Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Artifact Creature — Bird
Historic spells you cast cost less to cast. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)
slasherturtle on Equip Me Daddy
1 month ago
This will be long, probably.
The first thing I notice is your land base. It's pretty important for this deck to reliably get Jor out on turn 2 consistently, and you may be a bit short on lands for that. To that point, you also want to limit lands that tap for colorless or enter tapped to only the ones you absolutely need. While the lands that tap for both and enter tapped (like Alpine Meadow or Sacred Peaks) are nice for fixing, they are slow and ultimately it's up to you whether to run those or not. The biggest one that pokes out to me is Reliquary Tower. Not only does it only tap for colorless, I'm also not sure you're going to be drawing enough cards for it to be any better than a basic Plains or Mountain. I'd keep an eye out for Slayers' Stronghold and Sandstone Bridge in playtesting, depending on how often they go off they might also be worse than a basic. All in all though, land base is pretty good, you just need more. Maybe 2-3 more of each basic to get started and tweak from there.
I really like the amount of nonland cards that grab you lands you have (like Wayfarer's Bauble and Navigation Orb). They're better than Evolving Wilds and cheaper than fetch lands, but if you ever do get the chance to pack some fetches in here, I think you could take one or two of those out and replace them with some more equipment or creatures that like them. You can also never go wrong with adding a Solemn Simulacrum.
I really like almost all of your nonland cards and can think of very few cards I'd want to swap for better alternatives, but I think some are pretty safe cuts if you're trying to trim down to 100 cards.
Some of your Living Weapon cards are really expensive and don't do much other than make an equipped creature, but their cost is so high that you should already have enough to trigger Jor by the time you can even cast them. Others just feel like they won't impact the board enough to warrant a spot in the 99. The ones that stick out to me are:
Mortarpod, which takes up a 2 drop spot and conflicts with casting Jor
- Sickleslicer, which just feels a bit underwhelming
- Skinwing, which feels exceptionally steeply priced, even for an equipment that grants flying
Strandwalker, which is also very steep
There are also some cards which I think either hurt more than they help or don't do you much at all:
Prophetic Prism doesn't offer you any ramp and takes up a 2-drop spot. As someone with a 2-drop commander, you want to minimize the amount of other 2CMC cards in the deck because they get really awkward, especially in the first four turns. Turn two you're forced to choose between playing your 2-drop and your commander, and then turn 3 you have to decide between whichever you didn't choose and whatever good 3-drops you may have access to. It fucks up your whole curve.
- Shuko equips for free but basically does nothing else after that. The same is true for Leather Armor. It may or may not be worth it, up to you.
- Invulnerability may be slightly overcosted with buyback and you may be better running retroactive protection like Norn's Annex or Ghostly Prison.
- Keen-Eared Sentry may not do as much as it seems. Having Hexproof is nice and makes you feel safe, but I ran Aegis of the Gods in Azor for years and it almost never saved me from anything, not only because having hexproof isn't as strong as it seems but also because people will want to kill it very quickly if they do need to target you.
- I love the amount of repeatable combat effects in this deck, but they are worse than nothing if you don't have a board state that can take advantage of it. Some of those slots may be better used on other equipment or cards that care about them. If I were to cut any, it'd probably be Relentless Assault because it's not repeatable like Akki Battle Squad, Aurelia, and Waves of Aggression. This may also apply to Response / Resurgence since you can't fetch it with Sunforger and it's other half isn't super great.
- As wonderful as Lightning Greaves is for commander protection, it also prevents you from being able to attach any more auras or equipment to whichever creature it's attached to due to Shroud and I tend to not recommend it in Voltron decks. It's also a 2-drop. That one is just personal choice though.
- You may have one or two too many cards that reduce the cost of your artifacts. Yours are all so cheap and you may find yourself better off having something that draws you cards or cares about equipment than a card that only helps if you're trying to cast expensive artifacts. Since it's easy to kill and doesn't do much else, Starnheim Courser may at least be worth a cut, if not also Jhoira's Familiar due to mana cost alone.
- Quietus Spike and Scytheclaw have the same effect, which also isn't good enough to win the game on it's own since the damage cut happens after you deal damage, meaning you can literally never kill someone off of that trigger alone unless you leave them with exactly one life. Since Scytheclaw at least has Living Weapon, you may want to consider cutting Quietus Spike.
- Sword of Feast and Famine is good, but it isn't insane. If you don't already have one it's probably not worth spending 50 bucks on.
- The Ward you get from Amulet of Safekeeping in your Maybeboard might not be worth making all of your living weapon and Assemble the Legion tokens weaker.
- I love Assemble the Legion so much. It is one of my favorite cards in Magic. It may be my favorite enchantment period. It is also balls ass slow, expensive to cast, and doesn't synergize with your strategy. That one is up to you. I'd run it just because I like it, but it'd be the first card I cut if I needed to trim some fat.
- Mask of Immolation gives you an equipped creature, but it doesn't do much else for 2 mana. If it equipped for free it'd be different, but it's equip cost isn't cheap given how weak it's effect is. It's also a 2 drop.
- Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith is much better when you can throw his rocks, which you don't want to do in this deck because you want to keep them attached to things for Jor - meaning you're spending three mana for a guy who gives you one equipment that does nothing a turn.
- Leonin Shikari isn't something I'd say you should take out immediately, but you should keep an eye on it during playtesting. If you find you aren't taking advantage of her ability enough, cut her and replace her with something that isn't a 2-drop.
- Wrath of God may be better than Vanquish the Horde. That's just my opinion though.
All in all, what you keep and what you cut is up to you, this is just what sticks out to me personally. The closer you get to 100, the better. If you're able to cut it down to at least 104 or 105, try just playing without 4 or 5 of the cards you aren't sure about and playtest from there, then use those 4 or 5 as your maybeboard. Also this deck is really cool and I like it a lot.
multimedia on Updated Urza Precon Upgrade
2 months ago
Hey, on a low budget well done with upgrades so far to the precon. Research, Paradise, Padeem, Glimmervoid, Ethersworn, Extinction, Wurmcoil, the mana Myrs, Fellwar, Kappa, Raffines these are all fine upgrades.
Some cards from the precon to consider adding back in.
- Bident of Thassa, Liquimetal Torque, Skullclamp
- Armix, Filigree Thrasher, Sharuum the Hegemon, Cranial Plating
- Swiftfoot Boots, Unbreakable Formation
- Sunken Hollow, Prairie Stream
Bident of Thassa is very good, it's another artifact repeatable mass draw effect with Constructs. Liquimetal Torque is a mana rock for ramp or it can make Urza or Padeem an artifact and doing so makes these cards much better. If Urza is an artifact he gets all bonus for being one, gains his own menace making it easier to do Commander damage to opponent with him. 4/5 Urza without menace can still do Commander damage, but he's easier to block by opponent then if he has menace. When Padeem is an artifact it gains hexproof which increases protection a lot.
Skullclamp can be nice repeatable draw for the mana cost and by adding the mana Myrs then you added fodder that can die to draw cards when not useful anymore to make mana. You have sources of 1/1 Thopters and these pair well with Skullclamp. Armix, Filigree Thrasher is a 3 drop artifact creature to help Urza affinity and with menace it can be deceptively good repeatable creature removal.
The mana curve of the precon is very high and you haven't reduced it much. Even when not counting Extinction, Monitor, Ethersworn, Kappa and Urza Commander the mana curve here is still too high. Some cards to consider cutting to reduce the mana curve.
- Filigree Attendant, Access Denied, Urza's Command
- Etherium Spinner, Noxious Gearhulk, Scavenged Brawler
- Steel Seraph, Angel of the Ruins, Shimmer Dragon
- Jhoira's Familiar
Shimmer Dragon of these suggestions is a good card, but it's a high mana cost creature that's not an artifact and you can get better repeatable draw from less mana cost sources such as Bident of Thassa. Angel of the Ruins is another good card of these suggestions, but Meteor Golem is also a 7 drop who removes any nonland permanent. I think Meteor is better and you don't need both Angel and Meteor. You don't need Noxious Gearhulk since Necron Deathmark is a better creature removal effect for less mana. Flash is better than menace + life gain.
My favorite budget creature with blue artifact strategies is Master Transmuter. Some of best card art and has one of the most powerful repeatable effects with artifacts for it's price. Bounce any artifact you control and because Transmuter doesn't target then put that same artifact right back onto the battlefield.
This bounce interaction can give you a lot of value with artifacts that have an ETB ability for only 1 mana to bounce. Great with Monitor and Ethersworn. With Ethersworn after bouncing choose to put another artifact from your hand onto the battlefield or nothing since then you can cast Ethersworn again next turn to cascade again. Bounce Baleful or Infiltrator to put Wurmcoil onto the battlefield and then cast Baleful or Infiltrator next turn for more draw, etc.
Transmuter has many other uses too such as can save an artifact from opponent target removal or board wipe, bounce the artifact in response and then if not a board wipe put the artifact right back onto the battlefield safe. Can even bounce itself to protect itself.
Good luck with your deck.
EscapingBurger on You Dropped This
5 months ago
Thanks, Rogue's Passage definitely looks useful for a giant Broodstar or Master of Etherium.
As for combos, the big one is probably Chakram Retriever + Emry, Lurker of the Loch or Emry, Lurker of the Loch + Mirran Spy . You can tap Emry to cast an artifact from your graveyard, then immediately untap her to do it again. With a 0-cost sacrificible artifact like Urza's Bauble, you can do this as much as you want, which triggers things like Sai, Master Thopterist and Efficient Construction every time the artifact comes into play. You can also sacrifice Ornithopter to Ashnod's Altar repeatedly this way for infinite mana. Foundry Inspector, Etherium Sculptor and Jhoira's Familiar make more of your artifacts cheap or free so you can recur them more. You can even make Solemn Simulacrum cheap enough this way to sacrifice it to Ashnod's Altar and cast it again with the mana you get, repeating for as much land and card draw as you want.
The deck doesn't rely on infinite combos or anything, and even a simple trick like Aether Spellbomb + Emry, Lurker of the Loch can let you bounce a troublesome creature at least once per turn. A lot of the stuff in here is maybe more just good synergy than true combos.
Poly_raptor on Mishra, Eminent One | Artifact nonsense
5 months ago
Good question lol.
I did forget about Top, but I’m not someone that ever really plays top, but it could be a good addition.
Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge - I’m not running a heavy amount of creatures and planeswalkers, so giving them affinity seems like it’s a bit so so, because there’s a lot of ramp anyway, the expensive cards are also some of the non-creature artifacts. His abilities are good but he is quite a lot of mana.
Jhoira's Familiar is 4 mana, Etherium Sculptor, Enthusiastic Mechanaut and Cloud Key are cheaper.
In one of the first drafts I was running Contraband Kingpin which is similar to artificers assistant but I cut it because i often found id rather cast other things in hand in the play tests.
Mystic Forge always struck me as a combo card but could be useful I suppose.
Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain is similar to the answer I gave for the Koi, Skyswimmer Koi draws off etb not cast so draws from Mishra’s tokens entering. The other 2 don’t really fit the deck I don’t think?
What would you cut for any of the suggestions?
SweetDreamsies on Jhoira
6 months ago
Enthusiastic Mechanaut and Jhoira's Familiar for more reducing
hiiii on Sagas
6 months ago
Stenn, Paranoid Partisan could be cool? At first I was thinking Jhoira's Familiar, but that seems a bit expensive... Stormscape Familiar might also be an option, tho its package is much weaker for the same price. If you want free artifact drops for Urza's Saga, you could always look into artifact lands!
Gidgetimer on Does torpor orb stop jhoira, …
11 months ago
Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain doesn't trigger on ETB, it triggers on the spell being cast. Torpor Orb has no interaction with Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain.
If instead we use something that does trigger on an artifact entering the battlefield, like Kappa Cannoneer, you are correct Torpor Orb will stop the trigger from Jhoira's Familiar entering.
Monomanamaniac on Does torpor orb stop jhoira, …
11 months ago
So in this scenario I have Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain and Torpor Orb in play and I cast Jhoira's Familiar. The question is, do I get to draw a card? Torpor orb stops triggers from creature etbs, and the familiar is a creature, but jhoira isn't triggering because a creature entered but an artifact. I think the orb would block that draw but I'm not sure
|Want (8)||Aizakku , ArtistaFeo , Erlander , Wriggley , Amaterasu312 , LCsan , Lechim_Koval , Desilet|