becomes more and more relevant here, it makes me wonder if it might not be worth adding Steelshaper's Gift to the deck. At some point I am going to do a tutoring pass on the deck, and that card will be high on the list.
I've also pretty much planned for awhile to replace Eerie Interlude with Guardian of Faith. Interlude doesn't bring your counters back when you use it to save yourself from a boardwipe, whereas Guadian does, making it a superior card in that instance. Nonetheless, in this game I used Interlude to save my Angelic Skirmisher from targeted removal, which felt really good. As I continue to ponder this change it is helpful to remember that while interlude is worse in terms of board wipe protection it is better in terms of having utility to re-order counters if Giada is out, replay ETB creatures, or just protect from targeted removal.
In both games the engine set up well, I was a constant threat, and in the first game he only barely overcame me in the end with some lucky draws and really strong play sequencing. I was excited to play the deck against that friend, who is definitely the strongest player in my play group. As I plan further refining and revisions, I will definitely be prioritizing lowering the cmc of support pieces to two or three cmc as much as possible as I think that is key to success.
7 months ago
It could go grab a lot of staples I don’t see here: Boros Charm, Chaos Warp, Generous Gift, Path to Exile… You can also toss in Deflecting Palm as a nice middle finger to an unsuspecting opponent who thinks they’ve just won.
8 months ago
Hey, me again! I really like Breena, the Demagogue's premise. I want to build her in the future, since I'm cultivating a combat metagame. But I have some ideas that can make your deck funnier and stronger:
I imagine you're trying to keep the idea of giving gifts to your opponents for them to killing each other, while reaping benefits to you.
One way is to force combat. You might want to put Martial Impetus and Parasitic Impetus back to deflect attacks and get draws off Breena. (Too bad goad is a blue-red thing - come on Wizards, give us on other colors). Otherwise, they buff Breena to hit harder.
Another thing you should consider is protection for your creatures:
- Sejiri Shelter Flip and Malakir Rebirth Flip can be slotted as lands.
- Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Whispersilk Cloak, Darksteel Plate and Hammer of Nazahn are great utility artifacts.
- Timely Ward has flash.
- Dawn Charm doubles as a fog.
- Valorous Stance doubles as a removal spell.
How about protection to you?
- No Mercy, Dread, Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker and Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts deter attackers.
- Koskun Falls is a second Ghostly Prison if you can pay its upkeep cost. Solitary Confinement is even more efficient, as long as you can keep up with its cost.
- No one will mess with you again once you cast Hellish Rebuke. Darien, King of Kjeldor also shows them why attacking you is not advisable.
- If you prefer the way of taxing opponents, Sphere of Safety synergize with your other pillowfort enchantments.
- You run a lot of permanents that might die. How about getting them back with Sun Titan or Emeria Shepherd?
- Mistveil Plains has good synergy with tutors.
- Liesa, Forgotten Archangel also acts as graveyard hate.
About card draw:
- Breena costs 3 mana and it is easy to recast, but you can't rely on your opponents wanting (or being able) to attack each other. Sign in Blood, Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, Treacherous Blessing, War Room and Castle Locthwain can be great options (it is good to lower your life total to trigger Breena). Erebos, God of the Dead can also act as a blocker and life-gain hater.
- Skullclamp is good if you can reliably generate X/1 tokens.
- Syphon Mind is a favorite of mine.
- Mangara, the Diplomat... The name says it all. #bffBreena
- Shadrix Silverquill is not only on-theme, but on-school aswell.
- Endless Atlas and Dread Presence require many basic lands.
- The cards above can replace Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving and Secret Rendezvous (if they want free cards, may they attack each other).
About your ramp:
- I see you run cards that ramp you if an opponent has more lands than you, a la Knight of the White Orchid. Your Lotus Field is great for setting that up. You might also consider putting Orzhov Basilica back for the same effect.
- Loyal Warhound, Verge Rangers, Weathered Wayfarer, Archaeomancer's Map and Isolated Watchtower also capitalize on opponents ramping. I recommend replacing Boreas Charger (if you can't kill it easily), Scholarship Sponsor (not advisable to give ramp AND card draw to your opponents) and Oreskos Explorer (it is better to get lands on the battlefield instead of on hand, unless it is an unrestricted tutor like Weathered Wayfarer).
- If you ramp using the cards above, you will have a lot of Plains on the battlefield. Emeria, The Sky Ruin is free recursion on a land - enjoy ;-)
- You might also consider Fellwar Stone and Dowsing Dagger Flip as ramp options. Breena has flying, so it is easy to transform the artifact.
Sorry for not commenting on your whole deck. Since I have not played her myself, I could only suggest more general things. I hope the suggestions have inspired you somehow. As always, have fun with the Demagogue!
1 year ago
I think Sigarda's Splendor is the kind of thing white should have more of, along side investigate and tax effects.