|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Target creature gets +5/+5 until end of turn and must be blocked this turn if able.
Emergent Growth Discussion
3 months ago
It’s all good! Glad to see some passion with this. I totally agree Skullbriar is often overlooked and most of the decklists on here are certainly outdated a bit. I think that’s generally because most folks are turned off of Voltron decks, since they are so one-sided for the most part. In multiplayer they aren't viewed much as a threat.
I’d see how Inspiring and Expertise pan out for you and if they end uo being lame jank than totally take them out. To me, they seen like natural card draw fits for this deck.
If you keep collector in I would agree with your sentiment with removing your 1-2 mana rocks and put in some green (or black) ramp to avoid having it affect you. Simple stuff like Cultivate or Rampant Growth , Farseek , Crypt Ghast , etc.
I really like Bow of Nylea especially teamed up with stuff like Nemesis Mask or Enlarge or Emergent Growth (I’m sorry I keep bringing those up lol). A cool way to board wioe though. Plus the Bow adds counters which is what we want to do.
I say Fireshrieker over the flail because to me, if you go the route of the flail, I would just rather have Hot Soup. Straight evasion over double damage—in other words “guaranteed” damage over maybe double seems better to me. Plus double strike is nifty, strictly better to me than just double damage.
5 months ago
Hello fellow Skullbriar player,
I like your deck-list a lot! I like how you are running Triumph of the Hordes . I never really thought of going that direction for a win. You’re also running a lot more creatures which is cool to see!
Skullbriar for me, is the perfect deck to throw a bunch of combat trick stuff and janky pumps/unblockables like: Elbrus, the Binding Blade Flip, Hot Soup , Prowler's Helm , Epic Proportions , Gigantomancer , Emergent Growth , Berserk , Hatred , Hunt the Weak , Trailblazer's Boots , Burst of Strength , Might of Oaks and Enlarge (so hilarious to pull-off). Here is my Skullbriar brew
Hope some of that helps!
6 months ago
What about Emergent Growth ? Many people have brought up the lack of trample ad I’ve used this many times as a way around that build up lethal and then play this on an extra card and unless they counter spell or use removal to take them out of lethal you have your win
1 year ago
Too many lands. Cut it down to 40 at most, 38 at the least,. Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip and Rampaging Ferocidon are counter intuitive. you lost one life per creature to go wide, plus you creatures are huge so going wide will take a while.Kindred Summons has the same problem. Its really good, but only if you successfully go wide and not get board wiped. I recommend replacing it with Zendikar Resurgent. It doubles mana, gives you card draw, and keeps you in budget.
14 Ramp is a good number. Take out Hierophant's Chalice for Kodama's Reach. Hitting your land drops is just as important as ramping. try to keep most of your ramp under 4 CMC so you can reliably ramp early.
Ixalli's Diviner is too inconsistent. If you wiff the land drop, giving +1/+1 to a 0/3 is pretty useless.
Flying is great, but Haste is so much better. Even better than that is both: Fleetfeather Sandals. Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves are staple equipment in EDH. But, if you want to keep a flavor, Dinos don't wear equipment
Blinding Fog is ok. The fog effect is negligible. The mass Hexproof is good, but the are very rare occasions that there is mass targeting, so hexproof for a turn isn't great. It's a little pricey, but you might like Steely Resolve. It might backfire because it gives shroud so you can't target your creatures either, but keep it in mind.
You might like Descendants' Path over Sunbird's Invocation. It's not as consistent, but you can get it out much earlier. The draw back is that you might run through all your gas quick and screw yourself over in the long run, but you might also just run through everything.
Adaptive Automaton is nice, but not needed. Your creatures are already huge, so Anthems are kind of win more; you don't really need them. Small +1/+1 is nice if the card give you something else like Vanquisher's Banner. you already have that and Rite of Passage which can get ridiculous with the Enrage engine.
If you want to grow your enrage engine, AEther Flash might be an ok include. It can kill some of your creatures, but it can slow your opponent down a little if they are running a lot of small creatures
I'm sure you have something in mind for Emergent Growth but I don't know what.
If you take out what I suggested and not add anything you will be at 102 cards with 40 lands, or 100 with 38 lands.
1 year ago
I definitely love this deck! I am a huge fan of the dinosaurs in Ixalan. I think it is a great well put together deck! The only card I could suggest is maybe add an Emergent Growth. It can come in handy with making a creature block your creature along with the +5/+5, especially if you put on something with trample, like Colossal Dreadmaw. Other than that awesome deck!!
1 year ago
Hmmm, I'm not the most confident when it comes to sideboard. Generally, my strategy in sideboarding is comparing the strengths and weaknesses of my deck to the most frequent decks I'd play at my LGS. Based on that, I take out what isn't useful in my deck and add in what my be useful. That seems basic and self-explanatory; but for the life of me, I can't actually put it into practice effectively.
Based on what I see, you want to make sure that you can land your combo against high removal/control decks. You also will need something to survive long enough against aggro decks and burn decks and dino decks.
To that regard: I would actually move most of your sideboard into your mainboard, so that you can control the board until you can get your combo out. I'd made the following changes (again, these are suggestions -- feel free to disregard):
MainBoard: (Gives you more control until you can land your combo.)
- Remove: 4 Dive Down
- Remove: 3 Failed Inspection
- Remove: 3 Depths of Desire
- Remove: 4 Dunes of the Dead
- Add: 3 Spell Pierce
- Add: 2 Cancel or Disallow
- Add: 3 Essence Scatter
- Add: 2 Winds of Rebuke or Galestrike
- Add: 2 Scavenger Grounds
- Add: 2 Ixalli's Diviner
Sideboard: (Adds protection against aggro and wide)
2 years ago
clayperce Thank you for the shout out.
Jables1987 Welcome to magic. I'm still newish myself, so welcome welcome welcome. Your deck is actually pretty solid. I have a few thoughts here that may improve it, but it is not in a bad place at all! Kudos!
1) I would remove 3 Channeler Initiate and add 1 Drover of the Mighty and 1 Otepec Huntmaster. You don't need the extra ramp from Channeler Initiate, and Drover of the Mighty and Otepec Huntmaster synergize much better with your dinos. Also, add 1 Commune with Dinosaurs; the value of fixing your curve or fishing for a finisher is a great utility.
2) Personal preference: I would remove Unclaimed Territory and add two basic lands. You're only running two colors with the dual lands to support them. I personally prefer to have the mana colors I need without a limitation of what I can spend it on. With a full playset of Drover of the Mighty and Commune with Dinosaurs, I think the chances of you being starved for a specific color are pretty low. Again, just personal preference.
3) I thought about Glorybringer and Rhonas the Indomitable myself. They do have a home here with Glorybringer providing some removal and aerial coverage; and Rhonas the Indomitable providing trample (as well as its own sturdy 5/5 body). That said, I wouldn't run both. I'd remove either one of them to complete your play set of Regisaur Alpha. Regisaur Alpha is a much more potent threat, increases the tempo of your deck with dino-haste, and brings a 3/3 trample-saur with it. (NOTE: If you do keep Rhonas the Indomitable, see if you can work in Emergent Growth. Paired with Rhonas, it is a very potent combo. It kills up to 10 creatures blocking it and clears the way for your other attackers. But don't break your curve to play this combo.)
4) Sideboard: Sideboard for me is tough as well. You gotta think about what needs to come out and go in against certain match ups. That said, your sideboard looks pretty good. I would remove Lightning Strike since you're already running 7 removal spells Savage Stomp and Abrade mainboard. I like the 4th Abrade in the sideboard. With vampires, cats, and scarab decks going wide in the standard, I would recommend removing both Chandra's Defeat and maybe one Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip for 3 Rampaging Ferocidon. Your mainboard doesn't have much to deal with go-wide decks. Rampaging Ferocidon punishes those decks passively and doesn't interfere with your curve too badly. Scavenger Grounds is always a tough call for me. It's great against control decks, but with Deathgorge Scavenger in your main board, you might be able to free up these spots in your Sideboard. I think it comes down to personal preference.
5) Maybeboard: I would not run Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip or Slice in Twain. Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip doesn't help your curve. It would likely transform around turn 5; at which point, you either want to drop Regisaur Alpha (if you didn't get him on turn 4) or Carnage Tyrant. Slice in Twain is a bit much for removal and you get the card advantage from Ripjaw Raptor.
Overall good deck! Kudos friend! Feel free to check out my Dino Deck.
2 years ago
Remove: Ancient Brontodon, Cobbled Wings, Emergent Growth, Frenzied Raptor, Ixalli's Keeper, Looming Altisaur, Magmasaur, Pterodon Knight, Raptor Companion, Shining Aerosaur, Slash of Talons, Thrash of Raptors, Bonded Horncrest
Add: Deathgorge Scavenger, Fungusaur, regisaur alpha , Ripjaw raptor , Snapping Sailback, Steadfast Armasaur, Thundering Spineback, Verdant Sun's Avatar, Wakening Sun's Avatar, Huatli, Warrior Poet, Vanquisher's Banner, Growing Rites of Itlimoc , and one land to compensate for the price of some of your stuff.
No data for this card yet.